Saturday, February 18, 2012

How To Roast Your Own Almonds and Save $$!

I am a HUGE almond fan! I actually begin to panic when I realize there aren’t any in the house! (Don’t believe me? Ask the hubster…he will vouch for my “nuttiness”! haha…I crack myself up.)  They are my go-to snack when I’m hungry and just need a pick-me-up. I LOVE the flavor and the crunch!

I used to eat Smokehouse almonds…but about a year ago switched over to the Raw almonds because I knew they would be a lot healthier than all that salt. I liked those well enough until one day I spied the Unsalted Dry Roasted Almonds in our grocery store’s bulk food bins. I was HOOKED!

I realize that they’re probably not quite as healthy as the raw almonds (something about the roasting taking out the vitamins…or something like that) but I just love the flavor that the roasting brings out…not to mention the satisfying CRUNCH! :-)  Ever since then I have been shelling out (get it…shelling? lol) $5.99 a pound for these babies! (Sometimes I can get them on sale for $4.99 a pound).  That adds up when you buy as much as I do! Besides, half the time I go to buy some, the darn bin is EMPTY because apparently I’m not the ONLY one that likes them! Darn other shoppers, taking “my” almonds.

So, the other day my sister Rebecca and I were at Costco and came across the big bags of almonds they sell there.  Unfortunately I can’t take credit for this idea…because it was big sis who came up with the idea of buying the big bag of Raw almonds and just roasting them at home. I have to admit that my first thought was “Well, I’m sure they won’t be the SAME!”  And guess what? I was right! They weren’t the same…they were BETTER!  I just couldn’t believe that my favorite almonds could be improved upon…but in THAT thinking…I was WRONG.

I Googled “how to roast almonds” (which is ridiculously easy by the way!) and 10 minutes later I had 3 pounds of DELICIOUS dry roasted almonds for $9.99 vs. the $17.97 the same amount would have cost me at the grocery store! Hard to argue with that!

How to dry roast almonds:

Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread almonds on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until they are golden brown and fragrant. Note that because of their high oil content, the almonds will continue to roast after you remove them from the oven.

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

16 thoughts on “How To Roast Your Own Almonds and Save $$!

1. John and Peggy

Hi I just found your blog today on Pinterest. So far, looks like lots of good things! I found a recipe on Martha Stewart that we like. You roast 12 oz. on a cookie sheet and roast for 15 minutes at 350 (I might try less time though like you suggest). You are supposed to stir them a couple of times while they bake. After they cool, you mix 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt in a bowl and toss the almonds in that. They are pretty tasty!

2. Pingback: Afternoon Snack…Chocolate ‘Bark’ made with Coconut Oil

3. Rebecca

I love a big hershey bar with my roasted almonds! Throw in a Diet Coke and I’ll follow you anywhere. Note: this is a very bad habit, don’t start with the chocolate, stick to almonds only!

4. Nancy

I’ve done this for years. MUCH better flavor! I also grind up about 10 – 15 almonds and add it to brown rice before cooking ~ it adds a wonderful flavor and crunch to whatever rice dish you’re going to make.

5. Marcia

That sounds so easy! Will definitely give it a try asap, and the idea of adding ground nuts to rice sounds fantastic. Another good use for almonds is adding rough chopped to chicken salad sandwiches! Sounded weird at first, but it adds that crunch that is so good.

6. Sonja

I just did this last night! I have roasted pecans before – for a specific recipe… last night, i was contemplating some almonds and walnuts (we have big bags of raw nuts in the house at all times!). I had the crazy thought – roasting the pecans made them crunchier and a bit tastier (of course when you add caramel and chocolate to them, they become unbelievably YUM – but whatever) … so I just spread them both out on a pan, roasted them and sprinkled them with a LITTLE salt… and YUM-O – my hubby and I spent the next 30 minutes trying to eat them without burning our mouths (hint – waiting for them to cool is better because when they are really hot, they are too soft and … well… HOT)

7. Pingback: How To Make Almond Milk | One Good Thing by Jillee

8. Pingback: The “Secret” To Making Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets | One Good Thing by Jillee

9. Pingback: Healthy Chocolate for Chocoholics « RubenSr.

10. Pingback: Simple Handmade Gifts – Part Seven | One Good Thing by Jillee

11. Pingback: Healthy Granola « RubenSr.

12. Julie

Okay, all of the recipes I’ve found for roasting almonds say to roast for 10-15 minutes. Mine don’t taste roasted at all for that amount of time. I don’t want them to burn but this just isn’t getting done. Anyone else have this issue? I’m actually cooking them on a baking stone (which is better as it’s a more even cooking surface) and even leaving them to cool on this they still weren’t done enough.

Thanks!

13. Julie

Okay, I’ve roasted and never find that 10-15 minutes is enough time. The nuts don’t taste ‘roasted’ unless I roast them for closer to 1/2 hour. What am I doing wrong? I’m cooking them on a baking stone, which is better at regulating the temperature they are cooking at.

Anyone else find this?