Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

So here is the revised
Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Share on Facebook1,123Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest372,011Google+13

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I made this using vitamin e cream, vitamin e oil Vaseline, and lavender baby lotion. Wow! This stuff is great to put on your feet at night then cover in socks. Also, when you are going to be running errands all day wear your socks with tennis shoes then you are able to put this great moisturizer on b 4 the socks. I just can not say enough good things about it. PS: I purchased vitamin e cream at Kroger. I do know that my dollar store carries vitamin e oil at fairly inexpensive price.

2. Anonymous says

I'm wondering, can Shea butter be substituted for the baby lotion? I'd rather not put the mass marketed product with who knows what ingredients on my skin. …and no petroleum anything either.

Thank you for sharing this recipe!

3. Anonymous says

i would love to try and make the lotion, but have not found a place to buy the vitamin e cream, where do i go!!??

4. Anonymous says

Would this cream be okay as a daily face moisturizer?
    i know coconut oil and vitamin e cream are both good for your face, but I'm not sure about the baby lotion

5. Anonymous says

I found your blog on Pinterest and I am so glad I did!!! I can't wait to try this lotion.

6. windi says

To Abby who posted on March 4….
    please repost when you try softening and mixing your coconut oil. I had the same problem and thought about softening it – but then didn't know how it would re-solidify…..so i chickened out. Can't wait to hear about your results.
    ~windi

7. Jill Nystul says

I've never heard of coconut manna before…but apparently it's something like coconut butter? I say give it a try and see! :-) I'm all for experimenting!

8. Dawn says

Hello I am a new pintrister and I LOVE ALL your natural and money saving cleaning products. I keep reading about essential oils. What are they and where do I find them. I went to Hobby Lobby and they knew nothing. Thank you for all your help and tips.

9. IAM says

Just made my first batch ~ about half of the recipe since I noticed when I got home that my baby lotion from the Dollar Store was only 10 oz., so I adjusted accordingly. The only thing I would change is making it fresh out of the shower so I can use it ~ since I had so much on my hands and in the bowl and on the mixer, but didn't 'need' it at the time. Also made a complete mess trying to make a funnel and get the lotion in a lotion pump ~ fail! I wonder if this is just extending the life of the baby lotion, though??????? Oh, and my local Dollar Store didn't have Vitamin E cream, so I had to buy it from Walmart.

1. [...] Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion reviews – MakeupalleyYahoo! Canada Answers – Have you ever used Baby Lotion as face …Buy Johnson’s Baby Lotion, Aloe Vera & Vitamin E & More – DrugstoreBuy Mustela Hydra-Bebe Face, Light Facial Moisturizing Cream for …14 Best Moisturizers for the FaceNature’s Baby™ Organics Baby Face & Body Moisturizer Fragrance …Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion | One Good Thing by … [...]