Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion

Homemade lotion

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right “recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!

I found this semi-homemade version on PatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me. Simple, inexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

Homemade lotion

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion; 8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream

But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how good it smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.

My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.

Homemade lotion

So here is the revised

Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:

16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.

Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!

Homemade lotion

I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)

Cost breakdown:

• Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
  • Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
  • Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50

Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.

Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.

Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)

{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKE one on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

Homemade lotion

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest383,812Google+0

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I made this using vitamin e cream, vitamin e oil Vaseline, and lavender baby lotion. Wow! This stuff is great to put on your feet at night then cover in socks. Also, when you are going to be running errands all day wear your socks with tennis shoes then you are able to put this great moisturizer on b 4 the socks. I just can not say enough good things about it. PS: I purchased vitamin e cream at Kroger. I do know that my dollar store carries vitamin e oil at fairly inexpensive price.

• Chris says

I get vitamin E cream at dollar general store for $1.00, I just love this lotion and I use it everyday. Great on the feet and elbows.

• danna says

The only thing I can add to this is a tube of Preparation H!!!! I’ve been making this for about 3 years. My sister in law gave me a jar of it and then the directions….it’s simple and is also wonderful

• Linda Z. says

what does the Preparation H do to it? would u substitute it for the vaseline?

• Carlee says

I’m not quite sure about the addition of preparation H and its benefits…. But I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that since preparation H constricts the blood vessels to reduce swelling and discomfort that maybe it’s good for things like varicose veins and redness?

• Alice Van Doran says

Hi!! I was wondering why the Prep H???

Thanks! Looking forward to your response!!

Alice

• danna says

This is what I do also. Preparation H. I have an 80 yr old from my church whom I gave a jar of it and when she found out it have Prep H in it, she started using it on her face!!!! Told her NOT to get it on/in her eyes.
        Mine is the same story…Sister in law gave me a jar and then the directions!!!! And I’ve been making for about 3 years!!!!

• Trish says

I made this, but I had to substitute cocoa butter lotion for the baby lotion, since it was what I had on hand. I love it! It makes a great night cream on my face.
      I’m going to have to work on my coconut oil whipping skills, because it was lumpy, so I had to put the mixture in a makeshift double boiler, then blend it.
      Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My next project, what else? Mason jar lotion Despenser.

• Debbie says

Coconut oil has two kinds of oils. They solidify at different temperatures. You will notice small round balls within the bulk of the solid. So using solid coconut oil, there is naturally lumps. If you would like it all smooth, you can measure out your cup of solid and warm it up in the microwave until it is all liquid, then immediately place in the fridge until solid. Doing this solidifies both oils at the same rate — so no lumps.

2. Anonymous says

I'm wondering, can Shea butter be substituted for the baby lotion? I'd rather not put the mass marketed product with who knows what ingredients on my skin. …and no petroleum anything either.

Thank you for sharing this recipe!

3. Anonymous says

i would love to try and make the lotion, but have not found a place to buy the vitamin e cream, where do i go!!??

4. Anonymous says

Would this cream be okay as a daily face moisturizer?
    i know coconut oil and vitamin e cream are both good for your face, but I'm not sure about the baby lotion

• Darlene says

I would think the baby lotion would be really good.
      It is used all over a baby.
      And it would make us smell wonderful.

5. Anonymous says

I found your blog on Pinterest and I am so glad I did!!! I can't wait to try this lotion.

6. windi says

To Abby who posted on March 4….
    please repost when you try softening and mixing your coconut oil. I had the same problem and thought about softening it – but then didn't know how it would re-solidify…..so i chickened out. Can't wait to hear about your results.
    ~windi

• Abby says

I totally forgot that I’d posted on this! I didn’t end up rewarming it, we had a 90+ degree day a couple days ago, and it got warm enough in our bedroom that the coconut oil did melt, I was able to mix it back up with my finger and when it cooled off again the lotion was perfect! no lumps! So I would say either throw it in a double boiler and heat gently until smooth or wait until it’s 90+ in your bedroom. =)

7. Jill Nystul says

I've never heard of coconut manna before…but apparently it's something like coconut butter? I say give it a try and see! :-) I'm all for experimenting!

• Carlee says

Coconut manna is NOT the same thing. I bought it thinking I could try it like coconut oil and was sadly disappointed. It has a much denser texture and does not melt or spread like coconut oil.

8. Dawn says

Hello I am a new pintrister and I LOVE ALL your natural and money saving cleaning products. I keep reading about essential oils. What are they and where do I find them. I went to Hobby Lobby and they knew nothing. Thank you for all your help and tips.

• Suzanne says

Dawn,
      Essential oils are the natural extracts from plants and flowers, and can be used in many applications. They are best when bought as “pure”…no fake stuff added. You can find them at Whole Foods, or most any health food type store. My favorite is lavender. You can also get them online…just google “pure essential oils”. I hope I explained this right, and I hope it helps.

• Megan E. says

I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and they had some essential oils. They are by the soap making stuff. They also have fragrances you can add to soaps and lotions in that section too. If you want you can try looking on their website and try searching for soap making stuff. I found some on there as well.

• Raye love says

Can also find lots of things by googling natural foods or pantries in your area. Can also use GNC in a pinch, which I’ve had to do a time or two. Hope this helps ;)

• Teresa says

Dont trust the people at Hobby Lobby to know what or where anything is. After 5 years of being a college art student with Hobby Lobby being my only supply option, I can promise you that pretty much no one on the staff knows anything about the stock.

9. IAM says

Just made my first batch ~ about half of the recipe since I noticed when I got home that my baby lotion from the Dollar Store was only 10 oz., so I adjusted accordingly. The only thing I would change is making it fresh out of the shower so I can use it ~ since I had so much on my hands and in the bowl and on the mixer, but didn't 'need' it at the time. Also made a complete mess trying to make a funnel and get the lotion in a lotion pump ~ fail! I wonder if this is just extending the life of the baby lotion, though??????? Oh, and my local Dollar Store didn't have Vitamin E cream, so I had to buy it from Walmart.

• Linda Moore says

Try using a canning funnel. It is wider and fits perfectly in the canning jars.

• Beth says

Try shoveling your cream into a ziplock bag, snipping the bottom corner and squeezing it into the pump bottle. =) Just like icing a cake.

• Erin says

I stick my lotion in a ziptop bag, cut off a corner of the bag, and “pipe” it into containers. Funnels are very difficult for me but the bag seems to work great!

1. […] Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion reviews – MakeupalleyYahoo! Canada Answers – Have you ever used Baby Lotion as face …Buy Johnson’s Baby Lotion, Aloe Vera & Vitamin E & More – DrugstoreBuy Mustela Hydra-Bebe Face, Light Facial Moisturizing Cream for …14 Best Moisturizers for the FaceNature’s Baby™ Organics Baby Face & Body Moisturizer Fragrance …Make Your Own SIMPLE Moisturizing Lotion | One Good Thing by … […]