How to Clean Your Stainless Steel Appliances

The other day my sister and I were enjoying a rare lunch date together and “talking shop”. We were brainstorming ideas for our respective websites (you can wander over to my big sisters blog: Camp Wander) when she mentioned that I simply HAD to do a post about how to clean stainless steel in the kitchen!  Since I don’t have any stainless steel appliances, it hadn’t occurred to me that this would be an issue for people who do. But according to my sister, it’s a BIG issue! She said she has tried countless store-bought cleaners to try and restore the clean and shine to her stainless steel appliances, but to no avail.

Of course when I hear “store-bought cleaners”, I tend to get a little nutso! lol.  So I decided I was going to find an alternative for her ineffective and over-priced arsenal of cleaning products that weren’t doing squat for her stainless steel.

After a LOT of research I came up with what I THOUGHT sounded like just the ticket! But of course not having anything in MY “test kitchen” to try it out on…I had to send the formula over to Rebecca’s beautiful, newly remodeled kitchen for actual testing.  So thank you Rebecca, for helping me out with today’s blog post and for helping out your fellow stainless steel afficionados.

The stainless steel cleaner “recipe” I found comes from Leslie Reichert’s book, “The Joy of Green Cleaning”.

(You can also view the video here)

Ingredients:

1 cup of baking soda
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 Tablespoons Borax
Club Soda

Combine first 3 ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Then add just enough club soda to make a thick paste.

Dip a rag into the paste and rub onto your stainless steel appliances. Gently then wipe off with wet rag.

Four simple ingredients that will leave your stainless steel appliances SPOTLESS!

Here is photographic evidence:

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Wow!  Look at the shine on that thing! Doesn’t it look nice??  (I’m trying really hard right now not to be jealous of her beautiful new kitchen!)

Rebecca wanted me to pass this along:  “I have countless cleaners for stainless steel and none come close to this kind of clean and shine!”

Pretty high praise I’d say!

Stainless steel appliance owners: you now have a powerful ally in the fight against smudges and fingerprints…..

go forth and clean!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest5,681Google+0

Comments

1. jenna says

even easier….friend’s cleaning lady mixes 1/3 pine sol and 2/3 water in a spray bottle. spray on and wipe off with a soft, dry cloth. sparkles! the pine sol cuts the grease from fingers.

Jenna, I’ve tried that too. You’re right, it does cut the grease but stainless steel can also get something like hard water stains, I’ve had a drip mark on my stainless steel dishwasher that ran from top to bottom. Nothing has touched it until this. It’s the grit of the baking soda I’m sure that removed it. This concoction actually buffs the stainless, it’s really nice!

3. Patty says

I’ve been bugged by a drip-line myself, Rebecca, on our dishwasher, so I’m very excited to try this! Nothing I’ve used has touched it yet. Thanks for being Jillee’s test subject!

4. Patricia says

DIY a few years back suggested using plain ole’ olive oil. I have tried it and it does work fab, but Jillee is great at find workable alternatives. However, olive oil is cheap and super easy.

5. Eileen says

WD-40 works for me! I clean with fantastic, then give a quick spray of WD-49, wipe off with a soft cloth and it’s beautiful and shiny. Keeps fingerprints away for the whole week too!

Your miracle cleaner (hydrogen perxyde / baking soda) did a great job on my stainless steel stove. Maybe I´ll try this one too, but what is club soda? Is it just bubbly water? (I´m german and I just don`t know). Please enlighten me!

I infuse a rag with baby oil, and seal it in a ziploc bag. just polish the stainless with the rag. it will get rid of water stains, and even prevent fingerprints. don’t use too much oil, just a small amount, and then buff the surface with a dry rag.

8. Kim says

Ok here’s one that’s even easier- use a soft dusting cloth sprayed with ….furniture polish!! no kidding it really works! So when you are all done dusting head to the kitchen and hit those appliances too. Removes smudges, fingerprints, drips. Does not smear and acutally seems to prevent future ones.

Can’t wait to try this, thank you! Have used pledge on my fridge , oven, dishwasher and trash can. It seem to prevent the fingerprints, smudges, and dirt from comming back. This seem like it would be great for water makrs etc.

9. Amanda says

Olive oil is probably the best method I have tried yet…. until we got a dog. He follows up our cleaning with a good licking of the dishwasher. Plan B was WD 40 but I feel bad about the spray/chemical use. I will give your mixture a try soon.