I love the challenge of trying to make a homemade version of something that works just as well as its store-bought counterpart. And if I can do that using things I already happen to have on hand, that’s just the icing on the cake! :-)
And that’s precisely how I ended up with my recipe for a homemade vapor rub (à la Vicks), which I’ll be sharing with you in today’s blog post! It works like a charm for easing congested airways, making it a useful addition to any cold and flu “survival kit!”
What’s In It?
Let’s start with a quick overview of the four ingredients that go into this vapor rub, and how they work together to clear up congestion and quiet coughs:
- Virgin Coconut Oil – This thick, moisturizing oil provides the base of the rub, absorbing slowly into the skin to give the other ingredients time to work.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Helps to soothe inflamed sinuses and overheated skin.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – Opens airways and promotes deep and easy breathing.
- Lemon Essential Oil – Aids in reducing inflammation and helps keep germs at bay.
How To Make Your Own All-Natural Vapor Rub
In your microwave or a double boiler, gently melt the coconut oil until it is completely liquified. Add the peppermint, eucalyptus, and lemon oils to the melted coconut oil and stir to combine.
Pour the oil mixture into a small jar and allow it to solidify. You can do it quickly by placing it in the fridge, or leave it out on the counter if you’re not in a hurry to use it.
How To Use It
Apply the vapor rub to your chest, neck, and back, the same way you would use the store-bought stuff. The essential oils will help open airways, loosen coughs, and provide a pleasantly cool tingling sensation.
Don’t apply this mixture to broken skin, sensitive skin, or your face. (The pleasant tingling sensation of peppermint oil feels a lot less pleasant anywhere near your eyes!)
A Note About Kids
For young children, use about half the amount of essentials oils listed in this recipe. Avoid using it on children under two. Instead, add a couple drops of eucalyptus essential oil to a diffuser to help ease congestion.
- You can easily adjust this recipe to make a smaller amount of vapor rub.
- This mini version of the recipe will make just enough to see you through your cold without having a lot leftover!
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, pour it into a 2-ounce glass jar, and add 5 drops of peppermint oil, 5 drops of eucalyptus oil, and 3 drops of lemon oil.
- Stir with a bamboo skewer and allow to solidify before using.
What are your must-haves for surviving a bout of cold or flu?