New Life For Old Cookie Sheets . . . Again.

This post is brought to you by Amazon where you can get deals on household cleaners!

cooking-sheetYesterday we celebrated the hubster’s birthday! (Happy Birthday hun!) So it was a pretty low key day with regards to blogging and anything blogging related. Basically I didn’t do a whole lot. Instead we went out for breakfast and had decadent strawberry french toast…did a little shopping in the afternoon…and tonight went out for Mexican food and then home for German Chocolate cupcakes…the hubsters’s fav.)

Even though “blogging” was the furthest thing from my mind…while I was washing up some dishes in the morning, I came across one of my “much loved” cookie sheets that I hadn’t attempted any “miracle cleaning” on …..yet.

For some reason I was in the mood to experiment….so I did. I decided to pull out my trusty duo of Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide and let it works its’ magic….again. But…this time I took a little different approach than in times past.

In the past I would make a paste of the two and start scrubbing. Today I decided to add an ingredient. Time. I didn’t feel like actually DOING much scrubbing, etc….but I had TIME to see what the “Miracle Cleaner” could accomplish if left to its own devices for awhile…without any interference from me.

I am here to report: “miracle cleaner” + TIME = RESULTS!

I started out with a medium-sized circle on the badly stained backside of this jelly roll pan that I have had for a million years.  I wanted to try a “test patch” if you will just to see if it was worth trying out on the whole pan. You better believe it was!

After sprinkling the spot with baking soda, then hydrogen peroxide, then another layer of baking soda… I left it sitting there like that while we went to breakfast. When we got home I rubbed a little of the cleaner off and was actually quite astonished to see MOST of the gunk came right off! Minimal rubbing with my fingers (you could use a scrubbie too) was required.

This, of course, meant I HAD to try it on the rest of the pan. But hey….if all it involved was sprinkling on some baking soda…sprinkling on some hydrogen peroxide and then sprinkling on a little MORE baking soda….and waiting….I could do that.

Looks like SNOW in May!

Besides….we were still going out to dinner AND had the American Idols Finale to watch! It would have plenty of time to “work”.

And WORK…it did!  Just about 2 hours later I checked on the experiment…(I couldn’t wait any longer! I was too curious!) I wiped/rubbed away one corner of the cleaning concoction…and felt almost giddy with excitement! There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with me! :-)

I then proceeded to wipe/rub off the rest and well….the pictures, as usual, speak for themselves.

Not perfect…yet…but a VAST improvement!

Remember folks….this was accomplished with literally NO SCRUBBING involved! The dynamic duo did all the “work”….while all *I* had to do was TRY to be patient! A fairly daunting task for YOURS TRULY.

But when faced with a choice between BEING PATIENT and SCRUBBING….I’ll take the former. :-)

Can’t wait to get to work on the OTHER side and the edges. I’m thinking a good, long shopping trip to the “big city” should suffice in keeping me away from it while it does its work!  Hey….a girl does what a girl’s gotta do! :-)

This post is brought to you by Amazon:

Share on Facebook1943Tweet about this on Twitter54Pin on Pinterest121733Google+13

Comments

1. Andrea says

I love this blog! Little tips like this give me a reason to go buy stuff like Peroxide. Sure, I should already have some in my house for my first aid kit, but then it never gets used and I end up throwing away full bottles that have been expired for 4 years… Now I have a use for it other than expiring in my first aid kit.

My stepdad manages rental property and so he does a lot of cleaning of really terrible things. He says that the mistake most people make is assuming that they have to do the work. You should find a good cleaner for the job you need to do and then get it on there and go away. Let it do it’s work. Sometimes, you’ll still have a little scrubbing to do, but nothing like if you just started scrubbing right away.

Which is one of the reasons why he’s so interested in my new homemade cleaners, because with the storebought stuff, you’re walking a thin line between giving it the time it needs and letting the harsh chemicals eat away at the surface.

3. Katie says

You must have been reading my mind. I have the brown build up around the edges and on the backs of my pans too, and I was just wondering yesterday what would take that off without a ton of scrubbing. I love all of your tips and tricks and read your blog daily and I “pin” most of your posts. Keep them coming!

4. Nicole says

I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this site regularly! I go home with a new cleaning experiment or homemade cleaner recipe and I am so excited, and the best part the results are always amazing! Thank so much for all your hard work, it truly has made me a happy camper and my house sparkles and shines much longer between cleanings:)

5. Annika says

My husband wants to thank you for all of your cleaning tips. I read your blog daily, and then when
    there is a new tip I’m like you and go “I have to try that.” Needless to say, our house is a lot cleaner than it was before. He’s very OCD about cleanliness( I’m more of a chaotic type) so he’s a lot less stressed now. Thanks Jillee!

I am going to try this on the back of my good Pampered Chef professional cookware that my hubby uses. Needless to say I have given up trying to keep the back of egg/saute pan clean. LOL I’ll let you know how it works.

7. Frank Green says

Every year I replace fishing lures because they dull, stain etc. I just tried your miracle cleaner and saved a ton of money with newly refreshed lures. It makes the spinners shine, and removed the unknown gunk that seems to build up mysteriously. I had one white hair jig that was headed for the trash because the hair and threads were so stained with rust. I used the +time method and the jig is back to white as new. Thanks.

Not long after I read this, someone left a grimy toaster oven on the “giveaway” table in my office. It looked disgusting. I took it home and tried the “miracle cleaning” formula. I didn’t even have to wait an hour to see how well this stuff just lifted the grease and grime right off the oven door. I plastered this stuff all over the oven – inside and out. It doesn’t even look like the same junk toaster no one wanted. Now I have a “like new” 6 slice Bella Kitchen convection toaster oven for free!

9. Nelson's Mama says

I have several half-jelly roll pans that have multiple uses; my husband snags them occasionally and uses them as drips pans under the grill (don’t get me started) when he does ribs or smokes butts. They are nearly impossible to clean-up – I learned that you can put them in the oven and run them through a self-clean cycle and they come out looking nearly brand new. This WILL NOT work on non-stick pans and they never cook as good as they did when new; so I keep them separate from my “good” ones and always make sure to put parchment or silicone on them if I need to use them!

10. Angie says

I have for years used hydrogen peroxide and ammonia (equal amounts in a spray bottle) it is an amazing stain remover and I have never had a problem with fading my fabrics or anything. It is amazing on grease spots and food stains. I also put baking soda in my wash and use baking soda all over my kitchen but for some reason have never thought to mix baking soda and peroxide. Thanks for the tip and I LOVE the pics.

11. Amber says

My kitchen counter tops are white tile with what used to be white grout. I put the baking soda and peroxide paste on the grout and waited a few hours. Well this worked, the grout is now white with just a small amount of scrubbing on my part. Thanks

12. Amber k says

Thank u so much! Im hoping u just saved me many $$$ by not having to replace my pans!! Granted i have had them for like 7 years, but as someone that wud rather spend money on crafts… Love this!! Thanks again!

13. Helen says

I’m hooked. My granddaughter introduced me to Pintrist and I love it! I keyed into this one to see if someone could tell me how to restore my Calphalon cookie – I clean them thoroughly, but used parchment paper to bake bread & wound up with a sticky, greasy film in the middle of the pans. Don’t know what happened – love the bread, hate the messed-up cookie sheet. I’ll try the baking soda-ammonia idea, and maybe the ketchup one, too! Thanks to all of you for brightening my day! And Sara, if you see this, thanks again! Love you!

14. Debby J says

I tried your method for cleaning baking sheets. Perhaps mine were too far gone, but it did not work. I left them “soak” overnight and still nothing. Guess I will just have to leave them for the drip pans and use new ones.

15. natalia says

I’m not sure if I did something wrong, but I like Debby J let them soak all night and nothing came off. I poured on the peroxide and put on a lot of baking soda… Any suggestions on what will help would be greatly appreciated!

• Shawna says

If the baking soda and peroxide method isn’t working for you, you could try ammonia. I use it on my gas range grates and it works beautifully. Just put them in a large trash back with a few table spoons worth of ammonia and let them sit (outside to avoid fumes) over night. The fumes actually soften the gunk so that it wipes right off with minimal scrubbing. :)

• Karen says

Ammonia was my mom’s secret for cleaning anything greasy & cooked on. She even throws the oven shelves & outdoor grill stuff in a sealed trash bag with the ammonia and it works beautifully!

• Zimi says

There’s an all natural liquid soap that I use for the toughest baked on grease. It works on old and baked on grease. I use it to clean ovens, too. It has to be diluted with water as it is very concentrated.

It is so natural that some people take it internally to use it as a cleanse to rid their body of parasites.

It may seem expensive but, for example, it costs less than a cannister of oven cleaner. It costs less than $1 an ounce. I use 2 ounces in a spray bottle with about 8 ounces of water. I warm up my oven to just a bit warmer than warm but not real hot. I shut it off and I spray the soap solution inside the oven and on the racks. I shut the door and leave it overnight. The next day, I just wipe everything with a wet cloth.

This soap is great for bubbles in baths too. It draws toxins out of the body. You never will have to clean the tub again. It leaves everything shining. You only use 1 or 2 ounces in the bath so the cost can be under $1 if you use 1 ounce per bath.

Here’s the website if you want to check it out….

If you want to know other uses for this soap and how much to use for various jobs, send me an email and I’ll try to find them for you.

• Rosie Barboza says

I just tried it yesterday, it worked beautifully. I let it sit for about 4 hrs. Most of it came right off. Only one burner didn’t come off as easy but with a little scrubbing it cleaned out pretty good. I’m definitely cleaning them again this way.

16. Hello it's me says

I have two things I use for this. One requires a pan big enough to immerse the grungy one in. Put the grungy one in the bigger pan, add enough water to completely cover it plus another inch or so. Cook it in the oven for 30-60 minutes, depending on how grungy it is. Take it out carefully so you don’t burn yourself or spill the hot water. Rinse both pans off in hot water. That should do it, but repeat if necessary. I use foil disposable turkey baking pans for the biggest things, like iron skillets. I rinse out the foil pan and keep it though. This will clean an ancient crusty, rusty, nasty second-hand iron skillet with ease. Wash and dry iron immediately and re-season it as soon as possible afterwards.

Method #2 – Not nearly as green as the first or yours. Dawn makes a gel that comes in a spray bottle. It works great, although it may take more than once if the pan is really nasty. I use this for things with wooden or plastic handles that I can’t “bake” in the oven. It does wonders for my metal mesh splatter screen I use when I fry things.

Solution for nasty drip pans~~ get one of those silicon pads made for lining the bottom of a stove or microwave, line the pan with it. It would be easier to just get a new cookie sheet and save the old one as a permanent drip pan. Then it wouldn’t matter what it looked like.

17. Mary says

I use something similar to clean the sticky goo left from a sticker on a metal surface and also for cleaning my stainless tea kettle. Make a paste of baking soda and Dawn dish soap. Rub paste with your finger or with an old tooth brush for stubborn stain. Makes any dirty stainless steel item brand spanking new.

18. cyndi says

Can’t wait to try this. I have another tip for you. My city water leaves an orange film on my fiberglass shower walls. My grandmother suggested using fumeless oven cleaner. Spray it on, leave for five minutes, scrub lightly with a stiff brush and rinse. It was so simple and my shower looks brand new. It even took the spots off the floor the bleach always misses.

19. Thelma says

What Will work on non stick in most cases is a citrus-pumice based hand cleaner. I like the orange one. Smear it all over and leave it even over night then just wash off. Even if you feel you MUST rub it won’t harm you non stick surface. I’ve used it in my cleaning business for years.

1. [...] is another one making the rounds about using baking soda and peroxide to clean your cookie sheets.  I tried that one too but I didn’t follow the directions exactly.  It worked okay, [...]

2. [...] Remove baked-on crud from pots and pans. Combine hydrogen peroxide with enough baking soda to make a paste, then rub onto the dirty pan and let it sit for a while. Come back later with a scrubby sponge and some warm water, and the baked-on stains will lift right off. [...]