New Life For Old Cookie Sheets . . . Again.

This post is brought to you by Amazon where you can get deals on household cleaners!

cooking-sheetYesterday we celebrated the hubster’s birthday! (Happy Birthday hun!) So it was a pretty low key day with regards to blogging and anything blogging related. Basically I didn’t do a whole lot. Instead we went out for breakfast and had decadent strawberry french toast…did a little shopping in the afternoon…and tonight went out for Mexican food and then home for German Chocolate cupcakes…the hubsters’s fav.)

Even though “blogging” was the furthest thing from my mind…while I was washing up some dishes in the morning, I came across one of my “much loved” cookie sheets that I hadn’t attempted any “miracle cleaning” on …..yet.

For some reason I was in the mood to experiment….so I did. I decided to pull out my trusty duo of Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide and let it works its’ magic….again. But…this time I took a little different approach than in times past.

In the past I would make a paste of the two and start scrubbing. Today I decided to add an ingredient. Time. I didn’t feel like actually DOING much scrubbing, etc….but I had TIME to see what the “Miracle Cleaner” could accomplish if left to its own devices for awhile…without any interference from me.

I am here to report: “miracle cleaner” + TIME = RESULTS!

I started out with a medium-sized circle on the badly stained backside of this jelly roll pan that I have had for a million years.  I wanted to try a “test patch” if you will just to see if it was worth trying out on the whole pan. You better believe it was!

After sprinkling the spot with baking soda, then hydrogen peroxide, then another layer of baking soda… I left it sitting there like that while we went to breakfast. When we got home I rubbed a little of the cleaner off and was actually quite astonished to see MOST of the gunk came right off! Minimal rubbing with my fingers (you could use a scrubbie too) was required.

This, of course, meant I HAD to try it on the rest of the pan. But hey….if all it involved was sprinkling on some baking soda…sprinkling on some hydrogen peroxide and then sprinkling on a little MORE baking soda….and waiting….I could do that.

Looks like SNOW in May!

Besides….we were still going out to dinner AND had the American Idols Finale to watch! It would have plenty of time to “work”.

And WORK…it did!  Just about 2 hours later I checked on the experiment…(I couldn’t wait any longer! I was too curious!) I wiped/rubbed away one corner of the cleaning concoction…and felt almost giddy with excitement! There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with me! :-)

I then proceeded to wipe/rub off the rest and well….the pictures, as usual, speak for themselves.

Not perfect…yet…but a VAST improvement!

Remember folks….this was accomplished with literally NO SCRUBBING involved! The dynamic duo did all the “work”….while all *I* had to do was TRY to be patient! A fairly daunting task for YOURS TRULY.

But when faced with a choice between BEING PATIENT and SCRUBBING….I’ll take the former. :-)

Can’t wait to get to work on the OTHER side and the edges. I’m thinking a good, long shopping trip to the “big city” should suffice in keeping me away from it while it does its work!  Hey….a girl does what a girl’s gotta do! :-)

This post is brought to you by Amazon:

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter59Pin on Pinterest124,753Google+15

Comments

1. Andrea says

I love this blog! Little tips like this give me a reason to go buy stuff like Peroxide. Sure, I should already have some in my house for my first aid kit, but then it never gets used and I end up throwing away full bottles that have been expired for 4 years… Now I have a use for it other than expiring in my first aid kit.

• Nurse Lynn says

Using hydrogen peroxide to clean out wounds, scrapes and cuts kills the good cells as well as the bad cells in your body. Just use some simple soap and water. Your cut will heal faster and with less scaring.

• lukebandit says

You can use Hydrogen Peroxide to clean wounds and infected areas but after the HP needs to be rinsed, use sterile water. it will stop the process of the HP killing the good stuff.

• L.Dean says

Don’t get too excited ladies and gents! This does not work.It didn’t work for me and check out many many other posts it didn’t work for.

• miranda black says

Your exactly right got so excited to try it went out and bought the stuff for it put it on waited over 2hrs then took it off and it looked exactly how it first started out nothing happened not something I would try again

2. lemniskate says

I think I’m going to try this on the underside of my pots and pans, too. They’re just as good with the gunk on them but I want them shiny and pretty again!

My stepdad manages rental property and so he does a lot of cleaning of really terrible things. He says that the mistake most people make is assuming that they have to do the work. You should find a good cleaner for the job you need to do and then get it on there and go away. Let it do it’s work. Sometimes, you’ll still have a little scrubbing to do, but nothing like if you just started scrubbing right away.

Which is one of the reasons why he’s so interested in my new homemade cleaners, because with the storebought stuff, you’re walking a thin line between giving it the time it needs and letting the harsh chemicals eat away at the surface.

4. Katie says

You must have been reading my mind. I have the brown build up around the edges and on the backs of my pans too, and I was just wondering yesterday what would take that off without a ton of scrubbing. I love all of your tips and tricks and read your blog daily and I “pin” most of your posts. Keep them coming!

• Colleen says

That is genius. I think it doesn’t work for some people because the covering of peroxide isn’t distributed evenly enough.

• Summer says

I bought a generic shaker at local food supply store. You can get them for like 50 cents or a $1 sometimes. Amazon has a set for just about $5. I do a lot of cleaning with baking soda, so it is SO worth it for me. I bought on that has a lid on it so not to let moisture into the shaker holes.

Also, I use baking soda sprinkled in my stainless steel sink, around my faucet, etc and spray with vinegar. It does all the cleaning work for me and I just rinse away with water or sometimes get a small toothbrush for the hidden areas. Wipe up any water on the counter with a towel and done.

• Annette says

I re-purposed a green plastic container from parmesan cheese. Works great – the lid has options for pouring or sprinkling and it snaps shut.

• Scott Miller says

You put your thumb over the opening of the bottle, turn the bottle upside down and shake the bottle gently. If that’s too difficult you can put peroxide in a small spray bottle. Empty and rinse the bottle when you finish or the peroxide will eat the rubber gasket in the spray bottle trigger.

• Mommajozy says

Peroxide now comes in a SPRAY BOTTLE !!!!!!!!!
      I get mine at Walmart, and get a bottle of peroxide to refill it with !!!

5. Amy says

again! Awesome tips! Cleaning my oven this weekend with you oven hints! Long weekend = clean oven! LOL!

1. [...] is another one making the rounds about using baking soda and peroxide to clean your cookie sheets.  I tried that one too but I didn’t follow the directions exactly.  It worked okay, [...]