Sunday, July 22, 2012

How To Clean Your Bathroom Like A Pro!

Earlier this week I talked about my efforts to throw in the {paper} towel” in 2012. It got a lot of people talking! I was surprised at how many people were already doing this…and had been for some time.

Denise from Ark was one of them and left some very interesting insights in the comments section. You should read them… after this of course. :-)

But the thing that made me sit up and take notice was her comment that she had cleaned houses for 20 years followed by her detailed “how-to” clean a bathroom quickly and efficiently, using only THREE paper towels! Sign me up!!

I was so impressed I asked her if she would mind if I shared her routine with all of you, and she was kind enough to agree. As I told her, I’ve never quite known how to go about EFFICIENTLY cleaning the whole bathroom at one time. I usually end up deep cleaning one area at a time because I don’t REGULARLY clean the whole thing.

I won’t even try to improve on what she wrote (not that it’s even possible…AMATEUR cleaner that I am)….except I am going to put it into list form for easy reference later. :-)

“How To Clean A Bathroom Like A Pro” by Denise in Ark….who, before beginning a well-deserved retirement, cleaned 15 to 20 bathrooms a week for 20 years!

Step 1. Swish the toilet with the toilet scrub brush, then prop the brush under the seat to drain. (Brilliant!)

how to clean your bathroom

Step 2. Spray the toilet (and brush) top to bottom with disinfectant. Let sit. (She doesn’t mention what kind of disinfectant…I personally use 1/2 water; 1/2 vinegar in a spray bottle. Vinegar is a great natural AND CHEAP disinfectant and deodorizer.)

how to clean your bathroom

Step 3. Using the same disinfectant, spray the sinks, faucets and counters.

Step 4: Spray the mirror and use a wet (but not drippy!) microfiber cloth and wash the mirror well. Leave it wet while wiping and rinsing the sinks and counters. (This is like the 3rd time this week someone has told me about cleaning with microfiber cloths! Must look into this further.)

how to clean your bathroom

Step 5: Wring the rag out really well and wipe up the excess water. First from the mirror, then from the sink. At this point everything should be dry enough that a wad of about 3 of the cheapest possible paper towels will buff a shine on everything (starting with the mirror and working down.)
Step 6: Go back to the toilet. Use some toilet paper to wipe anything crusty, nasty or hairy (her words! not mine!) and drop it back in the bowl. Then use the same now-damp paper towels to wipe the toilet, starting at the tank lid and moving down from “cleanest” to dirtiest. Flush. Drop the towels in the trash can and set the toilet brush down on top of them to let it drain some more.

how to clean your bathroom

Step 7: By the time you finish washing the shower (repeat steps 4 and 5), the brush will be dry enough that it won’t leave disgusting drippy water in the brush holder. (According to Denise, she has YET to clean even the *cleanest* house and not find a disgusting toilet brush holder. GUILTY!)

And there you have it…how to clean a bathroom like a pro!

I don’t know why…but for me it’s so helpful for someone to spell it out step-by-step like that. According to Denise, this technique goes so quickly that it’s what she does as regular daily housecleaning, which means that the bathroom doesn’t get counted on “housecleaning day” because it’s always in good shape.

how to clean your bathroom

One final tip from Denise: She keeps an old towel hanging in the bathroom to be used solely for wiping down the shower. When she gets out of the shower, she uses this towel to soak up most of the water and then grabs a hand towel to finish drying the walls. It takes about 30 seconds; dirt, minerals, and soap scum that might otherwise build up never get the chance, and the shower is never *not* clean. The towel then gets hung back up and used again until it’s time to wash a load of towels.

I’m tellin ya…this lady has got this whole thing dialed in! Thank you Denise! My family and bathroom thank you as well. :-)

ONE MORE….ONE GOOD THING…….

how to clean your bathroom

This was probably the tenth time I’d heard someone mention microfiber cloths for cleaning. Wait a minute….aren’t microfiber cloths for washing and drying your car?? Or wiping off your computer screen?

Not anymore!

I did a little research tonight…and you lucky readers are about the find out what all the hype is about!

Fabrics made with microfibers are exceptionally soft and hold their shape well. They clean and dust like magic. The miracle fibers pick up everything leaving your glass, mirrors, counter tops, furniture, etc., instantly clean and shiny! Microfiber towels can hold up to eight times their weight in water plus have an exceptional ability to absorb oils.(No wonder they are so popular for car maintenance!)
In many household cleaning applications (washing floors, furniture, etc.) microfiber cleaning fabrics can be used without detergents or cleaning solutions!

I know what’s on my shopping list today!

Now let’s go clean those bathrooms like PROS!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

204 thoughts on “How To Clean Your Bathroom Like A Pro!

1. Kenyagirl

Wash microfiber towels with detergent and DO NOT use fabric softener. Also, I use a daily shower spray in my shower which really helps to keep water spots and soap scum at bay.

1. Jo Good

VERY good point!!
      I’ve also heard that if you accidently get softener on them, you can soak them in vinegar or vinegar/water for an hour or two to get the “gummies” out of them.

1. Amy

I stopped using fabric softener in my washer and dryer sheets in the dryer when I found out I was alleergic to them. A friend told me she only uses white vinegar in her washer for softening puposes. It works and also reduces the soap scum that may be left behind. I started using a sheet of foil in the dryer during the winter months to reduce static cling. If you have a habit of setting your dryer on the hottest temperature you will have static much more frequently. Hot is good for cottons and towels, but not for every thing! Reduce the heat and use the foil to achieve best results. It may take a little longer to dry, but will be worth it in the long run. Fabrics that are prone to static should be still a little damp and then huung up to finish drying. I had problems with my wash cloths, towels, and kitchen towels smelling after they got damp with use. My solution is this: make sure you have your water heater set just above normal. This will reduce the threat of algae building up in the water heater. Also, clean your washing machine by adding two cups white vinegar, 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 cup baking soda and set your machine for the hottest water and the largest, longest wash (mine will go nearly 2 hours). This combination will remove any soap scum and will eliminate the smells that can build up in your washer. I do this at least once a month with my washer and it eliminated the smell every time. By the way I have a front loader, but it will work with a top loader too. Just clean all of the top edges of the tub where water typically doesn’t get before using the method I mentioned. The more you keep your washer clean, the less likely you will encounter this problem. NOTE: I leave my washer door and detergent drawer open for at least 24 hours aafter I finish washing for the day to allow drying of the inside.

1. Jennifer

Just a quick comment about the smelling of the washer. I had that horrible smell in my front loader for the longest time. I found some sites off of Pinterest that gave good advise about how to clean them, etc. So I did that and it still left a horrible, nasty smell. Then I even went as far as attempting to make my own laundry soap b/c I had read that it works better and doesn’t leave a residue in the washer (needless to say I didn’t get that far….read on…). Well, then one day my husband got the Tide Pods b/c it’s easier for my children to do laundry (not having to measure, etc.). Ever since then I haven’t had a SINGLE nasty smell in my washer! They clean well, smell nice and no more stinky smell in my washer. (side note: I, too, leave my washer propped open as well as the detergent drawer {that I don’t use anymore}. You may want to try those sometime. And as far as the foil in the dryer, I had never heard of such a thing. I will have to pass that on to my sister who lives in MT and their climate is very very dry, especially in the winter months. Good tip!! Thanks!

1. Sherry

We use wool dryer balls in our dryer instead of softener sheets. They reduce static, cut down drying time and soften things so they are light and fluffy. Vinegar in the wash is fantastic and removes smells from clothing.

Microfiber clothes sound like a great idea, generally I make rags from my husbands old t-shirts that are too stained to wear anymore, but I will have to give the microfiber a try.

Thanks for all the fantastic ideas. Now off to the bathroom to clean…I may even time myself to see how fast I can get it done this way ;)

2. Home Sweet Home(school)

I don't know if you can get a better price elsewhere (I have had a supply of microfiber cloths for awhile now and don't remember what I paid), but I saw a 10-pack at Walgreens for $5 last week.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Jean

1. Carol

I went to Staples yesterday (yes Staples) and found microfiber “mitts” for $2.00 each. My dusting was done in half the time and I attached one to a telescopic pole secured with a rubber band and “de-cobwebbed” and wiped ceiling vents with no problem it worked great!!

1. Laura

Sam’s Club has GREAT prices on Microfiber cloths! I think it was something like $15 for something like 40 larger cloths the last time I bought mine, and they had several colors to choose from. Another thing, they also have what is called “shop rags.” My husband put me on to them and wow! Mechanics use them to get grime off stuff that won’t budge with paper towels. They have a rough texture and are great for washing dishes and scrubbing off just about anything! Of course, my husband teases me endlessly when I won’t let him just throw one away (that’s what they do in the shop). They are so cheap that if you do have to do an absolutely disgusting job with one of them, then you don’t have to feel bad about throwing it out!

3. Denise from Ark

Couple of clarifications: I left out that I flush the toilet while brushing, prop the brush under the seat, and then when I'm spraying the disinfectant I spray the brush as well so it gets disinfected, and then it's basically dry by the time I put it back in the holder.

I spray all of the way down to the floor around the toilet because that's the dirtiest part of the floor. The entire floor may not need to be mopped daily but the toilet probably needs to be wiped around. (It didn't take long of having my nose down in people's toilets to become adamantly opposed to carpet around the toilet. Just sayin'.)

You absolutely can use no paper at all. However, I do prefer using some disposables for particularly germy cleanup. The only reason for using paper to polish the mirrors and chrome is that I'm going to be using them on the toilet anyway. If they're a little damp they polish the porcelain on the toilet instead of streaking on the places where the disinfectant has dried.

The kind of disinfectant would be whatever you want – I've used Scrubbing Bubbles forever but only because it's the best soap scum buster I've ever found, and using it on the toilet as well as the shower just makes sense. Since I keep my own shower wiped dry so it never needs scumbusting, the vinegar solution on the toilet is fine.

I love using microfiber for cleaning, but I still use a scumbusting cleaner with it for a very selfish reason: if a shower only gets cleaned every week or two, it takes WAY too much work to scrub that amount of scum off with just the microfiber cloth. After the SB has set on the walls for a few minutes, it dissolves right off just by rubbing the VERY WET microfiber cloth over it. Shower heads on a hose are godsends; after cleaning the scum, it's so easy to rinse soap pieces and hair to the floor and then scoop them up off of the drain with another little piece of toilet paper and flush them away.

Rather than hanging guest towels, I leave them stacked on the bed wrapped in a ribbon (just my little thing to do) and tell them what the other towel is for, so they won't use it. BONUS: a couple of times the guest has wiped their own shower dry!!!!

Does that all make more sense now?

1. Twila

I’ve been cleaning houses too, for about 9 years, and your system sounds great. I’m partial to Scrubbing Bubbles as well. One thing I usually do before I even start cleaning a bathroom is take the vacuum and sweep up all the hair, wherever they may be. (tub, sink, shower walls, clinging to the toilet etc.)I hate icky wet hair clinging to my rag!

2. Evelyn

I agree with all of your cleaning tips. Microfiber cloths are the BEST! I was a professional housekeeper for 13 years at a Best Western in the city I used to live in. We always used Microfiber cloths there. We used a vinegar and water mix on the mirrors and chrome, and an all purpose cleaner on the rest of the bathrooms. Once the entire bathroom was washed and dried, the entire bathroom floor was washed by hand with a terry cloth rag (old towel). Guests used to comment all the time about how fresh and clean their bathrooms were. Microfiber cloths are not only good for the bathroom, but for all areas of the house.

3. Chris

Question. Wouldn’t it be better to dispose of the hair into the trash instead of flushing? I try hard not to let any kind of hair go down the toilet so it won’t clog the septic system. Love this post and I love all the helpful hints and people sharing what products work for them. Thank you sooooo much!

4. iSavortheWeekend

As much as I love, love, love a clean house and especially the bathroom, I struggle in keeping it spotless. I'm a visual learner and never in my life have I been shown or taught nor read anywhere on how to clean a bathroom. I need to print your post out and hang it up on my refrigerator so that I can remember!! Thanks so much for posting :)

5. Toby and Abbie

Thank you so much for this post. Now all I need is to type it up and laminate it so I can have the list handy when my kids clean their bathroom. i love all your ideas. I get my microfiber cloths from dollar tree 2 for a dollar. I found you on pinterest :)

6. Anonymous

what do you use to spray on the mirror? just water and then wipe with the micro fiber? or did you mean that you sprayed disinfectant (scrubbing bubbles) on your mirror too?

7. Jill Nystul

Ahhh Denise….you have been a godsend to those of us who are a bit cleaning challenged! :-) Thank you so much for the tips and the clarifications.

iSavortheWeekend…I am with you! I'm a "step-by-step" kinda girl. :-)

Thank you everyone for all the great comments, ideas, questions, etc.! I love the synergy we create!

8. Anonymous

Thanks for the step by step… Makes it not so overwhelming :) a company called Norwex has great microfiber clothes. Read About their products at Norwex.org. I have not had to but any cleaning products for six years because of them! I do use vinegar and baking soda just like my grandma use to use for cleaning. Love that cleaning is going back to all natural products and getting rid of all of the toxic chemicals that most use to clean with. I have to admit, it was difficult getting use to cleaning without chemicals. It doesnt have that chemical, toxic smell afterwards to make you think everything is clean. Clean should not have to smell:) thanks for your wonderful blog… I always look forward to reading your posts!

1. Fran

One Of there microfiber cloths cost $15.00 no thanks that’s way too much and they are no different than the dollar store cloths. The dollar store has them for $1.00 a piece

1. Kathy H

Beg to differ, the Norwex microfiber are very different. Yes they are expensive, but I have the cheap ones & the Norwex ones, no contest. Using microfiber is the only way I clean windows & mirrors, water, no cleaner & they sparkle! Leaves no streaks. No I am not a Norwex dealer, just a big fan!

1. Twila

I just started using these and they are great and I think worth the price. I had regular microfiber before and like these much better. They also have a two year guarantee. The lady I clean for even bought a set for me to use at her house. Love ‘em!

1. SherryAnne

Yes, there the expensive microfiber cloths are worth it! I bought the shower one and wipe down the walls every day. The cloth one picks up most of the moisture and the glass one picks up the rest and shines the walls. I wash my windows with the glass one and it cleans better than anything I’ve ever used. I first wipe off the worst grime with vinegar and a paper towel (outside of windows – super dirty after several months) then spritz on water and wipe with the e-cloth. The great thing about good microfiber cloths is that you clean with just water and the super tiny fibers pick up bacteria, etc.

1. Traci Morton

I love Norwex cloths! They are better than the cheap ones, because of the way the fibers are split. They are split way smaller than the other ones, which makes them clean wayyy better! The travel pack is great to use, just stick one in each bathroom and in the kitchen.

1. Evelyn

I also heard somewhere along my travels that Norwex cloths have silver in them too.
                I just did a search before posting this comment and here is what it says on the Norwex.ca website: Norwex Microfiber Cleaning Products
                Our line of cleaning products will save you time & money, improve health, and move towards creating a better environment. Norwex microfiber goes beyond “surface clean” with the innovative use of silver particles integrated into synthetic microfiber cloth.

Cleaning with water only produces a healthy outcome for us and the environment.

They may be more expensive, but I agree with those who say they are well worth the expense!

9. Anonymous

Found your blog on Pinterest and I love it. I, too, had difficulty with the site. I went to http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com and the first page was blank. I tried three or four times before I finally got into the site. Then when I clicked on a link, the only thing that came up on the page were reader comments. There's truly a problem at your site. Maybe too many visitors at one time? It's clear you're a popular blog!

~Julia

10. Jill Nystul

Thanks for the feedback about the site acting wonky! I am DEFINITELY looking into it! It COULD be a traffic thing…Lord knows it's been uber busy the last week. ;-) Which is a GOOD "problem" to have!! Thanks again!!!

11. Anonymous

I too have cleaned for a living, going on 10 years now..I also find scrubbing bubbles to be the best for entire bath room..however I used paper towels to wipe it all down, gets expensive so I am anxious to save money and try using MF cloths…thanks

12. Christine Clament

I had just finished cleaning my bathrooms when I came across this post. I'm definately going to do it this way next time… I had to giggle about the toilet brush holder because last week I wiped the grungy dusty grime off of the outside of mine, and when I went to do so tonight, I happened to get a peek inside so I scrubbed the inside clean… Now with Denise's tip I can keep it clean!

13. Anonymous

Any tips for cleaning a 50yr old green tub? It's SO old, it's back in style!! It's in good shape, but no matter how much I scrub it, it still looks dirty.
    I love the way the microfiber cloths work, but I HATE the way they "stick" to my poor dry hands!!

1. Linda G.

My kitchen sink has the same problem of looking dirty although I cleaned it and in order to get it pretty again I use BarKeeper’s Friend, a little liquid dish soap and a wet sponge and walla.. it is clean and pretty looking again! BarKeeper’s Friend comes in both a powder and liquid and can be found at your local Walmart or grocery store in the cleaning aisle.

14. KarenKT

I've been using microfiber cloths for a few years now and I've never seen such clean!!
    BUT, my advise is DON'T get the cheap ones that don't look and feel the same on both sides. They just don't wipe as well on that flatter, back side. If you're going to use them to save money for evermore, then get the good ones.

15. Anonymous

I love this article! Bathrooms are my favorite rooms to clean- instant gratification! With a bad back, I found that it's much easier for me to clean the shower/tub while I'm in it-as I take my shower. I keep an exfoliating sponge(left over Christmas gift) in the shower, with a cheap bottle of shampoo (smells good) that I use daily to wipe down the walls/base- my shower dries spot free all the time! And the warm shower helps to keep my back from hurting while I'm bending/scrubbing- bonus! Beth Wood, South Bend, Ind

16. Anonymous

I use used newspaper to wipe clean the mirrors! Just spray them with glass cleaner or even only water and wipe clean with newspaper, it works wonders and it's cheaper than paper towels.
    I also use newspaper to wipe the windows :)

17. Denise from Ark

Anonymous: If there's nothing greasy on the mirror, just the wet towel is enough to get the toothpaste splatters, etc., off and then when you buff it dry, it's fine. One thing about Windex – if you ever have a glass that seems like the streaks never come off – it seems like Windex builds up. My go to glass cleaner – you guys are NOT going to believe this, but plain old dish soap. VERY diluted. You actually never even need to buy or even make windex. Cleaning windows/glass is a whole 'nother thing LOL.

18. Onlysoni in NV

This is so easy that I have taught my kids to do it as part of their daily cleaning routine. Talk about shiny sinks you fly babies! There is nothing like not having to worry about going to see what the bathroom looks like before a random stranger asks to go to the restroom.

Here are a couple of variations that I use. We have extreamly hard water and using this routine, I have NO waterspots in either of my bathrooms.

1. Toilet bowl cleaner (have to use it or I get hard water rings) close lid

2. Starting at the mirror spray everything with window cleaner (I also use a water/dishsoap mix). Spray mirror, sink, counter top (flybabies: there shouldn't be anything on your countertop that isn't decorative… hint figure out a different way to store your toothbrushes), toilet top to bottom, tank, between lid, ring, and base (don't forget those bottom bolt thingies), then the floor all of the way around the toilet.

3. Start wiping down in this order.
    a. mirror
    b. faucet
    c. counter top
    d. sink
    e. toilet paper holder
    f. toilet top to bottom
    g. Your papertowels (I use four) should be pretty clean up to this point so clean under the the seat, under the ring, don't forget the hinges.
    h. Fold your papertowel so you have a clean surface! floor all of the way around the toilet. Don't forget the back.
    g. Clean the toilet bowl with the brush, flush, leave the brush hanging in the toilet to dry. (close lid on handle)

19. onlysoni in nv

part 2

My shower is also cleaned every couple of weeks as everyone cleans the shower with the squeegy so it really doesn't get that dirty.

To clean the shower: on Saturday mornings I spray the showers down with scrubbing bubbles (smells bad, works great) early in the morning. Each one of the showers has a no scratch scrubby in it (blue kind, has to be somewhere where it will not get wet or yucky stuff will grow in it). The first person to take a shower gets the job of scrubbing it!!! It is kinda funny, because even guests have ended up getting this job, they want to use the shower, I'm not gonna scrub it! but it never gets dirty so it is not a labor intensive job. hahaha. Amazingly clean shower at all times!!!!

Couple of tips:
    -after you are done wiping down the floor drop the paper towel in the waste basket, take the bag out, tie it, throw it out the door, and put a new bag in.

-keep your soap on the oposite end of the shower head so that as little water as possible hits it. Water +soap = soapscum. I have a suction cup soap holder high on the opposite wall of the shower head so that very little water hits it. It is acrylic and can be thrown in the dishwasher every once in a while to clean.

- How to get a neglected shower clean without a marathon cleaning. (the steps above work if you have an already clean bathroom). Use the arm and hammer daily shower stuff every day for two to three weeks, (you have to be diligent about using it everyday) then do the scrubbing bubbles step. It may take a second round if you have a really dirty shower, but once your shower is clean, you won't have to use the daily shower again.

- To marathon clean your shower… Gas mask and rubber gloves! Oven Cleaner! Cuts soap scum amazing! Use caution!

-stuborn toilet ring… spray on CLR (target, yellow spray bottle), let sit over night. Scrub with screen sand paper. (Way better than pumice stone!) Buy at home impovement store, cut in squares about 4×5" ask the guy he can help you. Also known as drywall sandpaper, or restaurant grill cleaning screens are the same thing.

-After you get your old green bathtub spotless wax it! Use good old fashioned (high quality) car wax, it will restore the surface. You will have to do this every couple of months.

-To clean your shower head fill a ziplock baggy with liquid CLR and rubberband over the shower head so that the showerhead is in the liquid. Let sit for several hours.

There are only two places in the house that I use paper towels. Kitchen and Bathroom. It is the best way to shine the sink!

1. Chels

Thanks so much for these tips! I wrote down everything! Very unique techniques! I love the ziplock baggy for the showerhead idea. My boyfriend is a clean freak and you are saving me!

20. Anonymous

I bought a fat stack of microfiber cloths at Sam's Club in the tools/automotive section for about $10 and I've used them for years. They are perfect!!

21. Almut

Another FlyBaby routine:
    Instead of using those large bath sheets, I just use a hand towel to dry off. I get a fresh one each day and after showering and drying off I use it to
    1. wipe the mirror,
    2. faucet, sink top,
    3. squeegy the shower, dry with same towel,
    4. dust top of toilet water tank, seat, under the seat and
    5. a quick swish and swipe across the floor.
    6. Towel goes in the laundry and a new one is laid out.

The bathroom is always clean and doing this routine every day even leaves the towel clean after the swish and swipe routine. And no cleaning products are used. Once a month the bathroom is cleaned with a tiny bit of Comet on a sponge. That's it.

22. Tracychef

Loved this post and all the comments – finally, strategy for cleaning the bathroom! Re the swiffer and microfiber cloths…I keep one near the dogs' water bowl, and use it to quickly swipe up the drool! Change it every other day or so, and the floor's not yucky and the socks stay dry!

23. Kristy G

And for a squeaky, non-streaky clean mirror, use your favorite cleaner and spray. Use your leftover newspapers from your coupons and bunch up one sheet and make into a rag size. Wipe down your mirror in any direction, whether up and down or circular and the mirror will be streak-free and perfect! Enjoy!

24. Stephanie

Kumbaya!!!! I have a guest coming over tomorrow and have been dreading cleaning my bathroom, but now, Here I Go! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for the wonderful tips and how-tos! This site is awesome!

25. Anonymous

Hmmmm, good advice indeed! I use ammonia/water solution in an old square plastic pan (from a previous hospital stay) that I set in my sink while I use it to clean the mirror, countertop and sink (nothing better to remove toothpast splatter). I then use the same water to clean the toilet from top to bottom, cleanest parts to dirtiest parts, then I move the pan to the floor and clean the floor from one end to the other, working my way out of the bathroom. If you have dust or hair problems on your bathroom floor just use a swiffer cloth previous to washing. (maybe try the microfiber cloths mentioned here) The ammonia solution also dissolves any oversprayed hairspray that is on the floor. For the tub/shower ~ I just started using the Tub/Shower Magic that I found on Pinterest, also found here http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275. It is wonderful! I spray it on, leave it (even overnight) and then just a light scrubbing and rinse! Looks like new! As for the toilet bowl, I use The Works TB cleaner, but I may try using my used up Ammonia/Water solution instead. I love Ammonia ~ no wonder our mothers and grandmothers loved it too! Happy cleaning everyone!

26. Rumor

A simple way and cheaper way to keep mirrors sparkling is to use a squeegee. You can find professional ones at Lowes. They also have one that goes with it with a pad that you get wet and add a little tiny bit of soap on it like Dawn. Use this to clean mirrors. And use the squeegee to remove the water off the mirror. Instead of always using the micro towels I use the stiff white ones to dry everything including the mirrors the counters and everything. Then I go back over the mirrors and faucets anything shiny with the micro fiber cloth. This shines it. I also spray down the toilet and floor around the toilet and whip it down. I vacuum the floor mop then I dry it. This way I get absolute everything off the floor. Yes it takes longer but I know it's clean. I love the tip about the toilet brush and will use it. Even through I wash all my rags including the mic fiber towels together I always dry the towels separately keeps lint off of it. More great hints for me to use. Thanks again

27. Anonymous

I enjoyed the article, but as a professional cleaner myself, I feel the clean as described in the article wasn't to the standards I would clean a bathroom in my business. There are some very important details missed as far as getting the toilet properly cleaned and disinfected.

28. Anonymous

Yes there are a lot of details missing… Like cleaning the floor, wiping down cabinets… new homes, like mine, have extremely large bathrooms… It would take a lot more paper towel to clean my 10ft mirror or 10ft of glass in my shower.. I do use the microfiber cloths and even bought a microfiber mop from QVC yrs ago… still using the same cloths (washable).

29. Denise DeVault

Awesome blog…addicted to Pintrest. ;-)
    I like the idea of cleaning "green" but the germs and viruses have not allowed me to get rid of my bleach and Lysol (gasp!).

onein36million said… "But in a bathroom you're also concerned about E.coli and Noroviruses … which laugh in the face of vinegar."

So, what is a greener solution to bleach or Lysol that kills as many germs and viruses as them??

1. Shelli

Actually plain white vinegar is effective against 99.9% of bacteria including Pseudemonas which lurks in damp places behind sinks especially and is notoriously hard to kill. It’s been found in Hospital disinfectant solutions, but not vinegar Ecoli is everywhere it doesn’t have a special hiding place in the bathroom. It can be brought in on produce, shoes, sitting on a movie theatre seat, It’s more likely to be found on your dining room table than your toilet It’s everywhere, get used to it. Being paranoid about cleaning the bathroom might make you feel better, but unless you want to live under a U.V light you’re going to come into contact with germs, keep your immune system healthy and if you are really worried use hydrogen peroxide after the vinegar use a mixture of thyme/eucayptus and lavendar essentail oil – or genuine cinnamon or clove oil which also discourages most pests- careful with it, straight it can burn your skin.
      Old fashioned listerine mouthwash, it’s a great antimicrobial it contains a thyme derivitive thymol. The main ingredient in lysol used to be pine oil, and it worked. Cleaners soaps and wipes with triclosan form Chloroform gas when mixed with chlorinated /fluoridated water. A cleaner will say don’t inhale in case of causing injury or death, and you’re worried about bacteria??? I’m not an extremist I use bleach once in a while, but using a cleaner that’s toxic to kill bacteria that probably won’t hurt you and you’ll come in contact with as soon as you move, just doesn’t make sense unless you’ve a weakened immune system Don’t fall for the marketing ploy it’s making people sick while making companies money. Plants develop stronger defenses to cope with stronger germs and fungi, so using essential oils (not stinky fragrance oil) properly is not just about making things smell pretty, it’s safe, healthy and very effective. Lemon essential oil killed 99% of bacteria in vitro but alas is not effective agains Pseudomonas

30. Anonymous

The cleaning part is easy, its getting motivated to put all my junk away on the counter and ALL THE HAIR. I had a baby a few months ago and apparently you lose a lot of hair at this point. I get so frustrated with it I don't even want to clean my bathroom :(

1. Lulu

cordless vacuum! its the only way i survived with a newborn especially with all the hair and 4 cats. I also hacked a swiffer wet jet to use my own cleanser and a washable cloth. this is the vacuum i got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LBHGJC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01
      together the floors are done in 15-20 minutes which is a miracle for me.

I hope you have an easier time of it, and remember, your baby is still young, the house does not need to be spotless. im serious, go nap hun.

1. Shelli

How did you “hack” your wet jet. I have to admit I loved the convenience of the wet jet, but nevermind toxic concerns, the smell of that cleaner turned me into Linda Blair as in “The exorcist” It wasn’t just the smell, but a whole psyche reaction I swear I was like “GET THAT OUT OF MY HOUSE” I tried to rig it so I could use my own cleaner, but no luck. For anyone who doesn’t have a washer, or who has lots of dust or hair problems that just turns into muck because the kitchen or bathroom is steamy, I found “Mabu” bamboo cleaning cloths and mits better than microfibre, they clean as well as any microfibre I’ve used, but you can rinse them out easily under the tap and they actually come out clean, even the dust.
        I like microfibre for some things, but if an area is moist and dusty-or hairy, I can only use it once on a fairly small area (and don’t rub it the wrong way..; ) before I have to throw it in the wash. And I think one of the most pleasent things about the Mabu cloths is that if you accidentally leave one wet somewhere, or throw it into the laundry bag damp, they don’t smell-ever- its the bamboo I think, because they aren’t treated with anything.

31. Anonymous

As a couple others have mentioned NORWEX MICROFIBER CLOTHS are the best!!! They are AMAZING on windows and mirrors–and you only use water!!! I also use them dry for dusting and so much more. They shine up almost anything–and you don't use any cleaners. They aren't cheap (about $30 for the antibac enviro cloth and the window cloth set) but they're totally worth it! I couldn't live without them, they almost make cleaning fun! (By the way, I DON'T work for Norwex!)

32. Gail

Great post. I love micro fiber cloths and my favorite use is as dish cloths, since I don't have a dish washer (oh wait that would be me), I really enjoy them and I just get mine at Harbor Freight. LOL.

1. Carol

Love that store they have all kinds of cool things! I found micro fiber mitts at Staples! And only $2.00. I never though of using them on mirror or glass but that will be my next adventure!! My house is dusty (I dust 3 times a week, that”s Arizona for you!!) And since using the microfiber to dust it seems to statying clean maybe an extra day or so, must be picking up more dust that kicking back into the air with regular spray and a cloth! Thanks for the tip!

1. Brenda

Carol, I live in Arizona too, and am really glad to read your dusting experience. I’ve long felt that all I was doing when I dusted was moving it around, rather than getting rid of it. Thanks!

33. Donna Blassingham

I have read every comment listed here so far…..I know and shop all of the sources mentioned, except Norwex, and I have found the BEST microfiber towels at Home Depot. I get a pack of 24 14X14 light blue OUICKIE brand clothes for just under $10.00. I found them in the janitorial department. Of ALL the different cloths I have used these are THE best! I have black dinnerware and nothing drys them better and streak-free faster than these clothes. I have 2 sets of the cloths. One for the kitchen and one set for cleaning, and I wash them accordingly so I don't cross contaminate. To keep them seperate, I ran a single line of sewing along one edge of one set of the clothes.
    As a foot note….I used to make laundry detergent using grated bars of Fels-Naptha. After a couple months I started noticing a film building up on my washer and my towels felt 'waxie' so I quit using the homemade detergent. I rinse with vinegar to make sure all the detergent is rinsed out and never use fabric softener on the clothes and I hang to dry.
    Thanks for all the great tips here, I will return to read more.

34. Anonymous

There are a few comments on here regarding NORWEX Antibacterial cloths….YES YES and YES…they are awesome and no need for any more paper towels etc….check it out!!! They are a bit spendy…but now that I no longer buy cleaning supplies…it's about a wash….or a money saver actually!!! GREAT product….Norwex.com check it out!

35. SLUELESS

One more great tip, is to spray a little WD40 on your cloth and wipe down the sink and fixtures, they shine like a new penny and keep dirt from sticking in future.

1. Carol

Baby oil works too a very small squirt goes a very long way. I put it on a clean cloth or my last paper towel still clean and relatively dry. I am a NO streak freak!!

36. Lauren

I started cleaning my bathrooms this way and it saves me so much time! I have been using a microfiber cloth and your water/vinegar disinfectant. My 9 year old wondered about the smell (drama queen) and I told him it was non-toxic, people eat vinegar, and cheaper!! I didn't think he was paying attention but he was. A few weeks later he had to come up with a research project idea for school and chose green cleaning as his topic. I am curious to see what he learns. Thanks for all your tips, I love them!! My 6 year old loves the new foaming soap dispensers in our bathrooms and I don't freak when he uses 3 pumps….;)

37. Catherine

I'm a teacher, and the best use I've found for microfiber cloths is to erase a blackboard! They work MUCH better than those felt and wood erasers, and at the end of the week I use them wet to wipe the thing down. By Monday they're dry again, much less dusty, and ready to go again.

38. Anonymous

For years I have used a squeegee on my shower glass after each use. It only takes a few seconds and my shower glass never has water spots and is so much easier to keep clean.

39. Pacilla

I too prop the toilet brush on the rim of the bowl to drip. The holder I have is open on one side. I buy coffee filters by the 100s and use one of them in the bottom of the holder to catch the extra drip. Just trim the filter to fit, when it's dirty, toss.

1. Diane

Thanks for the coffee filter idea. I also use them for many things but had not thought of this one. Thanks for this step by step cleaning routine. It is easier and faster than my haphazard approach.