Foolproof Crockpot Greek Yogurt {And I Mean FOOLPROOF!}

homemade greek yogurt This isn’t my first time making Crockpot Greek Yogurt. I posted about it back in April.

I loved it then, and I love it now. BUT….when I read this MUCH EASIER version from reader Susie E., I HAD to try it.

Not only did it turn out to be EASY and DELICIOUS…but believe me when I say it’s also FOOLPROOF!  You can’t believe how badly I executed this “recipe” and it STILL turned out! :-)

Crockpot Yogurt

Here is Susie E’s. recipe:

1. Pour 1 gallon of whole milk into your crockpot.

2. Fortify with 2-3 cups powdered milk to increase the proteins. (I used 3 cups.)

3. Heat the milk in the crockpot on low until it reaches 180 degrees

4. Once the milk has cooled to the 95 to 115 degree range, stir in a half cup of live culture yogurt in a small amount of the warm milk until completely blended, then add back to the rest of the warm milk.

5. Put the milk mixture into whatever size storage containers you prefer and place in an oven with the light on for 8 to 12 hours to complete the culturing process. (I used a variety of different sized mason jars.)

6. At the end of your culturing time, move containers to the fridge and chill before using.

You can drain the yogurt with cheesecloth or coffee filters if you like, but I’ve found that using 2-3 cups of powdered milk per gallon of whole milk makes it thick enough so draining isn’t necessary. I use this for sour cream as well. It is supposed to last 10 days, but we always use it up before then!

homemade greek yogurt

Sounds easy enough….right?  Right!  UNLESS you suffer from terminal FORGETFULNESS like I do!

I was doing GREAT until I got the Step #2.  lol.  I had the milk and powdered milk warming nicely in the crockpot and went to do some work in the other room.

A good while later (I have no idea how long it had been!) I hear the hubster say from the kitchen…“this MILK in the crockpot is bubbling nicely!”  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!  I’d completely forgotten about it!

I sprinted to the kitchen and stood there staring at the pot. I didn’t even want to KNOW how hot it was! What the heck do I do NOW?  Well, I figured trying to salvage it was at least worth a SHOT!  I grabbed some ice from the freezer and dumped it in the milk. I kept dumping ice and stirring it in until the temperature came down to 115ish, then I followed the rest of the directions religiously. :-)

homemade greek yogurt

Well, despite my best efforts to RUIN IT, it turned out PERFECT!  After approximately 10 hours in the oven (I did it overnight) and then in the refrigerator for another couple of hours….it was the PERFECT consistency and the PERFECT flavor and NO STRAINING REQUIRED.

homemade greek yogurt

I immediately fixed myself a treat. Yogurt, a drizzle of honey and roasted almonds. Yummy!

homemade greek yogurt

Susie E….thank you for sharing this super simple method for making one of my favorite things! This is definitely how I will be making it from now on (with the added benefit of a TIMER!)   :-)

Share on Facebook2,984Tweet about this on Twitter30Pin on Pinterest46,209Google+9

Comments

1. TerriM says

I tried making greek yogurt in the crockpot and it took forever. Probably something wrong with my crock. The only thing I do different is using the stovetop to heat the milk. I put the yummy yogurt on my taco salad instead of sour cream at it was delicious! I’m getting low and due to make some more. I’ll be using canning jars and the additional milk powder this time. What a great idea!

2. Laura says

This sounds a lot simpler than the methods which need to be drained. Thanks for the recipe. Have you ever tried making this in a half batch?

3. Laura says

Her picture shows the jars in the oven without lids. :) Probably better that way for expansion/contraction of product and container.

4. Deborah says

Sounds simply enough, but why make something that is so devoid of nutrition? Don’t want to be a party pooper, but just as a FYI ~ Powdered milk is the same thing as skim milk and has beens stripped of ALL of the enzymes and nutritional benenfits. Actually all pasturized milk is nothing more than colored water with artificial vitamins added back in. Something the USDA doesn’t want the buying public to know. Beneficial bacteria for your colon health can be obtained and will change your health in a big way. 90% of your immune system is found in your colon. It makes sense to feed it well so youcan have a strong immune system to fight germs, viruses, bacteria and absorb the nutrition the body needs. Sorry for sounding negative, it’s a great concept but be sure to use healthy ingredients ~ your body will thank you.

5. susan drew says

I just bought a yogurt maker. you just take 2 quarts of milk. Heat in the microwave for 17 minutes. Let set until room temp. Stir in the container of greek yogurt. Put about a cup of water in the warmer part of the maker. Then put the milk yogurt mixture into the warmer, cover with lid and plug in. Leave overnight. In the morning put in the fridge and by 6pm you have fresh yummy yogurt and no fear of a mistake.

6. Denikka Miller says

This is a great recipe. I make it weekly for my family. I haven’t used the powdered milk but I will try that today when I make the next batch. I add honey to our recipe so that it already has a little flavor to it as I have little ones that prefer a little sweetness. Thanks for sharing!

7. Erin says

How much does this make and how long will it keep? I’m the only Greek yogurt eater in my house. I don’t know if I could consume this much before it goes bad. Also could you add vanilla flavoring?

8. Amanda says

What would be better? What ingredients would be healthier? Raw milk isn’t an option for everyone. I do know some people who just take a pro/prebiotic capsule.

9. ronna says

forget the crockpot. I use 1 quart of milk in a pyrex measuring cup (has a handle) and zap in the microwave for 7 minutes. The microwave gently beeps when the 7 minutes is up. lol. No forgetting. And usually it’s reached 180+ degrees. You bring it to 180 degrees to kill any bad bacteria in the milk. So it can go higher without problem unless it boils over then you’ve got a mess. I cool it on the stove top until it reaches 115 degrees. At the same time, I use an incandescent bulb in a trouble lite (75 watt) in the oven to heat it. It maintains 115 degrees for me pretty consistently. When the milk is still above 115 degrees, I’ll mix in 1/2 cup of heavy cream. It helps cool it a little faster and will make my yogurt nice, thick and creamy without adding in powdered milk.
    I mix in 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt (Danon, Oikos, etc.) as you do, above, but then I pour the mixture into six 6-ounce yogurt cups that I’ve saved – the kinds with lids. The pyrex measuring cup has the spout for easy pouring! and easier to wash than a crock pot. Place the yogurt cups into a baking dish and set in the oven to culture 5-6 hours. I usually do this overnight. In the morning, I take them out of the oven, slap lids on them and put in the fridge. Because I add the heavy cream, my yogurt has a “skin” on top but that’s no big deal to me once I’ve mixed it up and added strawberries, or blueberries, or whatever I’m going to eat with my yogurt.

1. [...] and a midterm, I got my housewife on.  I cleaned the kitchen, baked raspberry crumble bars, made yogurt in the slow cooker, and most importantly, cleaned the bathroom.  Since starting this project a little over a month [...]