Thursday, November 1, 2012

25 Uses For Lemon Peels…Including Lemon Vinegar!

Whenever I walk into a grocery store produce section I have this uncontrollable urge to buy citrus! It seems I can’t leave the store without buying 4 or 5 lemons or limes. If you follow me on Pinterest you will see I have a bit of an obsession with lemons. My “Lemon Joy” board has over 340 pins!!

Can you blame me??? Lemons are amazing!  They truly are the “multi-purpose” fruit! They have so MANY purposes that I wasn’t even going to ATTEMPT to include them all in one post. So today we’re going to start with the lemon PEEL and work our way into the juice (in a future post.)

I got the idea for this post when I decided to try making my own Lemon Vinegar. I personally like vinegar just the way it is and the smell never has bothered me, but when I start using it at home the “boys” act like I’m spraying napalm around the house!  They are so dramatic! (I have no idea where they get THAT from!) I’d seen all kinds of pins on Pinterest about a cleaning solution made of ORANGE peels and vinegar, and decided to try it out with lemons instead. It was worth a try if it would reduce the whining around here. :-)

I didn’t have any lemon peels just laying around, but I had just purchased a bag of lemons (big surprise) so I decided to juice them and freeze the juice for later use, then I went ahead and sliced up the peels.

I had enough to fill two quart-sized mason jars, then I poured in vinegar until it reached just under the neck of the bottle. I put the lid on tightly and I waited. TWO WEEKS I waited! Which for me is like TWO YEARS! lol.  I am the most impatient person I have ever met, besides my Dad. :-)  I actually had to put the bottles away in a cupboard so I couldn’t see them and be tempted to use it prematurely.

But I am happy to report that it was worth the wait!  Not only did the vinegar now have a very nice lemony aroma (you still smell the vinegar, but not nearly as strongly as before) it cleaned stuff like crazy!

All-Purpose Lemon Vinegar Cleaner:

• Fill container of your choice with cut up lemon peels.
  • Add vinegar to cover the peels. Seal with tight-fitting lid.
  • Put it away and forget about it for two weeks.
  • After two weeks, strain the lemon peels from the vinegar then add water. I used on a 50/50 mix of water and lemon vinegar.

The first place I tried my new cleaning solution was the place in my kitchen that gets the greasiest and dirtiest…the stove. Specifically the stove hood! It’s kind of a litmus test for cleaners around here. If it can clean THERE, it can clean ANYWHERE!  And it cut through the grease and grime like it was nothing! I am really LOVING this stuff!

So what else can you do with Lemon Peels?

The list might surprise you!

Here are 25 MORE things to do with lemon peels:

Skin Lightener/Brightener
Lemon is a natural skin lightener because of the citric acid in them which is a bleaching agent. Apply leftover lemon peels to your hands, elbows and heels to refresh and lighten the skin and tighten pores.

Garbage Disposal Deodorizer
Lemon (or orange) peels tossed regularly into the garbage disposal will keep the garbage disposal smelling fresh.

Simmering Stove Top Scents
Add lemon rinds to simmering water along with cloves, cinnamon sticks, and orange peels to make a delightful aroma AND humidify the air.

Ant-Proof Your Kitchen
Scatter small slices of lemon peel along thresholds, windowsills, around door entrances, and near any cracks or holes where ants or pests may be entering. Ants do not like lemon and will not enter your home. Lemons are also effective against roaches and fleas.

Coffee Cup Stain Remover
Put a section of lemon peel into a stained coffee mug and add water. Let it sit for several hours, then wipe with a cloth. Stains should disappear.

Refrigerator Freshness
Cut lemon in half and let it absorb fridge smells.

Tea Kettle/Coffee Pot Cleaner
For mineral deposit build up in your tea kettle, fill the kettle with water, add a handful of thin slices of lemon peel and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let sit for an hour, drain, and rinse well. For coffee pots, add ice, salt and lemon rinds to the empty pot; swish and swirl for a minute or two, dump, and rinse.

Microwave Cleaner
Add lemon rinds to a microwave-safe bowl filled halfway with water. Cook on high for 5 minutes, allowing the water to boil and the steam to condense inside. Carefully remove the hot bowl and wipe away the mess with a damp towel.

Chrome Polish
Cut through mineral deposits on chrome faucets and other tarnished chrome by rubbing with a squeezed lemon half, rinsing, and lightly buffing with a soft cloth.

Copper, Brass, & Stainless Steel Polish
Brighten copper, brass, or stainless steel by dipping a juiced lemon half in salt (you also use baking soda or cream of tartar for the salt) and rubbing on the affected area. Leave on for 5 minutes. Then rinse in warm water and polish dry.

Stove Top Humidifier
If your home suffers from dry heat in the winter, put lemon peels in a pot of water and simmer on the lowest stove-top setting to humidify and scent the air.

Cutting Board Refesher
The antibacterial properties of lemons make them a good choice for refreshing cutting boards. After disinfecting give the surface a rub with a halved lemon, let sit for a few minutes, and rinse.

Brown Sugar Keeper
Add lemon peel (with pulp removed) to brown sugar to help keep it moist and easy to use.

Lemon Zest
Zest is simply grated peel, and it can be used fresh, dried, or frozen. If you don’t have a zester, use the smallest size of a box grater. To dry zest, spread it on a towel and leave out until dried, then store in a jar. To freeze, use a freezer-safe container. Use zest in salads, marinades, baked goods, grain dishes, etc.

Lemon Twists
Use a vegetable peeler or a knife to cut the peel into long strips, cutting away the white pith which is bitter. These can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container or bag. Great in cocktails, sparkling water, and tap water.

Lemon Extract Powder
Using the zest or twists from above, dry the strips skin-side down on a plate about 3 or 4 days. Put in a blender (or spice grinder) and pulverize into a powder. Use the powdered peel in place of extract or zest in recipes.

Lemon Sugar
Add lemon extract powder (see above) to sugar, or use fresh twists, put them in a jar with sugar and let them infuse the sugar.

Lemon Pepper
Mix lemon extract powder (see above) with freshly cracked pepper.

Candied lemon peel
Candied peels can be eaten plain, or dipped in melted chocolate, used in cake, cookie, candy, or bread recipes.

Lemon Sugar Scrub
Mix 1/2 cup sugar with finely chopped lemon peel and enough olive oil to make a paste. Wet your body in the shower, turn off the water and massage sugar mix all over your skin, rinse. Feel the softness!

Nail Whitener
Whiten fingernails by rubbing with a lemon wedge.

Travel Sickness Cure
Suck on a slice of lemon to help you stop feeling nauseous.

Grater Cleaner
Remove dried food from your grater by rubbing with the pulp side of a cut lemon.

Firelighters
Bake discarded orange or lemon peels until they darken. These create natural, fragrant firelighters.

Trash Can Deodorizer
Throw a few lemon peels in the bottom of the can from time to time to keep it smelling fresh.

Remember…..When Life Gives You Lemons…..Don’t Throw Away The Peels!

What do you use Lemon Peels for?

Be sure to check out the new One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!
Start a conversationmeet a new frienddiscuss an ideaor just hang out!
It’s THE place to be! See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

157 thoughts on “25 Uses For Lemon Peels…Including Lemon Vinegar!

1. Laura N.

First, Thank you for the work involved in this daily blog. Second, I have been making the lemon enzyme for months, and two weeks ago I pulled out my most recent batch and it had the mother of all ‘mother’s growing. It smells like vinegar and not at all like previous batches, My question…how is this different? I’m not talk’n techno stuff…I’m curious as to smell, color, clarity, general cleaning….
    Thanks again to you and your forum for us ‘not so hard core’ living frugal individuals.

1. Jillee Post author

Laura…I’m not quite sure but I would try giving it a good shake, strain it, dilute it and clean as usual. Shouldn’t hurt anything. If you find it’s not as effective as before you might want to start another batch. I’m going to look into this some more.

2. Nancy

I tear lemon peel into ½” pieces and sprinkle them outside in areas that I don’t want the neighborhood cats to, uh, use. They really do seem to hate the smell and avoid the area now!

1. Diane H.

Try sprinkling black pepper around your vegetables in your garden if the lemon doesn’t work. Black pepper kept the squirrels and rabbits out of our summer garden. I would imagine that it would work on mice.

3. Christina

I have one with lemon going right now. I can’t wait to use it – I opened it and it smells wonderful! I did one with orange peels the first time but the lemon one seems much stronger and very lemony. I love this stuff. Can you put the flesh in too or just the peel?

4. Beth Norred

I LOVE CITRUS ALSO.. so glad to see this post, as it reminds me to get some, and freeze it while its still fresh. i hate not having fresh citrus and Cilantro in the Winter months. My mouth waters at the thought of squeezing them.. lol LOVE your blog and so happy to get the daily post with all your hard work.. THANKS Jillee =)

5. Karen423

I clean my white sink with lemon and baking soda. I sprinkle baking soda in the sink and then scrub with non scratching sponge (I use the new one natural one that can go through the dishwasher to sanitize it). Then go through with a couple of lemon slices, the lemon juice reacts with the baking soda on tough spots. Scrub the sink with the lemon (mostly the pulp, but use the peel like a scrubber on dark marks from utensils), let dry then rinse away. Run left over lemon down the disposal.

6. kathy

i dry the lemon peels. when they are completely dried out i grind them down in a coffee bean grinder. i mix this in with my homemade dishwasher soap to use as the ctiric acid. has been working great and smells divine

7. Karen

I have a Meyer lemon tree and right now it has dozens of lemons in various stages of ripening. I just love it and give away lots. Thanks for all the tips! Last year I made Limoncello from lemon rinds using Giada’s recipe. Delicious!

1. Sue S.

I was going to recommend making Limoncello too! I have a Meyer Lemon tree (it’s a lemon crossed with a tangerine I think?) and my Limoncello turns out orange, but is super delicious! I buy French lemonade at World Market (with the wire swing tops) and after I drink the lemonade, I sterilize the bottles and use them for my homemade limoncello.

8. Casey

What about pouring some of the lemon/vinegar mixture in the rinse cycle when washing clothes? Will it still soften? and leave a lemony scent to the clother?

9. Char

Lemon is my absolute favorite scent and flavor! I use lemon weekly in my garbage disposal and on my cutting boards. I will definitely be giving the lemon vinegar a try! Did you know that lemon is also a natural detoxing agent for your liver? I drink lemon first thing in the morning (before my coffee) and throughout the day and before going to bed (about an hour before, if not I will not get any sleep). If you are trying to lose weight or decrease bloating, try lemon water. Be careful of the acidity with your teeth, I use about 1/2 a lemon daily. And it just tastes so good!

1. meenakshi

Lemon and some honey mixed in with slightly warm water. Drink first thing in morning for detoxification & weight loss. Honey & Warm water neutralize the acidity of lemon while keeping all the useful properties intact. This is an Ayurvedic ‘tonic’ too.

2. GrandmaPattyB

Ooooo. Love the lemon water idea. When ever I find lemons on sale I buy about 9 or 10, squeeze the juice and freeze a TB in each of the ice cube tray partitions. Then pop them all in a plastic bag for the freezer to use in anything I need. Lime too. Now I have a ton of ways to use the peels. Thank you girls!

10. Jen

Oh how I love your blog!! Found you through Pintrest and after browsing so many other DIY, mommy and other (great!) blogs, I am officially addicted to One Good Thing…THANK YOU!! :)

11. Ruthie in TN

I’m going to post this question in the forum as soon as my registration gets approved, but thought for now I would ask here, as the whole lemon vinegar thing made me think about it again:

Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to get good reusable cleaning supplies, such as spray bottles / scrubbers? Jillee’s had me making my own everything for long enough that I don’t have much left in the way of old brand-name spray bottles, and the ones I have re-used never seem to last very long before they start leaking everywhere.

I’d love to find things that are eco-friendly AND that don’t cost an arm & a leg – but that may be too much to ask. :O) I’ve found plenty of websites selling cleaning supplies but have no idea which ones I can trust.

1. Landon

The cleaning row in most any store has spray bottles & scrubbers near the mops & things. Also bottles can be found near the ironing boards in Walmart & around the kitchen/home supplies in The Dollar Tree. Those bottles should be $1 or less depending on the store. Also, many garden centers sell them, but I noticed the garden center here charges more for spray bottles than those in the cleaning area.

2. Rita

I looked online for bottles and sprayers, etc. By the time you pay shipping, it’s not worth it. I finally went to the Dollar Tree and bought 3 bottles of spray cleaner just for the sprayers and containers. I bought the big empty white bottles with sprayers at the Dollar Tree in the past, but they break down easily. The ones with cleaner already in them seem to be a much better quality.

12. CTY

If you are familiar with Feng Shui, lemon rinds (& whole fruit) are perfect. Place a bowl of rinds in a spot where stagnant air hangs around. It energizes chi and keeps it flowing.

13. Tammie

Jillee asked what we use lemon peels for and the first thing that came to mind was a remedy for sore throats. Take a lemon and cut the top 1/4 off. Score an ‘x’ in top, now exposed portion of the remaining lemon. Place a peppermint down into the ‘x’. Gently squeeze the lemon (or rol it between your two hands) to release some of the juice. Now simply suck on the lemon, drinking the juice. Do this until there isn’t anymore juice. Something about this magical concoction relieves your sore throat.

14. Deborah Jennings

Have any of you used the lemon zest in a cake. Oh my! If you like lemon as much as I do, try it. And I use the juice with powdered sugar to make the glaze. (I only make bundt cakes any more.) The lemon is so good, too. Just remember that with the zest, a little goes a long way. (I put a tad too much in the cake, but I still ate it all! I loved it!

15. meenakshi

In Indian restaurants, after a meal, they place little bowls of warm water with a thin lemon slice/wedge in it. One can dip one’s hands & fingers, swirl around & then wipe clean. It is Very refreshing, cleansing, & removes all traces of oil, greasiness. It leaves one’s hands feeling soft & clean.
    I do this as part of my home manicure routine.

16. Pingback: NaBloPoMo – 1/30 | jesspants

17. Nancy

I love lemons too and love the idea of using lemon peel to make lemon vinegar. I do think using lemons as cleansers is impractical if you don’t live in an area where they are inexpensive. I lived for 4 years in Houston and you could buy 10 lemons for $1.00 year round. But for most of the country (and where I live now) we are lucky to get 3 lemons for $1.00. That adds up to mighty expensive cleaner.

1. Sue S.

I have a “99cents Only” dollar store near me that has an assortment of vegetables, fruits and other food items, check there for bags of lemons if you have a “99cents Only” dollar store near you. And you guessed it, a bag of lemons is a buck!

18. Karen H.

I’ve become so conscious of all the nasty germs lurking around everywhere these days. And when I was made aware of all the crud living on menus in restaurants, I kinda freaked for not having thought of it sooner! So now, after I have ordered my meal and before I touch anything else, I use a slice of lemon to sanitize my hands. Keeps me from having to run to the ladies room to keep washing my hands!

19. Brittany

I am sooooo happy you posted this! I cleaned my stove with baking soda and lemon juice today and I claimed out loud I LOVE LEMONS! AND BAKING SODA! I love the smell of citrus as well, so anything to make the place smell like it I am down! Definitely want to make the lemon vinegar as I am in love with that as well. I also love those red sparkly nails you have there!

20. Allie

I LOVE Lemon. Great uses!
    Here are additional uses. Most are from Reader’s Digest.
    Eliminate Fireplace Odor – toss into a burning fire
    Last Resort to remove stains on marble – warning, it’s an acid, but it will bleach the stain
    Neutralize Cat Box Odor – a couple wedges in a bowl, will remove the scent from the air
    Deodorize Humidifier – 3 to 4 tspn. added to the water every few weeks will remove any odor and leave a nice lemony scent
    Prevent Potatoes and Cauliflower from turning brown – put a teaspoon of lemon juice in while they’re boiling and they won’t brown
    Brighten dull aluminum – rub the cut side of a lemon inside and out and buff with a soft cloth
    Keep rice from sticking – add a spoonful to boiling water, when done – let sit to cool and fluff with a fork
    Keep guacamole green, apple slices from browning, fruit salads fresh – just sprinkle liberally
    Make soggy lettuce crisp – Add the juice of half a lemon to a bowl of cold water. Then put the soggy lettuce in it and refrigerate for 1 hour. Make sure to dry the leaves completely before putting them into salads or sandwiches.
    Insect cleaner – you touched on this – here’s what I do – Simply mix the juice of 4 lemons (along with the rinds) with 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water and wash your floors with it; then watch the fleas and roaches flee. They hate the smell.
    Clean your microwave – Mix 3 tablespoons lemon juice into 1 1/2 cups water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 5-10 minutes, allowing the steam to condense on the inside walls and ceiling of the oven. Then just wipe away the softened food with a dishrag.
    Soak delicates in baking soda and lemon juice for at least half an hour before washing
    Remove underarm stains

1. Darlene in North GA

I would guess that mixing the powdered lemon essence from above with some sugar/sugar alternatives and adding to some water would do it. If not, then dehydrate the lemon pulp until brittle. Whirl in blender/food processor, add sugar/sugar substitute and water.

21. JEN C

Thanks for posting this. Everyone is always going on and on about cleaning with vinegar, but I can’t stand the smell. My mom used to run it through the coffee pot to clean it. I couldn’t stand being in the house on those days.

22. Melodie Welborn

Place the peels of 8 to 14 lemons in a large gallon jar cover completely with a 5th of vodka. Place out for 3 weeks. Shake gently every day. Let it sit for 21 days. Mix with simple syrup and you have homemade Limencello. It is delicious. Save the peels and dry them after soaking to make a garnish. This is great over fruit salad as well.

23. Tina

Just wanted to post a little something to those with cat problems… I read online that you can take the egg shells.. crush it up, and sprinkle it into your garden… I think egg shells can be used as fertilizers as well.. but anyway, the cats supposedly don’t like the feel of prickly shells on their paws, so they will stay away from your garden…

1. Paula

Don’t work. I tried it this past summer. Also tried using Moth Balls; didn’t work, either. I ended up with no garden, but plenty of cat fertilizer. lol

1. Michelle

To get rid of unwanted cats in your garden, sprinke alot of cayenne pepper among your rows of flowers/veggies, etc. Sprinkle it on kind of thick too. It won’t hurt your flowers or veggies in any way. The cats get it on their paws, lick them and they don’t like the intense heat in their mouth! I used it in my mulch in the front yard near my front door because they kept peeing in it and all I could smell was cat urine. I bought a large container of cayenne pepper from Sams Club, sprinkled it all over the mulch and had no problems after that. A friend told me about it as she used it all the time for her veggie garden to keep cats and other critters away.

24. Debbie

When someone in my house has a lot of congestion or a sore throat we make hot lemonade. It cuts the congestion in your throat and it feels much better.
    The other day we cut up lemons and ginger and put it in jars covered with honey to use as a tea base for sore throats and coughs.

25. Karen423

So many of the comments with detergent people are using just Vinegar in the washing machine rinse water. I don’t know about others, just I can still smell a hint of vinegar on my laundry when pulling it out. Thinking about this lemon vinegar what about infusing vinegar with lavender stalks in the summer months, or mint leaves if you have a mint plant.

lavender or mint smelling vinegar for laundry or cleaning.

1. Wanda

I was using just vinegar as my softener too until lately. I made Jillee’s Fresh Scent Homemade Fabric Softener using the Purex Crystals. Love it! I used the same fragrance crystals in my laundry detergent and my clothes smell wonderful! I have turned two girlfriends onto making their own detergent and softener this past week – and these are two who probably would not have considered doing that until they tried a sample. They thought I was crazy to make my own stuff … til they tried it.

26. Marlene Placido

Dog or horse mange remedy = a bunch of lemon peels, (okay if they have leftover stuff clinging to the insides) cover with water, wait 3 days, bathe infected areas with the water. Afterwards, add more water to the lemon peels, in another three days do it again.. Keep doing it till the mange clears up.. non toxic to pets or humans, and it works! I got this many years ago from a book by herbalist Juliet de Barcli-Levy.

27. Awesome1

Would the lemon vinegar be alright to use on your hair? I know everyone says to use ACV but I absolutely can NOT stand the smell. I think this would be a great alternative because of the added benefits of the lemon.

28. Kelly

I made this lemon vinegar some time ago. I use it sparingly as I still have tons of other cleaners I am trying to use them up first. But I have used it for everything. For instance the dog had a terrible hairball and decided to displace it on top of my suede sofa. Took a dishrag and solution to it and there is no stain of any kind. No smell at all. Have wash mirrors & windows with it and left no streaks and even kept away the steam from bath mirror for a few days of hot showers. I did leave my peels in for the entire time but just strained them a few days ago. Probably set for 2 months in vinegar. Smell of solution has no vinegar scent to it at all. Have shared with friends who have claimed it fantastic as well.

29. Dana

@Stephanie, I don’t see why not. I have made this with orange peels instead of lemons and it turned out great. This would probably work with any citrus peel.

30. Brooke

I LOVE citrus vinegar. I always a a sprig or two of rosemary to my lemon for that Williams Sonoma smell after I finish cleaning. But since we use more of them, I usually make grapefruit vinegar. It has a much lighter fragrance than the lemon or orange.

31. Mary J.

What great ideas for lemons. My husband and I have 13 acres of lemon trees and I am always picking lemons that won’t make it to the next harvest. I hate to see them go to waste and I love the smell so I can’t wait to use some of your ideas! Thanks.

32. LibStre

Hi Jillee–I was so excited when I saw this post and prepared a batch that was ready a couple of days ago. I kept dipping into the batch, like a child peeking at Christmas gifts before the holiday. Today I filtered the final product and sprayed it on the kitchen range hood and backsplash–holy cow, it cleaned like crazy! Thank you for sharing another “Good Thing by Jillee.”

33. Nena

So many great ideas. Lemons can be frozen and so can the peels. I keep a ziplock bag of lemon wedges in the fridge to add to ice tea, hot tea, V-8, water and other beverages. I also squeeze the lemons and freeze the lemon juice in ice cube trays for anything I might need lemon juice for. It’s healthier than bottled lemon juice which contains sodium. Peels go in a ziplock bag in the freezer too.

When I was a little girl, my grandma used to squeeze lemons into a bowl of warm water and rinse my hair with it. Then she would let me sit out in the sun for a while. My hair always had nice golden highlights when she did this. I still do it today. It’s safe for children and also alot healthier on your hair in the summer instead of chemicals, dyes or “sun-in”.

1. Natalia Fairbrother

Hello Jillee;

My question is on the lemon seeds.. How can they be used? I was thinking of grinding them in the
      coffee grinder. What health benefits do they hold?

34. Anna

THANK YOU for this awesome blog! I stumbled upon it this morning and have been loving all these cleaning tips! I’ve been using vinegar for years to clean; I can’t believe I never thought to add lemon! Just made up my first batch of Lemon Vinegar this morning and I’m impatiently waiting for the two weeks to be up so I can use it!!

35. Kristie

I also use an almost exact recipe for an all purpose cleaner-but I add fresh sprigs of rosemary to add to the scent! thanks for sharing this amazing blog with these great ideas!

36. Lisa C

It is official….. I have to start budgeting in a “Jillee” fund…..Every time I read this blog, I end up running to the store! I love this site. So many great ideas…..Thanks Jillee!