Thursday, November 15, 2012

Make Your Own Endless Supply of Swiffer Refills!

homemade swiffer padBelieve it or not, I have never purchased any kind of Swiffer device…until I decided to do a blog post about it. But lately I have had several people email me asking about a cheaper, greener alternative to those Swiffer pads and cleaning solution…so I decided I better check out this cleaning phenomenon.

Did you know that since Procter and Gamble introduced the Swiffer in 1999, it has grown to become one of the most recognized and successful brands in American history, with retail sales at over a half billion dollars??!! That’s a lot of swift-sweepering! :-) It’s obviously an idea people like…a LOT!

But constantly buying the refills for the Swiffer…dry or wet…can add up. So today I’m going to show you how to save yourself some $$ AND save resources by making your own REUSABLE “pads” and cleaning solution. Two ideas that are so simple you’ll be smacking your forehead (like I was) and uttering that familiar phrase…“Why didn’t *I* think of that?”

This idea is one I’ve seen on Pinterest a few times and quite honestly didn’t believe it could possibly work like people claimed it would. But one day I found myself walking past a display of these pretty, pink chenille socks at the dollar store and couldn’t resist buying a pair to put the idea to the test. Of course that meant I had to buy the Swiffer apparatus as well, since I didn’t own one, but I figured it was well worth the $9.99 for the sake of home science!

When I got my new cleaning tools home I began the arduous task of putting them together. Of course I’m being totally sarcastic because you literally click the sections of the handle together to the head of the Swiffer and then put the sock over it. Done.

homemade swiffer pad

But as nifty as it looks, I still had my doubts whether it would actually work. Well color me WRONG…because it worked like a charm. I took the swiffer-sock for a quick spin around my kitchen floor (that I had actually just cleaned the day before!) and………………..

homemade swiffer pad

homemade swiffer pad

homemade swiffer pad

……… this is what is came up with!  I didn’t think it would work on a DIRTY floor, let alone one I THOUGHT was clean! But I was happily mistaken. The proof is in the DIRT!

homemade swiffer pad

And now all you do is slide the sock off and throw it in the washing machine! ONE DOLLAR just bought you a virtually endless supply of “pads” for your Swiffer!

homemade swiffer pad

Now, if this wasn’t cool enough…out of the clear blue, my nephew Danny sent me a message on my iPhone the other day showing me his DIY idea for pricey Swiffer WetJet refills. He said he really likes his WetJet, but didn’t like paying for the refills and actually liked his homemade solution better!

homemade wetjet refill

(Note:  I realize the picture shows the WetJet on carpeting. He wasn’t cleaning his carpet with it!  He was just showing me the device.)

Here are the pictures he sent me showing his refill “hack”. Yep, all he did was cut a hole in the bottom (top?) of the bottle and pour in his own concoction of 50 percent water/50 percent vinegar and just a drop or two of dish soap.

homemade wetjet refill

I have yet to try this out myself but knowing my nephew….it’s a winner!  It looks like I’m going to have to go buy one more Swiffer apparatus…all in the name of home science, of course!

So, how do YOU Swiffer?  Share your tips, tricks and hacks!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

227 thoughts on “Make Your Own Endless Supply of Swiffer Refills!

1. Nancy

I saw a post on Pintrest that if you put the bottle top in hot water it comes off to be refilled. I do not own a wet one, so I have not tryed it. But I will try the sock on my duster. Wonder how that will work on the hand duster too. Will have to try it! Thank you for all your posts, they cheer me.

1. Amy

Hot water worked for me. I boiled about two inches of water, then stick just the cap in the boiling water for about 20 seconds, then it twisted right off! It screws right back on with no leaks. And you dont have to do the hot water trick for each time you want to open it, once and teats it!
        I love the socks idea, I crocheted some pads for my sweeper and wetjet but this idea is awesome!

1. Karen in AZ

I have also made both crocheted and knit covers for my Swiffer AND my mop! Since I knit a LOT of dish cloths, I save all the bits from the ends of the balls of cotton yarn and use those. (I figure that I’m going to be bleaching these things anyway and the colors won’t matter after a couple of times through the wash.) These work great and can be used again and again. There are patterns on Ravelry. I’ve found the seed stitch nice because it gives a “scrubbing” surface rather than stockinette stitch. (Garter stitch is too stretchy.)

1. sandi

I worked in a assisted living home and one of the residents daughters knitted the dish cloths and gave me one i loved it !!!!!! I would wash it so i could use it again instead of my others until it fell apart, unfortunately i can not knit.

2. Vicki

If you put the top of the bottle in boiling hot water for a few seconds, then you can carefully use pliers to turn the lid and get it off. There are little plastic bits that keep the lid from coming off, and this breaks those so you can twst it on and off again. If you do it carefully it won’t leak. I made pads for mine from a washcloth, sewing a pocket on each end, then put another washcloth folded in half on the inside for extra padding and absorption. It works great. The homemade cleaner is so much better than the real Swiffer cleaner, which always left my floor sticky.

3. Michelle

I had to use a wrench to get my cap off after soaking it in hot water. My husband however is able to just twist the cap off. I think it’s all in the strength. The cap will come off if you work it.

4. m.a.

I did it with the hot boiling water and it came off right away, with a little resistance but it did. maybe try leaving it in the water a little longer and definitely use a towel.

1. tx_cotton

Dunk the cap in hot water to soften the plastic, twist it off, and then clip off the little locking tabs with a pair of nail clippers. Easy! I also make my solution with 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar. Since I don’t care for straight vinegar smell, I added peppermint essential oil to the mixture. I will have to try the 2-3 drops of dish soap.

2. Patricia

I crocheted myself several washable swiffer covers out of cotton yarn. there are tons of patterns out there. on the net if you Google it. They make great little gifts/stocking stuffers for all the floor cleaners on your list too :).
    Love your blog!

1. Heidi

Gosh Patricia, I never thought about that! Thanks so much for the tip, I will google it now and grab my crochet needle and cotton yarn! :) Thanks so much for the idea! AND Jillee, as always YOU ROCK….can’t imagine not having your blog and awesome ideas! Thanks for spending your time making our lives easier and better!

3. Bonnie

I have the dry Swiffer but have never bought refills of the same brand. I buy very cheap towels for dusters at cheap stores. I also have a lot of rags that I have made from old t-shirts and lots and lots of old socks, that once I am done cleaning I just throw them away. I do not like to put them in my washer!

Bonnie
    from Belgium

1. Vikki

I love the sock idea but also agree with Bonnie about not liking to put those dirty things in my washer. I will definitely use my old socks and t-shirts this way before throwing them away and using the chenille socks when I don’t have anything old to use! Thanks!!

1. Casey

I think it is so funny you ladies don’t put “dirty” things in your WASHING machine! I am curious as to what you use it for then? I cloth diaper and wash lots of cleaning cloths all the time so it just seems silly not putting it in the washer. If it really weirds you out you can always rinse it first in the sink and then wash it…but then you would be touching something dirty! :)

1. Denise

@ Casey, I thought it was odd as well that they dont want to put something dirty in a washing machine. When my Son was young, I used cloth diapers and never thought twice about washing them because they were DIRTY! LMBO! Oh well… different strokes for different folks lol

2. CTY

Jillee–Gotta watch those chenille socks–they can bleed, some times they are chenille like also do not put them in the dryer because they lose their loftiness (dirt grabbing abilities).
        For me my cleaning rags have their very own load and I wash them right before my monthly sanitizing of the washer.

2. Nadine

I totally understand what you mean about putting things like that in the washer some things are just gross. things like the dog hair covered dog bed. If you save up enough of the socks rags or what ever you are using to make up a load worth your time just pop into a laundry mat and use their machines to me it is worth the few dollars to wash my bathroom rugs and dog bed covers so my machine doesn’t get gross. I don’t have an issue with floor cleaning cloths as I usually run things like that through the washer twice, once on a rinse and then on a wash. oh and regular wash cloths work great in the swiffer you just poke the corners in the holes. I buy the little $5 bundles of wash cloths at places like wallyworld. :)

1. Melinda

isn’t the point of all of this to save money. not having to but the expensive replacement pads yet paying to do laundry at the laundry mat? Maybe I’m missing something?

2. Susan

Yes, please do go to the laundry mat with your dog beds, filthy greasy rags, etc. I love it when my clothes come out smelling like the garage. If the rags aren’t suitable for your washer, why use one others are forced to use? Some people do not have landlords that will let you own a washer or dryer. Again, thank you for being inconsiderate!

4. Deborah

Yep! head smacking here ~ ouch/ duh moment. Thanks for sharing this quick fix. I too have been collecting crochet instructions for swifter wipes for floors & dusting. Have one in the making now, but will try this in the meantime. Might like it even better, who knows.

5. Priscilla

You can open the bottle by soaking the lid in hot water for 10 seconds and then use a towel to twist off the cap. When I originally started doing this, there were little plastic fingers inside the cap that gripped the bottle. If there are, snipped them off with scissors and you won’t have trouble opening the cap again. I didn’t have any trouble with leaking after I did this. However, I did have trouble with the solutions clogging the spray nozzle. I got so tired of it, I got a different mop that can be refilled with ease (and, which leaks around the cap!). There’s a quick video on YouTube (does not mention the plastic fingers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pO-AbT3GpE

6. Megan P

I’ve got both a swiffer and a wetjet. I’ve been bad about not really using the swiffer although I use the wetjet a lot. My problem with it is that it takes batteries (although they do last a long time). I still hate using things that use batteries because they always die when you least expect them to! I’ve pulled out the old regular swiffer and have promised myself that when I run out of wetjet solution or the batteries die again (whichever comes first) I’m going to goodwill it and just start using the regular swiffer with a spray bottle of vinegar water that I already have for all purpose cleaning. :)

1. Karen423

That is what I do is regular swiffer with all purpose spray solution for the floor. Going to try it with the chenille socks though. Just not the socks with the little non skid grips on them.

2. Kerri T

I also got really sick of my batteries dying in the middle of a mopping. I solved the problem with re-chargeable batteries. Works great! Get the one that holds four at a time. :)

3. Susan

Libman (and I think Clorox) makes a model with a tank that is designed for refilling, and they don’t use batteries (it operates on a trigger like sprayer). Very good design for those who don’t like filling up our landfills. Oh, and they don’t use disposable pads (maybe you can buy them, not sure), they come with ones you reuse!

7. Wendy

I have the Wetjet and do the hot water on the lid to refil. will look for the fingers to cut off next time. But there is also a different brand of mop, Liebman, that does the same thing only, they have and sell a washable pad. yes they are 8.99 each and I bought 3 of them to rotate. They work fine, they are thicker than socks and less likely to comes up holely. yes their cost is up there, but we are happy with it.

1. Viky

I switched to Libman products because they are made in the US and I like their sustainability program … I use their freedom mop replacement heads on an older Swiffer I bought before their freedom mop came out and when the swiffer dies, I’ll go Libman. They also have the BEST microfiber cleaning cloths I’ve found — I buy the green and purple and use the purple for wet and the green for drying and I haven’t used a paper towel for cleaning in five years.

1. Jen K.

I have the Libman mop too. I love it! I use my citrus vinegar and make my solution just the same as this. But this is a great idea if you already have a swiffer. I spent 20 bucks on the libman mop and the pads for it were like 7 bucks a piece. I thought it was a tad pricey, but definitely better than spending the ridiculous amount they charge for the disposable products.

1. Heather

I use a Libman too. When the mop is cheaper than the swiffer and one re-usable pad is the same price as one refill pack of swiffer wipes, it’s a savings right at the register–and then I don’t have to buy solvents or refill wipes ever again. Just the same vinegar I’d be using in the counter spray bottle. Easy peasy!

2. CC

Went to the dollar store and bought microfiber rags. Basically folded the microfiber in half and put some batting/old towel in the middle and sewed around it and it sticks to the Swiffer just like Velcro and I just throw them in the laundry when done. Has saved me a lot as we have dogs and constantly mopping up after them.

8. Sarah

I bought a pack of microfiber carwash cloths from Target and cut them to fit my swiffer. I could cut 2 swiffer pads per cloth, with a length of extra fabric left over for a general cleaning rag. Work like a charm, washable, reusable, cheap (it was $5 [clearance] for 8 cloths = 16 swiffer pads). I love them! I use microfiber cloths to clean
    E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G though!

9. KatieQ

I have a Swiffer that I bought when they first came out. I gave up on refills years ago. I usually use old socks or old flannel sheets that are cut to size. I also have some micro fiber cloths from the dollar store that work well with it. I do think your pink micro fiber sock might pick up more than a regular sock.

10. NancyV908

Thank you. This is a great idea!

I’d like to point out there are other alternatives to the Wet Jet that do not use batteries and do not try to force you to buy their cleaning solution. Instead, they have containers that are designed to be refillable. I bought the O’Cedar version but there are others. It just has a simple trigger–I don’t see why batteries are necessary for any product like this–and the bottle is even marked for how far to refill it with your own solution. You don’t have to work to defeat their attempts to make it hard to refill the bottle. I really didn’t like how the Swiffer tries to force you to be wasteful and stick with their cleaning solution, so I was glad to find an alternative.

1. Karen423

I am sure Jillee didn’t put it in a load of whites, but just opened the lid on whatever was in the wash at the time for the picture. Is she suppose to wait until she has an appropriate load in the washer to hold the sock over for the picture?

11. Carol R

I too have replaced the solution in my Swiffer with just the vinegar and water,nothing else.I ran out unexpectedly and I ended up prying the cap off to refill.I like your idea of cutting a notch in the top too.It took some work.It is possible to get the cap off and that way if it isn’t hung up to store, you will not have any tip over accidents.

1. Sharon

Carol
      You can hack the caps off my heating them up in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and they come off real easy, so you can reuse the same bottle over & over again.

12. Beckey

I like the wet jet alternative. I quit using my wet jet years ago because 1. the solution is expensive and 2. I read of cases where the solution was killing pets of which I have several. The solution was not left down for them to get into. Rather, the pet would walk across the floor before it was completely dry. Then when they cleaned themselves and licked their paws they ingested the solution. A study of the solution indicated that it was only 1 molecule away from anti-freeze which we all know is poisonous to pets. I will definitely have to try these options. They look well worth my while.

1. Kate

This claim was actually disputed to be false, the wet jet solution is not toxic to pets (I too stopped using it for years until I did more research). Everything is one molecule away from something else…margarine is one molecule away from being plastic but people still eat it (not me, I don’t like the taste). I’ve been using the solution for 2 years and my pets are perfectly fine, however I’ll be using the DIY version from now on! I love cutting out all the chemicals in household cleaners :)

2. Lanie

Please, please, PLEASE research things before you say them. “One molecule away from anti-freeze” is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. Do you even know what a molecule is?

1. Angel

Maybe you should do your research before you speak because there was a thing on the news about the swiffer solution killing animals and was similar to antifreeze. People like you make me sick, just because you didnt hear about it must mean it never happened. LOL stupid people

13. Ariana

I did the Swiffer bottle cap hack along with buying reusable pads on etsy. But I am much, much happier with my new libman freedom mop. No batteries, washable pads and you can easily use your own solution. I highly recommend it.

14. Karena

Last year I brought from Target a Reveal Spray Mop with 2 Additional Reusable Microfiber Pads and Refill Bottle, which is an investment for me since I don’t like the chemicals in the swifter jet product. I love being able to put any homemade solution into the refill bottle and clean my floors.

1. Judy Ann

I too have the Reveal Spray Mop…as I got tired of buying refills for the Swiffer Mop. Plus, It just didn’t clean that good. I love the Reveal…and I can use what I want to use to clean the floor. I like to use vinegar as well, and it smells nice instead of like chemicals. I soak the pad in hot soapy water and then just hand wash it and hang to dry! Easy to use. Love it.

15. Ali

I swear people laugh at me when I say you’re my hero.

I love this idea. I banned all swiffer use in the house because I hated the residue the wet, dry and dusters all leave behind. I’m definitely going to have to give this one a whirl. Would the chenille socks work for the swiffer wet jet? We currely use the pads from our old broken steam mop which work but if the socks work BETTER then I’m of course all game for spending $1 for cleaner floors.

16. kim

BRILLIANT! I have never bought a swiffer because I didn’t want to spend the money on the disposable pads. I am now in the market for a swiffer and dollar store socks! So much easier than a broom and dust pan.

17. Lillian

Inspired by stuff like the WetJet, I just arm myself with a spray bottle that has a mopping solution in it. Or at this point, I arm the kids with it, since they do more mopping than I ever have now. For some reason they don’t hate it like I do!

18. Heleno'6

I saw the Pinterest tip about removing the cap as well. IT WORKS! I did it and have not bought another WetJet Refill again. I love the sock idea and will be heading to the dollar store for that idea. Thanks!!

19. KD

This is great. I’ve been using old cut up t-shirts to mop my hardwood and porcelain floors for years, instead of buying their wet refills for the mop. I have a bunch of those socks I wear around the house, I wonder why I didn’t think of doing this with the ones that get too worn to wear anymore. Thanks Jillee!

20. Tammy D

I bought a yard of $1.00/yard flannel at Walmart about 10 years ago and cut them into the size of the pads that came with the Swiffer. Did a quick serger sew about the edges and have been using them ever since. I think a yard made about 40 or 50 pads. The only 2 that I have thrown away were grabbed by friends and family to wipe paint off of something.

1. Cathy

Go to the fabric store and look in the remmants bin for odd fleece. (Doesn’t have to be pretty or match anything). Cut it the size of a Swifter pad. And voila’ catches dust and or washes your floor! No sew is easiest for me! :)

1. LauraF315

If you’re talking about the old swiffer and not the wet jet. I just use the cheap baby wipes. They work better than the swiffer wet pads and I always have them.

21. Gia Walker

Love the sock idea! We make our own refills for the wet jet as well. A note to pet owners, our cat had a siezure after my husband had cleaned the floors with the swiffer wet jet solution. We can’t say it was directly related, but we haven’t used the Swiffer solution since then, and he’s been fine.

22. Diane

I use microfiber cloths but I love the sock idea better. Another use for my swiffer is touching up walls that need a little washing. Sometimes the humidity makes little streaks in the top corners of my walls, I just squirt a little cleaner on the pad and go at it! Super for dusting walls too, gets behind furniture with ease!

1. Judy

I have used the micro soft cloth for years to wash down my walls as I am unable to climb, due to knee and back arthritis. Just attach a wet wrung out cloth to swiffer, wash top strip around first then complete a line down and wring out rag in bucket of water with favorite cleaner, walls shine and room smells clean.I can clean a whole room in less than 20 minutes. Works on doors and frames , and woodwork as well. Whole room clean in less than hour.

23. Hazel

Absolutely genius and perfect timing too I was about go toss my pile of unmatched socks, how my kids manage to only make 1 sock in the laundry is beyond me, were do the others disappear to?

24. Cindy

I did not read through the comments made so far so I hope this is not a dupe.
    I like to use store bought dryer sheets that have gone through the dryer already once. New may work too but I was afraid of it becoming too slick and someone losing their footage so I used used ones.
    For the wet ones, if it is not too bad after going over the floor, I leave it on and as an example, we have three dogs here, 2 really large ones and one medium size. When it is wet outside and the dogs come in the house after a potty break they drag in a lot of mud from outside onto the floor. I spray out a little all purpose cleaner and wipe the tracks up with the semi dirty wet swiffer pad. It helps to get the brunt of the dirt until it can be really cleaned once it dried up outside.
    Just my thoughts….

25. julie

Great idea with the socks. With the wetjet thingie ( I have Target’s cheaper version ). I use vinegar/water/couple drops of DoTERRA OnGuard oil or Cleaner Concentrate! It’s MARVELOUS!!! Smells good too (can add Lemon oil too).
    I’m sure your sis knows all about that mixture!
    Blessings
    julie

26. kris

I bought a fleece blanket for $1.50 at walmart. Ugly color!!! I made my own swifter pads I also wet them for my floors- but I also made swifter dusters. put a couple layers together sewed them down the middle like the duster is and cut fringe . Inserted the wand thing and wala!! I also Have a high stairway that I can’t reach so I got an extension pole in the paint department made a duster to fit that and now I can clean all the ceiling corners without help and dust the walls. The fleece washes great!

27. Jennifer

I made my swiffer pads from left over flannel and a recycled sweat shirt. I used a swiffer pad that came with it to make a cardboard templet. I also use some chenille type dust cloths that I got at the dollar store. All work great. The sweatshirt material gives me two textures to work with. I also use the dust cloths on the swiffer to do my “high” dusting, all those corners/ceilings/stairwells, where I normally can’t reach. (I’m only 5’3″, old house with high ceilings) All are so easy to wash. I do put the chenille cloths in a wash bag to keep them from picking up fuzzies from my other cleaning rags.

28. Deb

Not sure if anyone above has said this so if I am repeating, please forgive. I also use a Swiffer Wet Jet which I plan to discontinue when it runs out of batteries and juice. I currently use a microfiber dusting cloth which I bought on sale, cut and made two for my dry swiffer. I thought I would try it on the wet swiffer too – my first attempt failed miserably – why? Because I covered up the hole where the cleaner spritzes out! Duh, but now I place the cloth on the floor and line up the front edge of the Swiffer Wet Jet bottom pad thingy with the edge of the microfiber cloth, then wrap the two sides and the back up around using 2 bulldog clips for each side of the handle. So the stuff squirts out, and the cloth stays on the swiffer due to the velcro like bottom as well as the clips holding the cloth up. I will def. try the Libman.

One question I have is why vinegar is not good for hardwood, and in that case, what should I use instead? I use a Shark steamer on my tile (no chemicals) with a drop here and there of essential oil (lavendar or citronella oil) and the wet one on my wood floors. When you steam over the oil it gives a lovely scent throughout the house! Trying to go more natural. Love all the hints!

29. CraftyMamaT

The only Swiffer product I own is the vacuum one. I do not like the wet one, because it always left my floors feeling grimy, and no matter how well I swept before, it left a line of lint. But the vacuum, it is amazing for cleaning up small spills of dry things (like granulated sugar, cereals, etc.)

30. Alice

I use old wash cloths for this chore. I just tuck them in the holes that I used to tuck the refills into and clean away. When this is soiled I take it to the br sink rinse it and put it back on the swiffer and use it over and over until it is too dirty to use again then I drop it into the washer with other cleaning cloths and wash. It will be ready to use again when I get the urge to clean floors, which unfortunatenatly is not nearly as often as it should be.

1. Landon

I do the same thing with a dry swiffer floor cleaner. Wash cloth tucked in the holes & I use my own vinegar solution in a cheap spray bottle. When I’m done I wash all my cleaning rags together as their own load too.

31. Meredith

This is genius!! I’ve stuffed my Swiffer away since I don’t like to spend the money on the refills. I’ve tried making different types of reusable pads and they NEVER worked. This is outstanding! OH! you can purchase Swiffer wet jets with reusable containers instead of cutting into the old one. I’ve tried that and it doesn’t work for long and it makes a mess. (just my two cents) They’re not Swiffer brand though. Thanks for the tip!!!

32. Danielle F.

I’ve been using my own solution for the wet jet and it’s similar to your nephew’s. I had not heard of boiling water to take the cap off and had been using a flathead screwdriver to pop it off. :) I’m thinking the hot water may be a bit easier.

I think the sock idea is great for dusting. For the wet jet, I bought a couple of the reusable microfiber pads and they still work great after having them over a year. Like the sock, they can be thrown in the washing machine and come out ready to go for the next round.

33. Zoquara

I use the O-Cedar brand. They MAKE reusable microfiber pads and refillable bottles for theirs, so there’s no pressure to keep buying disposable pads or bottles, and no need to “hack” anything.

34. Karol

If you sew and have fleece scraps, or if you don’t, buy some when it’s on sale at JoAnn or other fabric stores. Cut to the size for the swiffer and stuff in the holes and use for dusting. Turn over and use other side, then wash. Doesn’t ravel so no edge finish required. Washes and dries great. Lasts forever.
    Karol

35. CTY

I like the spirit of using what you have on hand. I remember a trick I saw as a kid. For dust bunnies/cob webs in hard to reach places, just place panty hose (if anyone still wears them–or maybe little girl tights/leggings) over a broom and sweep away.
    A friend in her 80′s said to me, “God blesses you with poor eyesight so you can’t see what you can no longer bend over to clean”. She kept her house immaculate simply by cleaning, if it looked dirty or not; also by using a swiffer while employing a computer chair for mobility.
    I too made my own duster refill, by sewing, and then cutting the fringe- from a piece of fleece bought at Walmart, 1/4 yd for $1.10 and it made 5 refills. Just don’t toss it in the dryer. Had a version of the wet & did not like it, once the pad was saturated with cleaning fluid the pad seemed useless. I figured I’d make my own pads but decided it was just as quick for me to spot clean the nuisance with rag in hand. I do like the idea of using the old fashioned dust mop–the broom just seems to make dog hair air born without getting it up.
    Libman products are for me–they are good quality and made in my own country. I wish the movement to buy domestic goods (wherever you live) was as popular as going green! Most of the cheap stuff made abroad is disposable mainly because it won’t last past one use. Pennywise & pound foolish if you ask me. And

36. KarenDF

Does anyone have any preferences between Reveal or Swiffer-type mops vs. steam cleaners for non-wood surfaces? Please … do tell.

Old-fashioned rag mop & bucket method is getting old for me … made sense in the 2700 sq foot home (ceramic tile & carpet). I always felt like Swiffer wouldn’t get into cracks & crevices of stone-style ceramic tile & grout well enough. But, there’s just gotta be a better way now that I have much less hard surface to clean (downsized to townhouse-style duplex, mostly carpeted with laminate near entrance, in kitchen & two baths).
    ~ Curious about the Reveal or Swiffer (refitted with microfiber) since they seem less cumbersome & heavy than mop/bucket. I know they are popular for those that have hardwood floors. But, how well do they clean other surfaces like ceramic tile with grout or laminate?
    ~ I own a Shark-type steam cleaner. Never tried it for the floors since the canister is cumbersome hanging on a shoulder strap.

1. Lara

I purchased an o’cedar pro-mist mop. It comes with a reusable microfiber for dry and partially reusable/disposable for mopping. The canister is refillable with a line for water and add 2 tsps of cleaner or what ever floats your boat! It’s SUPER easy, takes no batteries and the sock/wash cloth/blanket/microfiber etc etc would ALL work with it. It has a Velcro bottom and the four corner inserts up top! LOVE IT!

37. Rebecca

Great ideas. I’ve often used a thin rag on my dry Swiffer – tucking the ends in the holes on top. I don’t think a sock would stretch over a Wet Jet – any ideas for that? (Besides the Libman reusables – tho I may try those on my Swiffer some time.) I love my Wet Jet but I do get tired of buying the pads.

1. JAMIE MILLER

I’m thinking you could use a mans tube sock…when they get holes in the instead of throwing them away they would work great!