Make Your Own Endless Supply of Swiffer Refills!

homemade swiffer padBelieve it or not, I have never purchased any kind of Swiffer device…until I decided to do a blog post about it. But lately I have had several people email me asking about a cheaper, greener alternative to those Swiffer pads and cleaning solution…so I decided I better check out this cleaning phenomenon.

Did you know that since Procter and Gamble introduced the Swiffer in 1999, it has grown to become one of the most recognized and successful brands in American history, with retail sales at over a half billion dollars??!! That’s a lot of swift-sweepering! :-) It’s obviously an idea people like…a LOT!

But constantly buying the refills for the Swiffer…dry or wet…can add up. So today I’m going to show you how to save yourself some $$ AND save resources by making your own REUSABLE “pads” and cleaning solution. Two ideas that are so simple you’ll be smacking your forehead (like I was) and uttering that familiar phrase…“Why didn’t *I* think of that?”

This idea is one I’ve seen on Pinterest a few times and quite honestly didn’t believe it could possibly work like people claimed it would. But one day I found myself walking past a display of these pretty, pink chenille socks at the dollar store and couldn’t resist buying a pair to put the idea to the test. Of course that meant I had to buy the Swiffer apparatus as well, since I didn’t own one, but I figured it was well worth the $9.99 for the sake of home science!

When I got my new cleaning tools home I began the arduous task of putting them together. Of course I’m being totally sarcastic because you literally click the sections of the handle together to the head of the Swiffer and then put the sock over it. Done.

homemade swiffer pad

But as nifty as it looks, I still had my doubts whether it would actually work. Well color me WRONG…because it worked like a charm. I took the swiffer-sock for a quick spin around my kitchen floor (that I had actually just cleaned the day before!) and………………..

homemade swiffer pad

homemade swiffer pad

homemade swiffer pad

……… this is what is came up with!  I didn’t think it would work on a DIRTY floor, let alone one I THOUGHT was clean! But I was happily mistaken. The proof is in the DIRT!

homemade swiffer pad

And now all you do is slide the sock off and throw it in the washing machine! ONE DOLLAR just bought you a virtually endless supply of “pads” for your Swiffer!

homemade swiffer pad

Now, if this wasn’t cool enough…out of the clear blue, my nephew Danny sent me a message on my iPhone the other day showing me his DIY idea for pricey Swiffer WetJet refills. He said he really likes his WetJet, but didn’t like paying for the refills and actually liked his homemade solution better!

homemade wetjet refill

(Note:  I realize the picture shows the WetJet on carpeting. He wasn’t cleaning his carpet with it!  He was just showing me the device.)

Here are the pictures he sent me showing his refill “hack”. Yep, all he did was cut a hole in the bottom (top?) of the bottle and pour in his own concoction of 50 percent water/50 percent vinegar and just a drop or two of dish soap.

homemade wetjet refill

I have yet to try this out myself but knowing my nephew….it’s a winner!  It looks like I’m going to have to go buy one more Swiffer apparatus…all in the name of home science, of course!

So, how do YOU Swiffer?  Share your tips, tricks and hacks!

Share on Facebook953Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest46,329Google+8

Comments

1. Nancy says

I saw a post on Pintrest that if you put the bottle top in hot water it comes off to be refilled. I do not own a wet one, so I have not tryed it. But I will try the sock on my duster. Wonder how that will work on the hand duster too. Will have to try it! Thank you for all your posts, they cheer me.

2. Patricia says

I crocheted myself several washable swiffer covers out of cotton yarn. there are tons of patterns out there. on the net if you Google it. They make great little gifts/stocking stuffers for all the floor cleaners on your list too :).
    Love your blog!

3. Bonnie says

I have the dry Swiffer but have never bought refills of the same brand. I buy very cheap towels for dusters at cheap stores. I also have a lot of rags that I have made from old t-shirts and lots and lots of old socks, that once I am done cleaning I just throw them away. I do not like to put them in my washer!

Bonnie
    from Belgium

4. Deborah says

Yep! head smacking here ~ ouch/ duh moment. Thanks for sharing this quick fix. I too have been collecting crochet instructions for swifter wipes for floors & dusting. Have one in the making now, but will try this in the meantime. Might like it even better, who knows.

5. mdoe37 says

The wetjet bottle tops will also unscrew if give a bit more persuasion with slip lock pliers or a quick turn in a snug vice.

6. Carolyn says

One day before I saw this I tried a regular sock and was pleased
    I love reading all ur ideas and helps thanks!

7. Priscilla says

You can open the bottle by soaking the lid in hot water for 10 seconds and then use a towel to twist off the cap. When I originally started doing this, there were little plastic fingers inside the cap that gripped the bottle. If there are, snipped them off with scissors and you won’t have trouble opening the cap again. I didn’t have any trouble with leaking after I did this. However, I did have trouble with the solutions clogging the spray nozzle. I got so tired of it, I got a different mop that can be refilled with ease (and, which leaks around the cap!). There’s a quick video on YouTube (does not mention the plastic fingers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pO-AbT3GpE

8. Megan P says

I’ve got both a swiffer and a wetjet. I’ve been bad about not really using the swiffer although I use the wetjet a lot. My problem with it is that it takes batteries (although they do last a long time). I still hate using things that use batteries because they always die when you least expect them to! I’ve pulled out the old regular swiffer and have promised myself that when I run out of wetjet solution or the batteries die again (whichever comes first) I’m going to goodwill it and just start using the regular swiffer with a spray bottle of vinegar water that I already have for all purpose cleaning. :)

9. Wendy says

I have the Wetjet and do the hot water on the lid to refil. will look for the fingers to cut off next time. But there is also a different brand of mop, Liebman, that does the same thing only, they have and sell a washable pad. yes they are 8.99 each and I bought 3 of them to rotate. They work fine, they are thicker than socks and less likely to comes up holely. yes their cost is up there, but we are happy with it.

10. Sarah says

I bought a pack of microfiber carwash cloths from Target and cut them to fit my swiffer. I could cut 2 swiffer pads per cloth, with a length of extra fabric left over for a general cleaning rag. Work like a charm, washable, reusable, cheap (it was $5 [clearance] for 8 cloths = 16 swiffer pads). I love them! I use microfiber cloths to clean
    E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G though!