Our Family’s FAVORITE Semi-Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix!

semi-homemade hot chocolate Ever since the weather started turning colder…we have been going through a LOT of hot chocolate at our house! We USED to be a Swiss Miss family until last December when I discovered this semi-homemade version of hot chocolate that we fell in love with! It’s SO good once you try it, you will never want to go back to the store-bought stuff again!

Case in point: the hubster recently got back from a business trip to Calgary, Canada. While he was there he went to a restaurant called Tim Horton’s that is supposedly famous for their hot chocolate. He said THAT hot chocolate didn’t hold a candle to THIS.

That convinced me it was time to re-introduce our favorite hot chocolate to those of you who missed it the first time around.

semi-homemade hot chocolate

Jillee’s Family’s Favorite Semi-Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 4 cups powdered milk
  • 21.8 oz box Nestle Nesquik (you could substitute the homemade Nesquik, I just haven’t tried it yet.)
  • 16 oz instant coffee creamer
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (you can adjust this to taste. I like it a little less sweet and this amount is perfect).

Mix all of this together in a big bowl. (Trust me on this one!) Pour into a storage jar or canister. To make a mug of cocoa, fill it with water or milk and heat in the microwave. Add 3-5 heaping tablespoons of mix to the cup and stir well.

semi-homemade hot chocolate

Some the things I like most about this mix:

• #1 It mixes into hot milk or water wonderfully! No little globs of unincorporated hot chocolate mix floating on top.
  • #2 It’s the perfect sweetness!
  • #3 Like your hot chocolate with a normal amount of creaminess? Add 3 heaping tablespoons of mix. Like it EXTRA creamy? Add 5 tablespoons. It’s very customizable.
  • #4 It is THE PERFECT compliment to buttered toast in the morning. :-)  Especially English Muffin Bread! One of my favorite breakfasts!

And finally…..

• #5 It makes a GREAT gift!  Especially at Christmastime. For a neighbor or teacher, fill a mason jar with mix and attach a tag. For someone you’re closer to, make a whole big batch and put it in a beautiful glass canister. Trust me, they will LOVE you! :-)
semi-homemade hot chocolate

Share on Facebook259Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest18,640Google+0

Comments

1. CTY says

Guess who is up early to shop! Reminds me of my first DIY Hot Cocoa Powder recipe. Mine was Carnation Hot Cocoa Mix & creamer (Carnation, Nestle & Coffemate are now the same company). I would also toss in about 20 ground peppermints (processed to a fine dust– your Blendtec would work great). I sold it before Christmas. The one year I sold nearly 300 lbs of it- just by word of mouth through friends and family.
    Especially good when made with milk.

Were the twenty ground peppermints tossed into the approximately same size recipe as Jill’s on this blog? sounds yummy. Thanks Jillee and “CTY”, I can’t wait to try this!

2. Shannon says

This looks great and I can’t wait to try it out, great for gifts!

But Timmies isn’t famous for their hot chocolate. Only their coffee. I live in Edmonton, and there is one on every corner!

• julila says

I agree. They aren’t famous for their hot Chocolate and I don’t like it at all. I love the coffee but make my own hot chocolate. Thanks for the recipe!!!

• Becky says

Your ho-cho mix looks good :)
        I’m also in Edmonton and Timmies is definitely not famous for their hot chocolate. It’s famous for their coffee, but it’s gross too (though I’m one of only a few canadians to think so)

• Denise says

LOL Becky I totally agree with you! I like Duncan Donuts coffee sooo much better! I swear because it’s popular people just follow the leader and dont try different brands… but that is just my personal opinion! I live in Buffalo, NY and grew up on Tim Hortons in Ft. Erie ON. We mostly went for the donuts but now that it is in the states, that has changed a lot too!

3. Jo says

I just made my second batch of this! My family loves it!!!
    Shannon is right! Tim Hortons (affectionately know as Timmies to us Canadians!) is known for their coffee, which I don’t drink.

Now, I enjoyed a Timmie’s Hot Chocolate just the other day, and it was pretty epic. Creamy, thick, delicious. I like hot chocolate that doesn’t require marshmallows to be drinkable, and Timmie’s? It’s that kind of hot chocolate.

That said, Tim’s is not famous for hot chocolate, it’s famous for coffee and doughnuts, and for being affordable eats. My city (80,000) has 7 or 8 of them, I think. My husband both had a good chuckle about you referring to it as a restaurant – it’s no more a restaurant than McDonald’s or Burger King – it’s a fast food joint, but the food at Timmie’s is WAY better for you.

haha…like I replied to Shannon above…I was relying on the hubster’s recollection and their website…maybe not the best resources. ;-)

5. JackieToo says

This looks wonderful! I’ve been wanting to try something new. My nieces are always so impressed that I have homemade hot chocolate at my house. When I make this for them, I’ll leave out the “semi” part of semi-homemade. Aunties have to have their secrets, after all. :D

Thanks, Jillee.

6. KimH says

I was introduced to this mix about 25 years when I worked at a cemetery. After a funeral we would bring the hearse driving a steaming warm cup of this cocoa in the cold & rainy seasons.. We made it in larger proportions though cuz all of us workers liked it too Its definitely yummy!

7. Anna says

I love the creaminess, never used coffee whitener or powdered milk before. Not too sweet either which is what I usually find. For British people reading this, powdered sugar is icing sugar, which makes perfect sense when you think about it but I had to google it.

I did your nesquik recipe for this rather than nesquik, It worked perfectly doing a direct substitution, personally my preference would be to add some more cocoa powder to make it a bit more chocolately now I’ve tried it.

I also recommend a hand held frother, aerolatte. This is one of those gadgets that is so useful for many things, like protein shakes, lumps in gravy and this,. I filled my mug 30-40% with milk, added 4 very heaped tea spoons of the hot chocolate powder, frothed it for a few seconds so there’s no lumps. Topped with water, microwaved for just over a min, frothed again for a few seconds to get a frothy top.

Thank you.

1. […] Here is another item that we have made for our beloved teachers for their gift baskets. It was so easy to make and the teachers like the taste as well. I’ve searched the net for a homemade hot chocolate mix, and I’ve found this one done by Jill at onegoodthingbyjillee.com. […]