Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Homemade Laundry Products “Cheat Sheet”

laundry symbols I’ve had a few people lately ask me about my favorite homemade laundry products. Well, I’ve posted about a LOT of laundry products…and I like them ALL, or I wouldn’t have bothered to share them with you.

But, that being said, I do have a handful that I use on a regular basis that instead of just giving you a bunch of links for…I decided to make up a “Cheat Sheet” of sorts. To be honest, it’s something I can use as much as anyone! I’m always having to go back to the original posts to find the ingredients and amounts when it’s time to make a new batch of something. Not that that’s a BAD thing! ;-)

So here is something I worked up that you can download and print out with all my go-to laundry product “recipes” on it (if you are so inclined.)  I hope some of you find it helpful. (I know I did!)

Jillee's Laundry Chart

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

I apologize for not having much to say today. I’m feeling a bit ragged around the edges. Just need to regroup a bit after a very event-filled week. I promise to be back in full chatter soon. :-)

Be sure to check out the new One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversationmeet a new friend…discuss an idea…or just hang out!

See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

136 thoughts on “My Homemade Laundry Products “Cheat Sheet”

1. Wretha

Just curious Jillee, where do you get your spray bottles? I have purchased many of them over the years, and the majority of them are, well they are garbage, lasting a short time, I can’t tell you how many dead spray bottles I have laying around… do you have a particular one that you like best and that actually works for more than just a few weeks or months?

Thanks,
    Wretha

1. Diana

I reuse old spray bottles ie shout bottles for homemade shout or cheap ones from dollar tree. Not great there and can leak or drip but I figure they are only $1

2. Siebolt Dykstra ("Steve")

Dear Jillee
    Thank-you.
    I printed a copy. Never done anything like this before but I’m beginning to see the economic benefits of this and other ideas from you and other like minded bloggers.
    Thanks once again.
    Sincerely,
    Steve

3. Laurat99

I haven’t been able to keep the shout mixture from separating (and ruining my spray bottles), so I put it in a “drizzle” bottle I had found. A ketchup/mustard bottle would work as well.

Love, love, love the laundry products. I use the liquid detergent (dawn), oxyKleen, shout, and fabric softener.

1. Linda

Yes, there is such a thing as washing soda. You can usually find it right next to the borax in a bright yellow box. Regular baking soda is in a golden color box and also usually found close to these products as well. And it’s hair conditioner that she used in the recipe for the fabric softener. I don’t usually use fabric softener so I haven’t made this yet, but my friend does and she loves this recipe.

Thanks Jillee for the free downloadable recipes!! I’ve been meaning to do this myself and now I don’t have to!! Hope you get to feeling back to yourself soon. All us woman can so relate – the holidays can wear you out!

2. Cynthia

Washing Soda: http://www.google.com/search?q=Arm+%26+Hammer+Washing+Soda&oq=Arm+%26+Hammer+Washing+Soda&sugexp=chrome,mod=2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
        It’s found on the shelf in the laundry detergent aisle, usually on the opposite side from commercial detergent. Or, next to dishwashing liquid.

Also, I’m surprised not to see the tip on here about the balls of wool yarn. Jillee once did a post about the benefits of adding little balls of 100% wool yarn to your dryer, instead of using fabric softener. I haven’t tried it yet, but plan to soon. Sounds simple enough.

3. Kristal6571

Brenda, Walmart carries Washing Soda for $3.12 for a 4 lb box. It’s on the shelf right next to Borax in the laundry soap isle. Washing soda has a pH of 11, baking soda pH is 8. Hope this helps.

1. Hazel

With my first batch I had that problem but now I run hot hot tap water and put the baking soda in that and stirr it and let it sit for a whilet until its completely dissolved then I add the rest of the ingredients and haven’t had a problem with my spray bottles, hope it helps

4. Anne

@Brenda. WASHING soda is different from BAKING soda. They are packaged in similar looking boxes. I find it in the laundry section of my local grocery stores. (Walmart, Kroger, etc)
    -As stated in the recipe, the conditioner is HAIR conditioner.

1. Jo

Hi Beth,
      I have an HE machine and I have used most of these recipes and they work beautifully! I haven’t tried the stain remover yet (I will when I run out of my old stain remover). But just reading the ingredients, it should work just fine in an HE machine.

2. Ashlee

The recipe for laundry soap is actually recommended for HE machines. The special detergent you buy for HE machines is a “low sudsing” detergent. And that is exactly what this homemade recipe is, a “low sudsing” formula. I have been using it in my HE Front Loader for over a year now and frankly won’t ever go back. I haven’t tried the softener yet, but I currently just use white vinegar and it works well enough for me. I’ve used the stain remover & it works great, but like another mentioned earlier I also had problems with it separating. I’ll have to give the suggestion of the hot water a try on my next batch. I broke down & bought Shout recently & hated spending that money.

5. Renea

Thanks Jillee for the cheat sheet. I make all these recipes and will love having them all in one place. Even made some of these things for my daughter-in-law for Christmas as this is what she wanted. Thank you for all your research and for sharing everything you learn.

6. Hazel

Thank you soooo much Jillee, I love the chart, it’s funny because this is how I found you months and months ago, I was seeking ways to save money to stretch our tight budget and you have made such a change in our lives, I honestly don’t know how I ever lived without you, lol, sounds funny but honestly true now I make my own cleaning supplies and my house has never been so clean, love your convenient crafts and homemade remedies, it’s important to reduce our carbon footprint on this world, healthier for everyone to go back to natures non chemical ways, thank you Jillee for being so inspiring

1. CTY

Hazel– my house is also the cleanest its ever been! No doubt going green is the way to be. For me though, if going green costs more green ($$$), then I don’t see the point. A few cents is ok but I can’t stand companies that make huge profits off the movement. In the US these companies get substantial financial incentives from the gov’t for their going green efforts so there is no reason for the high prices. For years, I refused to buy the harsh chemicals– sure we sacrificed a sparkling clean house– but it was orderly with the kitchen and bath were sanitized regularly. As the kids grew up we were the healthiest family I knew. Our motto:
      Clean enough to be healthy– Dirty enough to be happy.

1. Hazel

LoL, I love your motto, I agree with you 100% it doesn’t make seance for all natural store bought products to be so expensive (I’ve never bought any) thanks to what I’ve learned here is the magic of white vinegar and baking soda I buy the gallon and a half jug from smart n final for under $4 and am set for 2 months :) it cleans everything

7. Brenda

Thank you for the cheat sheet, this will come in really handy. I use your liquid detergent with really good results! Does a great job with natural ingredients and saves a ton of money. I wrote the ingredients right on the bottle with a permanent marker so I don’t have to look up the instructions every time I make it.

8. Ginger

Thank you, Jillee, for the lovely chart. Get some rest & relax. You care so much about others, but you need to give yourself that same kind of love & attention.

9. mandy

What a handy reference! I maintain a recipe section in my recipe box for cleaning solutions. Several of yours are tucked in there and used frequently already. Look forward to adding a few more from this sheet. I’ve mixed up and gifted with the recipe all cutely attached. I can see this sheet having some wonderful potential with that idea. Thanks again for your work.

10. Ingrid

Unrelated, sorry–but Jillee, I just wanted to say that I recently came across your postings and *love* them (and of course, subscribed immediately!), that your background, along with the fact that you are so open with sharing it, is amazing and inspiring, and lastly, I hope you get that time to regroup and relax. Thank you! : )

11. savannagal

I’m not sure I how I came upon your blog, but I’m glad I did. I enjoy reading your tips. I tried your armpit stain remover on 3 tops I had designated for rags and was amazed at the results. All 3 are back in my closet and ready to be worn again. I only wish I hadn’t already cut up my husbands dress shirts and tossed them in the trash a few days prior. Thanks much for all the great tips. Happy holidays!

12. Susan

This is an awesome cheat sheet! Thanks Jillee! Hazel pretty much said my sentiments exactly :) your a household name around here. My son the other day asked if I got that idea from my friend, Jillee. I chuckled and said yes. He is probably now waiting for you to come over for coffee some day. ;) (Which you are more than welcome to the next time your in the San Jose, CA area.) So thank you for creativity, your inspirations, your dedication in trying things over and over to make sure they will turn out right before you pass them on to us. You have a great sense of humor, that you bless us with each day. I look forward to your emails every morning, but everyone needs a vacation, and you deserve one !! I can’t believe you were in the ER the other day, you served dinner, and we still received emails on Christmas. Are you crazy?? Or just Superwoman? Thanks for everything you do we really do appreciate it.

1. Linda

My daughter will walk by me while I’m on the computer and jokingly say, “Are you stalking Jillee again?!” She also calls her “my new best friend!” And I so agree with your comments – we too appreciate and look forward to Jillee’s One Good Thing everyday!!! Thanks Jillee!!!!

13. Heather

I LOVE that you posted this. I’ve been copy and pasting these recipies as my own cheat sheet for a while, but yours is so much nicer! Thanks for this website… It is so helpful!!!

14. Michelle

I have battled with poor quality spray bottles for years and I have finally found a solution. Head to a trade store and purchase the spray bottles that the trades (spray painters, mechanics etc) use. They cost less than anything in the supermarket, and because they are intended for use with oils etc they are nearly indestructible!

15. Heather

Jillee~ THANK YOU! After we are done using this jug of liquid store purchased laundry soap, we are going to make our own “jillee” liquid version. My husband, a stay at home dad, doesn’t know that yet, but he’ll be appreciative of a simple recipe and (as long as I keep couponing) never running out in the middle of doing the mounds of laundry he does each week. God bless you & I hope you are feeling better soon.

16. Regan

Hey Jillee, Thank you so much for this cheat sheet! I plan on printing this out and framing it for my laundry room. I also just wanted to say thanks for this blog. I love the every day posting but have been afraid you would burn out if you keep it up forever. If you need to take a day or two off we will still be here loving you. =)

17. Rissa

I made my first Homemade Laundry Soap for Christmas presents and kept a jar for myself. After washing a quilt for the first time with my lovely powder…. oooolalala, does it smell so nice. Thank you so much Jillee for the recipe. I now have a new favorite.

18. WNCmountaingirl

I was just wondering what size container for the oxy stuff – I get it at dollar tree and its a small container but I have seen a few different sizes at grocery store… (maybe list the ounces) thanks

19. Deb

I was also wondering what size of containers of oxygen bleach are used in the powered laundry detergent recipe? Thanks, I plan on printing & laminating this cheat sheet for me and my daughters.

1. Susan

Amanda, Dawn is recommended because it is the best at grease cutting AND is gentle. It get used on wildlife when they get into oil spills…does a great cleanup job.

I’d think that any detergent that has grease cutting qualities would work.

I’d love to get to England…SOMEDAY! Greetings from snowy northern Colorado.

20. Christine

This is so AWESOME! thanks Jillee :) I’ve printed out some of your other helpful sheets and have them taped to the inside of my cupboards! :)
    I totally get not being super talkative lol! After the Christmas rush and business and people everywhere, it’s good to re-group get back onto my regular schedule and eating habits again! Take care of yourself, get some rest and I look forward to your usually chatty self <3

21. Kathy

Thank you so much for the cheat sheet!!! This make it so much easier to have on hand for the recipes. Just finished printing it and putting it in a picture frame. Hanging it in the laundry room… as soon as I can find where my husband put the hammer. LOL

22. CTY

Thank you so much for all your cleaning tips and recipes. My house sparkles for the first time ever. Such a cute reference sheet. Will be framed and placed in the laundry room. This is the first time I ever had a laundry room, it was always just part of the basement before. I am also placing in the room two other props (seen on pinterest) a lost sock department and the lyrics:
    You got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run

23. Stephanie

Thanks so much for this Jillee! I swear I was trying to navigate your site last night trying to find the “home-made oxygen bleach” recipe. I found so much useful information that I am completely grateful for! For the past year I had been buying laundry detergent because I HATED grating soap… from reading your site and from the great comments from your amazing followers I have a renewed love for diy! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Ps… I can’t wait to print out the cheat sheet and plaster it all over my laundry area! <3

24. Judy

Has anyone experienced fading colors with this laundry detergent? I’ve never used oxygen bleach before, and wonder if that is the culprit – or – maybe out clothes are so old they need to be replaced?

25. Suzy

I was wondering if you could list the exact amounts, as in cups or ounces in the recipes instead of 1 box or 2 containers as I have bought the ingredients at an Amish store in bulk much cheaper than in the grocery store in boxes or containers and not sure how much is in a box or container

1. Kathy

Hi Suzy,
      The Borax is a 4 pound 12 ounces box or 76 ounces.
      Super Washing Soda is a 3 pounds 7 ounces box or 55 ounces.
      The Sun brand oxygen bleach is a 3 pounds 8 ounces or 56 oz. container.
      The Baking Soda is a 4 pound box or 64 ounces.
      Hope that helps. Kathy

26. Anne

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Now I don’t have to try to do this on my own! Now we need more of your cleaning recipes on another cheat sheet! I plan to give these recipes and the “ingredients” to my daughter when she moves out. I also think this would make a great graduation or wedding present!

27. Selene

Thank you.
    Cheat sheet?
    oh no, this is a gift for my sister.
    Printed out on a pretty piece of card stock, laminated
    and given in a gift bag with the ingredients included.
    Plus the containers for each recipe.,
    again, thank you

28. Deebi27

I am passing this onto to each of my children who are out on their own! It will help save them $ and we can all do that! Sure hope you are feeling better soon…not for us, but your well being!

29. Juliana

Dear Jillee,

Thank you so much for the recipes!

I live in Brazil and have some difficulties with your language, so forgive me the mistakes.

I would like to ask you about a printable with your homemade cleaners recipes, too. It would be a delicious New Year gift for your readers! I had save the recipes from your blog, but the printable is much more pretty than my archives ;)

Happy 2013!!

Juliana

1. Linda

I couldn’t help but laugh and think how spoiled we all are and now asking Jillee for more!! But isn’t it great Jillee to be so appreciated. We really do love your DIY cleaning products and thank you for all your research and time that you put into this blog. My daughter (teen) are not only using your cleaning products, but washing our face with oil and loving the results!! Thanks so much for all you do….and take some time off girlfriend!!! We all need rest every once in awhile!

1. Linda

I should re-read my comments before pushing “submit”!!!! That should read, “My daughter (teen) and I are not only using your cleaning products, but washing our face with oil and loving the results!!” I should never type before coffee!!!!

1. Juliana

So spoiled, thats is true ! ;)

I did save the recipes, and tried to organize it, but the printable is very, very better.

Here in Brazil we say: “if you offer your hand, she/he wants your arm too”. It’s me!

30. Susan

Thanks Jillee..I love the idea others have of framing it for the laundry room. I have all your other printables on the inside of my cabinets, but framing them is a great idea also for Kitchen Art that is Useful.

31. Patti

Jillee get some rest, you deserve it! Thank You for all that you do! I have saved a good amount of money and learned so many wonderful things along the way! I look forward to your daily post and so thankful that I found you! Just wanted to let you know that you mean a lot to many of us, feel better soon! Many Blessings for the New Year!