Sock It To Your Energy Bill! Make Your Own Draft Stopper!

Draft Stopper Did you know….According to the U.S. Department of Energy, drafts can waste 5% to 30% of your energy use!?

That’s a LOT of $$$ over the course of a winter!

I’m pretty sure I’m losing even MORE than that in my home office which has both an inside door and a door that goes to the outside.

When I moved in I noticed a wicked draft coming in under the door to the outside. I shudder to think how much money has gone out the window (or under the door) from that one drafty door!

But no more! I now I have a weapon in my fight against high energy bills and cold feet! Meet my draft dodger! (Also known as a door sock, door snake, draft stopper, draft blocker, door draft guard…you get the idea…IT STOPS DRAFTS!)

This DIY door sock is actually MADE from socks and I’m going to show you how you can easily make one yourself!

I found these super soft and snuggly socks at Costco last week and the minute I saw them I knew exactly what I was going to make with them. I’ve been thinking about making one of these for awhile. The small quilt I had rolled up against the door just wasn’t cutting it now that we’re into the SERIOUSLY cold part of the winter.

Draft Stopper

What you will need:

• 2 to 3 socks (depending on how long they are. I used 3.)
  • quilt batting or polyester fiberfill (I used the stuffing from an old pillow)
  • popcorn kernels (you could also use dried beans, peas)

Starting with the popcorn kernels, alternate adding layers of the two materials. I used a small plastic cup with the bottom cut out to facilitate pouring the corn in (but I still managed to get it all over the floor!)

I think each layer of corn kernels ended up being approximately 1 cup, but I didn’t measure. Each layer of “stuffing” was comprised of a couple of big handfuls of the stuff. There is no precise measuring here…you just want about a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture.

The popcorn is used for weight and won’t go rancid like some other dried goods. The batting/stuffing helps give the sock some shape and insulates against the cold air. Pack each tube all the way to the end, with the final layer being the stuffing.

Repeat with 2nd (and 3rd?) sock(s). Now attach the sock sections to each other by simply overlapping the open end of one sock over the closed end of another. Think of it as “putting a sock on” your sock! When the sock sections are fitted snugly together, a few hand sewn stitches will keep it all in place. Or you could even use some fabric glue if you are allergic to needle and thread. :-)

Snake Draft Stopper

Snake Draft Stopper

Now go put your door sock in place and be amazed at how well it works! Not a puff of air coming in under my office door now!

Not sure if you NEED a door sock? To test an area, simply hold the palm of your hand up against a door or window. If you feel cold air coming through, warm air is escaping. This simple fix could save you hundreds on your heating bill this year!

Snake Draft Stopper

Be sure to check out the new One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversationmeet a new friend…discuss an idea…or just hang out!

See ya there!

Share on Facebook165Tweet about this on Twitter18Pin on Pinterest13,361Google+5

Comments

1. Darlene says

I love this idea and we do have a few drafty doors… Last year i made a denim one for the doggie door but i like this idea better will be making one today with all those orphaned socks floating around in the laundry room! Thanks Jillee, you and your blog are the best good thing!!

I love your idea to use mismatched socks! I also have a pillow that my kids destroyed that I was keeping just to reuse the stuffing which means I can make these for free!!! My house was built in 1940 so drafty would be an understatement :-)

2. Kristi Myers says

ANOTHER – Good Thing By Jillee! Our house is pretty old and has two original doors that are really nice to look at, but outside air does creep in. I can make these!! Saw some cute fuzzy socks at the dollar store I could use. Thanks Jillee. God Bless You!

When I have made this in the past I stuffed it with dryer lint and sand. You couldn’t use sand with socks though, it might come out. The dryer lint becomes super compact. I also used dryer lint to stuff some Christmas ornaments for that firm, smooth look.

4. Landon says

This idea is really cute. May I just point out one thing about drafty doors? More to the point, I’m talking about exterior doors that are not covered by a storm door. If an exterior door is drafty the weather stripping needs to be replaced. Most especially, those doors that do not have a storm door. If drafts can come through those doors a blowing rain can too. That will damage your floor coverings & can rot the subfloor beneath them. If those doors do not leak when it rains this adorable draft stopper is a good solution.

5. Trish says

Wow…what a great idea!! I love all those cute, fuzzy socks in the stores now but I don’t like wearing them! I think I need to do this. Thanks for sharing! Blessings. :)

• Ayshela says

some people are very texture sensitive. my son loves fuzzy socks, but his best friend can’t stand them. the difference in texture felt like walking on pebbles, to him.

6. Tami T says

Thank you so much for the instructions! This looks SO easy! Something I’m definitely going to make right after Christmas! Love your blog!
    Tami

Jillee ~
    I must make one of these for my front door, especially since the builders thought it was a good idea to put a heat vent just inches away from it. (What were they thinking?!) I hadn’t thought to stuff socks for this project! Great idea!
    Thanks!
    Jan

8. renate parks says

My interior door that leads into the garage has a very big draft. It opens out into the garage, so a draft dodger on the inside of the door wouldn’t work very well. Any suggestions for one to go on the outside of the door that swings open into the garage? There is a step there, so it is not level with the floor, so it would have to attach to the door somehow. Also, a material that isn’t food, and wouldn’t be attractive to dogs would be good. My dog chewed the last one that I filled with raw rice!

• CTY says

We put a storm door inside the garage– strange I know, but in the warmer weather we can get a breeze from the garage without letting insects in.