How to Freeze Eggs, Milk and Other Unexpected Foods

One Used Egg

Have more eggs than you can use? How about milk, butter, or bananas? Freeze them! Here are some guidelines to help you make the most out of your grocery budget by freezing these and other unexpected foods.

Whole Eggs

Mix the yolks and egg whites together. Then, pour the egg mixture into an ice cube tray, and freeze.

Two cubes is the equivalent of one whole egg.

Egg Yolks

To prevent thickening, stir in half a teaspoon of salt (or one and a half tablespoons of sugar, if the eggs will be used in desserts) for every one cup of yolks. Then, pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.

One cube is the equivalent of two egg yolks.

Egg Whites

No special prep is required. Just pour the whites into an ice cube tray, and freeze.
One cube is the equivalent of one egg white.

More Cube Equivalents

2 cubes = 1/4 cup
4 cubes = 1/2 cup
6 cubes = 3/4 cup
8 cubes =1 cup

Using Frozen Eggs

Allow eggs to thaw in the refrigerator for a day before using.
Eggs will keep in the freezer for up to a year.

milk

Milk
Store in its original container, but pour out enough milk to allow for expansion – approximately a cup per gallon of milk. Thaw in the refrigerator, and shake well before using.

butter

Butter
Store in its original container. Thaw in the refrigerator to use.

bananas

Bananas
Freeze in peel. Then, simply thaw and peel to use in smoothies and breads. Note: the peel will turn black, but that won’t effect the quality of the banana at all.

celery

Celery
Wash and chop to desired size. Then, flash freeze on a tray, and transfer to a freezer bag or another air-tight container. To use: add the frozen celery directly to soups or other heated dishes.

tomatoes

Tomatoes
Wash thoroughly. Then, freeze whole and unpeeled on a tray. Transfer to freezer bags once fully frozen.

herbs

Fresh Herbs
Chop finely. Then, place in an ice cube tray along with a small amount of water. To use: simply drop frozen cubes directly into heated dishes.

nuts

Nuts

Freeze (either in shell or shelled) in a freezer bag or another air-tight container.

squash

Zucchini and Other Squash
Wash and chop to desired size. Then, blanch for three minutes; allow to cool; and freeze in an air-tight container.

apples

Apples
Freeze whole or chopped, peeled or unpeeled.

Share on Facebook258Tweet about this on Twitter21Pin on Pinterest5,593Google+0

Comments

1. Susie E says

Trying to peel the frozen banana was messy and painful when my arthritis flares. .I have better luck freezing bananas by peeling, slicing and flash freezing the slices. Then I transfer the frozen slices to a freezer bag. It is much easier to process smaller lumps of frozen banana in my recipes.

For bananas I’ve always peeled, then wrap in wax paper (if freezing multiple bananas) and placing in a freezer bag. Then when I need one for a smoothie I can just remove one from the bag and use.

Thanks Jillee for all the awesome advice, love your blog!

3. Julie says

Great tips, Jillee! I wanted to comment on the frozen milk. Daddy’s first job as a teen was being a milk man back in the day when they delivered fresh milk daily. He learned the trick of freezing milk way back then, but here is a tip you may not know. Whether the milk is passed it’s expiration date in the fridge, or thawed after being frozen you can always tell if the milk is good by giving it a good shake. Good milk will bubble up on top after shaking. Bad milk will not. Ever smell the milk to see if it was sour & wish you hadn’t? Now you don’t have to. :)

4. Cristi says

I freeze milk in 2 cup portions in ziplock bags lying flat. They take up less space in the freezer and also thaw way faster. Once thawed, pour into a glass container to dispense :)

5. Catherine's not naturally crafty says

What not to freeze: neufchatel or cream cheese. Found that out the hard way. The taste is perfectly fine but the texture suffers. Well, it can be frozen and if you will use in a blended or baked good where the texture isn’t an issue.

6. Cynthia says

Thanks so much for all these tips, Jillee! I have been wondering about freezing milk for awhile now. Sometimes my grocery store runs half & half or heavy cream on manager’s special and you hate to pass it up, but it’s difficult to use it up before it expires.
    Also, with the fresh herbs…what a great idea! My family has been freezing Parsley for years, for use in our meatballs (we’ve frozen it chopped, and in the bunch still on the stem. Freezing actually makes it a breeze to chop!) But when I have tried to freeze mint, it always turns this ugly brown color and doesn’t taste quite right. Now, I know how to freeze it! Thanks a bunch!

7. cty says

Good to know.
    Anyone know of anyway to freeze fresh basil? Every time I do, with water or without it turns black. I make pesto but sometimes I just want the whole leaf.

Frozen apples can easily be turned into applesauce. Heat frozen whole or diced apples over low heat with a little water. VERY little water. I chop washed UNpeeled, UNcored apples into 1/2′s or 1/4′s and freeze them in zip top bags. When i’m ready to make apple sause I put frozen apples in a heavy bottom pan with 1/8 c. of water. I allow it to simmer or low uncovered until it reaches the the desired consistency. Run it through the food mill to removed seeds and skins. Voila, Apple sauce!

Same with tomatoes!

Yogurt! I freeze my homemade yogurt too!! I thaw it in the fridge and it’s GREAT!

Jillee, I adapted your crockpot recipe and make it in small batches. I bloged about it on the Huffington Post. Here’s the link!

On the topic of yogurt, whenever I have a fresh made batch I take out 2-3 tablespoons and freeze it right away. That way if the kids eat the last of it i’m not stuck without starter for my next batch.

10. Brenda says

Cty….Chop fresh basil and put in ice cube tray, fill with olive oil …after frozen, store them in freezer bags……hope this helps..