How to Freeze Eggs, Milk and Other Unexpected Foods

One Used Egg

Have more eggs than you can use? How about milk, butter, or bananas? Freeze them! Here are some guidelines to help you make the most out of your grocery budget by freezing these and other unexpected foods.

Whole Eggs

Mix the yolks and egg whites together. Then, pour the egg mixture into an ice cube tray, and freeze.

Two cubes is the equivalent of one whole egg.

Egg Yolks

To prevent thickening, stir in half a teaspoon of salt (or one and a half tablespoons of sugar, if the eggs will be used in desserts) for every one cup of yolks. Then, pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.

One cube is the equivalent of two egg yolks.

Egg Whites

No special prep is required. Just pour the whites into an ice cube tray, and freeze.
One cube is the equivalent of one egg white.

More Cube Equivalents

2 cubes = 1/4 cup
4 cubes = 1/2 cup
6 cubes = 3/4 cup
8 cubes =1 cup

Using Frozen Eggs

Allow eggs to thaw in the refrigerator for a day before using.
Eggs will keep in the freezer for up to a year.

milk

Milk
Store in its original container, but pour out enough milk to allow for expansion – approximately a cup per gallon of milk. Thaw in the refrigerator, and shake well before using.

butter

Butter
Store in its original container. Thaw in the refrigerator to use.

bananas

Bananas
Freeze in peel. Then, simply thaw and peel to use in smoothies and breads. Note: the peel will turn black, but that won’t effect the quality of the banana at all.

celery

Celery
Wash and chop to desired size. Then, flash freeze on a tray, and transfer to a freezer bag or another air-tight container. To use: add the frozen celery directly to soups or other heated dishes.

tomatoes

Tomatoes
Wash thoroughly. Then, freeze whole and unpeeled on a tray. Transfer to freezer bags once fully frozen.

herbs

Fresh Herbs
Chop finely. Then, place in an ice cube tray along with a small amount of water. To use: simply drop frozen cubes directly into heated dishes.

nuts

Nuts

Freeze (either in shell or shelled) in a freezer bag or another air-tight container.

squash

Zucchini and Other Squash
Wash and chop to desired size. Then, blanch for three minutes; allow to cool; and freeze in an air-tight container.

apples

Apples
Freeze whole or chopped, peeled or unpeeled.

Share on Facebook256Tweet about this on Twitter21Pin on Pinterest5039Google+0

Comments

1. Susie E says

Trying to peel the frozen banana was messy and painful when my arthritis flares. .I have better luck freezing bananas by peeling, slicing and flash freezing the slices. Then I transfer the frozen slices to a freezer bag. It is much easier to process smaller lumps of frozen banana in my recipes.

For bananas I’ve always peeled, then wrap in wax paper (if freezing multiple bananas) and placing in a freezer bag. Then when I need one for a smoothie I can just remove one from the bag and use.

Thanks Jillee for all the awesome advice, love your blog!

3. Julie says

Great tips, Jillee! I wanted to comment on the frozen milk. Daddy’s first job as a teen was being a milk man back in the day when they delivered fresh milk daily. He learned the trick of freezing milk way back then, but here is a tip you may not know. Whether the milk is passed it’s expiration date in the fridge, or thawed after being frozen you can always tell if the milk is good by giving it a good shake. Good milk will bubble up on top after shaking. Bad milk will not. Ever smell the milk to see if it was sour & wish you hadn’t? Now you don’t have to. :)

• Billie Garcia says

I have found that when I am not sure if my milk is good or not and I smell it in the plastic bottle, it can smell sour, BUT if it is poured into a cup/whatever it does not smell -of course, providing it is still good. Have had very good results!

• allyB says

Hi Rose,

It’s simple really. Example: Say that today’s date is 4/22 and the expiration (use by) date on the milk is 4/24. You still have 3 days til it expires. Freeze it and when you take it out and it thaws completely you will still have those 3 days. If it is a “Sell By” date you would still have a couple days beyond that. (around 5 days)
        I work in a professional kitchen and this is the method we use as per food safety guidelines.

4. Cristi says

I freeze milk in 2 cup portions in ziplock bags lying flat. They take up less space in the freezer and also thaw way faster. Once thawed, pour into a glass container to dispense :)

5. Catherine's not naturally crafty says

What not to freeze: neufchatel or cream cheese. Found that out the hard way. The taste is perfectly fine but the texture suffers. Well, it can be frozen and if you will use in a blended or baked good where the texture isn’t an issue.

6. Cynthia says

Thanks so much for all these tips, Jillee! I have been wondering about freezing milk for awhile now. Sometimes my grocery store runs half & half or heavy cream on manager’s special and you hate to pass it up, but it’s difficult to use it up before it expires.
    Also, with the fresh herbs…what a great idea! My family has been freezing Parsley for years, for use in our meatballs (we’ve frozen it chopped, and in the bunch still on the stem. Freezing actually makes it a breeze to chop!) But when I have tried to freeze mint, it always turns this ugly brown color and doesn’t taste quite right. Now, I know how to freeze it! Thanks a bunch!

Frozen apples can easily be turned into applesauce. Heat frozen whole or diced apples over low heat with a little water. VERY little water. I chop washed UNpeeled, UNcored apples into 1/2′s or 1/4′s and freeze them in zip top bags. When i’m ready to make apple sause I put frozen apples in a heavy bottom pan with 1/8 c. of water. I allow it to simmer or low uncovered until it reaches the the desired consistency. Run it through the food mill to removed seeds and skins. Voila, Apple sauce!

Same with tomatoes!

Yogurt! I freeze my homemade yogurt too!! I thaw it in the fridge and it’s GREAT!

Jillee, I adapted your crockpot recipe and make it in small batches. I bloged about it on the Huffington Post. Here’s the link!

On the topic of yogurt, whenever I have a fresh made batch I take out 2-3 tablespoons and freeze it right away. That way if the kids eat the last of it i’m not stuck without starter for my next batch.

9. Toni M. says

I freeze milk in gallon containers a lot. I never take milk out and they freeze just fine. The sides expand though, so I leave a little room around them when I put them in the freezer to account for that. They also take a long time to defrost in the fridge, so if I need to use it within a day or two, I let it sit on the counter for a few hours as a head start.

10. Simply Joyful says

FOR FREEZING MILK:
    Is this only for whole milk?
    Can I freeze Skim milk ?
    How about Cream?
    Or coffee creamer like Coffeemate?
    Anyone have an answers or experiances for me?
    Thanks !

• Toni M. says

You can freeze any type milk. Just be sure to let it defrost completely otherwise the taste can be a bit off. After they are completely defrosted, be sure to give them a good shake to remix them. I don’t know about cream but I assume it isn’t any different than milk. For coffeemate, I take the whole bottle and stick it in the freezer. When I want creamer, I take it out and defrost it in the fridge. They freeze very well.

11. Jessica says

I freeze bananas peeled and mashed flat in a quart ziplock bag. Put 3 or 4 in each bag and it’s exactly what you need for most recipes.

Also, I’ve washed tomatoes and cut the stem out before freezing. When you’re ready to use them, boil some water and give them a dip. They are not too hot to handle immediately and the skins will pinch right off. It is SO MUCH EASIER to peel them frozen than when they are fresh. Then I throw them in the crockpot all day for sauce or chop them for use in other recipes. :)

12. Julie S. says

I love fresh fruit but sometimes I don’t get a chance to eat all of it before it starts to go bad. So, I started putting it in the freezer in small snack size zipper baggies. That way I can pull out ingredients for smoothies in perfect sizes whenever I want. I’ve done pineapple, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and mangos. So far its worked out wonderfully!

13. Sandtruck says

Eggs…I have tried and I am just not happy with them once frozen. the whites get too watery and the yolks get clumpy, nothing I want to eat. They don’t mix up well for baked goods and not appetizing for scrambled. Just don’t like it, do all the other things you mentioned though.

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one
    and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam feedback?
    If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

15. Lori Taff says

My experience on freezing milk: Leave to thaw on counter for 24 hours (we live in a 4 seasons climate, so in summer time it will be thawed earlier). After all ice crystals/chunks are gone, shake real well and refrigerate. When I tried thawing in fridge, it took 4-5 days. We never have enough fridge space so we’d sneak some out. But it is NOT good to sneak milk before thawed. It’s watery and then the rest isn’t right. This has worked for us for years to leave on counter.

I chop apples and freeze in Tupperware in single serving sizes so as to make mini pies or tarts or a healthy snack of apples chopped with vanilla yogurt and cinnamon – tastes like pie without the crust! Top with crushed ginger cookies or streusel.

17. Michele says

I buy cranberries in bulk during the fall and winter, and freeze them for year-round use. When I buy celery, once it starts going limp, I freeze it until I’m ready to make chicken stock (which freezes wonderfully). Any herbs I buy fresh go into the freezer, as does shredded cheese. All my soup leftovers go into the freezer for one of those “in a rush, just dump something in the crock-pot” days.

18. Em says

How long can you keep milk frozen? How long does the thawed milk keep for in the fridge? For example if I buy milk 1 day before it expires and freeze it, when thawed will I have only a few days before it turns bad?

19. Sharon H says

I freeze my over-ripe bananas in the peel, in a zip-lock bag. I prefer to let them thaw, because they’re easier to ‘milk’ out of the skin, but so many times I need it at the last minute. I cut the ends off, then run cool water over them to hasten the thawing process. Sometimes I end up using a paring knife to get all the strings off. I have even been known to put them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds at a time to speed thaw.

As for milk, I always pour a small amount into a glass or cup to test for sourness because smelling the carton can be misleading. The milk around the opening can smell ‘off’ before the milk is bad. However, if it’s already soured use it for banana bread or something else requiring sour, or even buttermilk. If you can’t use it right then, measure it according to your recipe, label and freeze…along side your bananas!

I also buy shred cheese in large bags and throw those directly into the freezer. Same goes for parmesan wedges…it microplanes easily from a frozen state. Be sure to save the rind in the freezer, too, and add to soups.

I have been wondering about freezing eggs forever! It’s one of those things I always intend to investigate, but immediately forget. I had NO idea you could freeze a tomato like that. Does it affect the flavor, i.e., will the tomato have that fridge flavor?

21. Sherri says

I freeze buttermilk in 1 cup and 1/2 cup amounts since those are sizes I use for various recipes. I let it thaw in the refrigerator, shake well then put it in what I’m making. We haven’t noticed any change in the flavor. I’ve gotten buttermilk that was about to expire on sale and I put it away like this. I don’t have to throw out spoiled buttermilk anymore (even thought my husband has asked how you know if buttermilk is spoiled anyway).

22. Michele Santos says

To see if milk is sour, I was taught to put a little on a soup spoon and then gently heat it up over a live flame ex.: gas burner on gas stove. If it splits, then it’s sour, if it doesn’t it can be used.

23. Alison says

I recently read about and tried freezing cloves of pealed garlic. Put a couple in a tiny plastic container or ice cube trays and fill with olive oil. Freeze. You can chop it all at once (even the frozen oil!) and throw it in the pan. Or thaw and use it in a food processor.