It amazes me how sometimes the coolest ideas are the most obvious ones! I am one of those people who HAS to have hand soap next to the sink. Kitchen AND bathroom. I’ve tried to break myself of the habit a couple of different times….but I just can’t do it. I’ve even tried replacing it with bar soap which is considerably cheaper, with less-packaging, but it just doesn’t do it for me. I have switched to the foaming type soap however. It seems to last longer and I actually like it better. Feels more “soapy”. :-)
Of course the next step for me was figuring out how to make my OWN version which is now the only thing we use. And because all that hand-washing can contribute to dry skin, especially during the winter, I also added some fractionated coconut oil for extra moisturizing AND some essential oils to give it an antibacterial boost.
DIY Antibacterial Foaming Hand Wash
What you’ll need:
- 1 empty foaming soap container (I repurposed one from the grocery store, but you can order “fancy” ones online…like THIS ONE on Amazon.)
- 2 tablespoons unscented castile soap (I used Dr. Bronner’s)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons fractionated coconut oil (I used about 4 pumps from my Spark Natural bottle of FCO)
- 10 – 15 drops essential oils of choice (I used Spark Naturals Shield Protective Blend)
Directions: 1. Pour castile soap and fractionated coconut oil into bottle.
2. Add essential oils.
3. Fill the rest of the way with water, leaving room for the foaming pump.
4. Screw on the pump top and shake gently.
To use: Pump desired amount into hands and wash with warm water.
I used Shield because it’s a great protective blend based on the “Thieves Oil” recipe of ancient times.
Today’s 10-second history lesson (don’t worry, there won’t be a test):
Legend has it that when the bubonic plague was running rampant through Europe and Asia during the 15th century, four thieves went around robbing the infectious dead bodies of all their possessions. To protect themselves from the plague, they would rub a blend of oils, herbs and spices on their hands, ears, and temples and their “secret recipe” became known as “Thieves Oil.
Lesson concluded. :-)
The addition of the fractionated coconut oil makes the foaming soap much less drying to my hands and the essential oils give me much more peace of mind!
As always….use coupon code “JILLEE” to receive 10% off any Spark Naturals order!