It feels as though there are at least a million different ways to use essential oils. For someone who’s new to essential oils, the amount of different uses can be intimidating, and even overwhelming! But I don’t want anyone to feel like there’s too much to know or learn when it comes to essential oils. These oils can do so much good for you and your loved ones! So I thought I’d put together a “greatest hits” of sorts, listing all of my favorite and most frequent uses for essential oils.
Many of the uses listed in this post have been addressed before here on the blog, whether as a singular project or as part of a larger discussion. There are a lot of links in here, ready to whisk you away to every corner of my blog, so I hope you have fun exploring! And I hope that even experienced essential oil users will find something new and interesting to try out. :-)
Curious about what brand of essential oils I recommend and why? Scroll to the end of the post for answers to a few of the frequently asked questions I receive about essential oils.
70 Uses for Essential Oils
1. Make some extra money by simply spreading the word about essential oils!
Read More: How to Make Essential Oils “Work” for You
3. Make a simple blend of essential oils to relieve the pain of menstrual cramps.
Read More: Essential Oil Relief for Menstrual Cramps
4. Keep carpets smelling fresh by mixing 12 drops of lavender oil into an ounce of baking soda. Sprinkle the mixture on your carpets, let it sit for half an hour, then vacuum.
5. Make a homemade cleaning spray to keep your yoga mat clean and free of germs and bacteria.
Read More: Make Your Own Antibacterial Yoga Mat Spray
6. Keep your bathroom smelling fresh by placing a drop of lavender oil on the inside of your toilet paper tube. The scent will be released each time the toilet paper is used.
7. Diffuse essential oil blends to fill your home with the scents of the season.
8. Help relax a clenched jaw by swiping a bit of lavender oil along your jawline.
9. Make an all-purpose healing salve to heal minor cuts and bruises, scrapes, bug bites, and sunburns.
10. Cure nausea by massaging a drop of ginger oil onto your tummy or the bottoms of your feet.
11. Remove stubborn stains from plastic cutting boards.
12. Even silk flowers can smell lovely! Mix 5-10 drops of your favorite floral essential oil into a cup of water, and spray the scented water onto fake flowers and plants.
13. Keep the toilet bowl clean and fresh between cleanings with homemade fizzy “toilet bombs.”
Read More: Fizzy “Toilet Freshener Bombs”
14. Add a drop of your favorite essential oil to the envelope when sending a letter or card. The recipient will love the little personal touch!
15. Steam clean the inside of the microwave.
Read More: A Safe & Simple Way to Clean Your Microwave
16. The scent of peppermint essential oil can help you stay alert. It’s a great thing to have handy on long drives!
17. Clean and freshen your mattress with baking soda and lavender essential oil.
Read More: How to Clean and Freshen Your Mattress
18. When you replace your furnace filter with a new one, drop a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto the new filter to spread the scent around your house.
19. Cut through greasy, oily messes with a homemade citrus degreasing spray.
Read More: Homemade Citrus Degreaser
20. A few drops of essential oil can help revitalize candles that don’t seem to be creating much of a scent.
21. Get shiny, frizz-free hair with a homemade hair serum.
Read More: Homemade Serum for Silky Soft Hair
22. Repel spiders with a cotton ball saturated with peppermint oil. Place the cotton ball in corners or crevices where spiders congregate.
23. Use a jar, a few cotton balls, and essential oils to relieve sinus congestion.
24. Kill odors and keep shoes smelling fresh by putting a drop of lavender oil inside each shoe.
25. Relieve allergy symptoms of all sorts with a blend of lemon, lavender, and peppermint essential oils.
Read More: Natural Relief for Allergies
26. Disinfect sponges with a few drops of lemon oil in between uses.
27. Relieve or prevent car sickness and motion sickness.
Read More: Natural Remedies for Car Sickness
28. No lemons to zest? Replace the zest of 1 lemon in a recipe with 8 drops of lemon oil.
29. Use essential oils to increase your focus and and feel more grounded and productive.
Read More: Treating Your Child’s ADHD… Naturally
30. Fill a bowl full of cold water and add 2-3 drops of lemon oil to create a simple and effective produce wash. Soak your produce, swish it around a bit, then rinse with clean, cold water.
31. Relieve headache pain with a special blend of essential oils.
Read More: Essential Oil Headache Relief Blend
32. Rub a drop or two of lemon oil into your hands for a quick substitute for hand sanitizer.
33. Make a bath oil with eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils for soft skin.
34. If you’re out of soap and in a bind, lavender oil is an easy substitute. Your skin will be clean and moisturized, and you’ll smell great!
35. Make your own shaving cream or shaving gel.
Read More: Make Your Own Shaving Cream or Gel
36. Extract splinters more easily by putting one or two drops of lavender oil onto the splinter.
37. Repel mosquitos and other outdoor pests by wearing a citronella oil-infused bracelet.
Read More: Make Your Own Mosquito Repellent Bracelet
38. Saturate a cotton ball with a few drops of lemon and lavender oils and place it in the bag or canister of your vacuum to spread a fresh clean scent around the house.
Read More: How to Heal a Cold Sore Naturally
40. Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 drop of melaleuca oil and apply to piercings with a cotton swab to prevent infection and promote healing.
41. Restore moisture to dry hair with a nourishing coconut oil hair treatment.
42. Apply a bit of melaleuca oil twice a day to remove warts without freezing.
43. Make a moisturizing body wash using coconut oil and essential oils.
Read More: DIY Coconut Oil Body Wash
44. Dab a tiny bit of melaleuca oil on canker sores and cold sores to promote speedy healing.
45. Make a homemade honey-mint flavored mouthwash.
Read More: Homemade Honey Mint Mouthwash
46. Add a drop of melaleuca oil to your face wash to help clear up and prevent acne breakouts.
47. Make an anti-aging facial serum to keep your skin looking youthful.
Read More: DIY Anti-Aging Facial Serum
48. Soothe pain from a toothache by massaging a drop of peppermint oil around the painful area.
49. Make a homemade coconut oil-based toothpaste.
50. Massage a drop of peppermint oil onto your tummy to soothe an upset stomach.
51. Make a gel infused with essential oils to help reduce or eliminate nighttime snoring.
Read More: How to Make Snore Relieving Gel in a Jar
52. A few drops of lemon oil in your humidifier will help ease respiratory issues during cold and flu season.
53. Warm up your fingers and toes after a frigid outdoor outing using black pepper oil.
Read More: DIY “Warming Salve” for Cold Fingers & Toes!
54. Lemon oil on a soft cloth can be used to treat leather clothing and furniture.
55. Keep cats away from your houseplants with a simple deterring spray.
56. Massage a few drops of lemon oil onto dry heels to help soften the skin.
57. Make a relaxing linen spray for your sheets.
Read More: Homemade Lavender Linen Spray
58. Apply a spray of water and a few drops of lemon oil to your hair before going out in the sun, to promote natural highlights.
59. Make a pre-shave oil that prevents razor burn and irritation.
60. Add a few drops of lemon oil to your dish soap for sparkling clean dishes.
61. Whip up a super simple lip scrub to exfoliate and moisturize your lips.
62. Drink a glass of water with a drop of peppermint oil for a natural energy boost.
63. Prevent seasonal colds and the flu with the “Cold and Flu Bomb.”
Read More: How to Make Your Own Cold & Flu Bomb
64. Use a few drops of lemon oil to remove gum from hair.
65. Add body and thickness to thin hair with a homemade hair mask.
Read More: DIY Hair Thickening Mask & Rinse
66. Diffuse lemon essential oil for a boost of energy and to add some cheer to your day!
67. Freshen up the air in your car by making an easy air freshener infused with essential oils.
Read More: Make Your Own Car Air Freshener in Minutes!
68. Make a foot bath with a few drops of melaleuca essential oil added to soothe and treat athlete’s foot.
69. Make a toilet bowl cleaning solution.
70. Add a drop or two of melaleuca essential oil to your favorite toothpaste and mouthwash to fight gum disease, and promote good overall oral health.
I’m always happy to answer comments, messages, and emails from my readers! But I do tend to get a lot of the same questions about essential oils, so I thought I’d put together a little essential oils FAQ. If you’re curious about what oils I use or recommend, then read on! (If you’re not curious, I won’t be offended.)
Jillee’s Essential Oils FAQ
“What brand of essential oils do you use?”
I purchase all of my essential oils from Spark Naturals, a health and wellness company based here in my home state of Utah.
“Why do you buy your oils from Spark Naturals?”
I purchase essential oils from Spark Naturals for several reasons, but the most compelling reason is probably their low prices. Essential oils can be quite expensive, but Spark Naturals offers lower prices (often significantly lower) than many of their competitors. How? They source their oils in bulk, and sell them directly to their customers. These practices save them money, and they pass those savings onto their customers. Lucky us! :-)
You can also save an additional 10% on every order from Spark Naturals when you enter the coupon code JILLEE at checkout!
“What is the quality of Spark Naturals essential oils?”
Spark Naturals sells 100% pure, undiluted essential oils and essential oil blends. Visit their website to read about their commitment to selling only the highest quality products.
“Do I have to sign up for anything to purchase products from Spark Naturals?”
NO. Some essential oil companies have a multi-level marketing (MLM) structure, but Spark Naturals is not one of them. Purchasing products from Spark Naturals is as easy as adding the product to your online cart and completing the checkout process. No commitments, and no strings attached.