My Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner!

I fear I am becoming like the Dad in the movie  My Big Fat Greek Wedding. You know the guy who goes around spraying everything and everyone with  Windex  claiming it’s pretty much the cure for EVERYTHING!
MOVIE QUOTE:
“Toula Portokalos: My dad believed in two things: That Greeks should educate non Greeks about being Greek and every ailment from psoriasis to poison ivy can be cured with Windex.”

Since I discovered the “miracle” of baking soda and peroxide…I can’t stop cleaning stuff with it! Last week it was my stove top that I had UNSUCCESSFULLY tried EVERY OTHER CLEANER on and now sparkles like new! This week I have cleaned my toaster, blender and KitchenAid mixer til they SHINE!

Today, as I contemplated what I could clean next, I noticed my nasty-looking utensils that are covered with hard water spots and thought….why not!?!? :-)

This time I decided to document with pictures. Although my camera phone doesn’t really do the Before and Afters justice…I still think it’s pretty dramatic!

**BEFORE**
miracle cleaner
**AFTER**
miracle cleaner

This is my “recipe”:

I put about 1/4 cup of baking soda in a small glass bowl and squirt in hydrogen peroxide until it makes a nice paste.  Then I rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease…whatever!  I usually just use my fingers…but I also use a small sponge at times as well.

miracle cleaner

I’ve never used gloves and my fingers have never bothered me.  As a matter of fact, this stuff seems to make them softer?  Is that possible?

big greek wedding

SEE!  I AM becoming like the Dad in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”!  Next thing I’ll be putting it on my zits!  hahaha.  Probably not though. ;-)

Share on Facebook489Tweet about this on Twitter16Pin on Pinterest49,922Google+9

Comments

1. courtney says

I have figured out that to keep the hard water spots from making my dishes look more dirty than when they went in, I do not use the pots and pans feature on the dishwasher, only normal wash. Also DO NOT use the heated dry, this is what is baking on the minerals in the water. So far it's worked great, and every time somebody pushes the buttons and I don't notice I once again have dirty dishes :(

2. wpfarmgirl says

Just tried this on a pan I was starting to think was a goner. My peroxide was expired (2008 – eye roll), but I scrubbed like my life depeneded on it (or at least my sanity) and all the gunk is gone! I have pinned a couple other "recipes" for future use. Love your site! Thanks!

3. Deanna Desrosiers says

I wanted to mention something about zits and blemishes. I have heard of using the baking soda mixture, but I have never personally tried it. I do know however, that toothPASTE really helps to dissolve blemishes fast. My sisters and I have used this for years when we didn't have facial cleaning products on hand.

If you dab a little toothpaste on each blemish and let it dry and keep it there for a bit (I personally have left it on overnight) it helps bring down redness and inflamation and seems to just suck the oil and gunk out. Usually in the morning the zit is ready to expel and then it dries and heals within a day and a half or so. On the plus side, it's gentle and it has a slight cooling sensation that can be really soothing if you have a painful blemish.

I do not think that the toothGEL works because now that I think of it, it must be the baking soda in the toothpaste that makes it work.

4. Anonymous says

I noticed my fingers become soft after using Oxy Clean. My mom always said it was the chemicals taking off dead skin. Be careful with the Miracle Cleaner– might more powerful than you thought!! Gonna have to make some of my own

5. Anonymous says

As for the dishwasher….use TANG for one wash with an empty machine. It gets rid of ALL the stains in the machine. Has worked in several machines I have had over the years.

6. Anonymous says

It worked pretty well for my nasty cookie sheets, but it sure made my wedding ring sparkle like new! I can't stop looking at my hand!

7. Donna says

Awesome!
    I'm not sure if you answered this already but what do you do after you put the mixture on the grease?
    Do you just wipe it off with a wet towel/rag/sponge? Do you wash it off?

8. mamalewie says

My dentist recommended using a paste of equal portions of baking soda and salt, and enough hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Soda cleans, salt helps the gums, and the HP bubbles its way into all the nooks and crannies! Cant wait to try this on my cookie sheets!