Microdermabrasion In A Box

microdermabrasion in a box

I’ve been thinking about posting about this for awhile now, but hesitated because it just seemed too “out there”. Tonight, after wrapping dozens of paper flower stems with floral tape (can’t wait to show off my paper creations next week, after the Open House is over) my hands were SO dirty and SO sticky!

I went to the kitchen sink to wash them and noticed my bowl of “Miracle Cleaner” sitting there from my latest cleaning attack.  I was having a hard time getting all of the glue from the floral tape off my fingers so I decided to scoop up a bit of my baking soda and peroxide mixture and see if it would help. I wonder if I’ll ever stop being amazed by this stuff!?! It took the glue right off AND after I had rinsed my hands…left them feeling softer and smoother as well!

This reminded me of comments people have left on my blog about baking soda not only being good for cleaning…but also for exfoliating the skin on your face. A “homemade” microdermabrasion if you will.

microdermabrasion in a box

I decided to do a little research and from what I can gather (and I’m no expert, I just play one on my blog!) there definitely is something to the baking soda as a facial skin exfoliant idea.  I read several things written by estheticians who said they will use baking soda in their upscale salons and spas because it’s all natural and gentler than most manufactured scrubs. I’ve said it several times before…while baking soda is an “abrasive” when cleaning…it has more of a “polishing” effect, than a “scouring” effect, in my humble opinion.

Betty at CrunchyBetty.com uses a simple paste of baking soda and water once a week to exfoliate dead skin and make her skin softer and more radiant.  She calls it her “favorite homemade beauty secret ever”.

microdermabrasion in a box

BAKING SODA MICRODERMABRASION

2 Tbsp Baking soda
Distilled Water

Start with a clean face (very important, as you don’t want to rub any dirt back into your skin). Make a slightly soupy paste with the baking soda and distilled water. Working in small circles, rub the entirety of your face very lightly. Do this for five minutes (that seem to go on forever, while you contemplate the slight stinging sensation you feel). Do, of course, avoid the eye area. Rinse very well. Revel in your clean, glowing skin!

I like to also mix in a few drops of Wild Orange essential oil to my mixture for a toning effect!

microdermabrasion in a box 4

Helen Noble, Founder and President of Belacrema and Author of Being Simply Beautiful has this advice:

“It is good practice to exfoliate your skin gently every day. I suggest using baking soda, because it is a natural, mild exfoliant. With clean hands, take your favorite cleanser, lather your face with warm water, pat your fingertips in the baking soda, and begin in a circular motion, starting at your nose. Work your way over your cheekbones and out toward your ears.”

I’ve also read some good things about it’s effectiveness on clearing up acne. I’m going to have to read up more on that also and maybe use my 16 year old (who I’ve been buying PRICEY ProActive for!) as a guinea pig. :-)

So there you have it…yet another amazing use for the humble box of baking soda sitting in your baking cupboard (or in your fridge).  I’m going to have to start thinking about what I want to do with all the $$ I’m saving thanks to this stuff. :-)

Share on Facebook153Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest105,295Google+2

Comments

1. Cadence says

Love this idea! Did you know that baking soda also makes great deodorant? You can pat it on dry, or mix with water as you did here and wipe it on. Works well, smells fresh, and is healthier than regular deodorant!

2. Anonymous says

I have been using baking soda for a facial scrub for several years. I get great results doing this when I shower. I wait until the end of my shower when my skin has softened and my pores have opened. I put b. soda in my hand, let some water spray into it, and then scrub my face with my fingertips and using extra pressure in my "trouble" areas. Then I let the shower spray my face clean. When I get out, I can see in the mirror that my facial lines have softened and are much less visible (almost a mini facelift…. almost). (I do not get these results if I simply wash my face at the sink and scrub with baking soda.) I tend to break out if I skip a day of cleaning my pores this way.

Also, after I floss and brush my teeth with toothpaste, I then brush them again using baking soda and they feel like I just had them polished at the dentist’s office. I then gargle with baking soda dissolved in warm water to neutralize any odor. And I finish by gargling with one to two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide (not mixed with anything). I can see the foaming action of the peroxide as it kills germs around my gumline. After a couple of minutes (don't swallow these germs), I then rinse several times with plain warm water to rid the bacteria from my mouth.

3. Joyce Hawkins says

Hi I’ve been using b soda for about a week and i really had an actual facial peel. lots of dead skin came off of my face after i washed. i am really looking forward the overall results. Ty Jesus for allowing me to come across this information that was given to by my friend.

4. Jennilynne16 says

Just a warning to those with really sensitive skin. I LOVE the effect of using baking soda as an exfoliant. I have used it many times. But I do have really sensitive skin, and it burns and after a couple times, will dry my face out. I’m not sure if I simply need to cut back (I was doing it about twice a week) or if I scrubbed too hard, etc. I really didn’t feel like experimenting after my face went through an almost complete reddening/stinging/peeling (eventually) phase after the last time I did it. When I put it on my face, I immediately felt the burning. But again, my skin is really sensitive. I’m sure this is fine for most people. And if really does work so nicely!

• Izzyoneill says

For dryer more sensitive skin types.
      Mix equal parts of the baking soda and organic/virgin coconut oil
      Make a paste and massage onto face. Rinse at furst sign of warmness. Pat dry. Viola!
      Been doing this nightly for two wks and my skin has NEVER looked better!!!!

5. Bethany says

Although baking soda is amazing, sometimes my skin and be quite sensitive to it. Another great scrub for face and whole body is just plain sugar and water. Rinses very very clean. I have adult acne pretty bad now for 2 yrs. After trying everything on the market I have finally stopped buying and started thinking naturally. First I have to say I do buy.. one thing. My cetaphil derma cleanser for oily skin. Wow that stuff is a miracle in a bottle. After I cleans with that I then use about 2 drops of tea tree oil mixed with water- poor on cotton ball and clean. Use as little as possible, it WILL dry out your skin if too much is used. If I get a blemish now, I leave it alone. It pains me to leave it. Really it does. But I put some ice cubes in a paper towel and ice it like an old injury. I actually ice all of my face a lot. It kind of feels good and well, easy to do when your watching tv. My face hasn’t been this clear in a very long time. Tempting to use the honey and aloe mask.. haven’t yet. I do also use the cetaphil moisturizer with sunscreen.

6. Joan says

My adult daughter had a problem with with her face breaking out [this from something she was was around]
    she used baking to w=scrub her face than vinegar over it [full strength] then rinsed in a few it cleared up. She had used the acne care products from TV add, I forgot name, and it didn’t work.
    I read that a half water / half vinegar in a small bottle to take with you and cotton balls to dab on blemishes several times daily helps acne.

7. nikki says

Definitely make sure you wash it off WELL. I do this about twice a week (usually with honey + baking soda and water) and I always end up having to go back to the sink to wash it off once or twice, lol!

8. Tonia Hall says

Hi Again!
    I wanted to share another health/beauty use for baking soda. I buy this stuff in the big box that is usually found in the laundry aisle or at Sam’s Warehouse in the really big bag! That is how much I use and love baking soda!
    My mom and grandma taught me that you can use it to clean your hair of old hairspray and styling product! We are a family of thick-haired people, so we don’t have time to wash our hair and dry it daily. I usually only wash my dry, super thick hair three times a week or so. The products tend to build up. So, to clean my hair and scalp well, about once a week, add a tablespoon or so to the shampoo that you pour into your hand for the first wash. Scrub it well and rinse then repeat without the baking soda. Works like a charm.

It also works great for cleaning combs and brushes. Just run hot water in the bathroom sink, add some baking soda and let soak for a little while. Rinse away all the products that have built up and it eases the removal of hair from the brush.

Hope you like my suggestions!
    Thanks for all your tips!
    Tonia
    aka param3d1c

9. Lynne says

I have rosacea, exzema, seborreic dermatitis, you name it. I have very sensitive skin, needless to say. I used an expensive prescription cleanser on my face, but would frequently have to use steroid cream on my face to combat dry skin. I now use baking soda to clean my face and it’s incredible! Works so much better than the prescription. (For the rosacea, anyway.)

• donna says

I just tried this on my arms – I suffer from psoriasis. I also mixed a little sunflower oil into it so that I wouldn’t have to moisturize after. One step. My arms feel much better and cleaner. You feel just a little oil still on your skin but not greasy.

• Jill Jones says

I also have trouble with excema and acne. I usually use an RX for both. I figured out about a year ago that the acne RX was making the excema on my hands worse. Well, I just noticed the other day that the RX for my hands has a side effect of acne. Nice! Suffice it to say, I will be trying the baking soda and coconut oil for awhile and see if they don’t both clear up.

10. Becka says

Jillee! Whenever I have a problem… guess where I tend to go first? Right here to your awesome blog! I’ve learned and done so much since following you. Today, I had HAD IT with this never ending dry patch on my forehead and nose, and (as I was looking for your carpet sprinkle) I stumbled across this post. Well, I immediately put off the carpet powder (I’m vacuuming tomorrow anyway) and ran into the bathroom with the box of baking soda. It worked so well! No more dry patches! Thank you so much!!!

11. SJ says

HOLY MOLY! I had to comment on this…. I tried this baking soda microderm last night and YOU WERE NOT LYING! That was the best scrub I’ve ever used on my face! I normally spend hundreds of dollars on expensive products, and this cleaned and exfoliated better than anything has in the past!

Rub gently it does sting a bit especially around the nose, but WOW I had so much dry skin and my skin looked AH-MAZING afterwards. And I slathered on Coconut Oil after and that stuff works too! Very hydrating!
    Must try this! xxoo

12. Izzyoneill says

Mix- Equal parts of baking soda and virgin/organic coconut oil- best skin treatment EVER!!!!!
    I’ve been doing it nightly for two weeks now and my skin HAS NEVER looked better!!! Try it! Seriously!

13. Crissy says

I have been using baking soda scrub/masks for quite sometime. I squeeze half a lemon and add a few drops of honey, scrub gently and then leave it on until dry and wash off in the shower. I use it as a facial every week. The lemon is supposed to help with acne and the honey is used for healing the skin. Sometimes I steam my face before scrubbing/applying the mask. It really cleans out your pores. I found this recipe in a magazine long time ago and have sworn by it ever since. Thank you for all of the tips for using baking soda…your site is great!!

14. Charlotte says

Please correct the pH balance after using a baking soda scrub by using something acidic afterward. Baking soda is very, very ALKALINE. Skin likes to be slightly ACIDIC. It is super important to use an acidic toner (commercial salicylic acid toner or moisturizer, aspirin mask, diluted lemon juice [or most other juices], diluted ACV [or most other vinegars], whatever-you-happen-to-have-on-hand) after scrubbing with the baking soda.

If you don’t correct the pH balance after using baking soda as a scrub, you will destroy your acid mantle. The acid mantle’s purpose is to keep bacteria out of pores–it might clear up acne initially, but why ruin what nature’s already doing for you?

(p.s. I’m not a dermatologist, but I’m betting that the alkalinity is also the reason why it’s supposed to be bad to use regular bar soap on your face–it’s almost as alkaline as baking soda)

15. Kaytlyn says

Thank you! I am a make-up/beauty/skin fanatic and as soon as I read this, I did it. Now, I have sensitive skin so I took the advice to add honey and it was spot on! I am always looking for natural ways to care for my body/skin/overall health and this will definitely be a mainstay in my routine. Thanks again

16. Kell says

Wow! That’s the only word I can use right now. I am 31 years old and more than once a month my face breaks out. I came across this on Pinterest and thought to myself “yeah right”, but had to try it. I used a combination of several items mentioned in the above posts. I combined 2 tablespoons of baking soda, a half of tablespoon of honey and mixed a tad bit of water and mixed together. Before applying I made sure my face was clean with just water. After that I applied the mixture to my face and rubbed in a circular motion for about 3 minutes. Next I splashed warm water to my face and pat dry. Afterwards I placed a tad bit of vinegar and water to my face as recommended above. My face feels soooo smooth! The pimples that I had prior are still there, but I can tell that they are smaller! This is amazing and I am soo happy I had all the items on hand when I read this. Thank you!

17. Maria says

I have been using baking soda as an exfoliant my entire life and love it. At 45 years old and after abusing the sun for many years, I only have a few sunspots on my face and I attribute it to the baking soda scrub. I do it 3 times a week. I also love a scrub of lemon and granulated sugar. I rub it around my face in circular motion and leave it on while I clean around the house. When I remove it, my skin feels smooth like a baby’s behind.

18. Janene says

Ok I JUST did this about an hour ago. Holy amaze-balls! My face is GLOWING. I’ve never glowed! My massive cystic zit on my chin is half the size it was before I used this scrub and my nose looks significantly clearer of blackheads.

Colour me impressed.

Can I use this every day?!

19. Nicola says

All I can say is WOW!!!
    Every winter I get these dry, red, crusty (gross) type of patches on my upper arms. No matter what I scrub or do (I don’t have medical insurance so I can’t go to see a dermatologist) they never go away until the warmer weather.
    I used the baking soda scrub on my arms and face last night. I tell you no lie, the patches on my arms are barely noticeable and my face feels like silk!
    I can’t thank you enough for posting about this…and all the comments and tips people have left.

• donna says

I have psoriasis on my arms that appear as red, scaly patches. I am glad to read that this clears your skin up. I plan on trying it tonight on my arms. Sloughing off the dead skin also helps moisturizers and medications work better. Thank you for letting us all know it works for you.

20. kayla marie says

So I just tried the backing soda on my face for the first time and my face turned dark red and became very swollen. So now I am taking allergy medicine to help the pain and swelling. Can any one tell me why this happened?

21. Kay says

Facial “Scrub” is a misnomer. Cleanse your face, then mix some baking soda with your cleanser to polish, not “scrub” your face. Use circular motions and GENTLE pressure, working it longer rather than stronger. (Remember, you are not scrubbing a sink here. If you are getting a stinging sensation, you are scrubbing too hard, just like with commercial facial scrubs.) A year ago I read about using baking soda and cannot tell you how well it works to give me soft and younger looking skin, plus it vanished all my chronic dry places. Works well all over the body. I am over 65, have very dry and very sensitive skin (all the AHAs give me a rash), and can afford all the branded products. But nothing works as well as baking soda! I am delighted that my complexion still draws almost daily compliments from both friends and strangers, who say my skin is “luminous” or it “glows”.

22. shelly says

I have used b-soda … and love it ! What about the benefits as a foot scrub ? My son is always battling athletes foot – and I get dry crackly heels in the summer…. Ideas ??
    Thanks :)

• Renee says

You could try a foot bath with a 1/4 cup of baking soda and two tea bags (any kind on hand) and hot water. Soak for 30 minutes or longer. It definitely helped my cracked heels, but I would also suggest a pumice stone after the soak just to help get the dead skin off.

23. Tiff says

You should tell your daughter to be careful about using ProActive. I began using it in high school because I had moderate acne problems, but my dermatologist warned me that over time, my skin could possibly become immune to the benzoyl peroxide that’s the active ingredient in ProActive (especially after applying it to my whole face for so long). Sure enough, after using it for almost five years, my skin began to break out horribly. I had deep acne cysts that just wouldn’t go away. So I began researching all natural skin care methods, and I came across the oil-cleansing method, which I do at night before bed after removing my makeup. I also use Burt’s Bees orange essence cleanser in the morning. This along with exfoliating and using a homemade face mask once a week has helped so much. Exfoliating with baking soda is so gentle on my skin. I’ve tried mixing it with honey, which is a great moisturizer and is great for acne prone skin. It works wonders especially because trapped dead skin cells can lead to more blemishes popping up. Tea tree oil also is great as an over night spot treatment if you get any stubborn pimples. It helps dry them up quickly and reduces redness tremendously.

24. Tina says

I love to clean my face with coconut oil to remove the makeup. Then I heat my face with warm water and apply raw honey to kill the bacteria. I let that sit a minute and then mix baking soda and ground oatmeal (which soothes the skin), and rub clean. I apply a light amount of coconut oil for moisturizer before bed on my face and hands! It works amazing!

25. Angel says

I just discovered baking soda magic recently, for my skin. I’m a big fan of using natural remedies for health and cooking, but a little late to the party for beauty care stuff. I started using coconut oil as a body moisturizer about a year ago and recently added baking soda on whim to clean my face bc well, it needed it. I have never had such smooth skin. Baking soda is now part of my every-night routine. After the gym, I hit the shower and reach for my tub of this concoction that I made to keep in my shower. Yesterday, I was cleaning out some cabinets and realized I had some a tiny tube of peppermint oil I must have gotten as a sample somewhere…I threw some of it in there….wow do I recommend that! It adds this fresh tingly clean feel that I think will become addicting…

26. Samantha says

Hello I am 26 years old and have had really bad acne since I was 13. I never scared but I constantly had white and black heads. SO embarrassing in high school. I started proactive and it worked! Well what worked was the benzyl peroxide. Eventually I just bought the clearasil benzol peroxide for so much cheaper and my acne started to go away. I also am very oily, so I started using st ives apricot scrub. My acne was almost gone. I am sure age helped, but the results were immediate. Trying to live a healthier life, and at the time I was starting college, I started washing my face with baking soda. I do not rub it in for 5 min, maybe 30 seconds a day. My acne went right away and I only dab a TINY bit of the benzyl peroxide on if I get a random pimple. I also started moisturizing my face with coconut oil right after my shower. My eyelashes and eyebrows started to grow fuller and my skin was SO smooth! I think your daughter would benefit from this. Maybe not 5 min of scrubbing, but exfoliating every day is what made my acne go away.

Talk to your surgeon about all your concerns related to the procedure, and
    be sure you know and understand the risks and the realistic expectations of your procedure.
    Life & Style Weekly’s December 2010 issue has a picture of
    a sad and beautiful Heidi Montag on the cover with the following headline, “World Exclusive Shocking Photos: Heidi’s New Surgery Disaster: Horrific Scars, Botched Implants, Lumpy Liposuction, Mangled Ears: “I Feel Like Frankenstein”. Cosmetic plastic surgery is a very popular and expensive method of beautifying one.

This focus by Indochine Natural on ancient Asian recipes and ingredients appears
    to be in contrast to the mainstream where the technological takeover
    of skincare that commenced in the United States during
    the1950s is now a global phenomenon. Second, for representatives, there is the
    perspective of supplying the best opportunities and resources to women to help themselves and their family members.
    If you are trying to find reliable reviews from people who have tried certain
    beauty products, you can always connect to the Net and visit the sites that can give you
    good reviews.

You have nothing to lose (except maybe excess weight) and a lot to gain by a regular colon cleansing.
    The average duration of use is 3-6 months in order to
    see effects. It is also in charge of pumping nutrients into the bloodstream once
    food is digested.

If you are adamant about keeping all of your child. The knobs allow you to have total control of the steam in the shower.

Good nutrition will ensure the energy needed to follow through with adding walking
    to a fitness plan.

The that care skin care of your hair, while the heart is,
    smoother GHD hair is definitely a good choice.
    The higher the sulfate concentration, the more irritating it can be to your hair and skin.

Treatments carried out by dental professionals such as Hygienists and dental nurses will have the add advantage over a treatment done by a
    newly trained whitening technician, and that’s where the prices
    will differ.

Vous pouvez donner en plus parmi immobilier montpellier la pompignane toutes les dernières beaucoup d’entre eux moelleux cotonneuse marine Vaillant n’épargne et secret à l’agriculture cire qui est

immobilier montpellier foch

immobilier montpellier castelnau le lez

agence immobiliere montpellier quartier richter

immobilier montpellier cité mion