Microdermabrasion In A Box

Microdermabrasion in a box

I’ve been thinking about posting about this for awhile now, but hesitated because it just seemed too “out there”. Tonight, after wrapping dozens of paper flower stems with floral tape (can’t wait to show off my paper creations next week, after the Open House is over) my hands were SO dirty and SO sticky!

I went to the kitchen sink to wash them and noticed my bowl of “Miracle Cleaner” sitting there from my latest cleaning attack.  I was having a hard time getting all of the glue from the floral tape off my fingers so I decided to scoop up a bit of my baking soda and peroxide mixture and see if it would help. I wonder if I’ll ever stop being amazed by this stuff!?! It took the glue right off AND after I had rinsed my hands…left them feeling softer and smoother as well!

This reminded me of comments people have left on my blog about baking soda not only being good for cleaning…but also for exfoliating the skin on your face. A “homemade” microdermabrasion if you will.

microdermabrasion in a box

I decided to do a little research and from what I can gather (and I’m no expert, I just play one on my blog!) there definitely is something to the baking soda as a facial skin exfoliant idea.  I read several things written by estheticians who said they will use baking soda in their upscale salons and spas because it’s all natural and gentler than most manufactured scrubs. I’ve said it several times before…while baking soda is an “abrasive” when cleaning…it has more of a “polishing” effect, than a “scouring” effect, in my humble opinion.

Betty at CrunchyBetty.com uses a simple paste of baking soda and water once a week to exfoliate dead skin and make her skin softer and more radiant.  She calls it her “favorite homemade beauty secret ever”.

microdermabrasion in a box

BAKING SODA MICRODERMABRASION

Start with a clean face (very important, as you don’t want to rub any dirt back into your skin). Make a slightly soupy paste with the baking soda and distilled water. Working in small circles, rub the entirety of your face very lightly. Do this for five minutes (that seem to go on forever, while you contemplate the slight stinging sensation you feel). Do, of course, avoid the eye area. Rinse very well. Revel in your clean, glowing skin!

microdermabrasion in a box 4

Helen Noble, Founder and President of Belacrema and Author of Being Simply Beautiful has this advice:

“It is good practice to exfoliate your skin gently every day. I suggest using baking soda, because it is a natural, mild exfoliant. With clean hands, take your favorite cleanser, lather your face with warm water, pat your fingertips in the baking soda, and begin in a circular motion, starting at your nose. Work your way over your cheekbones and out toward your ears.”

I’ve also read some good things about it’s effectiveness on clearing up acne. I’m going to have to read up more on that also and maybe use my 16 year old (who I’ve been buying PRICEY ProActive for!) as a guinea pig. :-)

So there you have it…yet another amazing use for the humble box of baking soda sitting in your baking cupboard (or in your fridge).  I’m going to have to start thinking about what I want to do with all the $$ I’m saving thanks to this stuff. :-)

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest106,182Google+2

Comments

1. Cadence says

Love this idea! Did you know that baking soda also makes great deodorant? You can pat it on dry, or mix with water as you did here and wipe it on. Works well, smells fresh, and is healthier than regular deodorant!

2. Anonymous says

I have been using baking soda for a facial scrub for several years. I get great results doing this when I shower. I wait until the end of my shower when my skin has softened and my pores have opened. I put b. soda in my hand, let some water spray into it, and then scrub my face with my fingertips and using extra pressure in my "trouble" areas. Then I let the shower spray my face clean. When I get out, I can see in the mirror that my facial lines have softened and are much less visible (almost a mini facelift…. almost). (I do not get these results if I simply wash my face at the sink and scrub with baking soda.) I tend to break out if I skip a day of cleaning my pores this way.

Also, after I floss and brush my teeth with toothpaste, I then brush them again using baking soda and they feel like I just had them polished at the dentist’s office. I then gargle with baking soda dissolved in warm water to neutralize any odor. And I finish by gargling with one to two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide (not mixed with anything). I can see the foaming action of the peroxide as it kills germs around my gumline. After a couple of minutes (don't swallow these germs), I then rinse several times with plain warm water to rid the bacteria from my mouth.

3. Joyce Hawkins says

Hi I’ve been using b soda for about a week and i really had an actual facial peel. lots of dead skin came off of my face after i washed. i am really looking forward the overall results. Ty Jesus for allowing me to come across this information that was given to by my friend.

4. Jennilynne16 says

Just a warning to those with really sensitive skin. I LOVE the effect of using baking soda as an exfoliant. I have used it many times. But I do have really sensitive skin, and it burns and after a couple times, will dry my face out. I’m not sure if I simply need to cut back (I was doing it about twice a week) or if I scrubbed too hard, etc. I really didn’t feel like experimenting after my face went through an almost complete reddening/stinging/peeling (eventually) phase after the last time I did it. When I put it on my face, I immediately felt the burning. But again, my skin is really sensitive. I’m sure this is fine for most people. And if really does work so nicely!

• Izzyoneill says

For dryer more sensitive skin types.
      Mix equal parts of the baking soda and organic/virgin coconut oil
      Make a paste and massage onto face. Rinse at furst sign of warmness. Pat dry. Viola!
      Been doing this nightly for two wks and my skin has NEVER looked better!!!!

5. Andy says

I just read something about Lauren Conrad extolling the virtues of baking soda facials, and my family has been using it as a toothpaste forever, so now I think I will try this!

6. Bethany says

Although baking soda is amazing, sometimes my skin and be quite sensitive to it. Another great scrub for face and whole body is just plain sugar and water. Rinses very very clean. I have adult acne pretty bad now for 2 yrs. After trying everything on the market I have finally stopped buying and started thinking naturally. First I have to say I do buy.. one thing. My cetaphil derma cleanser for oily skin. Wow that stuff is a miracle in a bottle. After I cleans with that I then use about 2 drops of tea tree oil mixed with water- poor on cotton ball and clean. Use as little as possible, it WILL dry out your skin if too much is used. If I get a blemish now, I leave it alone. It pains me to leave it. Really it does. But I put some ice cubes in a paper towel and ice it like an old injury. I actually ice all of my face a lot. It kind of feels good and well, easy to do when your watching tv. My face hasn’t been this clear in a very long time. Tempting to use the honey and aloe mask.. haven’t yet. I do also use the cetaphil moisturizer with sunscreen.

7. Joan says

My adult daughter had a problem with with her face breaking out [this from something she was was around]
    she used baking to w=scrub her face than vinegar over it [full strength] then rinsed in a few it cleared up. She had used the acne care products from TV add, I forgot name, and it didn’t work.
    I read that a half water / half vinegar in a small bottle to take with you and cotton balls to dab on blemishes several times daily helps acne.

8. nikki says

Definitely make sure you wash it off WELL. I do this about twice a week (usually with honey + baking soda and water) and I always end up having to go back to the sink to wash it off once or twice, lol!

9. Tonia Hall says

Hi Again!
    I wanted to share another health/beauty use for baking soda. I buy this stuff in the big box that is usually found in the laundry aisle or at Sam’s Warehouse in the really big bag! That is how much I use and love baking soda!
    My mom and grandma taught me that you can use it to clean your hair of old hairspray and styling product! We are a family of thick-haired people, so we don’t have time to wash our hair and dry it daily. I usually only wash my dry, super thick hair three times a week or so. The products tend to build up. So, to clean my hair and scalp well, about once a week, add a tablespoon or so to the shampoo that you pour into your hand for the first wash. Scrub it well and rinse then repeat without the baking soda. Works like a charm.

It also works great for cleaning combs and brushes. Just run hot water in the bathroom sink, add some baking soda and let soak for a little while. Rinse away all the products that have built up and it eases the removal of hair from the brush.

Hope you like my suggestions!
    Thanks for all your tips!
    Tonia
    aka param3d1c

10. Lynne says

I have rosacea, exzema, seborreic dermatitis, you name it. I have very sensitive skin, needless to say. I used an expensive prescription cleanser on my face, but would frequently have to use steroid cream on my face to combat dry skin. I now use baking soda to clean my face and it’s incredible! Works so much better than the prescription. (For the rosacea, anyway.)

• donna says

I just tried this on my arms – I suffer from psoriasis. I also mixed a little sunflower oil into it so that I wouldn’t have to moisturize after. One step. My arms feel much better and cleaner. You feel just a little oil still on your skin but not greasy.

• Jill Jones says

I also have trouble with excema and acne. I usually use an RX for both. I figured out about a year ago that the acne RX was making the excema on my hands worse. Well, I just noticed the other day that the RX for my hands has a side effect of acne. Nice! Suffice it to say, I will be trying the baking soda and coconut oil for awhile and see if they don’t both clear up.