My KITCHEN "Miracle" Cleaner turned BATHROOM "Miracle" Cleaner!

bathroom miracle cleanerLet me just preface this by saying, “I am not a clean freak.”  Not that I think that’s a BAD thing!  Honestly, I could use a little more of that particular kind of freakiness. But lately, I can’t stop cleaning stuff! :-)  I don’t really plan it out. I’ll just notice something that I’ve probably overlooked (or tried to ignore) a thousand times before and suddenly I’ll have to clean it! Right then, right there. And since it doesn’t happen probably nearly as often as it should…I try to go with it when the urge strikes!

Witness this afternoon. I was working on the MILLION and one things I need to get done before the Open House for my son and his new bride next Saturday, when I noticed the faucet handle in my bathroom that today seemed particularly yucky!  I swear, I clean my bathroom sink on a fairly regular basis, but after awhile, make-up and hair spray seem to combine to form an almost impenetrable film on everything around my sink.  I have wiped this particular faucet knob a million times, but the make-up/hairspray gunk refuses to budge. For some inexplicable reason, today is the day I decided enough was enough.

I went to the cupboard under my kitchen sink where I now keep a supply of my favorite “miracle cleaner” (it’s just baking soda and peroxide but “miracle cleaner” sounds more impressive.)  The “paste” was all dried out since my last cleaning attack…but a couple squirts of peroxide and it was ready to go! (I took a picture of my little bowl, but for some reason it didn’t turn out.)

First, I worked on the faucet.

Impressive huh?  Wait, it gets better.

Second, I decided to attack the crease around the sink edge that also collects that stubborn-to-remove make-up/hairspray gunk.

Amazing! I didn’t think that stuff would ever come clean.

Third, my eye was drawn into that corner that never seems to quite get completely clean.  Mostly because it’s a corner…and it’s trickier to get in there and get the gunk.

Chalk another one up for the “miracle cleaner”!

Many, many other tasks demanded my attention today….so I decided to call that good, for now. That was until I moved my Chi hair straightener out of it’s usual place (while I was cleaning) and saw the horrible “burney spot” that’s been there for a couple of years now.

Warning: do not leave your hair straightener on all day
sitting directly on the bathroom counter!

I think you can surmise what happened here. I assure you, I have tried and tried and tried to get that stuff off (mainly because of the dirty looks I get from the hubster each time he notices it), but NOTHINGhas worked. I seriously doubted even my “miracle cleaner” was going to have a chance here….but you know I had to try.

Ummmm…..hello!  Within SECONDS of applying and rubbing with my fingers…..it was gone!

No kidding. Pinky Swear. I actually laughed out loud for real and summoned the hubster immediately.
I think his exact words were, “No way!”    WAY!!

So, that was my afternoon. When I SHOULD have been sewing, baking, shopping and planning for next Saturday’s celebration….I was cleaning my bathroom sink and giggling like a school girl over it.

Life is never what I expect…..and I wouldn’t change a thing! :-)

UPDATE: 11/26/2011: Today I am saddened to report that I discovered something my “miracle cleaner” could NOT clean in the bathroom. :-(((   I used this to deep-clean our bathtub today…and had high hopes it could work on the badly hard-water stained tub jets. While I WAS able to get a LOT of the gunk off…the plaster-like hard water deposits would not budge! Of course I am working on formulating a NEW plan to attack THOSE!

Share on Facebook20Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest1,445Google+0

Comments

1. Lanie says

We had horrible hard water stains/buildup in a rent house on glass shower doors, fixtures, and tub – I tried several things and finally made a paste/gel with white vinegar and borax, let it sit for about 15 minutes – used minimal elbow grease and ALL GONE!!!! Hope this helps. I use the miracle cleaner for everything too – love it!!

• Heather Johnson says

I just tried the borax and vinegar mixture and it harden like a rock and I had to scrape it off my sink and almost completely clogged the drain. What exactly did I do wrong?

• JJ says

I used your Dawn and hot vinegar on my hard water stains, and with a little elbow grease, they came clean!

• Cathy says

Wanted to tell everyone if you will get some of the eraser pads and use with the dawn/vinegar combo you will be shocked how well it works. I used it today on my tub and then in my walk in shower. Sprayed the dawn/vinegar mixture and then used the eraser pads to clean. Absolutely no effort at all and sparkling clean. I don’t think my tub has ever been as clean as it is now. And the walk in shower, which is all white porcelain tile, is sparkling as well.

Eraser pads should be tested in a small area first on softer materials, like laminate and polycarbonate… they will rub the shine right off!

• shelly says

If you wet it with vinegar after it hardens you are good to go. Works well whe you walk away to let the cleaner work and get distracted by the kids.

2. Rumor says

If you have etched the glass or tub with lime build up…it is like glasses that usually don't come clean in the dishwasher. Saying that Most of the time you can get it clean. CLR and a green scrubbie. I put it in a spray bottle and scrub the heck out of it. I know it isn't green clean which I do most of the time. I have a professional cleaning business and most of the time I can use vinegar and baking soda or dawn and vinegar. The key to keeping it off is to dry your showers and tubs. I go and buy a Commerical window squeedie. And dry them off. Once it is etched you want to keep hard water from building up again.
    I love the fact you try out whatever you post. I am trying them out also. Trying to get all my customers to go green. : )

3. Anonymous says

Fill your tub over your jets with HOT water, throw in some homemade dishwashing detergent and turn on for ten to fifteen minutes…it cleans the inside of them…and just be prepared for the yuck that comes out! By that time all of the gunk around the jets is loosened and comes off easily with a toothbrush.

4. Jill Nystul says

Thank you so much for the information about hard water stains! I need to make another plan of attack. Darn hard water!

5. Anonymous says

Have you tried a little citric acid mixed with water to clean hard water gunk off your jets. I use about 2 tsp. in my dishwasher and it cleans out my washer to an amazing sparkle (stainless steel).

6. Linda says

Not sure what your jets look like or where the hard water deposits are, but I wrap a paper towel (or washcloth) around the base of my bathroom faucets and wet down with vinegar. Then just let it sit, a couple of hours or overnight. The deposits just wipe right off. I also found your blog through Pinterest and liked it so much, I subscribed! First blog I ever subscribed to!

7. Jill Nystul says

Anony and Linda…thank you so much for those suggestions. I am definitely going to try that. It's sad because no one wants to use the bath with those icky jets. :-/ Oh and Linda…I'm honored to be your "first"! ;-)

8. Anonymous says

Try "Bar Keepers Friend" it is next to Comet and in the same kind of container. It will not scratch and it also great for getting rid of rust and the ONLY thing to get those metal marks off a porcelain sink or tub. I use it for copper pots, etc. If baking soda or vinegar won't clean something, I go to my Bar Keepers Friend. Gently rub it in with a sponge or washcloth & let it do it's thing. You could also try cooking oil. It sounds strange, but when I can't clean something I try oil. (as long it is something that I can get oil out of.)

• Cathy says

I love Bar Keepers Friend for the same reason. It gets rust and also iron stains off of my dishes and makes my pots and pans sparkle like new.

I have several things that have worked great on hard water marks depending on the surface…

Vinegar works great where you can soak it for a while. On tub jets – get those cotton squares you use for removing makeup- soak them and let them sit on the jets for a few hours. Redampen if they dry out.
    For shower heads and faucets – take a ziplock bag full of vinegar and rubberband or zip tie it to the faucet… let sit then just wipe the crusty stuff off.

Glass shower doors- toothpaste seems to work best for mine now. The actual paste, not the gel. I usually just do it while I am in the shower, and it smells good. Just remember not to wipe water out of your eyes while you have any toothpaste residue on your hands!!!! Not a good experience ;o)

I have been told that 1 pt vinegar and 1 pt fabric softener works great on shower doors too. I just don’t use fabric softener, so have never tried since the toothpaste works great on our showers.

Cut an old lemon, and wipe it over your faucets… that will help with the deposits too. Has only worked on some of my faucets though… not sure what the difference is… but it works great on most of them.

1. [...] a “miracle cleaner”. Of course, I had to click on it and see what it was. The site is “One Good Thing by Jillee” and let me tell you….it really is a miracle! I decided to test it out this morning and I am [...]