Clean Your Ceiling Fan In SECONDS!

Clean Your Ceiling Fan

We decided to put up our Christmas tree and decorations yesterday…but before I could start…I had to clean.  The thought of putting up decorations on top of dirty, dusty surfaces is icky. (Am I alone in this?)

One particularly onerous cleaning chore I had to tackle (that I had put off for FAR too long) was the ceiling fans. :-(

I don’t know why I am such a procrastinator when it comes to those fans…but I am.  Maybe because it involves dragging out the ladder or maybe it’s because no one really looks up there (yeah right! wishful thinking.)  But alas, I HAVE procrastinated and they were in pretty sad shape.

As crazy as it sounds though…I was actually kind of excited to clean them this particular time because of a super secret ceiling fancleaning method I had discovered that may have just changed my life forever!

Here is the secret…..but you have to promise not to tell ANYONE!  This is just between you and me!

This is what you do:

• Slide blades, one at a time, into a pillowcase and wipe! All the dusty gunk stays inside!
  • Then shake out the case outside and throw it in the wash!

Tada! Incredible, right?  Remember, it’s our little secret.

ceiling fan

Of course I jest!  This picture has been posted and reposted so many times on Pinterest I’ve lost count. It is apparently a very POPULAR idea! A very popular BRILLIANT idea! A very popular brilliant idea that WORKS! (And those are the very best kind!)

Here is how it worked at my house:
(Once again I must ask you to not judge me too harshly since I am only showing you my NASTY ceiling fans in the name of household science.)

Cleaning Your Ceiling Fan

Cleaning Your Ceiling Fan (One good thing about the fans being SO dirty is that it makes the BEFORE and AFTER pictures more dramatic!)  ;-)

This literally took seconds to do each blade! Total time for 5 blades…LESS than 5 minutes total!  So basically I had been putting off for MONTHS what it took LESS THAN 5 minutes to do!

Lesson learned. Ceiling fans clean!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter12Pin on Pinterest49,758Google+5

Comments

1. Debbie says

I put some fabric softner sheets inside the pillow case…..added bonus the blades don't collect the dust as fast!!!!

2. Jill Nystul says

Debbie! This is EXACTLY why I LOVE the comments section of my blog!! What a GREAT suggestion! thanks for sharing!

3. Anonymous says

Funny!! You made my so boring day!! And that before pic looks like my fan after work I am going to try and make my fan look like the after pic…Thanks for the motivation!

4. Jill Nystul says

v….maybe it will take two or three pillowcases….soaked in a good de-greaser?? :-)

Anony…you are welcome! Thank YOU for the reminder! I really need to do the bedroom fan!

5. Kathy in STL says

Thanks so much for this suggestion! My husband was changing the lightbulbs the other day and I said, "Wait! I have a new way to clean the blades!" He did it in like 5 minutes tops and was WAY less messy than previous attempts. Keep up the great work!

6. Anonymous says

Oh, I wish I had found this 2 weeks ago! My arm killed me the day after I spent over an hour cleaning all the fans in my house! You better believe I'm gonna remember this in the future!

This post is very funny, because it is so me. Mine stay gunked up, but my theory is that as long as the fans are moving, no one will notice, so they stay on all the time. LOL. Thanks for the super duper secret pillow case idea. If I ever get around to cleaning the blades, I’ll use it. :-)

8. Melissa says

I’m SOOOO trying this tonight. With the warmer weather, I need to use our fans but am afraid it will shower us with dust if I do. Thanks for the idea!

9. Tea says

This is a “FAN”-tastic idea (sorry, I couldn’t resist)! I just did all 3 fans in the house in 5 minutes flat! Posted BEFORE and AFTER’s on my Facebook so all my family and friends would see how awesome it works! Used the following disclaimer on the BEFORE pics:

Don’t judge. If yours haven’t looked like this you either have too much time on your hands (get a hobby) or you spend too much time cleaning and not enough time enjoying life.

Great blog! Keep those ideas coming and thanks so much for sharing!!

• Shan says

I don’t think that having a clean house means you have too much time or don’t enjoy life. My house is clean and I have a routine that tackles everything part of my house that I go through every month. I am blessed to have what I do so I take care of the things I have…house included. I still find time to read, bake lots, knit, play with my kids, mentor a friend, have weekly coffee dates with friends and weekly dates with my husband. Time management is key.

Love the pillow case idea and will try it Oct 29th when it is time to clean the ceiling fans.