The Secret To Perfect Shredded Chicken In Seconds!

I ran across this idea on Pinterest (shocking huh?) awhile ago and have been using this method for “perfect shredded chicken” ever since. This one definitely falls under the “why didn’t I think of that?” category.  But hey, at least SOMEONE did! And now all of us can benefit from it!

So that’s why I’m posting it here, for those of you who haven’t yet been let in on the “secret”. I decided to make Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas for Sunday dinner and since it calls for shredded chicken, I just decided to snap a few pics while I was at it. I’m pretty sure the pictures speak for themselves. Just make sure you do this when the chicken is still warm/hot!

Update: a few people have asked for a few more details….so here they are.  I used the paddle hook on my KitchenAid…and I did it on a low setting for a couple of minutes.  Start slow and speed up as it becomes more shredded.

Perfect Shredded Chicken
TADA!
You’re welcome. :-))

Facebook237Twitter5Pinterest10884Google+5

Comments

1. Mark says

Once I get a KitchenAid with a paddle hook I’ll go this route. For now I just use 2 dinner forks on a cutting board to shred. Takes a while and sometimes hurts my hands, but it gets the job done fairly quick and the meat stays pretty hot.

2. Jenny says

You can also do this in a Bosch, I use the wire wisks on mine. As long as the meat (roast, chicken, pork, etc.) is piping hot and fully cooked it will shred it for you in seconds. HTH someone!

3. spitefulilsprite says

This can be done with just a humble old handmixer as well. I currently am making the honey lime chicken enchiladas and cooked the chicken in the crockpot. When they were done I simply used the handmixer directly in the crockpot, mixed the first four ingredients with the chicken and let marinate in the crock. Worked just as well, took just as little time and I have even less clean up. :)

Question… what’s a “Paddle Hook” attachment? I have a professional grade KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook, paddle, and wire whisk attachments, but I don’t have a “paddle hook” attachment, and when I attempt to search the KitchenAid website for a “paddle hook” attachment, I get zero returns, so I’m not sure that’s the correct name for the attachment. Can you clarify as to whether you are talking about a certain type of dough hook or paddle attachment because I don’t believe a “paddle hook” actually exists.

• Karen says

I wasn’t sure which attachment either….but I was looking around and on the link for the garlic chicken puffs, it shows shredding the chicken in a kitchen aid mixer with a better pic of the attachment. It’s the same one that I use for making cookies. She calls it a cookie paddle on there. Hope this helps!

5. Debbe says

oops, there’s no such thing for the KitchenAid as a “paddle hook”. It’s either the “paddle” or the “hook”. I think you mean the paddle. Gotta get your terms straight, Jillee, or you leave us confused. A lot of sites make that same mistake, leave us wanting what you think is clear as a bell. A clear pic of the actual attachment you’re using would help, the pic you posted is at a wrong angle to show the attachment. TRULY LOVE YOUR SITE! I’m in here A LOT :)

6. NickyGiGi says

I love this idea of using the paddle on my KitchenAide (my allttime favorite kitchen appliance!) and will pass along corresponding idea. I throw a family pack of boneless chicken breasts in my crockpot with 1/4 c. chicken broth and cook it overnight. The two ideas combines will leave you with a ton of shredded chicken with about 2 minutes worth of effort!

7. Ann says

I use my hand mixer to shred meat like this. I make shredded beef sandwiches, you throw a roast in the crock pot with a little water and Lipton’s Onion Soup mix, I turn it on low cook it all day, come home, get out my hand mixer, stick it in and shred up the beef. Serve it on a hamburger bun. I take this to parties, it is very popular.

All I can say is Oh…….My……..Gosh. Where have you been all my life. Shredding meat is public enemy #1 in my kitchen, and its the only way my family will eat it. All hail Jillee the goddess of the world (bowing and revering).

9. Donna Schmidt says

AMAZING!! THANKS SO MUCH!! My husband prefers shredded chicken for casseroles but it’s such a pain to shred it using the old 2 fork method that I’ve stopped making it! This sounds fabulous!!

10. Jessica says

I discovered this method last year and have never looked back! I will never, EVER shred chicken with a fork again! I also make so many more recipes now that call for shredded chicken, because I know shredding it will be quick and easy!

11. Kelley H says

WOW!!! Why have I never seen this before today?!!! I’m living with intermittent paralysis & weakness so kitchen tasks have become very laborious. Especially shredding chicken! THANK YOU for posting this! I had cooked 4 lbs of chicken in the crock pot today and was dreading the time & energy needed to shred it. Then I read your post…worked PERFECTLY!!! Thanks for making my life easier in the kitchen!! :)

12. Barbara says

Yes, it is the paddle attachment and not the dough hook. Don’t don’t use that. There is no hook on the paddle. Yes, it does the same for pulled pork, beef brisket, or alligator tail. Probably even that possum road kill. Any well-done meat becomes shredded in a mixer. I use my KitchenAid, but whatever you have, try it. When you have to feed a dozen and 4 people, it’s the only way to make chicken salad or shred an entire pork shoulder you’ve smoked. Life is hard enough. This makes one thing very, very easy.

Do it on the SLOWEST SPEED. One person I know whose husband tried to “help” put that KitchenAid into turbo mode and had shredded meat on the ceiling. ‘Nuff said? :-)

13. Tiffany says

I’ve used this method a couple times but I do not have a KitchenAide. My mom gave me her old Sunbeam mixer that she got when she was married… I believe it’s the 75th anniversary edition.. and she got it used as well, so it’s pretty basic. Anywho, it only has two sets of attachments, the dough hooks and the regular mixers. I’ve “shredded” chicken with the regular mixers and only ran into two issues: One, sometimes the large pieces end up on the sides of the bowl and you have to maneuver them back to the mixers and sometimes the tougher bits don’t blend (bits of fatty skin, gristle-y bits, etc..) The other issue I ran into was the shredded chicken getting wrapped up around the mixers, so occasionally you have to stop the mixer to clear them off. Other than that, it’s a great method and is still SOOO much easier than shredding by hand (or fork!) Just make sure you get ALL the bones out as you’re putting the meat into the mixing bowl. Chicken leg quarters occasionally have bits of the spine and the little bones can easily make their way in with the meat if you’re not careful. :)

• Tiffany says

Also, this is great for leftover chicken. My mother in law makes rosemary chicken legs and we shred the leftovers for use in casseroles. Our “follow up” meal usually is shredded rosemary chicken mixed with gravy made from the left over broth, served over egg noodles, with mashed potatoes (also topped with rosemary chicken/gravy) and either corn or green beans. MMM! ^_^

14. Leilah says

I just tried this today (I happen to also be making enchiladas… traditional rolled style) and let me just say this: I LOVE YOU! YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!
    I knew there had to be a better way to shred chicken and I also knew if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be you. And I was right! Thank you so much for this tip!

15. Amy says

This hint saved lots of time and woman hours as I was able to shred enough chicken for 120 gallons of chicken stew in two hours and part of that time was waiting for chicken to cook. This normally takes 2-3 hours of 10 people doing it by hand. It was fun being a hero that night . Lol

16. Traci says

Oh wow! I’m so excited to try this. I’m sure my daughter won’t mind having her most hated “job” taken away when I make my chicken salad and chicken enchiladas. I call it “bonding time”, but I have to admit that I’ve hated shredding also. This will free up time to bond in more fun ways. :)