Make Your Own Moisturizing Body Butter

Moisturizing Body Butter

We are experiencing one of the mildest winters I think we’ve ever had since I moved to Utah from California almost 18 years ago! So WHY, I ask you, am I experiencing the WORST dry skin I’ve ever had in my life this winter?? Answer me that riddler!

While you ponder that oddity of Mother Nature…let me share with you something I made to help combat the problem!  BODY BUTTER!

I admit, I have never used Body Butter before. The thought of rubbing “butter” all over my skin just wasn’t appealing to me.  That was until I saw a picture of a homemade batch that someone had made. It looked so creamy and fluffy I wanted to grab a spoon! And even better…I couldn’t believe how EASY it was to make.

So in light of my seriously itchy, dry skin this winter I decided I must give this stuff a try! And it just so happened that I had all the ingredients on hand because I had ordered them from Amazon.com not long ago with the intention of making my own Lotion (which I still plan on doing.)  But I was so intrigued with this “recipe”, I decided to try it first.

The recipe I used comes from Susan Powers website Rawmazing.com.

Body Butter

1 cup shea butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond oil (you can substitute olive oil, jojoba oil, any organic, liquid oil that is healthy.)

Moisturizing Body Butter

1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.

Moisturizing Body Butter

2. Stir in almond oil and essential oils of your choosing.

Moisturizing Body Butter
Moisturizing Body Butter

I added probably 20 to 25 drops of Lavender oil, but when it was finished it was still
hard to even smell. Next time I will use more.

3. Wait until oils start to partially solidify….

Moisturizing Body Butter
……then whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved. This should only take a few minutes.

Moisturizing Body Butter
Moisturizing Body Butter

4. Place in clean, glass jar and enjoy! A little goes a long way.

Moisturizing Body Butter

So for the last two days I have been using this stuff every chance I get! At first it felt really strange to put on because as soon as it comes in contact with the heat of your skin, it basically melts and feels….well…oily.  Imagine that! lol.  But after working it into my skin for a few seconds, the oily feeling is gone and it just feels smooth and moisturized! If I need to handle something right away after putting it on, I would just wipe off the palms of my hands slightly, just so I didn’t get my cell phone (or whatever) oily.

That is my first experience with Body Butter! Suffice it to say…my body LOVES it!

UPDATE: March 6, 2012
I wanted to just post a short “update” of sorts to this post and reiterate how much I am loving this stuff!  When I first looked at my four jars of this stuff I thought I’m NEVER going to be able to use it all! Like I said above…a little goes a long way when you’re just rubbing it occasionally on your hands, etc.  But lately I have started literally SLATHERING myself with it when I get out of the shower (I probably use a good 1/4 cup!) and then letting it “soak in” while I dry and style my hair and do my make up. By the time I get dressed it’s no longer oily and my skin feels SOOOO soft!!!  Now THAT’S what body butter is supposed to do!  I think. :-)

Facebook1114Twitter0Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Jill Nystul says

Diane…I'm sorry your question has been getting lost in the shuffle!

Good catch there! It is supposed to be shea butter! (Although cocoa butter would be just as good…just has a cocoa smell to it).

I have updated the Amazon link to SHEA BUTTER. Shea butter shouldn't have any smell to it…which would make it better for adding your own essential oil fragrance.

I hope this answers your long-awaited question! :-)

2. Anne-Marie says

The top photo with all the ingredients shows cocoa butter (not shea butter) in the melting pot. Just confirming that it's definitely shea you used for this recipe? I've been looking for a cocoa butter (whipped) that worked like a whipped body butter frosting forever so I would be delighted if you really had used cocoa butter. LOL! =)

I have been experimenting with body butter recipes and this one is amazing.
        It is the perfect consistsncy.
        I did not have coconut oil so i used only shea and cocobutter along with the other oil.
        It came out creamy and wonderful.
        you can buy unscented cocobutter.
        If you use the scented cocobutter you can add a bit of cocoa powder to enhance the chocolate theme adding peppermint or orange essential oil. Super decadant!
        Thank you! I will use this base recipe again and again!

• connie says

You have to be careful with coconut oil. It can dry your skin. I make homemade soap and use cocout oil in it for the lather. Don’t over do it with coconut oil, especially if you have dry, itchy skin.

• Liana says

Coconut oil is only drying AFTER the saponification process has taken place. Its fatty acid profile is actually very close to our won human sebum profile in its natural state which makes it easily absorbed and very emollient.

• Sam says

Thank you Connie. I am trying to moisturize my skin and not make it worse. I am making this in a few days and I can’t wait. I want to make soaps also and if you are willing to converse with me I’m on Facebook Sam McAnally. My pic has red hair a black sweater and glasses and I’m from Kansas. Thanks

• LisaL says

Hi Brie,
            I’ve made this recipe 4 times now. I’ve never used anything other than this basic recipe’s ingredients so far, but I do change my essential oils. I’ve used Bergamot, Lavender, and Grapefruit! I’ve given these as gifts, and every single person has been thrilled with the results. I always tell them I’m happy to make more, just need the jar back! :-D I even asked my massage therapist if he’d use my personal jar of body butter, and he was more than happy to use it. He loves the feeling on his hands too!

Many people suggest using beeswax in that it would cut down on the oily-ness of this recipe. I haven’t tried it, but I wouldn’t mind having options in my body butter. Thanks, Jillee, for posting this!

3. Deborah Jennings says

I have made something similar before, but I use about 2 Capsules of Vitamin E oil in mine, and haven't tried using it with coconut oil. I may just have to try it with that in it. The Vitamin E oil is a sort of preservative.

4. Jill Nystul says

Well Anne-Marie…you should be delighted because while I didn't MEAN to use cocoa butter…lol…I did in fact use cocoa butter. The recipe called for shea butter and I thought that's what I had ordered, but was apparently mistaken. I have since learned that either butter will work…but shea has no smell…unlike cocoa butter…that has a definite chocolate smell…which is fine by me! But might not be for others. So there you go. I hope that helps! :-)

Deborah…I think the Vit E oil is a good idea as a natural preservative.

Ellen…you are very welcome!

• Kimberly Johnson says

I’m a bit confused. You stated that Shea Butter doesn’t have a smell, but it does. It has a nutty, and very specific scent to it. Some people don’t like the smell. When you use Shea butter are you using unrefined or refined?

• Karen says

I love this body butter recipe. I have seriously dry skin and this is now my winter skin Rx. Love how it soaks into the skin after a few minutes so that you don’t feel greasy. And the texture is amazing. Have numerous family members with eczema and psoriasis and they say this works better than prescription creams. One friend has daughters who are competitive swimmers and their feet were so dry and cracked from the chlorine. This body butter healed their feet completely in days. I am allergic to shea butter, so I use a blend of cocoa butter and kokum butter (from Mt Rose Herbs, which has great skin healing properties). For my oil, I use a blend of coconut, avocado and macadamia nut oils because each brings unique fatty acids to the butter. It’s better than anything I’ve ever purchased and I love that all my ingredients are organic and don’t contain chemical additives. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!!!

5. Shelly @A Creative Space says

Oh my goodness! This is a very chatty post! :)
    So, does the recipe make 4 jars? If so, it looks easy enough to make a 1/2 recipe. Good to know that you used Cocoa butter & it worked, because I LOVE that smell! Maybe that is why you had a hard time smelling the lavender – ha, ha!

6. Becca says

Jill- I love coconut oil (use it for everything.) In your recipe, would you replace the shea butter with coconut, then add the remaining oils? I am very excited to try this. Thanks so much for sharing it with us :)

7. Jill Nystul says

lisalwright…I think you could just as easily use olive oil or almond oil for this as well.

Becca…I love coconut oil too! Removing the butter and using only coconut oil might work. I say go for it and let us know! ;-)

8. Amy says

I tried this and it works so well, I'm addicted! But instead of the 1/2c of Almond oil, I tried a 1/2c combo of olive oil, argan oil, 2 Vitamin E capsules, and some cocoa butter, dab of honey with orange essential oil and rosehip essential oil. It smells and feels amazing! Thank you for this recipe :) I have found myself slathering it on too after showers ;)

-Amy

9. Anonymous says

Thanks for the great recipe. What could be used as an alternative to coconut oil (as I'm allergic)? Would it be ok to replace it with more of the vegetable oil or would beeswax be needed for a firmer consistency?

Many thanks, Fran

• Liz F says

I’m also allergic to coconut–I’ve been asking around and it might be just advisable to use cocoa butter and shea butter, and just not coconut oil. If you’re not allergic to palm oil, you could try that instead.

• Karen says

Please suggest something other than vegetable (palm) oil, it’s wiping out oranguatans and even if it says its sustainable ‘vegetable’ oil, it isn’t, and it won’t be traceable until 2020 at least. Surely there is something else besides palm (vegetable) or soy oil that doesn’t destroy the Borneo or Amazon rainforest that could work just the same?

• Julie says

hemp and macadian nut oil are my choices as a coconut oil replacement. I love coconut oil for everywhere else but it clogs the life out of my face. I think the hemp is more sustainable as the cannabis plant matures in about six months if I recall correctly and there are other uses for the plant.

• Lida says

If you go to Mountain Rose Herbs (https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/) you will find a plethora of alternative oils (called carrier oils), with descriptions of their applicability in various recipes and their method of sourcing. Many oils and butters come from some quite conflicted areas, so sustainable sourcing means not just organic, but conflict free and fair trade. Mountain Rose is the only online store for these materials I’ve seen so far that seems to get this.

I made this recipe last year for gifts for family and it received rave reviews. I used unrefined shea butter, meadowfoam oil (a very shelf stable oil which is actually used for farmers as a rotation crop, so it’s otherwise an unused agricultural waste product), and jojoba (also indefinite shelf life, expensive because it takes an absolutely enormous amount of nuts to make each drop, but is so worth it). You could use any combination of carrier oils, actually, and just refine to your particulars—just watch the shelf life as some are much shorter than others. If you’re looking to avoid even the footprint of shipping from overseas, you could find a US source for Safflower or Watermelon Seed Oil, I believe.

• Lida says

Just realized I missed an ingredient above (wish you could edit these)–I did use both shea butter and the solid coconut oil in the same proportions as shown in the recipe above. I just used 1/2 meadowfoam and 1/2 jojoba instead of the almond oil. Sorry about that!

10. Hele says

Have been using this Feb 29th and I absolutely love it. I cannot believe how different my skin had become in just the first few days of use. (even my skeptical husband now uses it on occasion) Finally no rashes because it is all natural. I didn't have EO at the time but got used to the scent right away. I have given small amounts to friends to try and they are all hooked and have asked for the recipe. Thank you for all the wonderful things you post!!

11. Jill Nystul says

This recipe made enough to fill the four small jars you see in the pictures above. :-)

Fran…you could substitute Palm Kernel oil for the coconut oil….or just take out the coconut oil and use more shea or cocoa butter.

• Beth Mason says

Can you use BPA free plastic containers instead of glass jars? I made this lotion for myself a few months ago and its wonderful. I want to make a batch and put into little 2 ounce plastic containers to give as a party favor at a bridal shower.

12. Amanda Collins says

I’ve been looking to replace my massage cream for work, with something with very few ingredients, that isn’t about sixty dollars a gallon.. I already use almond oil for an alternative to cream, and I have coconut oil, so all I have to do now is find some shea butter at the health foods store and I’m set! Hope this works as a replacement! If not, I’m sure I can find a use for body butter, ;o) .. Thanks!

• Tonya says

I’ve already made 2 half batches of this, both with different scents ( one with a Bergamot lavender ess. oil mix, the other with sweet orange, vanilla and ylang ylang mix). I use is on my face when it’s feeling extra dry or at night, body and in my hair when my hair is feeling extra dry ( I have super curly hair).
      I’m totally in love with this recipe.

Coconut oil has a very long shelf life… 7-10 years. IF you are worried about it, use some natural preservatives, the one I like best is Rosemary Seed Extract. It takes only a few drops for a 16 ounce container and you can add it with the essential oils after it has cooled.

• Lida says

It depends on the oils and butters you use. Of the ones listed above in the recipe, Almond Oil has the shortest shelf life (about a year). You could substitute it out for a more shelf stable oil, or you could use a preservative like Phenonip or Germanben to ensure it stays stable for a longer time. It only takes a few drops of either, and is far preferable to having something growing in the container, though I believe that since this recipe does not have water or any milk products as an ingredient you’ll only be limited by the lifespan of the ingredients themselves. Just make sure you thoroughly sterilize and dry any and all implements you use in its creation, and the containers you plan to put it in. (The Phenonip and Germanben can also help here if you aren’t sure you can get your materials thoroughly sterile.)

13. Lisa says

Question: Which Shea butter are you using. I use Amazon as well for many things but reading all the reviews on Shea butter, wow, a lot of unhappy people. Wondering which you used.

• Shalora says

I would not think so. You don’t want more than 25% of the recipe to be liquid, otherwise you’ll have a liquidy mess instead of fluffy body butter. I’d look for coconut in solid form or use some other solid oil. Cocoa butter would probably smell amazing. ;) Maybe with peppermint essential oil, since everyone knows peppermint and chocolate are awesome together…

14. JoAnna says

I made this last night, didn’t totally follow directions on accident and it failed! It is still a liquid this am. Anyone know how to save it?! I added the olive oil while it was melting, of course it was too late to remove that part. I was hoping to make this for mother’s day gifts, but not now!

• Shalora says

You shouldn’t boil it! Boiling oils can be dangerous, and there’s no point in destroying the nutrients in the oils. Just get it warm enough to melt and then take it off the heat.

15. robyn says

This recipe looks great! I’ve been using plain coconut oil on my skin, but would love to make something like this instead. I can’t quite tell from the directions or photos, but it looks like you’re using a stand mixer to whip. Do you think it can be done with something else? I have a stick blender, blender and hand mixer, but no stand mixer.

16. Dana says

To get your lavender EO scent to be stronger, don’t add it when the mixture is hot. Wait until you start to whip it and the scent should have a stronger staying power. :) Trying this tonight and using cocoa butter instead of coconut oil (because I ran out), and added a little beeswax because I have to ship it in 85 deg. weather.

17. Rindy says

Try to melt the coconut oil and/or cocoa butter first. Then add the shea and let it melt. Then add the liquid oils. This is because shea can get grainy if heated too much.

If your mixture is too runny, you may have used Fractionated Coconut Oil. That is an absolutely lovely oil (especially for massages!), but not for this recipe. Regular coconut oil is very solid at room temperature. Fractionated has had the solids removed, and is a nice light oil.

Shea definitely does have a scent — if you buy the unrefined. It’s supposedly much better for you since all the good natural stuff is left in. I’m not sure how true this is, but if you don’t want a smell, get the refined shea.

Not all the butters & oils can be substituted for each other. For example, if you have no shea butter, you can’t substitute almond oil. The rough formula for any whipped butter is 1/3 hard oil or butter, 1/3 brittle oil/butter, 1/3 liquid oil.

Jojoba is a good choice for the liquid oil, as it is close to the natural skin oils.

Lanolin is a good choice for very dry skin. It’s not vegan, but it’s lovely; like nature’s Vaseline, haha. Use it in place of part of the liquid oil.

Tea tree oil can help heal damaged skin, but for it to work, it needs to be at least 5% of anything it’s in. A few drops just won’t work.

18. Rindy says

Oh, I forgot to mention one more thing…

A small amount of cornstarch or tapioca powder in the recipe can help cut the greasy feeling.

Ok maybe just ONE more thing…

For extremely hard, dry, cracked hands or feet: Be sure to include the lanolin, apply the body butter at night, and use a lot of it. Then cover your hands or feet with cotton gloves or socks, and keep them on until morning. Cotton gloves can be found online and at camera supply stores.

Alright, I swear this is the VERY LAST THING…

If you can get ahold of Allantoin, you can add it at up to a 2% rate once the mixture has cooled a bit. It is not a 100% natural ingredient but it is made of natural ingredients. It is FDA approved to help heal irritated or wounded skin (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/CDER/UCM135688.pdf). You can buy it at http://www.soapgoods.com or http://www.amazon.com.

19. R. Carr says

I find it very interesting that so many people are beginning to realize the benefits of using body butters. However, my experience as a cosmetic chemist tells me that consumer interest in (simple skin care products) tends to start off as a hot trend but will eventually platue because consumer preferences eventually change. This is especially true how people want their skin care products to perform. Now, don’t get me wrong kitchen body butters are great for moisturization, but they are also greasy, can stain your clothes and can often times go rancid if the butter is not properly sealed for long term storage. I just think it is important for consumers to remember that the performance and the shelf life of any commercial skin care product is typically designed around the consumer’s demand for products that work, are versatile and can last a long time. Oh! I bet you’re thinking I forgot the mention affordability right? Affordability is definitely important. It is so important during these times of economic uncertainty many people have chosen to experiment with basic unrefined products that perform well but do not last long enough to give the consumer the assurance they have “got their monies worth” for their efforts of making the product.
    Its not that I believe people are generally not intelligent enough to optimize these simple products on their own. I just think many people don’t have the time necessary to optimize these simple products with our busy lives. I applaud people who basically have the free time to devote to this effort which is very time consuming, especially when trying to research and experiment with combinations of natural ingredients. Cosmetic labs and skin care manufacturers spend a lot of time, money and effort researching the best ingredients and preservatives to help products like body butters moisturize longer, absorb faster, and have an extended shelf life. I know the industry is not perfect and there are a lot of products out there that contain ingredients and preservatives that people don’t want such as parabens, ethoxylated emulsifiers, and antimicrobials that form formaldehydes. Some industry leaders are making skin care products that address consumer’s concerns about making products that stay as close to natural and certified organic as possible and some of these products fairly expensive. In closing I just want to say making simple skin care products can be fun and even educational. However, as consumers we must remember that not every simple product we cook up in the kitchen is capable of performing to our changing expectations for products that have extended shelf life, and perform well. In the long run it may not be worth making certain products (especially those that have a high potential to grow microbes due to high water content) just because the ingredients appear simple to make and are affordable. Safe cooking to all you budding cosmetic chemists! PS. History teaches us that nearly all early cosmetics giants such as Este Lauder invented their first products in the kitchen.

• j.moceri says

R. Carr I’ve seen you & many like you, obviously roaming homemade beauty product blogs, patronizingly trying to persuade us from making our own cosmetics because, after all, we dont know what we’re doing, e.g., it all costs too much, too time consuming, we’re not chemists, & gosh, COMMERCIAL cosmetics companies are really the experts on all this so just leave it to us. Unfortunately for your industry the genie is out of the bottle, women are actually reading the ingredients, & now know all the fillers, & junk the industry puts into their stuff. Funny that these blogs are so threatening to the commercial industry…seems we’re on to something.

• Amanda says

R. Carr,
      Was this post really necessary? I mean, why be a buzz kill? Making my own body products is something I do for fun, and I enjoy being able to customize everything to my liking. I find your comment offensive in that you are attempting to discourage myself and everyone else from making our own products, and insinuating that we are simply not capable enough to make something worthwhile. It’s kind of rude.

ANYWAY,
      I’m just waiting for the shea butter in the mail, can’t wait to try it :)

• WEve says

” History teaches us that nearly all early cosmetics giants such as Este Lauder invented their first products in the kitchen.” What a bizarre PS. After discouraging everyone, telling us what me make is never going to be as good as a big corporation. You add this, do you think if Este had let everyone tell them just exactly what you told us and listened they would have ever have becom what they did? Do you think that since they are already out there no one else could possible lean and become the next success story?? What a limited mind you must have.

• Patsy says

A lot of these so called “NEW” homemade recipes are NOT new. Some have been around years, decades and even centuries. People got brainwashed into believing consumer products were better and lets face it, a lot of people just got too lazy to make their own products. Companies took advantage of peoples laziness and have made fortunes selling products that were NOT necessarily good for us or our skin with all the chemicals they put in them. NOW people are finally realizing that convenience does not always mean its good or healthy for you and your body. People are finally realizing that everyday household products we have on hand or can easily purchase can and will make a lot of our beauty products we pay and arm and a leg for, with the added benefits of being all natural and easily much more affordable. I don’t know about anyone else but I am convinced that a lot of the products we consume or apply to our body is what makes us sick most of the time. They are loaded with chemicals that were never meant for human consumption, internally or externally. I’ll stick to good old fashioned homemade as long as I can make it or use all natural products over chemical laden junk any day.

• melissa says

Cosmetic companies push products as anti aging, ultra moisturizing, etc., but there are a lot of ingredients used, even in sensative skin products that can be irritating. I recently started using a Rx product that is retin-a and my Dr. told me to use nothing that has aha’s or any anti aging properties because the chemicals used could add irritation to my skin as well as interfere with my med. I looked and looked and it is hard to find products that are just moisturizing. The ones I did find were 60.00 a jar and more. Even then they had ingredients like alcohol in them that still burned my face. That’s why I decided to make my own. Much more cost effective, I control what’s in it so I can make it pure moisture, and does not burn or irritate my face. All those extra properties you talk about are not always good. They can be a Problem.
      So for me, homemade is the best option. My skin is doing so much better since doing so. We do know what’s best for ourselves, not some stranger

20. Susanne says

I made and have been using this recipe about a month now. I used Jojoba oil instead of the almond oil and I love it! It is rich, and I find it better to use after showing or at night. The results on my skin have been wonderful, I even use it on my face, then do a little blotting before I apply my makeup. I don’t know if it is wishful thinking, but I am noticing a significant reduction in wrinkly skin and fine lines and wrinkles on my face and body, but I have also noticed that my “age” spots are also fading! I was wondering what product in this recipe contributes to that? Thanks!

21. Nicole says

Hi everyone! Just made this recipe and I am seriously in love with it!! The only question I have is in regard to storage: is this best stored in a cabinet that is cool/room temp, or is it best stored in the refrigerator? Thanks everyone for sharing!!!

22. Ela Sophia says

Hello! I’m from Ecuador, South America and I’m trying to make my own body butter too! Your recipe looks easy enough. I have two questions. First, I can’t find shea butter anywhere. Is it okay to use the cocoa butter instead? Also, I bought the coconut oil. But mine is in liquid state, not a solid as yours. I don’t know if there is any difference? Or is it just because of the weather? Thank you so much!

• Amy says

Ela,
      What a beautiful name. I am from Nebraska, USA and just recently started ordering coconut oil off of Amazon. Anyways to answer your question coconut oil is liquid in the heat and solid in the cold and safe to use either way. In Nebraska I have the best of both worlds, hot and cold. Any way if you wants it to go solid just put it in the refrigerator for a while. I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but I plan to as soon as I get some shea butter. Good Luck!

23. Shari says

Just an FYI, Vitamin E is not a preservative. Viitamin E is an antioxidant but will not preserve this lotion. Don’t keep it too long as it can and probably become subjected to germs from your hands and any water in the cream will also cause problems with mold and other ickies….I make body products and if you do a search you will find this information. Unfortunately there are no natural preservatives out there. As long as you are using this only for you and your family and not selling you are fine.

• Betsy R says

Yes, Vitamin E is an antioxidant, which, by definition, inhibits oxygenation. It inhibits ‘oxygen using’ bacteria, mold, or fungi, and is considered an antimicrobial preservative. I still wouldn’t rely on it to prevent all ickies, as some ickies don’t give a hoot about oxygen, but it should theoretically help in the short term. Me? I always try to add some.

24. Jill S. says

My curiousity as with websites and the background colors I tend to get headaches and wasn’t able to read all the comments. Unfortunately for me, my allergies stretch into coconut oil and a few of the others. Which would be safe but give me the same sort of healthy properties. I am unable to order shea butter, but i’m working with a small budget. Any pointers?

25. Hope says

So I’m wondering…what happens if you add body spray to this mixture in place of the essential oil? I have bottles of spray from Bath & Body Works as well as Victoria Secret….

• lady says

you are defeating the purpose of having an organic homemade lotion by adding a manfactured product that has harsh ingredients. you might as well just buy the victorias secret lotion and use that if you want to add it in anyhow.

• Shalora says

From the phrasing, it sounds like the OP just has some bottles of the stuff around and wants to use it.

Also, why would simply adding some “harsh chemical” fragrance mean that someone can’t still make the base product? Making it is a FRACTION of the cost of buying it, and frankly I have never liked store-bought body butters. I find them either too solid to get out of the container, or waaaaaay too oily. This one is perfect. So what, are you going to tell me that OMG I CAN’T MAKE ANY if I happen to use some of the soap making fragrances that I can’t use anymore now that I do hot process soap? Geez. Get off your jugemental high horse and stop telling people that they shouldn’t bother making their own products at all if they aren’t going to do it “perfectly”.

26. whywait4life says

I tried making this recipe for my daughter who has severe dermatitis over 99% of her body. We’ve tried so many medications and creams etc and it’s just not getting us anywhere. I’ve decided to go natural on her for now and see if that will help. I had high hopes for this butter, but when we mixed it we were only able to get it to solidify the first time. When I then whipped it after that it never firmed up or became like butter. It’s been days, as I read other comments that said to let it sit for awhile. It’s still separated and runny. Any ideas? I did use Shea butter instead of cocoa butter and may try the latter next time.

Stick it in the fridge for a while. Coconut oil is liquid over 76 degrees, so that can make a difference…I see that your post was from July, so hot weather may be the culprit. If you still can’t get it solidify, try adding a little beeswax in your next batch or use equal amounts of shea and cocoa butter.

27. MsMini says

I am familiar with shea butter and ususallly use it in its natural form. I’m about to try this recipe but before I do I was wondering how long this will it keep. Also what’s the best way to store to prolong the shelf life

28. Lex says

I made this recipe yesterday, and stuck it in the fridge to let it firm up, then promptly forgot about it. Just now, I nuked it for 30 seconds, where it softened but did not liquify. I tried to whip it, but it’s just as liquidy as before I stuck it in the fridge. Does it need to be firmer than I think to successfully whip it?

29. aubs says

I followed the recipe, but I might have screwed up and used palerms shea butter and a semi-solid coconut oil……..any chance this will still work? It is cooling right now in the fridge!

30. Leslie says

Made this a few days ago using shea & coconut oil melted and then added jojoba oil, a tsp argan oil, a several drops of lavender. Put in fridge to firm up before putting in stand mixer (if you don’t have one of these, *highly* recommend adding to your wish or save-up-for list–never thought I needed one until received as a gift haha!) It whipped into four cups butter and gave one cup to my daughter to try. It’s a little greasy (important to massage in?) but absorbs after a while and does a great job trapping moisture after a shower. Only thing or me right now is the hot summer temps make it very soft. Probably be a nicer texture once it cools off … for now I keep it in the fridge and take out before showering to warm. Love that I made it at home and no unpronounceable ingredients … not to mention cost! As I get older (in my 50s) and get inundated by ads to cover age, I find lots of manufactured products have ingredients that cause more problems than they fix. Other than the inevitable lines, my skin has never been better now that I’m eating healthy (what one eats shows up on the skin) and using back to basics skin care.

31. Hope C. says

Made this recipe a while back. Gave a bit to some pregnant friends and a woman who would later get a nasty sunburn. The pregnant ladies SWEAR it reduces their stretch marks, and the sun burn lady says that it helped her not to peel and keep her brown color.

i just like the consistency and how it makes my skin all glowy!

i recommend LITTLE bit after the shower. let it soak in and then pat dry. sooooo nice…

1. […] Body Lotion (or Body Butter) – I made it for myself about a month before Christmas to try it out.  And, I have to say I really enjoyed using it!  It seems a little greasy at first, but it quickly absorbs into your skin.  It uses shea butter, which is great for your skin, and I added some On Guard essential oil which makes it smell great, but is also antibacterial. […]