Monday, May 14, 2012

Homemade Foot Soak and Detox

Foot Detox

OK….now I am going to write about what I originally sat down yesterday to write about!  Didn’t quite work out that way. My head and my heart had other things to say apparently. :-) But now that I’ve got that out of my system……I can post about the amazing foot soak that saved my feet on Saturday!

Saturday was a C R A Z Y day!!!  I was on my feet ALL DAY LONG!  First I helped in the kitchen at a funeral luncheon for over 2 hours….then I ran home…changed clothes and hit the road to do a million and one errands in preparation for a Mother’s Day Rib Fest I was hosting on Sunday for 25 people!

First I went to Costco. Have you ever been to Costco on the SATURDAY BEFORE MOTHER’S DAY???????????  Oh my……..I hardly have words to describe it. lol.  Best word I can come up with (which hardly does it justice) is MADHOUSE.  I have a hard enough time going to Costco on a run-of-the-mill day because I am so easily distracted by all the “stuff” there!  But Saturday was RIDICULOUS.  I didn’t intend on staying very long….I was only there to buy ribs…but it took me WAY longer than intended fighting the massive crush of humanity. :-)

Next stop….Target. (Funny, I still pronounce it “tar-ZHAY” in my head ever since I lived in Bismarck, ND and the only ‘fancy’ shopping we had there was “tar-ZHAY” and “zhay-CEE-pen-NAY”!) Here I was looking for a couple of grill accessories for the hubster and some stacking chairs for extra seating for the backyard bbq.  Struck out on both fronts….but was so distracted by the complete RE-design of the store since the LAST time I was there…that once again….I spent WAY longer there than I planned on.  Darn you “tar-ZHAY”!

Since I struck out at Target…my adventure continued…

I reconsidered my options and decided to make one more stop at Home Depot. I imagine that right about now you are thinking…”that Jillee is a CRAZY person! Who goes to Costco, Target AND Home Depot in one afternoon?  Let alone on the Saturday before Mother’s Day!?!?”  In hindsight, I would have to completely agree with that line of thinking. :-) While I was eventually successful at finding what I needed at Home Depot….that place is so humongous that I was EXHAUSTED by the time I dragged myself and my overloaded cart out to my car.

By the time I got home (it’s a half hour drive from the “big city” to my town)…it was 6:30pm and the hubster was patiently waiting to help me with the flower planting I wanted to do before the get-together the next day. We ended up digging, planting and mulching flower beds until about 9:30pm. (Yes, I was watering in the dark!) Of course we were STARVING when we were done because we hadn’t stopped for dinner…so I threw some of the salmon that No. 1 son had bought me for an early Mother’s Day present (love that boy!) on the grill and the hubster and I sat down to eat at about 10pm.

Foot Detox

It felt GREAT to finally sit down and relax….but MAN….my “dogs were yappin’!”  (MY FEET HURT!)  I knew I still had some computer work ahead of me so I decided that I would mix up some of this foot soak by April at An Apple A Day Wisdom and soak my feet while I worked.

If it had been the LEAST bit difficult or taxing to make….I would not have even attempted it at that point. I was pretty much at the end of my rope.  But, it was SO EASY to throw together….and it was definitely worth the tiny bit of effort.

Here is all I did:

I took a big 1/2 gallon Mason jar (aren’t these the coolest?  My sister found them at her Ace Hardware in Wyoming!  I’ve never seen them around here anywhere!)…..dumped in 1 cup of Epsom Salt, 1 cup of Sea Salt, 2 cups of Baking Soda, and several drops of Lavender essential oil….put the top on and shook it up!  I then took 1/4 cup of the mixture….added it to a plastic dish pan filled with the hottest water I thought my feet could stand….and proceeded to soak my tired, aching feet!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………what a pleasant experience and what a wonderful way to end a particularly stressful day. :-)

Foot Detox

P.S. This is actually a “recipe” for a Foot DETOX so I have included the other instructions from An Apple A Day Wisdom

“The ions in the salt work as magnets to draw toxins through the skin of your feet out of your body into the foot soak water.

After the thirty minutes are up, dry feet then wash with warm soapy water, dry again then brush the bottoms of feet with a natural fiber foot brush. Only use 100% aloe vera after you are finished. Lotions with additives will leech impurities back into your system after a foot detox.

This detox should be done daily for one week. Then twice a week for 30 days. Then once a week for regular maintenance.”

I personally was just happy to soak my feet in this solution. It really did do wonders for my tired, aching feet….but if it got rid of some impurities at the same time…then I say RIGHT ON! ;-)

A couple of GREAT additions from comments below:

Charon May 14, 2012 at 6:26 am

• Try putting some peppermint, basil and rosemary essential oils in as well. The peppermint is cooling, the basil is warming and the rosemary is anti-viral/anti-fungal!

Jamie May 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

• Add marbles into your container and roll your feet over them for a massage. Works great!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

75 thoughts on “Homemade Foot Soak and Detox

1. Sandy

I was just thinking about how my feet were aching and when the boy goes down for a nap I want to soak the “dogs”. I don’t have sea salt, only regular or kosher to put with the Epson salt. do you think either of these will work? I just bought a really cute jar from Walmart that will be perfect for this foot soak!!

1. Jim

While watching Food Network I found that ALL salt is sea salt, so any salt will work!
        And yes sometimes us guys want to indulge and soak our feet! Of course after I make it up for my wife, I might be a little crazy, but not stupid (LOL!)

1. Rachel Ramey

Well, yes – and no. The white salt you get at the grocery store has had most of the minerals removed. (They sell them for the supplement industry and table salt is actually the byproduct.) So they’re not exactly the same thing, from a health standpoint. True “sea salt” (not the stuff labeled “sea salt” on the salt aisle of the grocery store that’s still white and free-flowing but that they charge you more for because they’ve labeled it differently) is full of trace minerals that are good for you (and balances out the sodium, if you’re eating it)!

2. Gisela

Actually not all salt is sea salt….Sea salt is produced through evaporation of ocean water or water from saltwater lakes, usually with little processing. Depending on the water source, this leaves behind certain trace minerals and elements. The minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is typically mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid.

2. Charon

Try putting some peppermint, basil and rosemary essential oils in as well. The peppermint is cooling, the basil is warming and the rosemary is anti-viral/anti-fungal!

1. Darlene

I also put mint and rosemary in this mixture, however I minced up the the herbs and added them. I also added some lavender to the mixture. Such a nice soak anyway you mix it up!!!

3. Melissa

Target usually carries the 1/2 gallon Mason Jars around canning season (Augustish). My store only seems to carry a few each year though.

4. Kim

I just have to say I’m most impressed with the fact that you made the effort to make a proper dinner at the end of your day. I’d have just been cramming whatever junk I could find in the cupboard in my mouth by that time.
    I can’t wait to try this foot soak. This would have been great to include in your post full of teacher gifts!

5. EmilyM

This foot soak recipe has come at a perfect time for me! I spent a lovely Mother’s Day afternoon yesterday with my husband and kiddos going for a 5.5 mile hike…it was so much fun, but my feet are a little tired today! Can’t wait to soak my feet after my kids are in bed tonight!

1. Jillee Post author

Jodi…you’re so daft! ;-) J/K!

According to April at Apple A Day Wisdom…..The ions in the salt work as magnets to draw toxins through the skin of your feet out of your body into the foot soak water.

Hope this helps.

6. jkincolorado

This sounds divine!! I can’t wait to try it out. Would it be counter-productive to the detox to drink wine while soaking?!!? :)

7. Christine

I get the 1/2 gallon mason jars at IFA stores. I’ve purchased them at the Salt Lake store and the Riverton store so I bet they carry them at all locations. They are the best size jars.

1. Kristen T

I used half Lavender and half Peppermint Epsom Salts since I had a little of each on hand but in the future I will just add essential oils.

8. Pam

Love this post…will be putting together my “Soak” this afternoon.
    If you live anywhere near a “Wally-World”, you can purchase any size and number of mason jars.

9. Lyda Loehring

You really need to write a book with all these receipes…..I would make it my bible…..and I know others would too…. I love every thing I’ve tried…..

1. Brynn

definately! even one of the do-it-yourself sort of bindings found on classroom and small church cookbooks i would pay money for, especialy with all the savings the book would give me!

1. Anon

I agree! I have spent ALL of my free time the past few days reading, copying, and pasting practically your entire site into word docs. I have one for skin care, one for cleaning supplies, and one for laundry so far. I planned on printing these and mailing them to my mom since she doesn’t have internet access, and is on a tight budget. I also plan on printing these for myself and posting them above the washer/dryer, inside a cabinet in the kitchen, etc. I have also been trying the “recipes” on here, and so far I haven’t run across one that I don’t like. A book would be AWESOME!

10. Martyna

You can buy Mason jars at Smith’s Marketplace, at least the one by my house near the REI. The Dan’s on Wasatch by Mt. Olympus also sells them.

11. Emily

I work at Costco and 8 hours on a busy Saturday (or Sunday) like the one you described is torture on the feet (and nerves). I’m definitely going to try this, maybe it’ll help the blisters my shoes gave me before I have to work this weekend!

1. Erin

Hi I have tried a solution like this in a foot massager. If the mixture is put in just as is then add water it will clog the system. I found that if I put the mixture in a jar with Super hot water and dissolve then add it to warm water in the machine it works just fine. Just a quick extra step. Good luck and Enjoy

12. Charlotte Besaw

Holy cow, was this post ever timely! I love all your creative diy ideas, and this one was just as terrific as ever. I had worked a craft show all weekend and came home only to keep on going! This worked wonderfully, with hubby and I soaking together before bed. My feet feel great today, and yesterday, they were swollen and sore. I think this might be a nightly thing for a while! Thanks, Jillee!

13. Jessica

I think a full body bath in this would feel great!! i’ve been on my feet all day using your home-made shower cleaner on everything in my home i can imagine, FYI!!! It’s great on the underside of the kitchen stove hoodrange! melts away the grease just like soap scum didn’t even need to scrub and it was a yr since i cleaned it or more. I just had a baby in feb, and i had a very complicated bed ridden pregnancy. I dont use nearly the amount of of Dawn as you either and it still works wonders : )

14. Pingback: Lehigh County breaks ground on detox center in Salisbury Township

15. Kristin

My mother, who is a BIG FAN of your site, loves to test her homemade discoveries out on me. But I have to say, this was most definitely one of my favorite times to be her guinea pig! I have a 5 week old and a 16 month old (my life involves a lot of CoFfEe). What a way to recharge my battery! She added peppermint oil which smelled wonderful and made my feet icy. I only wish I had found this recipe while pregnant! Thanks so much!

16. Tori

This would be great with lavender or tea tree oil mixed in too, I bet :) I LOVE tea tree oil. And of course, lavender is soothing. It would be great to use before bed after a long day at work.

17. Amy

Had to run a bunch of errands on top of cleaning like a mad woman all morning. So I picked up the one ingredient I was missing. Mixed up a jar of this quickly. Can’t wait to try it after the kids are tucked in tonight! Thanks for the idea! Love your site!

18. Nora

If you’re not using a ton of the these larger jars, you can get them at Michaels…the one on Riverdale carried up to a 1 gallon size…over in the glassware with the candles & vases…

Tea Tree oil, if you can stand the smell, is anti-fungal/anti-bacterial/anti-viral too…just a few drops will do. Grapeseed oil is lightweight, quick absorbing & won’t un-do the detox effects of the soak if you can’t get your hands on organic aloe (added benefit: it’s cheaper than aloe, too – a 2oz bottle of organic aloe is about $3 at the health food store, you can get 16oz of grapeseed oil for just a couple bucks more).

19. Carol C

Hobby Lobby also carries the 1/2 gallon jars. Use your 40% coupon and they are a good deal.
    Cant wait to try this. Will make 1/2 batch with different dried herbs and iols.
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

20. Pingback: My Top Ten Repurposed Household Containers | One Good Thing by Jillee

21. M E

I got a foot soak recipe from a podiatrist and it is also wonderful. 1 quart warm water, 1 tablespoon of salt or epsom salt, 1/2 cup white vinegar. If you look online, there is plenty of info on holistic sites about the benefits of using vinegar as an anti-fungal, etc for feet. As for the adding the dollar store lavender scent – I wouldn’t. When you soak your feet, you are opening the pores. When you have unnatural chemicals in the water, your body will absorb them. Instead of detoxifying, you will be toxifying! Get natural essence oils from a store selling homeopathic remedies or chop up your own mint or lavender plant bits, but skip the fake stuff.

22. Jessica

Typing as my feet are soaking. It. Feels. AWESOME!!! I threw some peppermint oil and rosemary in. THANK YOU for sharing!!!! Perfect way to end a long week.

23. Alison

Does anyone know if this would be safe for a pregnant woman? One of my sons teachers is pregnant and I planned to make ‘body care’ baskets (foot detox, hand scrub, body scrub, etc.) for Christmas.

24. Pingback: 30 Blogs with Spa Treatments You Can Do on a Dime at Home - Become A Nanny

25. Pingback: 30 Blogs with Spa Treatments You Can Do on a Dime at Home | Living better at 50+| Online Womens Magazine

26. Pingback: A Special Treat For Tired Feet: Make Your Own Peppermint Foot Rub! | One Good Thing by Jillee

27. Laurie S

Thank you for sharing this. I put together some for my kids for an extra Christmas gift, they both work jobs where they are standing the whole time. They were very surprised and happy to get it.

Now to make the peppermint foot rub!

Thanks again.

28. CTY

Ohhh my puppies thank you. I know this was posted a while ago- but maybe the info could be a help.
    Avon has sold at different times an inflatable foot bath (probably a seasonal promotion). I used mine when traveling, after a day of touring or working a conference, I would come back to the room and soak. Next time I’ll just have to stop off at a drug store before checking in.
    Also–I get my 1/2 gal jars from Ace Hardware–you can order them online and pick them up at your local store and avoid shipping. Shipping to the store is also better because if any come broken, you don’t have to deal with the return.

29. Hollie

I made some of this in Jan. for baby shower favors. I put tiny baby feet in blue and tinted it blue with a few drops of food coloring. I hadn’t seen the recipe but have read enough to have an idea. I also added ground oatmeal- just a little. Ahhhh…. wonderful. I used lavender, mint and eucalyptus. I used kosher, & sea salt. I didn’t have any epson but I made a pocorn tin full; so I plan on adding it to my ample left-overs. I also added to my stash rock salt; in away it is like te marbles.

30. Pingback: Do It Yourself: 50 Household Items You Can Make Homemade « Cozy Little Houses

31. LaDonna

I just found your site and enjoyed the foot bath detox this afternoon. And plan to do it on a more consistent basis. Thank you for sharing!
    I live close to Bismarck, ND, so it was neat to see you mention that.

32. Buy Nuvocleanse

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am happy to express that I’ve a very just
    right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I most unquestionably will make sure to don?
    t disregard this site and provides it a look regularly.

33. Lee

I just pinned this to my pintrest board. I hope this is ok. I am willing to remove this pin should it violate something I don’t know about. Thanks for the info!

34. Vennie Chiapetti

If the pain persists after a full night’s rest, continues or gets worse, stops you from getting through the day or doing something you enjoy, have a doctor take a look at it. It could be a sign of tendon problems, arthritis in the foot or ankle, or a stress fracture. ;-.:

Warm regards
    <http://caramoanpackage.com/index.php

35. Karen

I just tried this and it was amazing! I have also just harvested a couple rose bushes of its petals and added the fresh rose petals to the tub as the hot water filled it up. Fabulous!

Great recipes and thanks for the lead on Apple a day wisdom!

36. Pingback: DIY Homemade Foot Soak and Detox | Smart Healthy You