It doesn’t happen TOO often around here…but once in awhile the bananas that I buy for smoothies and to put on top of cereal, or just for eating, end up looking like this. :-(
Now this isn’t a COMPLETE loss if you like banana bread…which we DO! But more times than not…I have good intentions to make banana bread with overripe bananas…but rarely ever get around to it.
But thanks to Lindsay at Artsy Fartsy Mama…I doubt we will ever toss another overripe banana in this house! Her recipe for “Easy Banana Bread” is, well, SO EASY! And yummy!
I was so taken with this idea…that I even made it with the chocolate chips, which I’ve never done before. I have nothing against chocolate chips mind you! I’ve just always made banana bread the way my Mom made it….no nuts, no chocolate chips….just bananas.
Shortcut Banana Bread
adapted from Artsy Fartsy Mama
- (1) yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 overripe bananas
- (Optional) 1 cup chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
Add all ingredients to a large bowl (or stand mixer) and mix well. Fill two small, greased loaf pans, or one large loaf pan.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes (bake longer if using larger loaf pan)
That’s it! In less than 50 words you have the entire recipe!
Right after I put this in the oven the house began to smell WONDERFUL! Right after I took it OUT of the oven….I had people coming out of the woodwork of my house wanting a piece! As a matter of fact I was hard-pressed to get some pictures of the finished product before it was consumed!
But I did manage to get a few……
Here are a few HELPFUL HINTS for baking a lovely loaf of this beautiful banana bread!
- Toss the chocolate chips in a little bit of flour before adding to the batter. This will help keep the chips from sinking to the bottom of the pan!
- Freeze overripe bananas until you have enough to make a loaf. Just throw them in a plastic baggie, peel and all! Thaw when ready to use.
- Another tip for freezing overripe bananas is to put the bananas in zip lock bag and smash the banana inside the bag. Mush the bag until it’s flat, and freeze it that way. Makes thawing fast and easy!
- Make it gluten-free with a gluten-free yellow cake mix…or sugar-free with a sugar-free yellow cake mix and sugar-free chocolate chips!
- Bake in muffin pans, mini-muffin pans, or a bundt pan for something a little different!
- Substitute half of the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips to make an “Elvis Banana Bread”. :-)
- Can’t eat it all at once? (Like us!) Freeze the second loaf. It defrosts beautifully.
Got overripe bananas??? Then what are you waiting for??? :-)