Simple 3-Ingredient Banana Bread {Including The Bananas!}

It doesn’t happen TOO often around here…but once in awhile the bananas that I buy for smoothies and to put on top of cereal, or  just for eating, end up looking like this. :-(

Now this isn’t a COMPLETE loss if you like banana bread…which we DO! But more times than not…I have good intentions to make banana bread with overripe bananas…but rarely ever get around to it.

But thanks to Lindsay at Artsy Fartsy Mama…I doubt we will ever toss another overripe banana in this house! Her recipe for “Easy Banana Bread” is, well, SO EASY! And yummy!

I was so taken with this idea…that I even made it with the chocolate chips, which I’ve never done before. I have nothing against chocolate chips mind you! I’ve just always made banana bread the way my Mom made it….no nuts, no chocolate chips….just bananas.

Shortcut Banana Bread

adapted from Artsy Fartsy Mama

• (1) yellow cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 3-4 overripe bananas
  • (Optional) 1 cup chocolate chips, nuts, etc.

Add all ingredients to a large bowl (or stand mixer) and mix well. Fill two small, greased loaf pans, or one large loaf pan.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes (bake longer if using larger loaf pan)

banana bread
banana bread

That’s it! In less than 50 words you have the entire recipe!

Right after I put this in the oven the house began to smell WONDERFUL! Right after I took it OUT of the oven….I had people coming out of the woodwork of my house wanting a piece! As a matter of fact I was hard-pressed to get some pictures of the finished product before it was consumed!

But I did manage to get a few……

banana bread
banana bread

Here are a few HELPFUL HINTS for baking a lovely loaf of this beautiful banana bread!

• Toss the chocolate chips in a little bit of flour before adding to the batter. This will help keep the chips from sinking to the bottom of the pan!

banana bread

• Freeze overripe bananas until you have enough to make a loaf. Just throw them in a plastic baggie, peel and all! Thaw when ready to use.
  • Another tip for freezing overripe bananas is to put the bananas in zip lock bag and smash the banana inside the bag. Mush the bag until it’s flat, and freeze it that way. Makes thawing fast and easy!
  • Make it gluten-free with a gluten-free yellow cake mix…or sugar-free with a sugar-free yellow cake mix and sugar-free chocolate chips!
  • Bake in muffin pans, mini-muffin pans, or a bundt pan for something a little different!
  • Substitute half of the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips to make an “Elvis Banana Bread”. :-)
  • Can’t eat it all at once? (Like us!) Freeze the second loaf. It defrosts beautifully.

Got overripe bananas??? Then what are you waiting for??? :-)

Share on Facebook456Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest15,509Google+4

Comments

1. Crystal says

Wow! Whenever I find cake mix on sale I always pick up at least two yellow cake mixes because I love having them on hand for making birthday cake batter pancakes. From now on I will pick up a few extras because I LOVE this idea! I will have to make this soon. Thank you for the awesome idea.

BTW, did it turn out moist like good banana bread should?

2. Alicia says

Im wondering if this could also be done with pumpkin purée for pumpkin bread. I think I’ll have to try and see:)

3. danelle butler says

We just made this recipe again yesterday!!! I use muffins tins instead of bread pans and in my oven it is about 18 min.. just a tiny bit of browning on the top… I like mine moist inside. They are soooo good. We gave these to the teachers on the last day of school! Such a great easy gift or to add to a meal you are making for someone!

But… it is 4 ingredients not 3!!! mix, bananas, eggs and chips! Threw me off at the grocery yesterday!

• MRZ Z says

Its only 4 if you chose the optional ingredients :) By the way, great idea withthe muffin tins…I will definitely be trying that. My kids will so happy thanks to you and Jillee!!!

You can freeze over-ripe bananas to use in bread later. The peels will turn completely black in the freezer, but the fruit is fine for any use that a mashed or pureed banana would be used for. In fact, when you thaw, they are so soft that no mashing is necessary – just break the peel on one end and drop the fruit out of the peel, right into the mixing bowl.

• Angela says

I freeze bananas as well! I take it one step further and peel the bananas first, pop them into ziploc bags (3-4 per bag) and then freeze. I have found that this makes it easier to grab them out and use! ;)

5. Pam says

So glad I found your website! Just one amazing “good thing” after another. Thank you so much.

This is a great idea! I wonder if you could do the same thing using a spice cake mix. It might give it a little more zing. I might have to try this very soon.

7. Meredith says

I’ve made this several times after finding it on Artsy Fartsy Mama and it’s sooo good! Never added chocolate chips until the other day, I added the minis and it was really good! I just couldn’t imagine putting chocolate chips in banana bread but I was pleasantly surprised. NOW! Peanut butter chips!!!!!!! OMW!! I’m doing that today!!! Thanks for the tip!

8. Denise says

Can you tell me what your ‘small sized’ pans are? and your regular size pans ? I have two small ones..7 1/2 x 4 and then 5 3/4 x 3, and then the traditional bread pan size 9 something.. Love your site, comments, recipes….love it all ! Denise