Sunday, June 24, 2012

Simple 3-Ingredient Banana Bread {Including The Bananas!}

banana breadIt doesn’t happen TOO often around here…but once in awhile the bananas that I buy for smoothies and to put on top of cereal, or  just for eating, end up looking like this. :-(

Now this isn’t a COMPLETE loss if you like banana bread…which we DO! But more times than not…I have good intentions to make banana bread with overripe bananas…but rarely ever get around to it.

But thanks to Lindsay at Artsy Fartsy Mama…I doubt we will ever toss another overripe banana in this house! Her recipe for “Easy Banana Bread” is, well, SO EASY! And yummy!

I was so taken with this idea…that I even made it with the chocolate chips, which I’ve never done before. I have nothing against chocolate chips mind you! I’ve just always made banana bread the way my Mom made it….no nuts, no chocolate chips….just bananas.

Shortcut Banana Bread
adapted from Artsy Fartsy Mama

(1) yellow cake mix
2 eggs
3-4 overripe bananas
(Optional) 1 cup chocolate chips, nuts, etc.

Add all ingredients to a large bowl (or stand mixer) and mix well. Fill two small, greased loaf pans, or one large loaf pan.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes (bake longer if using larger loaf pan)

banana bread
banana bread

That’s it! In less than 50 words you have the entire recipe!

Right after I put this in the oven the house began to smell WONDERFUL! Right after I took it OUT of the oven….I had people coming out of the woodwork of my house wanting a piece! As a matter of fact I was hard-pressed to get some pictures of the finished product before it was consumed!

But I did manage to get a few……

banana bread
banana bread

Here are a few HELPFUL HINTS for baking a lovely loaf of this beautiful banana bread!

• Toss the chocolate chips in a little bit of flour before adding to the batter. This will help keep the chips from sinking to the bottom of the pan!
banana bread
  • Freeze overripe bananas until you have enough to make a loaf. Just throw them in a plastic baggie, peel and all! Thaw when ready to use.
  • Another tip for freezing overripe bananas is to put the bananas in zip lock bag and smash the banana inside the bag. Mush the bag until it’s flat, and freeze it that way. Makes thawing fast and easy!
  • Make it gluten-free with a gluten-free yellow cake mix…or sugar-free with a sugar-free yellow cake mix and sugar-free chocolate chips!
  • Bake in muffin pans, mini-muffin pans, or a bundt pan for something a little different!
  • Substitute half of the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips to make an “Elvis Banana Bread”. :-)
  • Can’t eat it all at once? (Like us!) Freeze the second loaf. It defrosts beautifully.

Got overripe bananas??? Then what are you waiting for??? :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

74 thoughts on “Simple 3-Ingredient Banana Bread {Including The Bananas!}

1. Crystal

Wow! Whenever I find cake mix on sale I always pick up at least two yellow cake mixes because I love having them on hand for making birthday cake batter pancakes. From now on I will pick up a few extras because I LOVE this idea! I will have to make this soon. Thank you for the awesome idea.

BTW, did it turn out moist like good banana bread should?

2. danelle butler

We just made this recipe again yesterday!!! I use muffins tins instead of bread pans and in my oven it is about 18 min.. just a tiny bit of browning on the top… I like mine moist inside. They are soooo good. We gave these to the teachers on the last day of school! Such a great easy gift or to add to a meal you are making for someone!

But… it is 4 ingredients not 3!!! mix, bananas, eggs and chips! Threw me off at the grocery yesterday!

1. MRZ Z

Its only 4 if you chose the optional ingredients :) By the way, great idea withthe muffin tins…I will definitely be trying that. My kids will so happy thanks to you and Jillee!!!

3. Nicole

You can freeze over-ripe bananas to use in bread later. The peels will turn completely black in the freezer, but the fruit is fine for any use that a mashed or pureed banana would be used for. In fact, when you thaw, they are so soft that no mashing is necessary – just break the peel on one end and drop the fruit out of the peel, right into the mixing bowl.

1. Angela

I freeze bananas as well! I take it one step further and peel the bananas first, pop them into ziploc bags (3-4 per bag) and then freeze. I have found that this makes it easier to grab them out and use! ;)

4. Gail

This is a great idea! I wonder if you could do the same thing using a spice cake mix. It might give it a little more zing. I might have to try this very soon.

5. Meredith

I’ve made this several times after finding it on Artsy Fartsy Mama and it’s sooo good! Never added chocolate chips until the other day, I added the minis and it was really good! I just couldn’t imagine putting chocolate chips in banana bread but I was pleasantly surprised. NOW! Peanut butter chips!!!!!!! OMW!! I’m doing that today!!! Thanks for the tip!

6. Denise

Can you tell me what your ‘small sized’ pans are? and your regular size pans ? I have two small ones..7 1/2 x 4 and then 5 3/4 x 3, and then the traditional bread pan size 9 something.. Love your site, comments, recipes….love it all ! Denise

7. Jules

If you thought that adding the chocolate chips were wonderful, next time add marachino cherries with the chocolate chips. Yumm Yumm!!!!

8. Denise

It’s in the oven as we speak (or read) I used french vanilla ( all I had) and 2 extra large eggs (all I had) chco chips and a few pecans. let ya know how it turns out.

9. Chrissy

Another thing you can do is if you have a muffin mix for banana bread, add the extra bananas, which is what I did… and it was simply wonderful! We all loved it and the kids absoloutly adored it!

10. Denise

Wonderful…..I think this might just might have replaced my long standing favorite banana bread recipe…it certainly is easier, light, tasty, hmmmm….now WHY would I want to do the butter, eggs, flour,sugars, etc.???

11. Stephanie

Did this with Zuchini today in several different flavors. Caramel cake, Orange cake with Cranberries, Yellow Cake with Choc Chips, and Lemon with poppy seeds. I called my mom to tell her how great it was. We are so excited to have an easy way to use up the zuchini we have been overwhelmed with so far.

12. Anna

This is not banana bread. This is cake that you threw bananas in. Regular, old-fashioned, made from scratch banana bread is easy enough. Just freeze your overripe bananas for when you are ready, make the bread from scratch, and save money!

13. Linda

I have always frozen my overripe bananas for muffins, waffles, etc. I usually just throw the whole banana in the freezer. I tried your tip last nite-peel, put in a baggie & mush before freezing. The best tip ever!! I will never do it any other way, thanks sooo much!!

14. Dannielle

I have frozen bananas for years I use them to make my breakfast 1 frozen banana plus 1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt {shoprite] blend and drink. yum yum. So thick and rich! Ifreeze sans the peel as I find it too hard to peel frozen.

15. Dottie

I made one yesterday and it was wonderful. I used three eggs (because I mix so many box cake mixes and it is just automatic for me. Didn’t mean to do it.) and raisins because I didn’t have chocolate chips in the house at that time. Oh wow it was good. Have one in oven not with chocolate chips. Thanks for such a great and easy recipe!

16. jerianne

Made this morning, delicious!! But, apparently i didnt cook long enough :( only got 1 peice each (1 for me, and 2 kids). But gonna get more stuff today to make more!! We loved it!!

17. mdoe37

Not a banana bread fan. . . . but THIS!! Just came out of the oven and I managed to let it cool 10 minutes before slicing a couple of pieces. It masks that overripe banana flavor that I don’t like (I eat mine a wee bit green). I usually only buy a couple of bananas at a time so I don’t have leftovers, so I had to buy overripe bananas at the store (heavily discounted of course). I used some white chips that I had on the shelf. Husband gave it a 12 out of 10. He’s not a fan of the typical banana bread recipe either. He even put butter on his. I can see where this will freeze well. There’s only the two of us, so it will be a handy treat in the freezer.

YUM!!

18. ~joanne

FYI……Three medium bananas will produce about one cup of mashed banana, the same as 8 ounces of baby food bananas.

Read more: How to Make Banana Bread With Baby Food Bananas | eHow.com

19. Pingback: 3 Ingredient Banana Bread | Mommy Needs A Coffee Break!

20. Pingback: 10 Recipes under 10 Ingredients

21. click the up coming website page

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment
    is added I get four emails with the same comment.

Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

22. Sylvester

All you need to do is to coat the chicken by rolling
    them over the seasoning mixture. And according to my short research,
    celery stalk contains PHTHALIDE which can lower blood pressure,
    and also it lessens the production of catecholamine (exists if
    physically and emotionally stressed) which causes the imbalance flow
    of blood by restricting or blocking the blood vessels. Copycat recipes from: Applebee’s, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Olive Garden, Chili’s,
    Outback Steakhouse, P.

23. http://charleswiley.webnode.com/

This surprised me later, because I realized that it is all connected.
    SPC poses a unique geographic location that supports this innovative design.
    Cases in point are courses in medical billing, phlebotomy, accounting, legal terminology and business English.

With the courses provided online, there is no barrier to attend them.

24. facebook timeline cover love

Excessive Tearing – Eyelashes that grow inward can irritate the
    front of the eye, leading to excessive watering from the eyes.

Keep track of all the positive and negative things about each truck cap.
    In today’s world, privacy is everything to any user of modern technology wants to know beyond a doubt that their information is safe.
    It’s such a specialized and specific gift just for
    us Note 2 owners, the neglected mass of power users with big beautiful phones
    in our large pockets.

25. Manhattan Dermatology

Doing this eight hours a day for five days a week can cause
    friction on the skin of the elbows. Retrieved on February 16, 2010 from the
    Belgravia Centre:. The workers at medical spas include:
    Medical doctors like plastic surgeons who have stepped into these combos spas in order to perform complex
    procedures that require their expertise. Cellulite can be removed easily by adopting a simple exercise routine.

26. Www.Kirimbungasurabaya.com

t make a design yourself, you can always apt for a design that.

Toronto Florist providing customers with online shopping for floral arrangements, bouquets and gift baskets for all occasions.
    When it comes to sending flower Gifts Philippines, online flower shops such as Flowers Express are ones that could provide faster and reliable means of delivering a
    bouquet of flowers back to your love ones in the Philippines.
    Here are some of the region’s floral shops that will put together the perfect arrangement
    for any occasion.

27. BBQ Buch

Spend the extra time or money on a good pack of spare
    ribs. “This is way beyond what we talked about,” said an appreciative Hewatt.
    How can you find street vending concession trailers.
    Some of these latest tools are, the Grill Baskets in which you can hold anything from vegetables
    to fish and toss, flip and turn it the way you want to. If your refrigerator is full use an insulated Styrofoam cooler, but pack it with ice
    bags and replace them as necessary to keep the temperature below 40
    degrees.

28. twitter follower generator

com and do a search by typing in keywords that relate to the demographic
    that you are targeting. This is “social” media after all, so be a little social.

Link Lover We all love a good link, but if the only thing you are posting on Twitter is links- chances are you will
    lose some followers. To give you a comparison, say you post a
    tweet and have 20 followers. (Remember, in the Internet world competition works differently than in the real world.

29. Melodee

Computer worms are similar to viruses because they can replicate themselves to damage the infected computer and other computers in the network.
    Presently, the latest version of Win – RAR is Win – RAR 3.
    * Win – RAR offers the advantage of an industry file AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) 128 bits.
    Try to complete the installation of that softwares. As mentioned earlier, if you have accidentally formatted your drive and lost important files because of this,
    the first thing that should be done is to rescue the files using the
    finest recovery software.

30. Shawn

Before you hire the defense attorney, meet him or her in
    person. Millions of people normally assume that they never
    really need a lawyer because they are never
    involved in any kind of criminal activities. No book can teach that, this valuable experience is beyond
    price and can only be gained in working as a criminal defense
    lawyer.

31. best online data backup

This feature is called SOS Ultra – Safe and is password protected even from the in-house workers
    at the company. All your files are stored and secured and may be easily used
    wherever you could be. Online backup services have been in use for a long time in the corporate market.

32. Leaking gut symptoms

Normally the cells in the gut are very tightly bound together by structures called ‘tight
    junctions’. The H2S in excess can cause further severe irritation of the sympathetic nervous system.

To complement the Omeprazole therapy this medicine helps
    the muscles of the gastro-intestinal tract to relax.

33. бинарные опционы

Beuys was also adamant about avoiding “artiness,”
    and described his materials as “very basic to life and not associated with art. That’s not a very good system but it was first and easiest technologically speaking. In my message you person two options that leave appropriate you to person passive income and increase wealthiest in genuine demesne investing.

34. www.Rebelmouse.com

All you need to do is build that upper body quick and here a guide on how
    to do just that. In 1900, Japan as well as those villagers today who
    eat this traditional diet, consumed about five to eight ounces of fruit, approximately nine ounces of vegetables, two ounces of a
    variety of beans, only two ounces of meat, and three or
    four ounces of fish. The advanced version requires shuffling your hands
    10 inches forward and back while maintaining the leg movements.

35. free amazon promo codes

I looked in the box and looked at the case of private label on the shelf.
    There are perhaps just as many different types of supplies as there are businesses.
    Either approach, if you are to be purchasing jeans, t shirts,
    jackets, or any type of garments, a promo code will
    encourage you to save the money you intend to save.

36. ACLS Recertification Online

However, not many people have the time to attend the classes in person because they have their own work schedule to maintain.

If you cannot feel their breath on your face, you should begin first aid.
    What they discovered was that those who drank
    at least three cups of tea a day significantly reduced their risk of stroke, compared with those who drank less than one cup.