DIY Skin Brightener! Yogurt and Honey Facial Mask

Yogurt and Honey Facial Mask

My good friend and neighbor Jodi recently realized a life-long dream of hers by opening up her very own salon and spa in our town called Mind Ur Bees Wax.

jodi-r

For many years she has been a master esthetician at a very exclusive salon and spa in Park City, Utah. Her clientele has included the “rich and the famous”! But now she’s opening her own place literally on Main Street, USA and is offering her services to “real people”…like me!  (I’m sure she’ll still have the “rich and famous” coming to see her…she’s that good! I just hope I’m around one of those times!) ;-)

Anyway, she was nice enough to treat me to an amazing organic facial the other day and now I think I’m hooked! I haven’t treated my face very nice over the years…but I’m TRYING to be better about that now that I’m “not as young as I used to be”. ;-)

Even though I will DEFINITELY be going back to see Jodi for her professional treatments, I wanted something I could do at home in between those times. She was kind enough to give me this recipe for an organic face mask that ALL of us can make at home with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen right now.

Yogurt and Honey Facial Mask

Yogurt and Honey Mask

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • Dash of ground cinnamon
  • Dash of ground nutmeg

Yogurt and Honey Facial Mask

Mix in cup or bowl (at this point you WILL be tempted to EAT it…it’s that good! You must resist…this is for your face!) and apply to face. It might tingle just a bit at first, that just tells you it’s working. Leave on for 7 to 10 minutes and wash off with warm water.

According to Jodi, the yogurt contains lactic acid which gently exfoliates dead skin cells and brightens the complexion. It also contains probiotics, so it’s great for healing blemishes. The honey naturally hydrates the skin and is rich in antioxidants and has anti-microbial properties. Cinnamon has a warming effect on the skin which brings fresh, oxygen-rich blood to the surface to kill bacteria and detoxify the skin and gives a healthy rosy glow. Nutmeg helps to “plump” the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

Yogurt and Honey Facial Mask

I LOVED this stuff! It was EASY to make and it felt so cool and refreshing on my face!  When I washed it off….my face felt soft and moist. Usually after using a mask I immediately feel the need to slather on moisturizer…but I didn’t feel that way at all.

One more tip from Jodi:

Try it before a night out!  Your makeup will go on more evenly and your skin will be soft and glowing!

I’m definitely going to try that!

Thanks Jodi!

My skin thanks you too!

Facebook120Twitter7Pinterest6557Google+0

Comments

1. Deb says

It’s almost like you are reading my mind! Saturday I was searching your website for age spot lightening solutions! (Sorry to say I MIGHT need something like that!) Thanks for sharing another good tip!

2. Marie Norris says

this is a great mask yes you get all the benefits of Lactic acid I add lemon to mine to put in citric acid which also is a skin lightener and has an exfoiliating action also….great for large pores and women with blackheads..which usually arethe runners….. but anyway this is really a great mask.,.,.keep it natural and your skin will response to it….I always say when God created man and woman where did he put them? in the garden why? cause everything there was for their well being,.,.did you find a drug store there? no… it took Adam 900 yrs to destory himself ,it takes how long for man now a days?

3. Casey says

I just tried this mask and I am in LOVE!!!! My skin has been dry and flaky almost all my life however after this wonderful mask there is not a flake in sight. Thank you so much for this recipe.

4. marlene says

Ow , Ow , Ow !!!
    I just washed this off , after having it on for only a couple of minutes. There’s no way I could leave it on the full time. My face felt (and still feels) like it’s on FIRE .. and it’s red. Like , sunburn red. I’m not exactly sure which ingredient it was that did it , but holy nutter butter!!!!
    I don’t have sensitive skin that I am aware of , but maybe I do now! LOLOL
    Smelled great though! LOL

• Karen says

I think I would have the same reaction to the cinnamon, or worse. I have a severe cinnamon allergy (Anaphylaxis). I just found this site and recipe and plan to try it without the cinnamon.

Definetly the cinnamon. It’s a common and benificial reaction. It brings fresh, oxygen rich blood to the capillaries which helps to kill bacteria to reduce breakouts as well as stimulate skin cells which can increase collegen to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.

5. May says

I just washed this off and I am in love! I have combination skin with adult acne – it has made an instantly noticeable improvement in my skin, and it feels fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Thanks for the great face mask recipe! After making the moisturizing lotion and using it everyday (I love it more than Bath&BodyWorks!) I will have to make this.

Also, I noticed in the pic that your nutmeg is “Schilling” and McCormick hasn’t made that label in over 7 or 8 years so you may want to pick up a new one. :-) It won’t be old enough to make you sick but definitely loses it potency. If you want to check your spice dates or shelf life here’s a great link:

Thanks again for the great post!

7. mszvix says

I had the same reaction to the cinnamon but luckily the redness went away after a couple of hours. My skin feels great! I can’t wait to try it again, with a little less cinnamon.

8. Sarah says

I just did this facial. It smells delicious! However when I wiped it off after about 7 minutes it left red splotches. Has this happened to anyone else? Hopefully they will fade before my lunch date with my husband a couple of hours.

9. Kate says

I too have the some of the same questions – I used it today and my skin feels amazing and no reactions to the cinnamon thank goodness. But I would like to know how often it can be used and if in fact I can make a lager batch and keep it in the fridge and for how long?

10. Bell says

I have not tried this with the added spices but I will. My DH laughs at me when I pop open a container of honey yogurt and take what is stuck to the lid and smear it on my face. It does make your skin feel soft and smooth.

11. Vanessa says

I tried this mask but without cinnamon and I absolutely love it! Applied it right before going out and my skin was smooth and glowing! Did not have to use that much foundation (not a big fan) and it came out very nicely. Thank you!

12. Caitlin says

This really needs a note saying that for those with sensitive skin they should be extremely careful with the cinnamon. I managed five minutes and I’m left with a massive rash on my face. Not just redness and “fresh blood” but a full blown rash.

Hello! I know this is kind of off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does managing a well-established blog such as yours take a large amount of work?
    I am completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my
    journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

14. Susan says

This is the first time I tried this mask and really found it refreshing and nice. I left it on for 15-20 minutes while taking my bath. I’m hoping it will help with my dry, flaky skin. I found it easy to apply and it stayed on my face without dripping off, like other masks I have tried. How often can I use this mask? I have sensitive skin, as well as rosacea and would hate to aggravate it by using more than maybe once a week.

15. michelle says

Im trying this mask now and even though it has a slight burn feeling I still love it. The smell is great and I can feel it working wonders on my face. Cant wait to rinse it off and see how my face feels

If you follow the Weight Watchers diet, the Weight Watchers Mobile app is a great way to keep track of
    your points on the go. The Piriformis muscle which is a common cause of sciatica, can get
    irritated with exercise that jars your body. We now hold the title of
    the world’s most obese nation.

I love homemade yoghurt masks!! For my sensitve yet acne prone skin they are amazing at ‘cleaning’ the skin surface without the harshness of an exfoliating scrub. I add gram flour, lemon juice, tumeric or sandalwood powder to my masks to get the best benefits (all great for my skin type). This mask is so moisturisng yet cleansing and decongests my oily skin!

My face feels clogged up and it is amazing what a difference a yoghurt face mask can do!

1. [...] I found this post from a lady that found another great DIY facial: Even though I will DEFINITELY be going back to see Jodi for her professional treatments, I wanted something I could do at home in between those times. She was kind enough to give me this recipe for an organic face mask that ALL of us can make at home with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen right now….More at DIY Skin Brightener! Yogurt and Honey Facial Mask | One Good … [...]