DIY All-Purpose Healing Salve

healing salve

Hi friends!  Today my sister Rebecca (www.CampWander.com) has been kind enough to help me out while I’m in New York City for the Mom+Social Global Summit. She is sharing a product that has been a LIFESAVER for me!

I know I have talked about my “stress hives” before…and I apologize for doing so again…but they continue to plague me! ugh! I sure wish I could find the “cure”. But until I do, this salve has helped me SO much! I don’t even know what I would do without it!

So it’s my pleasure to share it with you and at the same time I want to publicly thank my sister for generously sharing this magic potion with me/us. :-)

Take it away Rebecca…..

If I had to choose one skin care product out of the many that I’ve made, used and blogged about, CW All-Purpose Healing Salve would be it!

All-Purpose Healing Salve is made up of simple ingredients like organic coconut oil, olive oil, PURE CPPharmaGrade essential oils {EOs} from Spark Naturals and a splash of vitamin e to create an organic salve with neo-sporin like properties. A salve that will protect, disinfect AND moisturize! Believe me, this is one workhorse of a salve that you’ll reach for over and over again.

What’s in it and why?

Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer as well as antibacterial. Olive oil has anti-oxidants, including Hydroxytyrosol and other anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender EO is your skin’s best friend. Not only does it calm the senses, it also has amazing healing properties as a tissue restorative, Lemon EO cleanses and disinfects with fragrant antiseptic attributes while Melaleuca is antibacterial and antifungal!

CW All-Purpose Healing Salve

4 – 4 ounce glass jam jars
1 qt. mason jar for melting

1 cup organic cold pressed coconut oil
1 cup quality organic olive oil
4 T. organic beeswax pastilles
1 t. vitamin e oil (optional)

10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
6 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
3 to 4 drops vitamin e

all purpose salve

Add the coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax to 1 quart mason jar. Fill a large saucepan halfway with warm water, set your burner to low to medium heat, slowly melt the ingredients in the warm bath, stirring with a knife every few minutes until melted.

While melting and stirring, line up four 4 oz glass jam jars. To each 4 oz jar ~ add the CPPharmaGrade essential oils and vitamin e oil.

Now you’re ready to fill each jar with the hot oils and beeswax. Carefully fill each jar to within a half inch from the rim. Let the jars cool until the salve hardens, top with a paper towel while cooling to keep dust, bugs etc from invading your lovely jars of salve! Secure lids tightly after the salve has hardened. CW All-Purpose Healing Salve has approximately a one year shelf life, depending on humidity, heat etc. Note: the consistency of salve will set up soft but solid enough not to splash around in the jar.

I’ve made a lot of salve over the last year! Camp Wander supplies our local Wyoming nursery with stacks of jar as it’s so wonderful for rough, dry gardener’s hands!

all purpose salve 2

Although a gardener’s salve was the original use, the comments flew in with testimonials of success using the salve for so many different things the list of uses kept on growing! Here’s a few ideas for the good readers of One Good Thing by Jillee from Camp Wander!

1. Extreme hand moisturizer, a gardener’s best friend!

2. Dry, cracked heels and crusty elbows.

3. All-purpose moisturizer for dryer climes. My Wyoming home pretty much demands heavy use of this salve as a body moisturizer and occasionally on my face, sparingly!

4. Soothes and heals chapped lips or any chappy place ~ Purchase small lip balm pots (HERE)

5. Soothes welts, burns and insect bites or bee sting!

6. Great for diaper rash ~ keep a small lip balm pot of salve in your purse AND diaper bag!

7. Keep your animals in mind! Sunburned noses, gashes, heat spots and post surgical wounds. The taste of Lavender and Melaleuca keep your pets from licking wounds – bonus!!   Caution: because of Lemon essential oil the salve is not intended for cats. Cats are super sensitive to citrus oils.

8. Antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties make it great for cuts, scrapes and post wound care for kids and adults!

9. Wonderful for elderly folks and their thin, fragile skin.

10. Great for scaly scalp!

11. Mom’s favorite go to for eczema breakouts ~ safe for infants!

12. Hand sanitizer and moisturizer in one!

If your excited to make your own All-Purpose Healing Salve and wondering where to find good quality essential oils, Jillee and I invite you to try our new find! A brand new line of responsibly priced PURE essential oils that both of us are excited about! Spark Naturals is pleased to now offer Certified Pure PharmaGrade essential oils, abundantly useful as an all natural alternative for your health and wellness.

essential oils

Learn how Certified Pure PharmaGrade essential oils can help you be the Healer in your home. Visit Camp Wander and learn how you too can live the EO Life!

Make sure to use the coupon code JILLEE for an extra 10% off when ordering from Spark Naturals. :-)

all purpose salve fb

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter18Pin on Pinterest8,308Google+4

Comments

1. April Jo says

Jillee,

just to be certain do we add :

10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
    8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
    6 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
    3 to 4 drops vitamin e

to EACH jar? Or mix it together and divide between the jars?

• miki says

Rebecca, regarding your stress hives, you should look into Heretitary Angio Edema. That’s what mine turned out to be.

• Katie says

I’d like to know too! Also, I just bought raw organic shea butter–can I use that instead of coconut? I’d love to make this my very first project, thanks Jillee and Rebecca!

2. Linda says

Do we stir the essential oils that are put into the bottom of the jar after the liquid we melted is poured in the jar to mix it all together?

3. Debbie says

Hi Jillee
    I was havng trouble with hives a few years back and my doctor gave me vistiril hydroxyzine.
    It helped me so much! I do not like taking meds but in this case I had to! I only took a short time then just kept on hand for flare ups. best wishes Feel better :)

Debbie

4. Claudia says

This looks great but is there a vegan alternative that could be used to replace the beeswax?

5. Mindy says

Oh Jillee and Rebecca! How I love you both!!! This is PERFECT timing! I just broke out in hives for the 2nd time in a month! I hate how Prednisone makes me feel, but nothing else has worked. I have almost everything here to make this…just need the little jars. Guess it’s time for a quick run to Meijer for jars! I’ll be mixing up a batch in the morning. Thanks to both of you for your hard work in helping all of us!

6. LINDA says

Jill, please help me with this, PLEASE!!

I really enjoy your site. I find a lot of things I want to try out later… recipes, salves, etc.

I want to be able to copy and print so I can have the directions in front of me later when I am trying out whatever it is …
    I just have a heck of a time trying to copy and paste… I really don’t need to copy the whole page ….

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong or what I do need to do so I can have a copy of instructions in front of me??????

Linda

• Kim in Michigan says

Linda, at the end of the post, you will see the different “share” buttons,on the left…now look to the far right of the same line, and you should see “clean print” with a green leaf next to it. Or you can copy and paste to a word program to print. Blessings!

• Derris says

Oh Kim, thank you! I have never noticed that ‘clean print’ before. Just tried it and it’s great. You can X-out the lines you don’t want… it tells you how many pages it will be, etc, Love it!

• Ms. Managed says

I can’t seem to get “clean print” to work correctly in app on the iPad; is this wonderful tool only available on a desktop/laptop?

Can’t wait to make this! I get itchy from coconut oil though :(
        Substitution suggestions?

TIA!

Jillee & CW are my latest and greatest obsessions! I’m a high school library teacher, and I share information with the students and colleagues from Jillee & CW all of the time (even at a recent professional development session where I was the instructor – I was wearing my t-shirt scarf and just had to share where I got the idea and instructions)! I can’t wait to post links on my new website later this month!

• Kristen says

I’ve heard clean print allows you to print the text you want without ads, images, etc.

7. Ilissa says

I went to Maui recently to visit my brother and do some surfing. Loved it, but hated the rash i got from surfing. My brother gave me this healing salve to put on it, and wow! It was amazing, and smelled amazing too! I trekked the internet to find one with similar ingredients, or one I could make my self. One ingredient I noticed right away was the chamomile. I’m surprised to see it’s not in your ingredient list! Here’e the blog I found my healing salve on. It’s complete with ingredients and tutorial, however uses the actual herbs to infuse into the oil. I’m not sure whether or not you could use EOs instead of infusing the oil with herbs. You should definitely check it out though! The salve my brother had me use (which contains almost identical ingredients to the one I found at Crunchy Betty) worked wonderfully!!

I was actually bummed when I went looking for this homemade salve and found you didn’t have a recipe for it! You’ve got everything!

• Donna Sharpe says

Chamomile is very soothing but I have read that if you are allergic to ragweed (and really, who isn’t, lol!) you shouldn’t use it because it is in the same family so I would think that the histamine response of hives would not be a good use of it. I’m sure it is great for chaffed skin though :)

8. Flora says

Hi Jillee,

what does the “T.” mean? (4 T. organic beeswax pastilles) I am a reader from Europe and the specifications are sometimes confusing. Thanks a lot for your inspiring site!

Flora

9. Valerie says

…and, I’m not a fan of lavender EO fragrance. Substituting another fragrance would be acceptable? Or I could just omit it?

Thanks!

• Ilissa says

I believe the lavender EO in this is used for its healing properties and not its fragrance in this case. I would suggest trying chamomile, but I’m sure Jillee and Rebecca will get back to you about it.

Valerie, you won’t smell the Lavender per se as it’s blended with other essential oils, coconut oil and olive oil. The Salve has great fragrance to it, without smelling of only Lavender! The healing qualities of Lavender are “essential” (no pun intended) to blend however, it can be substituted for another EO. Frankincense perhaps?