DIY All-Purpose Healing Salve

healing salve

Hi friends!  Today my sister Rebecca (www.CampWander.com) has been kind enough to help me out while I’m in New York City for the Mom+Social Global Summit. She is sharing a product that has been a LIFESAVER for me!

I know I have talked about my “stress hives” before…and I apologize for doing so again…but they continue to plague me! ugh! I sure wish I could find the “cure”. But until I do, this salve has helped me SO much! I don’t even know what I would do without it!

So it’s my pleasure to share it with you and at the same time I want to publicly thank my sister for generously sharing this magic potion with me/us. :-)

Take it away Rebecca…..

If I had to choose one skin care product out of the many that I’ve made, used and blogged about, CW All-Purpose Healing Salve would be it!

All-Purpose Healing Salve is made up of simple ingredients like organic coconut oil, olive oil, PURE CPPharmaGrade essential oils {EOs} from Spark Naturals and a splash of vitamin e to create an organic salve with neo-sporin like properties. A salve that will protect, disinfect AND moisturize! Believe me, this is one workhorse of a salve that you’ll reach for over and over again.

What’s in it and why?

Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer as well as antibacterial. Olive oil has anti-oxidants, including Hydroxytyrosol and other anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender EO is your skin’s best friend. Not only does it calm the senses, it also has amazing healing properties as a tissue restorative, Lemon EO cleanses and disinfects with fragrant antiseptic attributes while Melaleuca is antibacterial and antifungal!

CW All-Purpose Healing Salve

4 – 4 ounce glass jam jars
1 qt. mason jar for melting

1 cup organic cold pressed coconut oil
1 cup quality organic olive oil
4 T. organic beeswax pastilles
1 t. vitamin e oil (optional)

10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
6 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
3 to 4 drops vitamin e

all purpose salve

Add the coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax to 1 quart mason jar. Fill a large saucepan halfway with warm water, set your burner to low to medium heat, slowly melt the ingredients in the warm bath, stirring with a knife every few minutes until melted.

While melting and stirring, line up four 4 oz glass jam jars. To each 4 oz jar ~ add the CPPharmaGrade essential oils and vitamin e oil.

Now you’re ready to fill each jar with the hot oils and beeswax. Carefully fill each jar to within a half inch from the rim. Let the jars cool until the salve hardens, top with a paper towel while cooling to keep dust, bugs etc from invading your lovely jars of salve! Secure lids tightly after the salve has hardened. CW All-Purpose Healing Salve has approximately a one year shelf life, depending on humidity, heat etc. Note: the consistency of salve will set up soft but solid enough not to splash around in the jar.

I’ve made a lot of salve over the last year! Camp Wander supplies our local Wyoming nursery with stacks of jar as it’s so wonderful for rough, dry gardener’s hands!

all purpose salve 2

Although a gardener’s salve was the original use, the comments flew in with testimonials of success using the salve for so many different things the list of uses kept on growing! Here’s a few ideas for the good readers of One Good Thing by Jillee from Camp Wander!

1. Extreme hand moisturizer, a gardener’s best friend!

2. Dry, cracked heels and crusty elbows.

3. All-purpose moisturizer for dryer climes. My Wyoming home pretty much demands heavy use of this salve as a body moisturizer and occasionally on my face, sparingly!

4. Soothes and heals chapped lips or any chappy place ~ Purchase small lip balm pots (HERE)

5. Soothes welts, burns and insect bites or bee sting!

6. Great for diaper rash ~ keep a small lip balm pot of salve in your purse AND diaper bag!

7. Keep your animals in mind! Sunburned noses, gashes, heat spots and post surgical wounds. The taste of Lavender and Melaleuca keep your pets from licking wounds – bonus!!   Caution: because of Lemon essential oil the salve is not intended for cats. Cats are super sensitive to citrus oils.

8. Antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties make it great for cuts, scrapes and post wound care for kids and adults!

9. Wonderful for elderly folks and their thin, fragile skin.

10. Great for scaly scalp!

11. Mom’s favorite go to for eczema breakouts ~ safe for infants!

12. Hand sanitizer and moisturizer in one!

If your excited to make your own All-Purpose Healing Salve and wondering where to find good quality essential oils, Jillee and I invite you to try our new find! A brand new line of responsibly priced PURE essential oils that both of us are excited about! Spark Naturals is pleased to now offer Certified Pure PharmaGrade essential oils, abundantly useful as an all natural alternative for your health and wellness.

essential oils

Learn how Certified Pure PharmaGrade essential oils can help you be the Healer in your home. Visit Camp Wander and learn how you too can live the EO Life!

Make sure to use the coupon code JILLEE for an extra 10% off when ordering from Spark Naturals. :-)

all purpose salve fb

Facebook438Twitter18Pinterest7732Google+4

Comments

1. April Jo says

Jillee,

just to be certain do we add :

10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
    8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
    6 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
    3 to 4 drops vitamin e

to EACH jar? Or mix it together and divide between the jars?

2. Debbie says

Hi Jillee
    I was havng trouble with hives a few years back and my doctor gave me vistiril hydroxyzine.
    It helped me so much! I do not like taking meds but in this case I had to! I only took a short time then just kept on hand for flare ups. best wishes Feel better :)

Debbie

3. Mindy says

Oh Jillee and Rebecca! How I love you both!!! This is PERFECT timing! I just broke out in hives for the 2nd time in a month! I hate how Prednisone makes me feel, but nothing else has worked. I have almost everything here to make this…just need the little jars. Guess it’s time for a quick run to Meijer for jars! I’ll be mixing up a batch in the morning. Thanks to both of you for your hard work in helping all of us!

4. LINDA says

Jill, please help me with this, PLEASE!!

I really enjoy your site. I find a lot of things I want to try out later… recipes, salves, etc.

I want to be able to copy and print so I can have the directions in front of me later when I am trying out whatever it is …
    I just have a heck of a time trying to copy and paste… I really don’t need to copy the whole page ….

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong or what I do need to do so I can have a copy of instructions in front of me??????

Linda

• Kim in Michigan says

Linda, at the end of the post, you will see the different “share” buttons,on the left…now look to the far right of the same line, and you should see “clean print” with a green leaf next to it. Or you can copy and paste to a word program to print. Blessings!

• Derris says

Oh Kim, thank you! I have never noticed that ‘clean print’ before. Just tried it and it’s great. You can X-out the lines you don’t want… it tells you how many pages it will be, etc, Love it!

• Ms. Managed says

I can’t seem to get “clean print” to work correctly in app on the iPad; is this wonderful tool only available on a desktop/laptop?

Can’t wait to make this! I get itchy from coconut oil though :(
        Substitution suggestions?

TIA!

Jillee & CW are my latest and greatest obsessions! I’m a high school library teacher, and I share information with the students and colleagues from Jillee & CW all of the time (even at a recent professional development session where I was the instructor – I was wearing my t-shirt scarf and just had to share where I got the idea and instructions)! I can’t wait to post links on my new website later this month!

5. Ilissa says

I went to Maui recently to visit my brother and do some surfing. Loved it, but hated the rash i got from surfing. My brother gave me this healing salve to put on it, and wow! It was amazing, and smelled amazing too! I trekked the internet to find one with similar ingredients, or one I could make my self. One ingredient I noticed right away was the chamomile. I’m surprised to see it’s not in your ingredient list! Here’e the blog I found my healing salve on. It’s complete with ingredients and tutorial, however uses the actual herbs to infuse into the oil. I’m not sure whether or not you could use EOs instead of infusing the oil with herbs. You should definitely check it out though! The salve my brother had me use (which contains almost identical ingredients to the one I found at Crunchy Betty) worked wonderfully!!

I was actually bummed when I went looking for this homemade salve and found you didn’t have a recipe for it! You’ve got everything!

• Donna Sharpe says

Chamomile is very soothing but I have read that if you are allergic to ragweed (and really, who isn’t, lol!) you shouldn’t use it because it is in the same family so I would think that the histamine response of hives would not be a good use of it. I’m sure it is great for chaffed skin though :)

6. Flora says

Hi Jillee,

what does the “T.” mean? (4 T. organic beeswax pastilles) I am a reader from Europe and the specifications are sometimes confusing. Thanks a lot for your inspiring site!

Flora

• Ilissa says

I believe the lavender EO in this is used for its healing properties and not its fragrance in this case. I would suggest trying chamomile, but I’m sure Jillee and Rebecca will get back to you about it.

Valerie, you won’t smell the Lavender per se as it’s blended with other essential oils, coconut oil and olive oil. The Salve has great fragrance to it, without smelling of only Lavender! The healing qualities of Lavender are “essential” (no pun intended) to blend however, it can be substituted for another EO. Frankincense perhaps?

7. Sydney says

Any idea on the weight of 4T pastilles? I get bulk beeswax in bars from a local beekeeper and would like to grate and measure by weight, if possible :) If anyone has pastilles and wouldn’t care to weigh them I’d be grateful!

8. Pat says

Just to let you all know, I tried to order from Spark Naturals and use the coupon code JILLIEE as stated above and it says that the coupon does not exist. Maybe it was just to be used one day??????

9. debbie k says

Hola J,

You should give yoga a try. I would have never thought of doing yoga, but three of my friends (and doctor) have recommended it for years. I finally tried it. Now I Love it. Think about it, for the stress in your life.

Debbie

10. Marianne says

I love your site. I have learned so much. I have not had stress hives, but I do get seasonal allergies. I’ve recently been using quercetin and bromelain. It has proven very helpful. Maybe it could work for your hives. Worth a try:)

11. Linda says

The salve sounds great, but I have another concern today. Almost every day when I click on the link to your blog in my email, it tries to take me to another site…servebeer.com. My virus protection catches it and I can close it. Then when I go back & click on your link again, it goes thru without any problem. Don’t know if this is something that can be fixed on your end or not, but I thought you should be aware of it. Is anyone else having this problem?

• melissa says

I am having that problem also, but only if I click on the link to that day’s post. If I click on the purple “read more” tab it doesnt happen…thought it was just me :)

• margaret says

when I clicked on —-in my email—my virus protection would tell me that I should not open it up—-and this happened for every email that was sent to me from Jullee—-not any ones else— so now I just do not try to get to the site via the emails————I have the site bookmarked and get to it that way—-I do not know why the virus detection says this—— has this happen to any one else?

12. Mary says

Hi,
    I have 2 questions -
    Is tea tree oil the same as melaleuca oil ? I have found 3 different melaleuca oils and am not sure which to purchase but there has been a reference to tea tree oil.
    In most of your recipes that call for liquid dish detergent you use Dawn, is there a reason for Dawn over any other liquid dish detergent ? Will any liquid dish detergent work?
    thanks in advance,
    Mary

13. Karen F says

What is vit E oil? Is it the capsules that can be taken orally?
    I ordered some of the EO and can’t wait to make this salve for my husband.
    Thank you for such a great site!
    I usually learn something everything I read it.
    Keep up the good work.

14. CJ says

I am confused. Rebecca- I noticed in the ingredients you listed 1 teaspoon Vit E and then 3-4 drops Vit E was mentioned later with the oils but not mentioned where/when to place it. Can you help? Thanks

15. Donna Sharpe says

I need some more clarification on the Vitamin E oil as well. I went looking online at Amazon and Vitacost and there are tons of different versions and strengths, etc. I just don’t know what I need, help! I have already ordered my 4 oz jars :)

I suffered from hives horribly for years turned out I was allergic to soy and unfortunately many foods have hidden soy, but at least try to eliminate the soy you can see!!! I found the best lotion was plain ol’ aloe vera.

17. Kathy says

A freind of mine just turned me on to this site yesterday due to I was breaking out in hives all over my body for all of January, February and March. Vists to the dermatologist turned into visits to an allergist, taking different steroids and prescription creams. Nothing seemed to help the never ending itch. No one could tell me what was causing this. I have never been allergic to anything that I know of. The only thing that soothed the horrible itch was …believe it or not…Vick’s Vapor Rub. It immediately calmed the itching. I have not broken out in about 4 weeks and hopefully it won’t come back, but I am anxious to make up a batch of your salve, not only incase the hives come back, but for all the other things it is good for. Thanks so much for this site. I love it!!!!!

18. pamela says

jillee, I have on hand beeswax as a solid block. i usually just grate it, i do not want to have to buy pellets, can u tell me the weight of the beeswax or how many TB of shaved beeswax. i cannot wait to try this.

OK! I made it but it has been more than 12 hours and it hasn’t ‘set up’ much. What did I do wrong? Or is it never going to set up as hard as it looks in your picture? I used beeswax, but couldn’t get the pastilles (I was in too big a hurry to order them), was that the problem. I grated it and measured 4 T.

20. Rita M. says

I’m confused. In one place it says 1 t. vitamin E (optional) and in another place it says 3-4 drops of Vitamin E. Would you please clarify? I would like to make this. Thanks.

21. Rita M. says

Wow. Some of the comments disappeared, including mine.

I am wondering why it says we’re supposed to put in 1 tsp. vitamin E (optional) and down further it says 3-4 drops of vitamin E. Please clarify. Thanks.

22. Michelle says

I tried making this yesterday… I followed the directions and measurements according to the recipe and it is not setting. I live in Southwest Florida so I think that the heat has something to do with that…(I can’t keep coconut oil solid to save my life). Is there anything I can do or add to salvage this and make it a more solid consistency. Once it is all mixed up can I go back and add more beeswax or something. I really like the idea and I hope it will work for me. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I’m very pleased to uncover this web site. If you don’t mind May I also share a word of advice. Fidning a sexy muscles love firm can be dificult, if you reside in Sourthern California and you also have to have a sexy muscles nude man at love, mouse click my link.

24. Tiffany says

I just made a batch the other night & have two things. First, I ended up having enough to make SIX of those little jars. Not a big problem, but just thought readers might want to also be prepared that it may make more than the original instructions. Also, I’m in NC (so, not a very hot climate) & it isn’t wanting to “set up”. It is still as much of a liquid as when it was hot, 48 hrs ago! Any suggestions?!

25. Jill D says

For those that had trouble with this not “setting up” (getting hard enough to not be liquid), try re-melting it and add another tablespoon (or 2, maybe 3?) of the beeswax. I added an extra Tbsp. of wax when I made mine, because I wanted it to be “firmer’ and it did set okay, but I’m planning on re-heating to add ANOTHER tablespoon, as I prefer a thicker/firmer cream. BUT, it does work AWESOME! My severely cracked heels (especially the left one, which regularly bleeds as cracks are very deep – and painful) are almost COMPLETELY healed up, and soft, after less than a week of using this once or twice a day. AWESOME stuff! :)

26. Jennifer H says

I made this tonight and followed Jill D’s recommendation of adding a little extra beeswax. I added about 6 Tbsp, and since I was weighing my ingredients I can tell you that is was 1 1/4 ounce of beeswax. I did use vitamin e oil and just put in 1/4 teaspoon to each jar. (I picked a vitamin e oil from amazon that appeared to have the least additives. I have no idea if it was a great choice.) I ended up with enough salve to fill six of the 4-ounce glass jars. It set up perfectly. For those who hate lavender, though, I do think that it has a distinctly lavender smell–even my four-year-old picked out the lavender scent. I’m excited to put this salve to use!

27. nikki says

Is Melaleuca Essential Oil basically a different name for tea tree oil? I really want to try this for my sensitive skin, also on my kids skin (one as a diaper rash cream, the other child has a slight problem with eczema). I have tea tree oil here at home, I don’t want to go on a wild goose chase if I don’t have too!

Yes, Nikki, Melaleuca is another name (actually part of the Latin/botanical name) for tea tree oil (which I have also seen spelled “ti tree oil” in a couple of books!). It is called “tea tree” because the leaves were sometimes substituted for tea-leaves. The botanical name is Melaleuca alternifolia.

29. Angie says

Jill – I really like the idea of this healing salve but I can not use coconut oil… I am allergic to it and the reaction is worse absorbed topically than ingested. Is there a different oil I could use as a base?

30. Susan says

I love the healing salve but would like to make it a little more firm. I live in a cool climate so don’t need to keep it in refrigerator, but would like it more solid. Would there be any problem adding more beeswax, or would that degrade the healing properties?

Gave some to friends to try out and they love it as well. I know what I’m giving for Christmas this year.

Thank you for all your wonderful tips.

31. Derris says

I finally got around to making this yesterday. I love it! I also got 6 jars when filling, and it set up beautifully. My silly question is… how do I wash my quart mason jar?! It’s so oily, even Dawn isn’t cutting it.

32. Linda says

Hi Jillee,

I have all the things I need to make the salve, but I have a question about the essential oils. The number of drops of each shown. Is that amount for each jar, or to divide among the jars? Thanks. I’m looking forward to some soothing, nice smelling salve to rub on my owies….

xo Linda

33. Bunchie says

Just so excited to make this for my best friend who has the hives too. Also going to make it for myself and put it on my hands and feet. Thanks so much for every thing you do for all of us! I have printed for three days and still finding things I want to learn how to do/make!!! My husband is also excited about all I found and loved the powder laundry I made! The laundry he was buying is almost $18 on sale! You have already made me! It is also making me use things that are good for my health, and that is alot with as many things I have bad.

34. Amy says

Question about the olive oil. Does it HAVE to be organic?? I have EVOO already, but it isn’t organic. I REALLY don’t want to have to buy any more if it doesn’t really matter if it’s organic or not.