Sunday, July 28, 2013

Headache Buster Blend with Essential Oils

headache blend

Since I had to postpone the post I was GOING to do today….until tomorrow…I decided to do a quickie afteroon post and let you know about an essential oil blend that has saved my sanity lately. I am one of those “fortunate” people who get headaches often. I always have a bottle of Excedrin in my purse just in case. Last week I had a headache that wasn’t budging! Excedrin hadn’t touched it, I even tried some Lavender and Peppermint essential oil on my temples and it helped a little, but the headache persisted. My sister Dori (Riches To Rags by Dori) did a little research and came up with a Headache Buster Blend and brought me a roller bottle of it. I applied it to my temples, my forehead and the back of my neck and within 10-15 minutes the headache was gone. It started to come back about 30 minutes later, so I reapplied and after that it was gone for good.

So as my abbreviated and tardy post today…I give to you….the Headache Buster Blend.

headache blend

Click on over to Dori’s original post on this blend for LOTS more information on this lifesaver for headache sufferers!  :-)

I’m convinced the addition of Birch essential oil in this blend is what made all the difference. Like I said above, I tried Lavender and Peppermint with only marginal success…but Birch, I have learned, is a powerful natural pain reliever.  It’s also fairly hard to get ahold of. Spark Naturals recently obtained some, but unfortunately it’s ALMOST sold out.  Only small bottles left now. But they assure me they are working on getting more. Just a little FYI there for ya! :-)

Use the coupon code JILLEE for 10% off ANY Spark Naturals products. :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

50 thoughts on “Headache Buster Blend with Essential Oils

1. Donna

Thanks Jillee on the Headache Buster. Get my Birch oil at Bulk Apothacary.com. $3.64
    Birch Sweet Essential Oil
    Botanical Name: Betula lenta Plant Part: Bark Extraction Method: Steam Distillation Origin: Russia Color: Colorless to pale yellow liquid. Common Uses: Birch Sweet is credited with being an analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-pryetic, anti-rheumatic,…

Works really well alone or with other essentials like Lavender. Great post thanks!

2. Ann/alba

This is perfect I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this, I hate taking tablets for headaches . Lavender & Ice are usually what works for me both i can’t always take with me to work This would be a great solution.

3. Candace

Thanks for the great idea… I am a headache person as well so I can’t wait to try it. Does it have to be fractionated coconut oil or can it be regular coconut oil?

Thanks!

4. Diana

I, too, am one of those “fortunate” ones that gets headaches often. UNfortunately, Excederin makes mine worse due to the caffeine in them. I can’t wait to try this blend. My lavender and peppermint headache pillow helps, but it would be nice to have something I can carry with me everywhere. THANKS!!

5. Mindy

I LOVE the headache blend! I woke up with a really nasty headache the other day and applied this. Within 2-3 minutes, the headache was eased dramatically and within 10 minutes, gone! It did come back about an hour later, but like you said, a second application and POOF! Headache was no more! My son is also loving using the EOs and this one is VERY popular in my house. Thanks for all you (and your sisters) do to help the rest of us!

6. Kathy

I used to have headaches 2-3 times a week and Excedrin was the only thing that helped. However, in preparation for surgery, I had to be off Excedrin for 7-10 days prior to the scheduled date. Amazingly, I did not have headaches after the surgery and learned that many people are prone to “rebound” headaches from taking Excedrin (and perhaps other aspirin products). It takes care of the headache for a period of time, but rebounds in another headache when the medication wears off. Except for occasional allergy induced headaches, I have been headache free for about 7 years. (Warning: you may be in for a really wicked headache, similar to getting off caffeine, for a day or two if you decide to get off Excedrin.)

7. Gail D.

I have found a couple of sites that sell oils at sigificantly lower prices than the site mentioned by Jillee; I have to really watch my pennies!

Is there something else that can be used besides peppermint? I’ve noticed it is used a lot, but I am allergic to it.

Thanks.

8. Jill

Besides our name is the same, I have had headaches ever since I can remember! Excederin was my life! Please be careful I was taking so many Excederin I was rushed to the hospital with a ulcer because of all the aspirin in it. I had to turn to Aspirin free Excedrin. It took awhile for it to work, but it did. Also your body has what they call a rebound headache. After the med. wears off the headache returns. Then you pop more. What a nightmare. Just a FYI! Hope this helps.
    I am going to try your sisters E/O mix.

9. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 8/1/13 – College Fashion

10. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 8/1/13 | FFBlogs

11. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 8/1/13 | ForeverVogue | Because Life is a runway

12. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 8/1/13 | znests.com

13. Pingback: Alternative Health: Essential oils for aromatherapy and massage | KiiCH.com

14. Jane McClure

Wintergreen makes me nauseous so I don’t add it. I think the blend works really well. I put in on my forehead, the back of my neck and if it gets really bad, I put it on the edge of my ears. Hope this helps you like its helped me.

15. Liz Fulcher

As an Essential Oil Educator, I’m deeply concerned about the amount of essential oils used in this blend. The recipe calls for 90 drops of essential oils in a small 5 ml bottle. In my classroom at the Aromatic Wisdom Institute, I teach that a safe percentage for a product like this is 2% to 5%, otherwise you run into problems of irritation and, worse, sensitization — especially with the oils that are chosen for this blend. At 90 drops in a small 5ml bottle this is a 35% blend! Why is it necessary to create such a strong blend? I would be very concerned about the safety issues with this product.

1. Mary

Liz–I’m glad you brought this up. I’m not an expert with regard to EOs at all, but the same concerns popped into my head. Also, most everything I’m reading online states to avoid birch like the plague! Jillee or Dori, can either of you elaborate on the use of birch, as well as the concentration of the EOs? Thank you!!!

16. Pingback: Natural Car Air Freshener – 8 Aromatherapy Blends of 100% Pure Essential Oils (Lavender Ylang Ylang – Vanilla Cinnamon – Eucalyptus Lemongrass – Jasmine Mandarin – Sweet Orange Patchouli …) and Diffuser | Aromatherapy

17. Cindy L

How fragrant is this mix? I work in a cubicle environment with several coworkers close by. Some of them are extremely sensitive to aromas. I’d hate to ease my headache just to cause them to have one.

1. Jillee Post author

It is pretty fragrant, but since these are totally natural aromas as opposed to artificial ones, it might be ok around your coworkers. I would just check with them before using it in the office :)

1. Jillee Post author

Gail, I haven’t tried it on a migraine but I bet it would work! The headache I talked about in the post was practically as bad as a migraine and this blend worked wonders!

18. Joyce

Liz , after reading your concern about the blend , I am wondering why we never got a answer on why this is a bad amount ! From someone who has bad headaches and can’t seem to get relief , peppermint oil will help sometimes a little bit , but this just sounded so great , and with you being a teacher of oils , can you please explain a bit more , before any of us try this , or if anyone has
    Used it have you had any side effects ?

19. Pingback: How To Make A Headache Buster Blend With Essential Oils

20. Pingback: Homemade Headache Buster Blend

21. Nikki

Jillee I just love your blog as well as your sisters’ blogs. Several of your posts are life changing!!! I’m sooo excited to try this as I suffer from (literally) blinding migraines. Blugh! Do you think this could be made into a salve? Thanks in advance!!!

22. janet

I too am wondering now about the concentration. If the amount of EO’s are too great for a small bottle, could we mix the oils into a larger amount of carrier oil? But how much?
    I don’t like the smell of lavender and hope that the other oils will mask it. Or is there another oil that could sub for the lavender?
    Thanks!

1. Kimberly T.

I was just coming to ask the same thing. :). I just bought the relief blend and I’m trying to figure out how many drops to use in a roller bottle. I asked Dori, too. Which sister can answer quicker? Haha

23. Jan

Liz, still waiting on your opinion on what amount of carrier oil to use to make a “safer” blend.
    I have been using this blend but I mixed it with additional amount of carrier oil (can’t remember now how much I used). Seems to help with my mild headaches. I do wonder though, since one would not be using this frequently, nor in a large “dose”, if the original recipe would be more effective.
    Can someone please comment?
    I am making my second batch of it today.
    Jillee and sisters, as always, thank you! You are all such a blessing to share with us!

24. Mamato7

I stumbled upon this website looking for something to help my frequent headaches and prevent me from chugging insane amounts of Tylenol. I mixed up a batch of headache buster rather skeptically, and gave it a try on my next bad headache. Wow!! It really helped. I’ve been using it for a few months and it’s worked on 80% of my headaches! It’s been so helpful that I had to come back and comment and say thanks.