37 Sanity-Saving Kitchen Tips

kitchen tips

Over the years I have gathered a lot of tips and tricks to use in the kitchen. I love anything that makes the considerable time I spend in my kitchen easier, cheaper and more efficient. Here are a few I’ve posted about in the past: The Secret To Perfect Shredded Chicken In SecondsHow To Soften Butter Quickly (Without Using The Microwave), The World’s Easiest Way To Cut A Mango, How To Keep Sliced Apples Fresh Longer, and Crafting The Perfect Cinnamon Roll.

Whether you’re a beginning cook or a home chef pro, we could all use a little help in the kitchen from time to time. These 37 kitchen hacks are some of my favorites and will save your time and your sanity.

kitchen tips

• Neutralize garlic and onion smelling hands by rubbing them with lemon juice, baking soda, or simply rub them on a stainless steel spoon (or on your stainless steel sink). When you touch the material, the molecules in the steel bind with the stink-causing molecules (such as sulfur from garlic).
  • If you accidentally add too much salt to the soup, just drop in a peeled potato. The potato will absorb the excess salt.
  • To clean an electric kettle with calcium buildup on the heating element, boil a mixture of half white vinegar and half water, then empty.

kitchen tips

• To test the freshness of your eggs, place them in about four inches of water. Eggs that stay on the bottom are fresh. If only one end tips up, the egg is less fresh and should be used soon. If it floats, throw it out.
  • If you accidentally burn the gravy, pour it into a clean pan and continue cooking it. Add sugar a little at a time, tasting as you go to avoid over-sugaring it. The sugar will cancel out the burned taste.
  • To rescue a burnt pot of rice, place a piece of white bread on top of the rice for 5-10 minutes to draw out the burned flavor. Be careful not to scrape the burned pieces off of the bottom of the pan when serving.

kitchen tips

• Soak your popcorn kernels in water for 10 minutes before popping, drain the water, then pop as normal. The additional moisture helps the popcorn pop up quicker and fluffier with fewer “old maids.”
  • Store bananas separate from other fruit and separate from each other! Bananas release gases which cause fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Separating them will keep them fresh longer.
  • To keep potatoes from budding in the bag, put an apple in it.
  • Save the water after boiling pasta or potatoes, allow it to cool, and then use it to water your houseplants. The water contains nutrients that plants will love.

kitchen tips

• When defrosting meat from the freezer, pour some vinegar over it. It tenderizes the meat and brings down the temperature of the meat, causing it to thaw quicker.
  • The substance in onions that causes your eyes to water is located in the root cluster of the onion. Cut this part out to reduce the amount of eye discomfort.
  • Activated charcoal is much better at absorbing fridge and freezer odors than baking soda.
  • To clean vases and pitchers, which are impossible to reach with a scrub brush, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets. The bubbles will do the scrubbing.

kitchen tips

• Next time you burn yourself, spread mustard on the affected area. After a few minutes it will begin to ease the pain and prevent blistering.
  • Keep lettuce fresh by wrapping it in a clean, dry paper towel and storing in a resealable plastic bag in the fridge.
  • Remove excess fat from stocks, stews, and sauces by skimming a few ice cubes (wrapped in a paper towel or cheese cloth) along the surface of the liquid. The ice helps the fat solidify, making it easier to remove with a spoon or a piece of toast.
  • Try adding a pinch of salt to your milk carton when you first open it. It will stay fresh days longer.

kitchen tips

• If two drinking glasses become stuck together after stacking, put ice in the inner glass and submerge the outer glass in warm water. The warm glass will expand and the cold glass will contract, making the glasses separate easily.
  • Toss a dried lasagna noodle into a sauce that is too runny. The pasta will absorb the extra liquid without changing the taste or consistency of the sauce. Discard the wet noodle before serving, of course!
  • Keep mashed potatoes warm for up to two hours by placing them in a heatproof bowl and setting the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Cover with a lid or foil. The steam from the water will keep them warm, with no risk of burning.

kitchen tips

• Press a piece of wax paper onto the top of your ice cream before you put the lid back on the pint. This will help prevent condensation from forming an unpleasant icy crust on your Haagen Dazs.
  • Rejuvenate softened sliced cucumbers, radishes, celery and carrots by tossing them with ice cubes and a pinch of salt and placing them in a colander fitted inside a bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so, then pat dry and enjoy your crunchy veggies.
  • To prevent bread from going stale, put a piece of fresh celery in the bag and close it back up.

kitchen tips

• To help ensure freshly baked cakes don’t stick to the bottom of the cake pan, let the pan cool on a damp towel for a few minutes just after it comes out of the oven. Then loosen the sides and invert onto a platter; your cake should slide out easily.
  • Almost every baking recipe calls for eggs and butter at room temperature. To speed this process along for eggs, place them in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes and you’re ready to get cracking.
  • For the butter, cut the butter into tiny pieces and leave them out on the counter for about an hour. Or, place a whole, wrapped stick of butter in a re-sealable plastic bag. Float in a bowl of hot water until soft.

kitchen tips

• When you’re out of buttermilk, make your own by combining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup milk. Stir and let stand for 10 minutes.
  • If your baked good recipe calls for nuts or berries, toss them with flour before adding to the batter to keep them from settling to the bottom of the pan.
  • If you have spare egg yolks or whites and need a whole egg for a recipe, either mix 2 egg yolks with 1 tablespoon water, or mix 2 egg whites with 4 tablespoons vegetable oil.

kitchen tips

• Instead of plastic wrap, use shower caps to cover bowls, loaves of bread, plates, etc. Rinse (if necessary), dry, and reuse!
  • When making toasted sandwiches place two pieces of bread in a single toaster slot for a slice that’s crispy and warm on the outside yet soft and chewy in the middle.
  • Scoop up bits of broken eggshell from batter or a bowl of cracked eggs with half of an eggshell. The shell acts as a magnet to draw up shell pieces without wasting too much egg.
  • When roasting items such as French fries and veggies, pre-heating your cookie sheet eliminates the need to flip halfway through. NOT suggested for baked goods like cookies.

kitchen tips

• Sour cream and cottage cheese have a short shelf life, usually 7-10 days after being opened. But if you want to store one of them for longer, then all you need to do is invert the container and keep it in the fridge.
  • Avoid plastic wrap frustration by storing the roll in the fridge. Chilling the wrap makes it easier to handle and transport from the roll to your bowl.
  • When wooden spoons don’t exactly look (or smell) like they used to, boil them in a pot of water and leave them lying in the sun to dry.

What are your favorite kitchen tips and tricks?

Facebook483Twitter19Pinterest3163Google+15

Comments

1. linda says

I have found that undressed cut salad stays fresh if you line the storage bowl with a paper towel and also cover the top with paper towel before sealing with the lid. Stays crisp and fresh , even if there are cukes and tomatoes in the salad.

2. Susan D says

I use clothes pins on anything in a bag…cereal, crackers, chips etc. Keeps them much fresher and neater. How many times have you looked in a box of cereal and the bag is not folded over tight and now it’s all stale?!

3. Jenna says

Freeze fresh ginger root:
    Place your unpeeled ginger in a freezer-safe container; label it; and pop it in the freezer. It’s really that simple.
    To use your ginger:
    Simply remove a piece from the freezer, and grate as much as you need. There’s no need to thaw it first; in fact, frozen ginger is actually easier to grate than fresh.

4. Nerida says

Hi Jillee,

In your post ’37 Ways To Keep Food Fresh Longer’, you say:

“Avoid separating bananas until you plan to eat them – they spoil less quickly in a bunch. Store bananas at room temperature until they ripen. Freeze over-ripened bananas for use in banana bread and other baked goods.”

But in this post you say:

“Store bananas separate from other fruit and separate from each other! Bananas release gases which cause fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Separating them will keep them fresh longer.”

Have you tried both methods? Which one works best? I’ve always stored any fruit on a stem, including tomatoes, on the stem until I use them and I’ve found they usually last longer. But I’ve never thought to separate bananas from the stem to slow the ripening.

• liz says

They spoil more quickly in a bunch, unless you manage to cover the stems. The stem is where the gas is released. Ever notice how organic bananas have their stems covered? And seem to last forever? Yeah, that’s why. I just used a plastic grocery sack and wrapped it around the stems and tied it off. It helped some. I bet if u dipped them in wax or something it would help alot. But, seriously, who would take the time or effort to do that? So, i just buy smaller bunches more often and I don’t have that problem.

5. Kathy says

Instead of Alka-Seltzer, I use Denture Cleaning Tablets to clean everything from vases to baked on food. It’s really good for cleaning baby bottle nipples and straws for covered water bottles.

• Janet Urquhart says

I too like to use denture tablets to clean my travel mugs from tea stains. I used to use hot water, dish soap, bleach and let sit overnight. Rinse in the morning, let air dry & then use.

Now all I do is fill with hot water, plop in a tablet, let sit overnight. In the morning I lightly run a bottle brush in it, rinse and use. Absolutely love it! I even use it on my regular tea cups.

• Janet says

I use denture cleaning tablets to clean my travel mugs to clean off . .. . I used to fill with hot water, soap, capful of bleach and wait overnight. Rinse really well in the morning and let air dry.

Now all I do is fill with hot water, plop a denture tab in and wait overnight, give a little swish with a bottle brush and use.

• CTY says

Sorry to leave the kitchen—Denture tablets will also clean the toilet bowl. Flush to make sure the whole bowl is wet. Crush a tablet and sprinkle on the bowl stain areas (sometimes a whole tablet in the standing water part too). The wet surface should be enough to start the fizzing (if not mist plain water on it). I let it bubble a bit & then use the toilet brush on it. This is particularly effective after a clog has been cleared and the plunger/snake has left marks. I have also dissolved a tablet in the tank part to clean it.

6. Mari says

Wow! This is my new kitchen bible. I can only remember a few tips right now and they’re not as awesome as the ones in this list but:

•We keep cereals in the fridge instead of the pantry. This keeps them fresh for AGES without going stale. Don’t even need a clip.
    •Whenever I have to peel a tomato I cut a shallow “x” on the top, boil for under a minute and dunk in ice water and the peels come right off.
    •To keep weevils from appearing in your grains or flour, store them in the freezer for at least 5 days before moving to their usual location.
    •If your stainless flatware ever rusts, leave submerged in lemon juice for less than an hour and the rust will be gone.

Sorry for the length but I hope this does some good!

7. liz says

For the pasta water tip, make sure you don’t salt the water! If you pour salted water on your plants, it will kill them. Also, you can put used really bags in cold water and use the diluted yea to water them

8. vickie says

I’m from Hawaii and when I was a kid, my father raised our own bananas. He would cut down the bunch, hang the entire bunch the same direction it was growing from a rafter in the garage. He would drape the whole bunch under a canvas to keep it all dark. Then he would cut off the hands as they would ripen, and they would ripen from the top. We would have fresh bananas for weeks. If what you say is true, we’d have had bananas ripen all at once.

Love all these tips and tricks – so helpful! I compiled a list of essential pantry items that will ensure you have supplies on hand to easily prepare a wide range of dishes:

The tip I get the most feedback on in this post is to buy packages of ground meats (especially when they are on sale) and cook them up with onions and garlic, then freeze the cooked, seasoned meat in small portions. They’re ready to quickly defrost in the microwave and use in many ways (pasta sauces, chili, tacos and much more).

I also like to put meat (flank steak, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, etc. into marinades or brines and freeze them. They’ll start to tenderize as they freeze and finish the job while thawing prior to cooking. It’s usually faster to thaw pre-marinated meat than it is to wait out the minimum marinating time (12 hours, approx) with fresh meat!

Thanks again for sharing all your great ideas!

10. Courtney says

Where, oh WHERE did you buy that Honey Haagen daz? I’ve been looking for that flavor for YEARS, as they don’t sell it in the South anymore( I don’t think). I found some in Canada on vacation, and ate it en route to the airport at 6am!

11. Sharon H says

I’m so glad you mentioned storing the sour cream and cottage cheese upside down! I was going to tell you that because it truly works, especially if you buy larger containers from membership stores. And since we know the lower shelves nearer to the back are the coldest, that’s the best place to keep them. This tip also works well with containers of potato salad, or anything like it…..even your own homemade salads.

Why does this work? It’s the air trapped inside that increases the growth of bacteria that we introduce into the container each time we use it. Seriously, you didn’t know you were introducing bacteria into your foods? I know you’re as clean as possibly you can be…..but your hands and utensils are NOT sterile. Hence, bacteria from your freshly washed spoon is bacteria laden…sorry. BUT that’s the beauty of inverting these containers. Reducing the uppermost air pocket inside by turning upside down, is half the key to success. The other half is convincing the other members of your household to consistenly follow your example!

12. BOOTS THOMAS says

I like Crystal Light…but if you mix it and do not drink it for a few days, a film forms on the bottom of the bottle. Pour in about an inch of water…add about a Tablespoon of rice, and shake and swirl. The film comes right out!

13. BOOTS THOMAS says

The water and rice works on cleaning almost any bottle you can’t get in and clean. My husband was a coke bottle collector and he also dug antiques in old wells. He used this method to clean bottles!

Gosh, your tips are always so timely!
    I use my grill pan with the holes elusively now roasting vegetables in my oven. After cutting my vegetables into a bowl, I mist them with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt, pepper, COCOA POWDER (yeah-TRUST. ME.) cayenne and paprika, toss them well to distribute everything and then put them on the pan.
    The less oil I use makes especially the asparagus crispier, and the cocoa makes a much deeper flavor.
    I also use that pan for BISCOTTI, to eliminate all that turning after slicing. LOVE that pan.

15. Debbie says

thank you so much for sharing all your tips and tricks! Your idea about using a shower cap as a bowl cover is great! I use “processing caps” from Sally’s, they’re much cheaper (100 for about $3.99). If they get stained or tear, just throw away.

• Ann says

I do too! They’re also clear so you can see what’s in the bowl. lol They also work great as shoe covers when packing. I place them over my shoes with the soles down into the covers and the opening on the upper part of the shoe. Works like a charm!

Thanks Jillee for the wonderful tips!

16. CTY says

This is why OGT is awesome!
    My latest trick–
    When I bake a fresh loaf of bread: I slice it and put it back in the pan & place the whole pan in a plastic bag (will try the shower cap trick). This keeps the bread from getting crushed and now I don’t have to find a place to store the loaf pan because it is always in use.
    I’ll be back later to read some more.

17. Kathy says

I’ve seen a couple people mention that they will have a hard time remembering all of this wonderful advice, so here’s my kitchen tip about these kitchen tips. Jillee provides us with a ‘Clean Print’ button at the bottom of her posts, just above the advertising video. Click on it, play around with the tools on the left side of the page (ie. remove images, font size, etc.) and then print the page out. I go through and also delete all the spacing to save on paper use and I also delete tips that I know I will never get use from (sorry, there are a couple, hard to believe, I know). Now, tape it inside a cupboard door, the front page of a favorite recipe book, inside your recipe box, OR start a Jillee three-ring binder to keep all of your favorite tips she provides us with.

Don’t have a printer? Save all of your Jillee posts to a folder in your email, title it appropriately, and look through it as often as necessary. One other option would be to copy it on to a Word document and save there. Not sure how to do any of that? Write down some of your favorites and then store where ever it works best for you. :)

• Bookworm says

I hadn’t ever tried it until now, but, yes, it works like a charm. You can also “add a note”, useful if, like me, you find some good hints in these comments and want to include them. Just remember to open this same page in another tab (or window) first, so you can copy a comment from one tab and paste into your document in the other tab. Or if you’re more comfortable with your word processor (MS Word or whatever), go ahead and “output” it to “text” and edit it there, adding and subtracting what you want.

• Karol says

If you don’t have a printer, you can print to a pdf file and save it to your computer I use free dopdf and highlight what I want to print and save to my recipe folder on my computer. dopdf.com. it installs as a printer so when you click print, just select dopdf as the printer, click print ‘selection’ to print what you selected and then proceed as if you were printing to paper. If you want the whole page, don’t click selection. Browse and save the selected file to the proper folder on your computer

I’m sure there are other programs out there to print to .pdf too but this one works just fine for me. Have been using it for years.
      Karol

18. S says

In first aid courses I have always told told to put the burned area under cold water immediately to stop the burn getting deeper/larger and keep it there until you can no longer feel the burning sensation. If burn deep or large, seek medical advice.

19. Claire R says

My grandmother taught me this: for a small burn (dime size or less) from accidentally touching a hot pan or whatever, cover immediately with your hand and apply pressure. Hold for 30 seconds. No blister will develop and the area will hurt much less. All I can say is it has always worked for me.

20. Deborah says

It’s nice that all these great tips are given freely when so many “as seen on TV” books are sold for $9.00 – $15.00. The books Who Knew, or Chief Tony are making money doing what Jillee and others do for free, so thanks Jillee you save us a lot of money.

21. STACEY says

My favorite idea (among others) is to use a magnetic clip (silver and metal) and spray paint it the color of your range hood (mine’s black) to use to attach your recipes as you cook…………………so nice………..

22. Carlyarny says

Jillee, I just love your blogs, thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    I used to throw out a lot of spinach that I didn’t get around to juicing, then I found by, giving the bunches a good rinse, then laying them evenly still in their bunches onto paper towels, which in turn have been placed on clean tea-towel, then I cover the top with another paper towel, and roll the spinach up, folding in the edges, so that it is a nice roll. (I trying to demonstrate with my hands while typing…Difficult!!!) The moisture that is in the spinach will keep it fresh. I have kept spinach for over two weeks in the vege compartment in the fridge, just by replacing paper towels, and keeping the tea towel moist.
    Also, because I use beets in my juice, I cut up each beet, and vacuum pack each one, so it is available when needed, eliminates the need to pull on the gloves each time, and also keeps for a longer time in the fridge.

23. Comet says

Binder clips! We all have so MANY cords to keep track of and charge and binder clips are the answer! You can label them with a Sharpie or a stick on label. To use near where you are going to charge something unhook the silver wire part from one side; slide the charger plug end in; re-attach the silver wire. Then use the clip grip part to grab onto the charging station. table top, clip board or if your spot does not have a thin enough part to clip to clip these to something that DOES have a thin part—think a binder or clip board or even just a piece of cardboard—and place that where it will not fall behind anything! You can also use a cup hook to hold these under a desk or cabinet—use your tablet in the kitchen for recipes or Jillee tips? Keep the cord safe and reachable!

Buy a few charger cords and place them where you need them secured this way—bedroom; kitchen; living room–I even have some in the car to keep those peskly car charger cords sorted and clipped out of the way. Even used this when installing a new car stereo to keep the cords UNDER the dash!

I use them for clipping partly used soup packs; open cereal and crackers packs; holding a recipe card —clip card and then hang from your cabinet handle! Add a magnet and you can use for storage on fridge or for a recipe holder on stove hood. I use them too for holding money and my cards in a small wallet so they don’t all fall out—I also have to DO something before I SPEND that money or USE that card so it helps me THINK about that!

One more non-clip tip—Wrap your hard cheese in a piece of cheesecloth (avail at the canning section of most stores) or muslin wrung out in apple cider vinegar and then overwrap with wax paper. Use this EVERY time you slice some and the cheese will stay fresh.

24. Jennifer Salins says

I love these kind of tips….Must try the popcorn one. And I hate throwing away water that I boiled something in. I know it isn’t drinkable, but I can’t just throw it away. I water my plants with it.

25. raralee says

You can use water from cooking veg as a soup base too! I love the popcorn idea will def try that one. I keep hard heels of cheese and grate for when I run out of parmesan. I also keep bread that has gone stale in freezer until I need fresh breadcrumbs for a recipe. I store butter in freezer too for emergencies as it can stay frozen safely for ages.The buttermilk tip is great as it is very difficult to buy locally!!

26. Anne H says

My favorite kitchen tips:

Spray bread with Butter Flavor PAM instead of spreading with butter or margarine before making grilled cheese. The bread will get nice and crisp instead of soggy with butter and you save a few calories.

And EVERYTHING in my fridge is upside down! It keeps longer without all that air infiltration!

And EVERYTHING that is in bags in my pantry has a clothes pin on it. So much cheaper than all those plastic ones that are not as tight as clothes pins!

27. christy m says

Great tips. My favorite tips are to save the plastic liners from
    Your cereal or cracker boxes. Rinse them out first, let them dry.
    You can use them for storing stuff like spinach for salads in the crisper. They’re also great for storing frozen stuff.
    Another favorite is using parchment paper when baking. It’s
    Great because you can use it when baking cookies, no rinsing
    Required in between batches. It’s also great to use when baking
    Gluten free stuff.

many items will last much longer if stored upside down, especially yogurt which has a long shelf life anyway. but, when they’re on sale, you can stock up, store them upside down, and they’ll remain fresh and tasty for months. others that this helps with are nut butters, mayonnaise, mustard, jams and jellies, any milk product, and jarred sauces and fruits.

jd in st louis

29. Melissa says

Recently, I read about a project undertaken by Jihyun Ryou who wants to create a sort of database about traditional food storage techniques used in different countries back in the days when we didn’t have such sophisticated storage units. After the initial research he has created some very interesting food storage solutions. You can see them here.

Some of the most interesting facts were that root vegetables would actually last longer if stored in vertical position. Also, according to Mr Ryou’s research, eggs have a porous surface which absorbs smells. So, if your eggs have an odd taste (and you have done the water test), you might want to consider placing them in an enclosed container.

P.S. Jillee, I really thing your post is awesome and you should participate in Jihyun Ryou’s project with some of your tips.

Best wishes,

Melissa from Paul’s Cleaning Sydney

30. shainy says

buttermilk – to make buttermilk just boil milk, allow it to cool to lukewarm temperature and add a bit of yoghurt in it.
    adding lime juice to milk will curdle it and you can drain off the whey into a mesh cloth to get cottage cheese.

31. Jacquie says

I love your blog Jillie, not sure what I did before you existed. Pinterest and Jillie pretty much help me run my home, save money, and try new things that save time. I found the mustard on burns very interesting. I do run any burns under cold water first and then immediately put on honey. Keep the honey on as long as you can, it takes away the pain and NO blistering. I have used this many times and it works. I bet the mustard would too, but it would be harder to keep on the burn, depending where it is.
    Thanks for all the research you do and the love and dedication you share with the blog world!

32. Jeannie says

Thanks for all the great tips. I have a few that may be helpful.1. To get that yucky onion smell off of your hands after cutting onions. Under running water wipe a stainless steel knife back and forth over the palms of your hands. (wash your hands first) Be careful not to cut yourself. It really works. 2. If you get burned separate an egg or two ( according to how bad the burn is) rub the white of the egg over the burn. It works really fast. I poured boiling water on my hand, (you just have to know me..lol) and I used this, it worked great. no scar and I was back cooking within a minute or two. hope these help.

33. noseinabook says

I store my mixed salad in my salad spinner and it has been as crisp four days later as it was the first day.
    I keep binder clips to close bags in my kitchen and to control cords throughout my home. The dollar stores have decorative ones that are inexpensive.
    If you don’t have time to cook ground meat before freezing, place in zip-lock bags and flatten to fill the entire bag (air is the enemy in the freezer). The meat is easier to store and defrosts in about 30 minutes.
    I place plastic wrap on the surface of my ice-cream and never have ice crystals form.
    This post had some I’ve never seen before and I want to say, “Thanks!”.

34. Humera says

Thanks for the wonderful tips!!
    My best tip in the kitchen is to store cilantro in a container of water in the fridge like a bouquet… Just remove the rubber band , wash the bunch n place in a yogurt container with water… The cilantro stays fresh for almost 2 weeks!!

35. LaurenLL says

When the top of my refrigerator gets dirty, I pour on vegetable oil and wipe it off. Usually, the dirt up there is a combo of grease and dust, so this loosens it up in no time. Then, spray with your regular cleaner(mine is vinegar, a little dish soap, and water) and wipe.
    -Use a coffee grinder to make small amounts of bread crumbs. Also works to make your own rice flour, grind whole flaxseed, and oat flour.
    -make your own croutons with the heels of bread.
    -line your vegetable and meat drawers with newspapers; soaks up liquids and makes it a breeze to clean.
    -When I use just part of a vegetable like onion or peppers, I wrap the vegetable in plastic wrap and place in a clear jar with the lid on and keep it on a shelf where I can see it. No more wasted veggies.
    -I cut up holey t-shirts and use them for cleaning rags.
    -Instead of using commercial antibacterial cleaners(which I would never use), I fill a spray bottle with 1/3-1/2 full with bleach, then top it off with water.

36. Sandy says

You can chop onions without weeping if you’ll hold an un-struck match between your teeth. I was told the chemicals in the match tip neutralize the tear-producing effects from the onion before they can reach your eyes. Another trick is to hold a slice of sandwich bread between your lips. It works, but then salivation steps in to cause the bread to start breaking and dropping to the cutting surface-a pain, but really funny!