I have been making this all-purpose healing salve for years and it has become a staple in my medicine cabinet. It’s made up of simple ingredients like coconut oil, olive oil, pure essential oils from Spark Naturals, and a splash of vitamin E to create an organic salve with Neosporin-like properties. A salve that will protect, disinfect AND moisturize! Believe me, this is one workhorse of a salve that you’ll reach for over and over again.
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer as well as antibacterial. Olive oil has antioxidants and other anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender essential oil is your skin’s best friend. Not only does it calm the senses, it also has amazing healing properties as a tissue restorative. Lemon essential oil cleanses and disinfects with fragrant antiseptic qualities. And finally, Melaleuca essential oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal!
All-Purpose Healing Salve
by Camp Wander
- 1 cup organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 cup quality olive oil
- 4 Tbsp beeswax pastilles
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil (optional)
Oil Blend (per 4 ounces of salve):
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 8 drops Lemon essential oil
- 6 drops Melaleuca essential oil
- 3 to 4 drops vitamin E oil
Add the coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax to your 1-quart mason jar. Fill a large saucepan halfway with warm water, set your burner on low-to-medium heat, and slowly melt the ingredients in the warm bath, stirring with a knife or skewer every few minutes until melted.
While melting and stirring, line up your four 4 oz glass jam jars. To each 4 oz jar, add the essential oils and vitamin E oil in the amounts listed above.
Now you’re ready to fill each jar with the melted mixture. Carefully fill each jar to a half inch below the rim. Let the jars cool until the salve hardens. (You can top the jars with a paper towel while cooling to keep dust, bugs etc from invading your lovely jars of salve!)
Secure the lids tightly after the salve has solidified. This salve has a shelf life of approximately one year, depending on humidity, heat etc. Note: the consistency of salve should be soft, but solid enough not to splash around in the jar.
Although this salve was originally made to treat rough gardener’s hands, there are so many different ways to use it. I’ve seen comments touting reader’s success of using this salve in dozens of different ways. Here’s a few ideas to get you started!
12 Uses for All-Purpose Healing Salve
1. Hand moisturizer for extremely dry skin. (It’s a gardener’s best friend!)
2. Treating dry, cracked heels and crusty elbows.
3. An all-purpose moisturizer for dryer climates.
4. Soothes and heals chapped lips or any chapped skin. Make your salve more portable by scooping some into an old lip balm tin.
5. Soothes welts, burns, insect bites, and bee stings!
6. Great for diaper rash. Keep a small lip balm pot of salve in your purse AND diaper bag!
7. Keep your animals in mind! Treat sunburned noses, gashes, heat spots, and post surgical wounds. The taste of Lavender and Melaleuca will keep your pets from licking at their wounds. (A word of caution: the Lemon essential oil in this makes it unsuitable for cats. Cats are highly sensitive to citrus oils.)
8. Antiseptic, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties make it great for cuts, scrapes and post-wound care for kids and adults!
9. Wonderful for elderly folks and their thin, fragile skin.
10. Great for scaly scalp!
11. A go-to treatment for eczema breakouts.
12. Hand sanitizer and moisturizer in one!
As always, make sure to use the coupon code JILLEE for an extra 10% off your order when ordering products from Spark Naturals.