Make Your Own Shapeable Ice Pack

icepack2

My youngest child re-injured his previously dislocated knee cap a couple of days ago attempting to do 6 backflips in a row on a trampoline!
“Mother Of The Year” here forgot to have him wear his knee brace for his “Big Air” tumbling class. (A professional snowboarder comes in and teaches the boys how to do big air tricks.  They LOVE it! But don’t call it “tumbling” to their face…they will deny having anything to do with it!)  ;-)
Anyhoo……..we have been doing the R.I.C.E. thing our doctored recommended (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and it occurred to me that there had to be a better way to do the icing part than with a big, bag of hard chunks of ice from an ice maker.

Guess what? There is! Shocking huh? My friend Google and I came up with dozens of “recipes” for SHAPEABLE ice packs…but they all boil down to about the same thing…..

To make your own shapeable ice pack:

• Mix 1 part rubbing alcohol with 3 parts water in a ziploc bag and put in the freezer. (The alcohol will prevent the water from freezing completely.)
  • When it’s frozen, wrap with a towel or cloth of some sort and apply.

That’s it!  Works like a charm!   Our “big air acrobat” seems to be improving nicely.

For those who like to take things to the NEXT LEVEL….you can even whip up a little pillowcase-style flannel cover for your ice pack like this one here at DisDressed. Cute huh?  I doubt my son would go for the polka dots though….wonder if I can find any XBox flannel???

icepack3

OR….you can even make several different sizes (for different sized boo-boos) and colors like I found at My Country Haven.

Tip:  If the mixture freezes too hard, just add a little more alcohol.  If it’s too slushy, add a little more water.

icepack4

Now you’re ready for life’s inevitable bumps and bruises!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter28Pin on Pinterest1,084,833Google+14

Comments

1. Anonymous says

My husband had shoulder surgery and this is the best thing we've done for him. It's just great to lay over his shoulder.

2. KK says

Do you have a recipe to make those (blue) cold packs that you freeze and put in a cooler to take drinks/food on a driving trip?

KK– good ol’ regular blue dawn works great for those! That’s what I use. I put about 1/2 C-3/4 C of regular strength blue dawn in a heavy duty baggie (I also have a few that I have done with my vacuum sealer.) it keeps everything nice and cold! I put one in my homemade insulated lunch bag and it keeps everything chilled all day long!

• Skinner says

Just put dish washing liquid in a ziploc bag and freeze. I use a food vacuum sealer to keep foods fresh and I put the dish detergent in there, got as much air out as possible then put in freezer. Holds the cold quite well but will freeze solid

3. Mindy says

This is a wonderful idea and you could make different covers for them too. How about camo print flannel (comes in regular camo/pink camo/blue camo) or many NFL/NBA/NCAA/NHL teams have fabric with the team logo/mascot.

4. Heather says

Corn syrup works great. It gets cold,and squishy. Plus you can add food coloring.

5. Karen says

Just found this post via Pinterest…and I LOVE it! Thanks for this great tip!!

Question – do you have a tutorial for the icepack holder? Some of us are sewing challenged and need step-by-step instructions. :-)

6. Lorinda M says

Great idea – beats the bag of peas! I’m going to put it in a vacuum sealer bag and seal it just to be safe.