"The Flour Game" – A FUN Holiday Tradition!

therobeybunch.blogspot.com

Tonight we were sitting around the dinner table celebrating my new daughter-in-laws birthday, and laughing hysterically as we reminisced about past birthday’s and otherfunny family moments. Honestly, there’s nothing that makes me laugh harder than listening to “family stories” as told by my kids, or siblings, or nephews, etc.  We were all practically crying at one point…and by the time we finally forced ourselves to stop (we could have gone on all night!)…our faces hurt from laughing so much.

Good times!

This photo shows a quarter on top, I much prefer
a Lifesaver if I’m going to have to put it in my mouth!
thespiceinlife.blogspot.com

Afterwards I started reflecting on “funny family moments” from days gone by and remembered one holiday tradition in our family that GUARANTEED lots of laughter….and FUN!

The Flour Game! We only played it once a year at our annual Christmas party…and it was always the highlight! :-)

To play the game (according to our family’s version) you fill a teacup with flour, packing it firmly, flip it over onto a plate, and place a Lifesaver candy on the top of it.  Each person takes a turn cutting the flour with a knife, and whoever makes the lifesaver FALL, has to fish it our with their mouth! No hands allowed! As you can imagine, hilarity often ensued! As kids I remember we couldn’t WAIT to play The Flour Game at the Christmas Party! It is definitely one of our most treasured holiday traditions.

Since I don’t have any evidence pictures of our family playing this goofy game (I really need to ask my Mom about what old photos she might have)…I decided to poke around the internet and see if there were any other people out there that liked to have “fun with flour!”  Guess what!?!  There ARE! Not many….but a few…and here are a few photos of some of their exploits just to give you an idea of just how fun/silly/crazythis game is….and why kids (and adults) love it so much!

orvdubs.blogspot.com
therealclarissaexplainsitall.blogspot.com
lacduboisbemidji.villagepages.org
neencrochet.blogspot.com
caitlynpassey.blogspot.com

You simply CANNOT look at these pictures and not want to give it a try! :-)  So why not implement a new holiday tradition this year and give The Flour Game a try??
Just make sure to take LOTS of pictures and share them with the rest of us! :-)

Share on Facebook728Tweet about this on Twitter10Pin on Pinterest117687Google+9

Comments

1. Calley says

Love your blog! I have a really funny story about this game. I was in student council when I was in high school, and one year I managed to get put on the unofficial committee for pep rally games, which I was terrible at. Anyway, one week, this game was our inspiration for a game we designed, where there were gummy worms baked into a cake and the goal was to fish as many gummy worms out of the cake as possible. The problem was that the gummy worms had melted into the cake. Those of us who were playing (we were all in student council and had baked the cakes anyway) had to just go with it, and pretend that we were getting the gummy worms out. Moral of the story: Stick to flour or powdered sugar. And already tried and true pep rally games.

2. coni says

Our family would play this at the beach with sand and a stick. Instead of fishing it out with our mouth the loser would have to jump in the water. We go to Santa Cruz, the water isn’t very warm

3. Missy says

My family and I play it a little different. We hide the quarter in the flour before we pack it in. Whoever’s cut hits the quarter or finds the quarter has to get it out without their hands.

4. Lori says

You can turn this into a race. We would hide a piece of candy at the bottom of several plate of flour and then people race to see who can find and pick up the piece of candy first. Of course they would do this without using their hands. Used to play this when I was in the youth group. Makes for some great photos and videos.

5. natalie says

Flour can trigger asthma. My dad worked in a commercial bakery for over 30 years and he developed asthma from breathing in all that flour. With that being said, I don’t think playing this game once or twice a year will trigger asthma.

6. Kat says

We use to play this game with a square of a Hershey’s bar. And we played it a little different too, but your version sounds fun. You need to use flour to make it more interesting because who wants to taste flour just to get to a piece of chocolate? We use to get into so many flour fights. I’ll have to dig out those pictures….

7. Emily says

When I checked this out I never expected to see so many negative comments. When I was a child kids played in in the mud played fun silly games like this and always had fun doing it. Children were also very healthy back then. Not these days. Every other child seems to have asthma or some kind of allergy. Anti bacterial soap seems to be everywhere you go. Yes being sanitary is a good thing but children need to be exposed to certain things to allow their immune system to develop. Of course being exposed to flour for years on a permanent basis can cause asthma but not by playing a playing with it once in a while. Loosen up people. Let kids be kids again.

• Shanna says

I agree with you, children are very sheltered these days. We live in the country our kids play in the mud and get dirty, but I do have a daughter that has asthma and dust triggers it. This would be horrible for her to do, I woudln’t let my other daughter do it either. Sometimes we learn from things we “used to do back then” and learn a few weren’t so smart. Sorry no disrespect I would just hate to see someone have to deal with what my daughter deals with because of the flour game.

• Erin says

I totally agree!!!!! A little flour in the mouth /nose isn’t gonna “kill” anybody. People do need to loosen up and just as you said let kids be kids!!! I’m only 30 years old with a 3 year old of my own; and I let her try new things all the time; if we shelter her too much she’ll just end up in a bubble. And its sad that now a days everyone’s so worried about the tiniest little things, and what “could” happen. I plan on doing this with her soon when summer hits; and I will let you all know what the outcome was. Thanks for the post and just remember people “LIVE MORE!” You only have one life; put your face in some flour and play on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

8. Fressia says

This game sounds awesome and hilarious, I’d love to try it out with my primary kids at church. However since I have kids as young as 3 I’m also concerned about inhaling the flour….. Not for asthma, because playing it once in a blue moon won’t do any harm, but laughing so hard in the moment you snort in the flour. What about playing it with something like…… Whipped cream? Is that “cutable”? I really want to play this game!!

• Anna says

Whipped cream by itself would really hold much nor be very cutable, unless…you FROZE IT!! :D As a kid I would freeze whipped cream and scoop it out like ice cream on to a bowl of strawberries. It holds its shape better and the kids could still cut it (even those 3s). OR I bet doing this with ice cream would be fun, especially on a hot day outside with the ultimate goal being to cool off and have fun getting messy in the ice cream/whipped cream as they try to play the game. Good luck! I’d love to hear how it works out! I have a pre-k class in which I might consider doing this. Thanks for giving me the idea to find other spaces for this game and make other variations of the game to share with my work in pre-k.

• Kira says

When using whipped cream, I found it was best to use non-dairy whipped topping instead of real cream. I had a bunch of “rotten milk” smellin’ preschoolers even after cleaning them all up! Try explaining that to bunch of parents after church…oooppss!

9. Taylor says

We used to microwave the flour in the cup for a few seconds, it seems to help it hold together more once you starting putting your face in it and snorting :) Just make sure you don’t get it too hot.. I played this game for hours every friday night with my friends all through middle school and none of us had any issues. We would choke occassionally but it wasn’t anything a few *cough cough* and a drink couldn’t fix. We used starbursts on top, easy to grab and easy to see in the flour. Try it!! I’m going to make the boyfriend play very soon :)

Thanks for this post!! Brings back some epic memories :)

10. Rach says

I’ve heard this done and it sounds like fun. I don’t super-shield my kids. We get dirty. We get grazes and bruises.
    But a friend of mine did play this once and someone (an adult!) ended up being rushed to hospital after inhaling the flour. 99% of the time I’m sure there has been no negative outcome. But there have been incidents.

11. Billy says

We do this with cocaine, the kids love it. If they inhale it, it just hits them faster. Admittedly we have had to use CPR on them a few times and take them to the ER, but it’s all fun and games and they’ve learned a valuable life less about moderation.

12. Jenna Belle says

We call this Puff the Dragon. We have the kids wear swim goggles and play outside where they can blow the flour everywhere. Instead of a lifesaver we bury bubble gum- the first one to blow a bubble wins. So fun!

We are looking for enthusiastic and hardworking individuals to join
    our team working in our warehouse situated in Garngoch Industrial Estate.

Due to the nature of Web Sales we are looking to create a pool of
    staff to work the next day when requested from 8am to 5:
    30pm.
    You will be expected to work at a fast pace and general duties include picking and packing orders
    from our growing web retail business.

The rate of pay is £6.75 per hour. Hours are 8am –
    5.30pm

If you are interested in the position please forward your CV to this advertisement.

You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation however I to find this matter to be really something which I feel I
    might by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and
    very wide for me. I’m having a look ahead on your next
    publish, I’ll attempt to get the dangle of it!