Heaven-Sent Peanut Butter Cookies

It’s been a long time since I’ve made Gluten-FILLED cookies. :-)  But the stars seemed to align this week for me to make this “heavenly” cookie.

A couple of days ago I was asked to make cookies for a funeral luncheon. That SAME day I saw these posted on Pinterest. They are called “Halfway To Heaven Peanut Butter Cookies” and they had me salivating the second I saw them!

Does anyone remember Nutter Butters? Do they still MAKE Nutter Butters? I honestly couldn’t tell you. It’s been SO long since I’ve had one….but I remember as a kid being slightly obsessed with them. I’ve always had a weakness for goodies made with Peanut Butter. (Check out the Homemade Peanut Butter Cups I made recently…..amazing!)

Anyway, these remind me a lot of Nutter Butters….only a thousand times better! :-)  The addition of oats lightens the cookie and makes it chewy at the same time…and the “filling” is so creamy and smooth…but not TOO sweet.  Overall….it’s a WINNER with a capital “W” in my book!

I do have one SMALL problem with these cookies, however. The name. It just doesn’t seem right to take cookies to a funeral luncheon that are called “Halfway To Heaven Peanut Butter Cookies”. :-/

Not that I’m superstitious or anything…but just for good measure…I am renaming them…

“Heaven-Sent Peanut Butter Cookies”

Adapted from broma bakery

For the cookie dough:

3 cups quick oats
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural Peanut Butter Spread with Honey)
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs

For the filling:

1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups smooth peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (oats, flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.) Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl (or mixer), mix peanut butter, softened butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.

Pour dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture, stirring until just mixed. (Don’t forget to scrape the bottom of the bowl.)

Place rounded teaspoonfuls of cookie dough on an ungreased, foil-lined baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between each one. (I used a jelly roll pan and was able to fit 5 short rows of 4 cookies – 20 total). Using your fingers, gently pat dough down so they form small semi-flattened circles.

Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely on cookie sheet before removing.

While the cookies are baking, whisk together the powdered sugar and peanut butter until light and airy, about 5 minutes.

On your work surface, place half of the cookies upside down. Whisk the filling to lighten it.  Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of each upside down cookie. Place second cookie on top of filling and press together until filling just comes to the edges!  Makes approximately 2 dozen SANDWICH cookies (48 total cookies).

Don’t they look YUMMY????  Trust me on this one….they TASTE just as good as they look!   I was fighting off would-be cookie-nappers all day!  It’s obvious I’m going to have to make another batch very soon. :-)

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest8,045Google+1

Comments

These cookies look soooo good! Though I have to say, I love the recipe I have for just plain ol’ peanut butter cookies. They’re the easiest in the world… Only three ingredients :)

I love your blog, I always check it out to see what new and interesting things you’re talking about. I even mentioned you on my own blog the other day, talking about your 14 day oil challenge… I started it recently for fun and I have to admit I was impressed. I got some results after two days. That’s pretty awesome, considering I ALWAYS seem to have massive breakouts!

• Jillee says

Thanks Tori! So glad you like the website. :-) I would love to check yours out!

• Lisa says

I know the recipe she’s talking about. My grandmother learned it from hers…oh about 60+years back? so it’s pretty old…

1cup PB
        1cup sugar(or splenda…but be careful reducing it, they need the amounts fairly even to be the correct consistency!)
        1 egg

HOWEVER..I add 1 tbslp vanilla…it gives it a certain something….

but yes, they are the holiest purist yummy PB cookies ever…LOL

2. Lauren says

Yes, these are SOO yummy! They’re called “halfway to heaven” bc almost all the ingredients are in 1/2 increments, but it looks like yours is doubled. ;) The first time I made these, I just used regular peanut butter in the cookies, but the 2nd time I used the honey roasted per the recipe I was using. Both were delicious!

• Jillee says

hahaha. I never put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for the clarification Lauren. :-)

3. Penny Hannah says

Though those look really good, I’m with Tori, in that just plain peanut butter mixed with an egg and about half a cup of sugar are delicious and SOOO easy and quick.

• Danielle says

That sounds great!! Do you mind sharing how much peanut butter and cooking temp/time?

• flerbiejean says

I saw this recipe in the newspaper just a couple of weeks ago (with a chocolate kiss in the middle). Talk about easy and DIVINE!

4. kelly says

They still do make Nutter butter cookies. Cute story. My hubby told our 3 y/o. greatniece that they was called hootenfolters. (A name he made up.) Well our brother in law had her shopping one day and he asked her if she wanted cookies and she said yes hootenfolters. So brother in law spent 20 minutes in the cookie isle before she finally seen them and said there they are papa.

awww……that is so cute! lol. I swear…hubby’s have a special gift for making up silly names like that. Why is that??? :-)

5. sue says

looks good! they do still make the nutter butter cookies- they still look like a peanut shape. i ate some a couple of weeks ago. sue

6. Miss K says

I just brought nutter butters to school to share with my students…because I wanted to eat them and that way I could justify buying an entire package AND I knew I wouldn’t be able to overdo it!

These look really tasty, I’ll have to give them a go!

Side note: I’m moving out of my apartment soon and I just stocked up on baking soda, ammonia and vinegar so I can finally clean up some of the icky areas of my place per your great solutions. I wish I would have found these solutions earlier so I could enjoy the cleanliness myself!

These are great. I didn’t make the icing, we just eat plain cookies. You know how people always make changes to your recipe and then tell you how good they were? I left out the white sugar and used half the butter. I’m sure they’re not as luscious as they would be with more butter and sugar but it’s the way I cook, less of some things because we’re old. They were tasty regardless.

8. Kari says

I made these this weekend for my Sunday School class and a family picnic for Mother’s Day. They were a HUGE HIT! I love your blog and all the wonderful tips and recipes i recieve each day. Thank you!!!!