Make Your Own All-Natural Deodorant With 2 Simple Ingredients!

all natural deodorant

Two Saturday’s ago I invited my sisters to a “flower-planting party“! Which is to say I needed some H E L P and made them think it was a party! haha. Of course they saw right through my ruse of a “party”, but as good sisters do, they showed up anyway!

With the help of my sisters (I have one more sister, JoAnn, who couldn’t make it who is a SPECTACULAR gardener!), the hubster, my 3 boys, My Mom, my Dad, my mother-in-law (who happened to be visiting from North Dakota) and every other unsuspecting by-stander that came within grabbing distance of my flowers beds, we managed to plant a TON of flowers. Way MORE than I planned on because, well, when my Mom and my sisters get together the creative juices get flowing and all kinds of new ideas are born! But that’s another story……

Needless to say, by the time we were done, we were all a little worse for wear. (Please, no comments on my Playtex “gardening” gloves. lol. I was desperate!)  :-)

garden party

“Flower girls”  -  Jill, Rebecca, & Dori.  A little dirty, a little stinky, but always happy to be digging in the dirt!  :-)

As a matter of fact, my older sister had to audacity to start handing out samples of her CW deodorant! (www.campwander.com) LOL.  Subtle Rebecca, subtle. ;-)

Subtle, or not, I took the sample with pleasure! I was out of my own homemade deodorant (which I posted about last October HERE) and am always willing to try something new!

One of the things I REALLY like about this “recipe” is how SIMPLE it is (no need to melt beeswax on the stove…no long list of ingredients…) AND that you can use it as a roll-on OR as a spray. I know people have strong preferences about how they apply their deodorant…now you have a choice!

Here is the recipe for…

Rebecca’s 2-Minute Deodorant

10 – drops frankincense essential oil (anti-cancer properties…helpful when applied to an area of the body with so many lymph nodes)
10 – drops melaleuca or lemon essential oil (anti-fungal, anti-bacterial)
10 – drops lavender essential oil (eliminates waste, anti-inflammatory and calming)

To make the ROLL ON deodorant

Add the Essential Oils to a 1/3 oz glass roller bottle and top it off with Fractionated Coconut Oil.

natural deodorant roll on

To make the SPRAY deodorant

Add the Essential Oils to a small spray bottle and top it off with Witch Hazel.

Witch Hazel is a natural toner and cleanser, it’s cooling and evaporates quickly and soothes irritated skin.  (Read all about the amazing BENEFITS OF WITCH HAZEL on this former blog post.)

natural deodorant spray on

Now, for the $64,000 question! Does it work?????  Well, I’ve been using it exclusively for over two weeks now and have been completely satisfied! No odor at all. Even the hubster was intrigued. I’m going to be making him a “manly” scent soon!

To be clear…this is NOT an antiperspirant. I gave up using antiperspirant quite awhile ago because the aluminum-based compounds used in them (although I should note they are considered safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.) I’m lucky because excessively sweating isn’t an issue I face. For those of you who do…I’m afraid this post won’t be terribly helpful. (Unless one of the incredibly intelligent READERS of this blog chimes in with some insight!)

If you are looking for a source to buy essential oils, I recommend Spark Naturals. They sell Certified Pure PharmaGrade Essential Oils for affordable prices!

Plus, use the coupon code JILLEE and get an additional 10% off your order.

natural deodorant spray on

natural deodorant spray on

Share on Facebook197Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest9,964Google+1

Comments

Jillie, u’ve even great ideas! :-) I’ve made my own deodorant with saturated baking soda and eo, so as a creamy stick deodorant, but this one I need to try ASAP ;-)
    Thanx for the suggestions :-)
    V.

oh loooorrd, I always smell like the wrong side of a hippy whenever I try out the store bought natural deodorants. Thanks for this, I’m gonna try and hope it works better because I definitely prefer natural over the toxic name brands.

• mary says

As coming from the hippie era, this really hit my funny bone. The wrong side of a hippy! I bet you have a colorful vocabulary of expressions. I’m going to use your expression today, because there are several targets where it is apropo.

I am also going to try the deodorant because of the lymph node thing. My lymph nodes are always knotted up from food allergies; this would be a good idea for me.

• Carrien N says

You and me both, sister. I’ve tried crystals, I’ve tried Tom’s and I’ve tried the coconut oil and baking soda (which gave me a tremendous rash and didn’t stop the smell AT ALL). I think i am just one of those people that needs clinical strength deodorants.

That’s me as well, Carrien. I HATE using the aluminum products, but without them I RUIN clothes with a stench that doesn’t wash out. I don’t have the budget to replace tops after each wearing, so I potentially risk my health. I would LOVE a third option!

• Nicole says

I’ve just discovered a something that works for me. I spray the armpit area of my clothes with ammonia before washing. The stench actually comes out. I realized that the buildup of the odor in my clothes was causing me to stink faster than I really did. It’s worth a try.

• Sheena says

and this doesn’t damage your clothes at all? its safe for colors as well as whites? or only whites?

• Nicole says

It hasn’t damaged anything of mine and I’ve mostly done it to darks. The thing is that the sweat smell is just a build up over time so once it’s gone, I don’t need to do it again for quite awhile. You can always try Jillee’s method of Dawn, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda if the ammonia makes you nervous. That just takes a little more effort with the scrubbing. To make it easier, I douse my clothes with hydrogen peroxide, pour a bit of Dawn on a toothbrush then dip it in baking soda, then scrub away.

• Nicole says

I’ve quit deodorant and began trying the other homemade options: alcohol, milk of magnesia, coconut oil/baking soda/cornstarch. None of them are totally effective on their own for me. So my favorite method in order to stay relatively fresh smelling without going back to aluminum based store bought deodorants is to first swab my pits with alcohol to kill the bacteria. Then I apply zinc oxide (I just buy the generic Desitin creamy tube from the baby aisle). Sometimes I dust my shoulders and armpits with Shower to Shower powder. This actually kept me fresh for hours in 105 degree heat this past weekend. Deodorant wouldn’t have. But something to note is that this only works if I’m not going sleeveless. The white zinc oxide would be obvious I think.

That’s so funny, Sunnee! I feel your pain though! I am not going to stop trying to go more natural, and plan to give this a try!

Jillee,
      Thanks for posting good stuff! We love ya!

xo,
      Rebecca K

If it doesn’t work for you, try combing the exact same essential oils she mentioned with 1/8Cup of organic baking soda, 1/8Cup of organic cornstarch, and 3Tablespoons of organic unrefined virgin coconut oil. Store it in an air tight container, and if you live in a really hot climate, you might want to store it in your refrigerator. This works extremely well! Even my husband uses it (and likes it!). However, I will caution you: some people are sensitive to a lot of baking soda on the skin. My suggestion is to be sure you wash it off completely at night time before bed and apply plain organic virgin unrefined coconut oil directly after. This will help keep it from ever getting irritated.

Hope this helps!

Organic Uprising
      OrganicUprising.com

Here’s what I have been using, milk of magnesium, it works! I put it in an empty roll on bottle, I apply some to freshly washed & dried pits, one thing you have to do is allow it to dry before getting dressed otherwise it doesn’t work as well, I rub it in for about 20 seconds each side until it dries, it keeps me odor free all day, even in the worst conditions. One thing I have noticed is it seems to keep my dry as well, it’s not like antiperspirant, but it does seem to keep me dry. It’s also something I use on my face as a masque and lightly applied as a primer before applying makeup (when I wear it, which isn’t often anymore)… research it, I’d love to hear what you think about it. :)

There is a commercial deodorant made with MOM and hydrated bentonite clay, I have experience with both of these ingredients, they are both very alkaline, I suspect that is how it works to keep down odor and possibly to keep down moisture. This commercial deodorant is put out by The People’s Pharmacy, I have no affiliation with them.

I have been using just the plain MOM with no problems, I have hydrated bentonite clay, it’s going into my next batch to see if it works any differently.

Wretha

• Wendy says

I use this too! I put mine in a squirt bottle though (it does clog easily) because I don’t have a ball roll-on and I add essential oils to the Milk of Magnesia aka Magnesium Hydroxide. Supposedly, magnesium hydroxide has been a popular ingredient in deodorants to control odor. Occasionally, I do have odor, but I feel it is related more to my diet (I have to stay away from a certain brand of Beer), than to the effectiveness of the MOM.

I had some roll on deodorant/antiperspirant bottles left over, I hate throwing anything away :)

I just popped the ball out of the bottle, washed the bottle and ball very well and filled with MOM, I left about an inch of space at the top to give me some shaking room. When it gets used up some, I’ll add some hydrated bentonite clay about half and half with the MOM and see how that works, I’m hoping it works great, the MOM by itself works… we’ll see what happens, I’m all for experimenting.

What essential oils do you add to your MOM deodorant?

Wretha

• Nicole says

Thanks for your experience. I bought some months ago. It didn’t seem to be effective for me. But after reading your comments yesterday, I decided to try it again, this time rubbing it in with my fingers like you said you do. Guess what! It was very effective! I was out in 100 degree heat and came home w/o a hint of ripeness. :) I guess it was my method of application. Thanks, Wretha.
        And thanks, Jillee, for these opportunities to exchange ideas with others!

4. southerngirl says

This formula will not prevent you from sweating, but will absorb the sweat. Mix together equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch. Mix together well and place in an old bathpowder box with a puff. After showering apply a small amount of virgin coconut oil to under arms and dust well with cornstarch/baking soda mixture. I have been using this formula for 2 years without odor, or underarm stains on my clothes.

• Bookworm says

I’ve been doing something similar for years. I mix 1 part baking soda, 1/4 part cornstarch, and 1/4 part baby powder or other talc-based body powder. I don’t do the coconut oil part, but I can see that might improve the system, especially if I will be doing something really energetic! Thanks.

5. Julia says

I like this idea! I was thinking of making the spray on my hubby to see what he thinks. I make mine with coconut oil but from what I hear, if can not be as effective with hair. I also plan on not using Lemon, it can make skin susceptible to burning in the sun and we spend lots of time outside. Thanks!

• Diane H. says

You can make this without Frankincense. You may want to see if any of your friends would like to share the cost of a bottle since it doesn’t take a whole bottle for this recipe (although there are other uses for Frankincense to justify the cost – {wrinkle preventer}.

I had a scare late last year where my annual mammogram showed a lump. I stopped using commercial deodorant and started looking for a diy recipe (this recipe is awesome) and I used Frankincense in the recipe. I also rubbed Frankincense & fractionated coconut oil in the area of the lump each night. I had my follow up mammogram last week – No Lump!!! (love you Rebecca <3 ).

Also, this doesn't get rid of the sweaty feeling (I live in the South). I use the coconut oil – witch hazel doesn't cut it long term in humid heat for me. It does smell good and works a good while (I do have to freshen if I am doing a lot of physical work).

Lemongrass does work well to help lessen the perspiration.

• Teri S says

There are about 75 drops per 5ml bottle. It’s not that expensive when you do the math. Buy some off a friend to try it out before you buy your own.

6. Zena says

Awesome! Can’t wait to try this I just started getting into essential oil and love them so much that I’m selling them now. When you come up with a manly scent please share would love to make it for husband also. Thanks so much love your blog and your sisters too :)

Absolutely! The Frankincense has anti-cancerous benefits which makes it a wonderful ingredient for deodorant since application is so close to many lymph nodes. Lemon, Melaleuca and Lavender is a very nice combination too!