A Simple Homemade Eye Cream & Make-up Remover

homemade eye cream

I use coconut oil for LOTS of stuff! I’ve even posted about its’ many, many uses on this post – “Homemade Toothpaste With Coconut Oil And 38 Other Coconut Oil Cures“.

I’d never thought to use it as an eye treatment until my sister and I were discussing a post we saw on Ramblings Of A Happy Homemaker for an eye cream made with Coconut Oil and Vitamin E Oil. Two POWERHOUSE ingredients.

Coconut Oil acts as a moisturizer, antibiotic, multivitamin, multi-nutrient and and antioxidant. Vitamin E Oil is also a strong antioxidant that prevents premature aging and promotes healing.

Being the essential oil lovers that we are, my sister Rebecca (Camp Wander) and I immediately realized this magic combination could be made even BETTER by adding some EO’s!

Lavendar Essential Oil

I know I talk about Lavender all the time…but it really is the “Swiss army knife” of essential oils. If you can only have ONE essential oil in your house…make it Lavender!

Lavender is a perfect addition to this eye cream recipe because it’s great for all skin types and it’s anti-inflammatory properties help soothe various skin problems like acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, eczema, stretch marks, scars, sunburns, dandruff, rashes and bug bites!

homemade eye cream

Other EO’s that would be great to add would be Frankincense, which helps rejuvenate aging skin, and Geranium, which helps speed up the reproduction of skin cells.

After I had made up a batch of the cream it occurred to me that not only is this a great eye CREAM, but it would be equally good as an eye MAKEUP REMOVER.  I gave it a try last night and couldn’t help wondering “Why have I never used this before???”  I loved it!

You are going to love it too!  Especially when you see how EASY (and inexpensive!) it is to make.

homemade eye cream

Homemade Eye Cream & Eye Makeup Remover

Ingredients:

Put the coconut oil into a small bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. That’s all it takes get it to liquid form. (Or you can heat in a small saucepan over low heat for a few minutes.)

Pour the liquified oil into the containers you are using. I decided to use a variety of containers:

homemade eye cream

homemade eye cream

homemade eye cream

For the contact lens case I added enough oil to almost fill it, poked the end of ONE capsule of Vitamin E oil and added the contents of it, and 1-2 drops of Lavender essential oil. (Repeat for other side of case).

homemade eye cream

For the lip balm container: I added enough oil to almost fill it, added the contents of TWO Vitamin E capsules and 3-4 drops of Lavender essential oil.

homemade eye cream

For the small mason jar: I added enough oil to fil about three-fourths full, emptied 6 capsules of Vitamin E in the jar, and finally added 6-7 drops of Lavender essential oil.

Place the filled containers in the refrigerator for a little while (less than an hour) until the liquid returns to solid form, and it’s ready to use!

Use at night to remove eye makeup and as a moisturizing eye cream!

homemade eye cream

Now I’m prepared for wherever I roam!

This quite possibly could be the world’s most perfect eye cream!

Simple. Inexpensive. All-Natural. Multi-purpose, Anti-Aging!  It doesn’t get much better than that! :-)

Share on Facebook519Tweet about this on Twitter23Pin on Pinterest12,657Google+8

Comments

1. Tara says

I have a bottle of vitamin E oil. Would that be alright to use or are capsules a higher quality? If i’m able to use the bottle I have, how much would you recommend? I’d love to try this! I have awful skin and would love to try this to remove make up and maybe help clear up my skin.

Love coconut oil and love lavender!

The only concern with this is for those who have soy allergies. Vitamin E is often derived from soy. If you are allergic to soy, check the ingredients on the vitamin first.

I’ve always had trouble with anti perspirants and deodorants. Nothing seemed to work. I found a recipe with coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch! Works better than anything I’ve ever tried!

• Anita says

Teresa, would love for you to share your deodorant recipe!
      Jillee, I was thinking as I looked at your picture of using a needle to open a capsule that you might want to sterilize the needle first. A few minutes in the flame of a gas range, or wipe off with some rubbing alcohol.

• CTY says

Anita– I too used coconut oil for deodorant. I don’t have a recipe though. Here’s what I do. In a small container (I use a 4 oz canning jar) I blend in 3 drops of lavender (optional but adds anti bacterial properties etc) into about 3 oz coconut oil That’s it. I just rub in a pea size amount. It will dry quick–the excess on my hands I rub into my cuticles. If you want a dryer feel finish off with a powder puff of baking soda & cornstarch (1:1).
        Now–when my bathroom gets really hot the coconut oil turns to liquid–I just dip 3 fingertips in it and use like that. Some folks prefer a more solid product so they refrigerate theirs. There are lots of EOs that are effective I just choose lavender.
        This is completely effective for me, even after the tread mill.

• karin says

just use a very light dusting of baking soda. & no smell. may still sweat but no odor. i love it! just don’t use much as a little goes a very long way!!!

• Jamie says

You could always use Rose Hip Seed oil instead of Vitamin E (or for those w/o soy issues you could add it in anyway cuz the benefits are amazing).

For the deo …I recently made one using clay, coconut oil, shae butter, arrowroot powder, etc. and it works GREAT! I had used probly a version close to the one you mentioned for over a year w/ great results but this new one…I will never use anything else. I scrubbed up an entire basement on Saturday (sweating my butt off) w/o putting any “fresh” deo on that morning…still had on whatever I put on the day before and I never did smell at all. I was amazed and impressed!

(sorry to hijack your post)

Coconut oil is amazing stuff though! I use it for a ton of things.

• Karen D. says

Rosehip seed oil added in would be great as it is FANTASTIC for dry, wrinkled, and aging skin!

• Cathy W says

I use Rosehip seed oil daily. straight the from the bottle! I think adding to Jillee’s recipe would be beneficial. I am 67 and just decided that my skin is looking like hell. Rather late in life for this revelation. But if I can slow down down the aging (I wish) look, I’m going to try it!

For you “youngsters” (ages 35-55) don’t wait as long as I did. Catch those creepy little lines now, not later. Short of botox or surgery, should not be an option when you can control it early.

And yes, my husband has noticed the difference!

Thanks Jillie for such simple solution (recipe)!

3. Sandra Reade says

Just love, love, love your blog updates. You never fail to send something useful. Thank you Jillee from the bottom of my heart.
    Sandra in NZ

4. Fireweed says

I ran out of eye makeup remover (or maybe I had just not worn makeup in so long I threw it away)
    anyway I bought contacts so I decided to wear makeup! When getting out of the shower next morning I had raccoon eyes and realized I had no way to get the stuff off. On my sink is a container of coconut oil I had been using for teeth pulling, and bing!!! I remembered reading about using the stuff for eye makeup remover. I was skeptical that it would work but it was amazing! The makeup came right off!!!
    I think I used too much though because when I went to put in my contacts there was no traction and I wound up getting oil on my lenses. Lesson learned…put contacts in before using the coconut oil! I don’t think I will ever buy the comercial stuff again! The second day I used it to remove make up I just used a qTip and much less and it still worked wonderful!
    I am pretty amazed!

• Trish F says

Better yet take your make-up off before you take your shower and wash your face, that way you’ll get rid of any residue.

5. Shana Miller says

Love love love this idea!!! I’m going to mix up a very small batch because a lot of oils break me out. Even if I don’t use it as an eye cream it should work great as an eye markup remover and I will wash it off, hopefully eliminating any risk of breakout!!! Thanks for the cool idea!!! :)

• donna says

then you can probably skip the eo’s. the coconut oil and vitamin e will still do the trick.

6. Michelle says

I made this and whipped the coconut oil at room temperature and added the Vitamin E oil and lavender. This is quite possibly the best eye makeup remover and eye cream. As I am finally starting to lose my youthful appearance (ugh!!!), this has actually worked for me. I LOVE this!!

“150 chemicals found in the home are connected to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders.” Source: Consumer Protection Agency

This recipe is awesome, I like to know what I’m putting on my skin! Thank you for sharing! Will try! :)

8. chris says

This is a great idea, I can’t wait to try it. I’m getting little broken blood veins on my cheeks. Not real noticeable yet, but kinda looks like a sunburn. Maybe this cream will help it. I love coconut oil, your recipes are great, keep’em coming!!!

9. Becky says

Yes I have the same question I have Vitamin E oil how many drops? I guess I will just take a few of my Vitamin E capsules and see. I think it would be like about 2 drops per capsule with the way it looks and it probably doesn’t matter that much since Vitamin E is so good for scars and all anyway. The only lotion I use anymore is yours. I have standing orders for it with my mother-in-law and daughter..another good recipe from you!!