A Simple Homemade Eye Cream & Make-up Remover

homemade eye cream

I use coconut oil for LOTS of stuff! I’ve even posted about its’ many, many uses on this post – “Homemade Toothpaste With Coconut Oil And 38 Other Coconut Oil Cures“.

I’d never thought to use it as an eye treatment until my sister and I were discussing a post we saw on Ramblings Of A Happy Homemaker for an eye cream made with Coconut Oil and Vitamin E Oil. Two POWERHOUSE ingredients.

Coconut Oil acts as a moisturizer, antibiotic, multivitamin, multi-nutrient and and antioxidant. Vitamin E Oil is also a strong antioxidant that prevents premature aging and promotes healing.

Being the essential oil lovers that we are, my sister Rebecca (Camp Wander) and I immediately realized this magic combination could be made even BETTER by adding some EO’s!

Lavendar Essential Oil

I know I talk about Lavender all the time…but it really is the “Swiss army knife” of essential oils. If you can only have ONE essential oil in your house…make it Lavender!

Lavender is a perfect addition to this eye cream recipe because it’s great for all skin types and it’s anti-inflammatory properties help soothe various skin problems like acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, eczema, stretch marks, scars, sunburns, dandruff, rashes and bug bites!

homemade eye cream

Other EO’s that would be great to add would be Frankincense, which helps rejuvenate aging skin, and Geranium, which helps speed up the reproduction of skin cells.

After I had made up a batch of the cream it occurred to me that not only is this a great eye CREAM, but it would be equally good as an eye MAKEUP REMOVER.  I gave it a try last night and couldn’t help wondering “Why have I never used this before???”  I loved it!

You are going to love it too!  Especially when you see how EASY (and inexpensive!) it is to make.

homemade eye cream

Homemade Eye Cream & Eye Makeup Remover

Ingredients:

Put the coconut oil into a small bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. That’s all it takes get it to liquid form. (Or you can heat in a small saucepan over low heat for a few minutes.)

Pour the liquified oil into the containers you are using. I decided to use a variety of containers:

homemade eye cream

homemade eye cream

homemade eye cream

For the contact lens case I added enough oil to almost fill it, poked the end of ONE capsule of Vitamin E oil and added the contents of it, and 1-2 drops of Lavender essential oil. (Repeat for other side of case).

homemade eye cream

For the lip balm container: I added enough oil to almost fill it, added the contents of TWO Vitamin E capsules and 3-4 drops of Lavender essential oil.

homemade eye cream

For the small mason jar: I added enough oil to fil about three-fourths full, emptied 6 capsules of Vitamin E in the jar, and finally added 6-7 drops of Lavender essential oil.

Place the filled containers in the refrigerator for a little while (less than an hour) until the liquid returns to solid form, and it’s ready to use!

Use at night to remove eye makeup and as a moisturizing eye cream!

homemade eye cream

Now I’m prepared for wherever I roam!

This quite possibly could be the world’s most perfect eye cream!

Simple. Inexpensive. All-Natural. Multi-purpose, Anti-Aging!  It doesn’t get much better than that! :-)

Facebook517Twitter23Pinterest12173Google+8

Comments

1. Tara says

I have a bottle of vitamin E oil. Would that be alright to use or are capsules a higher quality? If i’m able to use the bottle I have, how much would you recommend? I’d love to try this! I have awful skin and would love to try this to remove make up and maybe help clear up my skin.

Love coconut oil and love lavender!

The only concern with this is for those who have soy allergies. Vitamin E is often derived from soy. If you are allergic to soy, check the ingredients on the vitamin first.

I’ve always had trouble with anti perspirants and deodorants. Nothing seemed to work. I found a recipe with coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch! Works better than anything I’ve ever tried!

• Anita says

Teresa, would love for you to share your deodorant recipe!
      Jillee, I was thinking as I looked at your picture of using a needle to open a capsule that you might want to sterilize the needle first. A few minutes in the flame of a gas range, or wipe off with some rubbing alcohol.

• CTY says

Anita– I too used coconut oil for deodorant. I don’t have a recipe though. Here’s what I do. In a small container (I use a 4 oz canning jar) I blend in 3 drops of lavender (optional but adds anti bacterial properties etc) into about 3 oz coconut oil That’s it. I just rub in a pea size amount. It will dry quick–the excess on my hands I rub into my cuticles. If you want a dryer feel finish off with a powder puff of baking soda & cornstarch (1:1).
        Now–when my bathroom gets really hot the coconut oil turns to liquid–I just dip 3 fingertips in it and use like that. Some folks prefer a more solid product so they refrigerate theirs. There are lots of EOs that are effective I just choose lavender.
        This is completely effective for me, even after the tread mill.

• Jamie says

You could always use Rose Hip Seed oil instead of Vitamin E (or for those w/o soy issues you could add it in anyway cuz the benefits are amazing).

For the deo …I recently made one using clay, coconut oil, shae butter, arrowroot powder, etc. and it works GREAT! I had used probly a version close to the one you mentioned for over a year w/ great results but this new one…I will never use anything else. I scrubbed up an entire basement on Saturday (sweating my butt off) w/o putting any “fresh” deo on that morning…still had on whatever I put on the day before and I never did smell at all. I was amazed and impressed!

(sorry to hijack your post)

Coconut oil is amazing stuff though! I use it for a ton of things.

• Cathy W says

I use Rosehip seed oil daily. straight the from the bottle! I think adding to Jillee’s recipe would be beneficial. I am 67 and just decided that my skin is looking like hell. Rather late in life for this revelation. But if I can slow down down the aging (I wish) look, I’m going to try it!

For you “youngsters” (ages 35-55) don’t wait as long as I did. Catch those creepy little lines now, not later. Short of botox or surgery, should not be an option when you can control it early.

And yes, my husband has noticed the difference!

Thanks Jillie for such simple solution (recipe)!

3. Fireweed says

I ran out of eye makeup remover (or maybe I had just not worn makeup in so long I threw it away)
    anyway I bought contacts so I decided to wear makeup! When getting out of the shower next morning I had raccoon eyes and realized I had no way to get the stuff off. On my sink is a container of coconut oil I had been using for teeth pulling, and bing!!! I remembered reading about using the stuff for eye makeup remover. I was skeptical that it would work but it was amazing! The makeup came right off!!!
    I think I used too much though because when I went to put in my contacts there was no traction and I wound up getting oil on my lenses. Lesson learned…put contacts in before using the coconut oil! I don’t think I will ever buy the comercial stuff again! The second day I used it to remove make up I just used a qTip and much less and it still worked wonderful!
    I am pretty amazed!

4. Shana Miller says

Love love love this idea!!! I’m going to mix up a very small batch because a lot of oils break me out. Even if I don’t use it as an eye cream it should work great as an eye markup remover and I will wash it off, hopefully eliminating any risk of breakout!!! Thanks for the cool idea!!! :)

5. Michelle says

I made this and whipped the coconut oil at room temperature and added the Vitamin E oil and lavender. This is quite possibly the best eye makeup remover and eye cream. As I am finally starting to lose my youthful appearance (ugh!!!), this has actually worked for me. I LOVE this!!

“150 chemicals found in the home are connected to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders.” Source: Consumer Protection Agency

This recipe is awesome, I like to know what I’m putting on my skin! Thank you for sharing! Will try! :)

7. chris says

This is a great idea, I can’t wait to try it. I’m getting little broken blood veins on my cheeks. Not real noticeable yet, but kinda looks like a sunburn. Maybe this cream will help it. I love coconut oil, your recipes are great, keep’em coming!!!

8. Becky says

Yes I have the same question I have Vitamin E oil how many drops? I guess I will just take a few of my Vitamin E capsules and see. I think it would be like about 2 drops per capsule with the way it looks and it probably doesn’t matter that much since Vitamin E is so good for scars and all anyway. The only lotion I use anymore is yours. I have standing orders for it with my mother-in-law and daughter..another good recipe from you!!

9. Cynthia says

Oh Jillie: Where have you been all my life? You have so many excellent tips. I’m using the OCM (oil cleansing method) and what a difference in my skin, although I still have bumps on my forehead. I bought the coconut oil, now all I have to do is find everything that you use it for. Next up is this eye cream. I want to look beautiful in my older age 60+. Thank you and your other blogger and of course your sister–Camp Wanderer.

10. Jean says

I use coconut oil for just about everything, but not on my face. It is one of the most comedigenic (pore clogging and black head causing) oils around. I would sub another oil, like apricot or avocado, even olive oil if it was a good quality.

• Erica says

Jean, I do not find coconut oil to be comedogenic at all. I’ve been using it as my only face moisturizer (as well as body) and do not have clogged pores or blackheads. At all. I guess YMMV. I also tend to have dry skin. Maybe if I had oily skin this might happen.

• Trish F says

I agree with you Erica. I have been using coconut oil to remove my eye make-up and as a moisturizer for about 2 years now and have never had a problem. So I guess it depends on your skin type as to whether you’ll have a problem or not.

11. Deborah J says

I love coconut oil. I will use Vanilla Cream instead of the Lavender. I’m not a big fan of lavender. But I will make some for my MIL. She loves it. We are using the oil facial cleaner, too. I can’t believe how soft my face feels. Just like a baby’s hinny. LOL I use coconut oil in almost all of my beauty products. I love it! And the smell is awesome!

12. Erica says

I find that using coconut oil near my eyes can be really bothersome. When I wake up in the night to nurse my baby my eyes are all foggy from it. Makes me sad because I need a good eye makeup remover and cream. Have you had any issues with this?

• Cheryl says

I use this basic recipe for face wash and eye makeup remover, but i use rosemary eo instead of lavender because it is good for aging skin. It is fantastic! I massage it in all over my face, then eyelids and lashes. I use a very warm wash cloth to “steam” my face, then wash it all off. Doing it that way doesn’t leave you with “cloudy” eyes. If you are going to use it for eye cream after the makeup is washed off, just don’t get it too near your lash line and you’ll be fine. And remember, a little goes a long way.

(On a side note, I used to have a lot of trouble with falling lashes. Since I started using this, it is so much better!)

• jean says

I’ve had problems with using coconut oil around my eyes as well.I tried this recipe and my eyes burned and watered teterribly I thought maybe it was the eo so I tried just coconut oil alone but had the same result. Think I’ll try olive oil. Someone else suggested that on one of the comments.

13. Jennifer K says

Erica, yes, I have the same problem! I guess the oil is seeping into my eyes or something. I stopped using it because it bothered me. Would love to hear if any others have a way to keep this from happening!

14. Jamie says

I’ve been using the OCM for years now but on the off day that my hubby sleeps in (and I can’t get into our master bath)…if I have not removed my makeup from the night before…I’ll just grab some coconut oil from the pantry and slather it all over my face and remove with a tissue, then go into our boys bathroom and wash the rest of…still basically OCM, just w/ different oils.

Another good thing you could add to this (if you have some available) is Rose Hip Seed Oil. It has anti-aging properties, cellular support and skin rejuvenation. It’s also a dry oil so you can even use it alone under your eyes and it soaks in very fast w/o a greasy feeling. Works great in the morning if you must apply makeup.

And in your above recipe, you could add a substantial amount if needed.

I also add it into my moisturizing face oil that I mix in a 2 oz bottle. I fill it about a quarter full with Rose Hip Seed oil then add the rest of my oils (such as safflower, apricot, jojoba and whatever EO’s that work for my skin).

Great recipe!

• Gail says

Thanks for the tip on the Rose Hip Seed Oil, Jamie. I have large pores that still clog easily, even though I’m 60 now. Will definitely give this a try. Would also love to have your recipe for homemade deodorant.

15. Shelly R says

Awesome, thanks for all the tips. Love your website! I use castor oil (sometimes mixed with jojoba oil) to remove my eye makeup. So cheap and easy! I tried the oil cleansing method, but it broke me out something awful so I abandoned it. :-)

16. Erin H says

Thank you for posting this! I am almost out of eye cream and I am in the process of trying to weed out chemicals from my life, so I was going to try to find a good homemade eye cream recipe… you’ve saved me the hassle of searching!

17. Patricia says

Hi Jillee

Million thanks for such amazing informative site. Eventhough I have used essential oil previously but it was you who have my got me into using the oils seriously. Recently I have been using nightly a carrier oil (grapeseed and sesame) + vit E + lavender oil. NOW your eye cream/remover came at the right time as I am looking for one.

I am from the tropics (Malaysia) and the coconut oil that I bought comes from Philippiness. Here we can get fresh coconuts easily BUT surprisingly I cannot find any coconut flour LOL

Again, my thanks and God Bless you.

Warmest regards
    Patricia

18. Michelle says

I just whipped up a batch of this after reading your blog post this morning. It looks like my 2 oz jar is going to last forever! I was wondering if you would recommend adding peppermint to wake up tired eyes in the morning. Also, if you combined different EO’s for their different effects, would you decrease the amount of each one so that the total amount of EO matches the total amount in your blog above or is it not that big of a deal since you are only talking about a few drops each? I’m pretty new to using EO’s. I was thinking about combining lavender with rosemary, geranium, & peppermint after reading the comments, but didn’t know if it would be a good idea or not.

Also, it seems like this would be good for other “problem areas” (like those little wrinkles around the lips) not just eyes!

Thanks for sharing all your great discoveries, I am loving them!

• Kelly says

Michelle, you don’t want to use peppermint in your eye makeup remover! It will make your eyes burn and tear up something awful, even if it is diluted. It happened to me only once (rubbed my eyes after applying peppermint to my neck for a headache) and I’ll never do it again. :)

• Michelle says

Good point, Kelly. Now that you mention it, I have had the same happen to me when making lip balms; but I wasn’t really thinking of it in the context of an eye makeup remover. The olive oil cleanser works just fine for that. I was thinking about it more as an under eye cream. I have one that I bought ages ago from Mary Kay that was always so cooling…just trying to reproduce that effect…but still point taken. :)

19. donni says

I have a question, when you cook with coconut oil does it give the food a coconut taste? I’m afraid to try it because I can’t stand that coconut flavor. If it does do you have a second choice?

I really like using plain old olive oil (any kind). You just rub it on your face and then you can either use a wet washcloth to wipe it off or my favorite is to use hot water on a wash cloth, leave it on your face for a few seconds, then wipe off. Good for your skin and it feels pretty good, too!

21. Sheila says

Your posts help me unwind after a stressful day at work! I find that 9 times out of 10, they are something that really interests me and I can’t wait to try them. Thank you for sharing!

22. Dani says

My only concern would be clogging the delicate skin of the eyes. Milia (little tiny white lumps/dots clustered around the eye) is a rather unattractive result of clogging the pores around the thin eye skin. It is commonly seen in infants but especially with adults and it does not go away without intervention. In fact only a doctor can remove them. I’m all for DIY whenever possible but I will not be taking the chance without the approval of a Doctor or Estetician. This is why face cream is never to be used around the eyes unless it is proven to be compatible. Face cream and lotions are just too heavy for the delicate skin and pores.

I applaud the thought and ingenuity. I look forward to hearing from trusted sources if these oils/combinations can used as mentioned in your post.

Overview
    Milia are commonly found on the skin of people of all ages. They are formed when keratin (a substance produced by the skin) becomes entrapped beneath the outer layer of the skin, forming a tiny cyst. An individual milium (the singular of milia) is formed at the base of a hair follicle or sweat gland.

Milia can be categorized as either primary or secondary. Primary milia are formed directly from entrapped keratin and are usually found on the faces of infants and adults. Secondary milia are also tiny cysts and look similar, but these develop after something clogs the ducts leading to the skin surface, such as after an injury, burn, or blistering of the skin.

• Trish F says

I too live in an area where my coconut oil is liquid most of the year. I just use it as is or if you want it more solid keep it in the fridge. Shea butter, IMO, is too hard (solid) for use around the eyes by its self.

23. betty says

I mix my coconut oil with Hawaiian Kukui nut oil from Oils of Aloha. The Kukui is a wonderful skin oil and absorbs very well. I use about 2-3 parts coconut oil to 1 part Kukui oil. My fine lines are gone, and now I am going after the big lines! My almost 50 year old skin has never looked better. In fact Kukui is my oil of choice in all my home made skin treatments from lotion bars to lip gloss to sugar scrubs.

24. Cathy says

I made this eye cream, but unfortunately, it just slid down my face and rested in my pores (even with the little amount I used). I now use it as a eye makeup remover instead, and it’s wonderful!!

25. Tracy says

I was just wondering with all the knowledge out there which essential oils might work for rosacea. Can’t wait to try the cream. One person said it was pore clogging, those who tried it, have you found this to be true?

Love Jilee!

The easiest facial cleanser is using Alba body lotion

I put it dry on my face and eyes – it doesn’t burn at all – and wipe off with a hot wet washcloth then rinse my face with water. That’s it!
    No more buying expensive facial milk cleansers or having to make my own. Alba product is great!
    I have sensitive skin and the Alba original unscented lotion is great as a moisturizer as well on my face (maximum was too heavy). I was using Dr Hauschka because I love how thick it is but it’s $40 a tube!!! I am so happy I found this.

Just wanted to share…

• Dani says

Gail: honestly, I can’t say for sure, I do know that evening primrose oil is often used, so that might be a better option.
      I would personally go to Mountain Rose Herbs website http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/bulkoil.html and look into their carrier oils by reading the detailed nformation on the ones that interest you.
      I’d bet you could contact them as well (message or even Facebook) and they can provide truthful informative answers. I can tell you that Mountain Rose is IMO the premier place for all natural and organic home remedy materials.

Side note :MRH was started by Rosemary Gladstar who is long considered one of a few original women of our time to be truly all knowing in natural remedies. What really sold me on MRH was also their working affiliation with Susun Weed. Susun Weed (sign up for her newsletter) is the “Wise Woman” creator and works tirelessly in helping women find their truest happiest way in life through nature and it beauty.

27. Karen says

I would recommend avoiding using anything that speeds up cell reproduction. It has to do with the way DNA is copied over from an existing cell to a new one. It’s the same reason why tanning causes wrinkles, anything that damages and/or causes skin cells to be replaced more quickly will actually speed up the aging process.

28. Erica says

I’ve been using coconut oil for my entire body, including face, for months/years. Love the stuff. I haven’t used deodorant in about 6 years and just don’t stink. It might be because I sweep the coconut oil up into my armpits…started doing that to ease the razor rash.

One concern I have is using essential oils around the eye. When I use oil to remove eye makeup, I end up getting it IN the eye. Wouldn’t the essential oils cause a problem?

I can’t wait to make this! I been making my own lipstick and lotion , I need a wrinkle cream to replace the loreal eyelift cream. It’s more fun making it and my skin has healed from the coconut oil I apply all over everyday . I wish I would have paid attention to things like this to make a long time ago! Now I know better! Love your page! Stacy

30. Carol Harris says

Hi Jillee… love all your articles and recipes, but am a bit surprised you still use a microwave in them… I am 5 years free of a microwave, and somehow am puzzled by all the “healthy” authors that still recommend them in recipes. Just a thought.. I use a countertop infrared (NuWave or Sharper Image)to do the same things… not quite as convenient, but much healthier and does not “kill” the good enzymes unless you heat to higher than 110 degrees… which is not necessary, especially with coconut oil, as it becomes liquid at 80 degrees…. thanks for reading my comment… would be curious to hear your response…

31. Rhonda says

I use this minus the EOs for my whole face but I am wondering…if it is so great as a make up remover wouldn’t it make it hard for your make up to stay on if used as an eye cream? I hardly ever wear make up so I haven’t had any experience with it yet. Has anyone who wears make up regularly had any problems?

• Trish F says

I use it as a moisturizer on my face after I wash it. I wait a few minutes for my face to absorb everything (get a cup of tea) before I apply my make-up. I also use mineral make-up so maybe that is why I never seem to have a problem.
      I then use this as my make-up remover, basically my eyes, before I go to bed.

• heidi says

I have used this (or rather a very similar version) for some time and honestly love it. I use it on the whole face as my main cleanser and after a time of allowing it to set I, too, use the warm washcloth to remove any excess. The only problem I have had with makeup issues not staying put is with my mascara. I usually avoid using it on the lashes themselves, so it is not usually a problem, but as I use waterproof, it tends to build up over time and once in a while I use it to remove the build up. (I know not the best beauty tip to do it the way I do), anyway, the day I do use it on my lashes, I tend to get the shadow effect from the mascara rubbing off a bit under my eyes. Luckily, it also wipes away fairly easily so I just check from time to time and wipe it away.