Make Your Own Sleep Salve For “Sweet Dreams” and Soft Feet!

sleep salve

About a month ago I started having trouble sleeping. It was getting pretty bad and nothing I did seemed to help. My sister Rebecca (Camp Wander) came to the rescue with her Dream-y Sleep Salve and ever since then sleep has again become my friend. As a matter of fact, I will not leave home without it!

Earlier this month I went to a blogger retreat in the Outer Banks of North Carolina where I shared a beach house with 30 other women and a room with my daughter Britta and my daughter-in-law Kaitlyn. It wasn’t the ideal sleeping arrangements but I had my trusty sleep salve and all three of us slept great (until lightning struck the power pole outside our window at 6am!)

I didn’t consider making my own because I figured I could just purchase it from my sister, who sells it on her blog. However, when we got home from North Carolina, Britta and Kaitlyn wanted a jar of their own, so I decided I’d better learn how to make it because it was going to be a hot commodity in my family. I also wanted to be able to make it to give as gifts. Britta and I whipped up a batch earlier this week and were happily surprised at how well we did….so I thought I’d share it with the rest of you insomniacs out there.

sleep salve

Statistics show that insomnia is a major problem among American adults. Approximately 60 million American adults report insomnia ranging from long-term or chronic, to brief and temporary. (Brain Basics: Understanding Sleep.) If you are one of those 60 million, you know how frustrating it can be. Hopefully this will help you as much as it has helped me.

This is very simple salve to make…but it does involve two steps. The first step is to make the DREAM BLEND of essential oils that you will then add to the salve.

****Update****

You can now buy the Dream Blend already pre-mixed through Spark Naturals! No need to buy 5 different EOs! Of course you can still make it with the recipe above, but now you have another option!

sleep salve

Dream Blend Recipe:

This ends up being enough to make (2) 4 ounce jars of the Dream-y Sleep Salve. The recipe below for the All-Purpose Salve makes (4) 4 ounce jars. If you want to make all four jars into the sleep salve, double the Dream Blend recipe above.

sleep salve

All-Purpose Salve Recipe:

Makes enough for (4) – 4 ounce jars.

sleep salve

Melt the coconut, olive oil and beeswax in a warm water bath, stirring every few minutes until melted. This will take 10 – 15 minutes, you want it to melt slowly. No blender necessary.

While you are waiting for the wax to melt, add 90 drops of Dream Blend to each 4 ounce glass jar.

sleep salve

When the beeswax is completely melted, pour the mixture into the jars and let cool.

sleep salve

Cover with lid after completely cooled. Shelf life is approximately 8 months (but trust me, it won’t last that long!)

How to use:

Apply Dream-y Sleep Salve to the bottom of both feet after you’ve climbed into bed and massage in. (The large pores of the feet allow the oil to absorb quickly.) I like to really SLATHER my feet with the salve and then put lightweight socks on.

As an all-natural sleep aid, this stuff is amazing, but as an added benefit you end up with soft and supple feet as well! A major bonus in my book!

Sweet Dreams!

sleep salve

Use coupon code JILLEE to get 10% off any Spark Naturals essential oils order.

Share on Facebook1,752Tweet about this on Twitter28Pin on Pinterest21,674Google+31

Comments

I noticed the salve has a whipped texture. Most of the time when I make things with beeswax, it solidifies more than that. I have to literally whip it with a mixer to get that consistency.

Does this not solidify as much because of the amount of olive oil in it? Or …am I off base?

Looks like a great recipe and I really can’t wait to try it.

Amy

Hi Amy, you’re right it does looked whipped but it’s not. You can get this pretty swirl just by stirring after it’s set up :)

The amount of beeswax in this recipe makes for a soft salve, it doesn’t harden like coconut oil can (under 76 degrees).

• DENISE says

Mine did harden like the coconut oil, it looks smooth but comes out chunky. Could I have too much of something or can you boil it too long?

• Darby says

You can get them at Walmart. A dozen for less than $9 in our area. They are located by the canning supplies.

The best prices are usually found at Walmart ($8.47 per dozen locally), however…at the close of canning season grocery stores will run sales too :)

• Laurie says

I received all my oils from New Directions aromatherapy today I am so excited to try this. My daughter has such a hard time relaxing and getting a good night sleep. She is about six months pregnant and I thought this might do the trick for her! I purchased some salve jars from there but they are plastic. So when I melt the wax and oils I figured I would have to let it cool a bit before I pour it into the jars. Then I would add the drops right? And these came with a dropper lid, love the smells already. Thank you so much for sharing this, I plan to make more for little gifts also. :)

2. Patsy says

The instructions say to add 90 drops of dream oil blend but the ingredient list totals up to 100. So which do I use, 90 or 100? Also, do you whip this after it has cooled to get the whipped consistency it shows?

• kim says

PATSY, the ingredient lists add up to 120 and is enough for 2 jars – once combined, add 90 drops to each of your 2 jars

• kim says

correction to myself lol the ingredients total 180 drops, divided by the 2 jars is 90 drops per jar.

I’ll bet that smells heavenly! I’ve been wanting to try essential oils for awhile now, and this sounds like it’s right up my alley. Thanks for the recipe!

4. Janet says

Can the essential oil mix be added to the melted oils (if I doubled the oil mixture)or does it mix itself when you pour the melted oil in?
    The salve mixture looks like it could be used for other purposes if different essential oils were used….
    I want to make this one soon. Thanks Jillee for this and all of you great ideas!

You can add the EO’s to the melted oils but I would do that in their individual jars…I probably wouldn’t just dump the whole thing into the pot. I guess you could do it that way but I like to make sure I get the right amount of oils in each jar.

5. Marilyn says

I’m with Sonia. Where do you buy the jars? I love them and they are perfect for this project.

• Darby says

You can get them at Walmart-a dozen for less than $9 in our area. They are by the canning supplies.

• CTY says

Ace Hardware will order any size canning jar you need. You can order on-line & pick up in store with no shipping.

6. Caitlyn says

Hi, I love making my own products at home & giving them to family and friends for holidays. This sleepy salve would be perfect for many people I know who have been having trouble sleeping for a while now. However, I do not have some of the essential oils stated above. Can I infuse the cinnamon bark and ginger from my dried stash prior to adding the other essential oils that I do have, like I do with some of my other homemade products? Will it be as affective do you think? Also, if I were to add lavender and chamomile do you think this would make it even more effective? Thanks and I hope you have a great day!

Caitlyn

Caitlyn, have experimenting with your choices. However, as I’m sure you know – pure essential oils are a highly concentrated plant essence. Your results may not be the same but you never know – infusion may work beautifully too :)

7. bk says

The jars can be found in the caning section of stores. They are 4 oz jelly jars. When you buy them new they come with the 2 part lid. Walmart, Meijer, Ace Hardware, or Bing search caning jars. This is a great time of the year to find them.

• Jennifer says

I hear ya. Losing count is sometimes my specialty. I’m thinking…85 drops is 5ml…could somehow use an empty bottle to help measure it out and then pour it in.

• pickles says

Or a medicine spoon or syringe….Its’ a 1:2…ratio, tsps would work.

I am thinking, why not lavender? just wondering.

• Gail says

I have a source that said 60 drops equals 1 tsp., so I’m guessing 90 drops would be 1 1/2 tsp. Of course, the “fun” part will be the time it takes to fill a tsp. when the drops come out of the EO bottle so slowly : )