Homemade "Clorox" Wipes

homemade wipes

Today, my journey to find cheaper, natural, and BETTER alternatives to the cleaning supplies I use in my home presented me with a showdown with what has been, up until now, one of my best cleaning allies…Clorox Wipes.

There are a lot of reasons why I liked these little gems. The main reason being that I like being able to grab a cleaning wipe whenever I need one. I don’t want to have to fill a sink or a bucket with water and add cleaning solution to it, and I’m not crazy about spray cleaners.

homemade wipes

I also have issues with rinsing, dipping and wringing out the same rag over and over (often in the same dirty water) until you are done. (I have the same issue with mopping the floor….but that’s a pet peeve for another day.) With the Clorox wipes you wipe up the offending mess, toss the wipe AND the mess away and grab another CLEANwipe and repeat until you are done.

That’s what I LIKE about Clorox wipes. Now for what I DON’T like. I despise paying $3.00+ for a bottle of 35 wipes that I could easily go through in just a couple of bathroom cleanings…and I despise throwing away all that paper and plastic after I’m done. Ugh. It’s such a waste. A waste of my MONEY first and foremost (I’m selfish that way), and a waste of resources for another.

So today I’m breaking the Clorox wipes habit and embarking on a new cleaning experiment. I found the inspiration for my Homemade Disinfecting Wipes here at LiveRenewed.com.  I read a LOT of different articles online about this kind of thing, but this one made the most sense to me.

homemade wipes

First thing I did was gather up a few of my old t-shirts that were beyond help (bleach stains, tears, etc.) and cut them up into approximately the size of baby wipes. I ended up getting 8 out of each shirt…4 from the front and 4 from the back.

homemade wipes

Next I got an empty baby wipes dispenser that I had been saving for just this project and threw them all inside. No need to get all fancy with folding and stuff…unless you really like that sorta thing. :-)

homemade wipes

UPDATE: 3/28/2012

After reading THIS ARTICLE about mixing Vinegar and Castile Soap, I decided to change the recipe I was using for my homemade “Clorox” wipes.
Lately I have been using this formula from Living On A Dime and I’ve been very happy with it!

• 1 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol
  • 2 Tbsp. Dawn dish soap (only use Dawn)
  • 2 Tbsp. ammonia (optional)

Stir and pour over cotton cloths.

In the interest of home science…I am sharing these disgusting pictures of my bathroom BEFORE I cleaned it with my homemade cleaning cloths….and AFTER. The rags and the cleaning solution were the perfect combination! I had to enlist the “Miracle Cleaner” for a couple of spots (like underneath where the toilet brush holder had been sitting)…but the rest of the bathroom was squeaky clean.

homemade wipes

homemade wipes

As for my pile of DIRTY cleaning rags….I dumped them all into the washing machine and dried them and here are my little pile of lovelies all ready for my next cleaning attack.

homemade wipes

And now that I have added this new weapon to my cleaning arsenal, I had to do a little rearranging of my laundry/cleaning supplies.

homemade wipes

From left to right:

And….the Clorox Wipes found a new home too.

Farewell old friend.

homemade wipes

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter13Pin on Pinterest28,583Google+4

Comments

1. Nikki Mann says

The only type of castile soap I could find is the bar kind. Will it dissolve in the water? And does anyone know where I can find tea tree oil?

2. Stephanie Wilson says

Hobby Lobby has Tea Tree Oil. Just ask someone where to find the "essential oils." Should be right by the candle-making supplies, I believe. I just bought some there. Michael's is a similar store and I would think they would also carry it. =) Hopefully you live near one of those!

3. Anonymous says

sounds like a great idea! I just recently started using homemade laundry soap and love it. where can I find liquid castille soap?

4. Anonymous says

This works great, but STINKs to high heaven. I even used the lavendar castile soap. I will continue to use, cuz it DOES work.
    In response to anonomys above, check out the natural foods aisle in your grocery store. That's where I found it.

5. Kate says

This is probably a stupid question, but could i just grate some off a bar of soap or would that not work? I'm totally new at this make-your-own-stuff stuff.

6. jaime says

:( i tried to make this over and over, the castile soap keeps lumping up, i tried both peppermint and almond dr. bronners, i made sure the water ws piping hot. :( so disappointed. oh well, water with a tiny castile soap has always worked pretty good for me, but i was hoping for amazing. bummer.

7. Anonymous says

I've also seen Dr. Bronner's at Walgreens. It's the bigger bottle (costs about 15 dollars) but lasts forever. I have one that I got last year and I've only used half of it. I know that any health food store will carry it, the bars (which are great for showering) and the liquid in various sizes.

8. Anonymous says

Someone was looking for tea tree oil. You can find it at most health food stores. It is also used for several things

9. Anonymous says

You can get tea tree oil in the pharmacy dept at Wal-Mart (at least around here in NC), and I get Dr. Bronner's soap at Trader Joe's.

Harris Teeter also carries a line of similar soaps, in smaller bottles.

You have an interesting blog, and I've enjoyed reading your posts. I'm working on eliminating as much unnatural stuff as I can from my life, in household/personal items, as well as in food products.

10. Erica says

I know this is kind of late…but hey, you could have used your old Clorox Wipes container for them, too! :)

1. [...] I don’t love is the waste and expense of the leading consumer brand. That’s why this idea from One Good Thing makes perfect sense. Reduce waste and expenses, recycle old T-shirts (as well as the old cleaning [...]

2. [...] I went to visit my parents for the weekend on their little farm. I get my self-sufficiency from them. I do not believe I could ever go as far as raising my own meat and I only have so much land to plant in the city (which is barely anything really because the little I have stays very shaded) but I will find other ways to do things myself. I even shared with my mom some of the things I have been doing and I made her homemade ‘Clorox’ Wipes that I got from One Good Thing. [...]