How To Make Your Own Lotion Bars!

With all the “experimenting” I do on a daily basis trying out new homemade solutions….my hands are in and out of hot, soapy water a LOT! It seems like I’ve never used more moisturizers on my person than I have this past winter. I am CONSTANTLY slathering some greasy goo on my hands, feet, etc in an effort to alleviate the extreme dryness! The problem is….I never seem to have the lotion with me when I need it! I love my homemade moisturizing lotion…but it’s hard to keep even a small mason jar of it in a purse! So when I heard about Lotion BARS I was intrigued. And the more I looked into them…I was MORE intrigued because it seemed like the answer to my poor dry hands and feet!

What is a lotion bar you ask? Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t know. :-)  Lotion bars are just what the name implies…they are solid at room temperature, but once you hold them in your hands for a few seconds your body heat will soften it allowing you to rub it on those much needed areas such as hands, elbows, the heels of your feet, and cuticles!

Hard lotion bars are also very CONVENIENT!  They fit easily in your pocket, purse, shaving kit, etc.  I need one in my purse AND my car!

But I think what  I like even MORE than the convenience…is the simple, natural ingredients that blend to “lock” in moisture. The beeswax in it makes the lotion ‘hard’ and keeps the lotion in the skin longer (vs. a pump lotion). Beeswax is the special ingredient that locks in the butters and oils that nourish the skin.

If you’re feeling do-it-yourselfish…Renee is sharing her simple 3-ingredient Lotion Bar recipe with us!  So, of course, I had to try it. :-)

Well, as you can see…while they’re not picture-perfect like hers…I was pretty happy with how they turned out! They’re kinda cute….and they work just as well!  Now I just need to come up with some cute tins, like Renee’s, to keep them in!

These would make such great gifts! They are so easy to make!

You can even purchase a DIY Kit that comes with every thing you need to make the lotion bar and lip balm!

How to Make Hard Lotion Bars for Dry Skin

Ingredients:

4.5 oz beeswax
4 oz shea butter
4 oz coconut oil

Combine pre-measured ingredients in a double boiler. Melt, stir well, and pour into molds (or use turkey baster to fill mold with melted lotion). Molds can be plastic or metal. Ice cube trays and cupcake pans both work great. I used one of the silicone molds I ordered off of Amazon.com for my Bath Fizzies. :-)

Allow lotion to completely cool before popping out and using. For ease in removing from mold, place in freezer for 30 minutes and then remove.

For more skin care recipes, check out MadeOn’s ebooks.

HAPPY MOISTURIZING!

Facebook683Twitter17Pinterest78457Google+9

Comments

Thanks for this information! Looking over the MadeOn Skincare Products site the Second Life Hair Butter really caught my eye. Since I have moved to Florida I haven’t had a good hair day yet….the humidity makes my hair frizz and the hair butter may be just what I need.

2. Gale says

I so want to try the BeeSilk bar. I work in a school cafeteria where we’re constantly washing our hands and then wearing gloves…since we can’t use lotion while working, by the end of the day my hands are so dry. I think putting this on at the end of the day would feel heavenly! I also want to try the bug block bar too!

I might just have to try my hand at making some of this too!

I’d definitely try the bug bar! Our black flies and mosquitos are just starting to come out. I am always on the hunt for natural ways to repel the little ‘buggers’.
    Thank you! (liked them on fb as well…)

4. Sandy B says

The Bee Silk sounds wonderful!! I think the DIY kit is also something I’ll be going back to check out again on the website. I also”liked” on FB too… Thanks for sharing the recipe and a chance to win :)

5. Ashley House says

Hi Jillee, I like the MadeOn FB page and after looking at the products I would really like to try Hard Lotion Bar. Like you I am in and out of the hot water a lot and my hands sure do pay for it. I found that I really like the O’Keefes Working Hands, but would much prefer an all natural alternative so this is just a great idea.

6. Gailanne says

What a cool idea, looked over the website and would love to try any of their products.
    The Bee Silk would be the first one I’d like to try, thanks for the chance to win one of these…stay blessed!

7. Michelle K says

I just took a peek at the MadeOn website & love everything! I think the rash cream would be great for my little one right now. I love the thought of all natural ingredients to treat his diaper rash.

8. Crystal says

I “liked” on Facebook and just took a look around the website – LOVE it! Since we do a lot of outdoorsy activities i.e. hiking around in the woods and the kids are constantly rolling around in the grass I am particularly smitten with The Bug Block. I also suffer with mild eczema and work in healthcare (which = constantly washing my hands) so for myself I am excited to try Bee Silk.

9. Susan Gilio says

They all look wonderful, but for the summer the Bug Block would work best for me, love to be outside, in the woods with the dog and golfing. I would even try it on my dog! I want to try the do-it-yourself kit, also. Thanks for such a great product.

10. Eileen says

I’ve heard of shampoo bars, but never lotion bars! These are great! I’d love to try either the Bug Block (we have a pond on our property, lots of mosquitoes) or the Beesilk bars (the chocolate would make me hungry all the time ;-D). I also love the fact they they sell a kit to make it yourself.

11. Amanda Collins says

I’m definately gong to have to make some of this!! (I’ve also liked her site on FB) I think the bug bar would work best for me.. anytime I’m outside, whether it’s evening or not, mosquitos are just DRAWN to me.. it never fails, I’m always whelpy when I come back in the house.. Thanks for sharing the recipe! this is definatley a try!

any of the bar lotions would be a hit in my house, but the Au Chocolat bar looks like it would smell SOOOO good! my husband is a potter and his hands can get so dry that they split. having a bar lotion handy would help him moisturize more often during the day.

13. Dara says

Love what I’ve seen so far on the website (and “liked” them on fb!). I would love to try the Beesilk Jr on my children’s sensitive skin. I am also intrigued by the Bug Block and Coffee Soap. Thanks for sharing!

14. Anne says

I liked MadeOn on FB…and their products look great! I’d love to try lots of their products…the BeeSilk looks great, as does the Bug Block and their lip balm. Thanks for the recommendation!

15. Patricia says

If I’m not mistaken the Beeswax makes the lotion dry unfilmy (if that’s even a word). My husband loves this stuff, but my recipe calls for a touch of coconut oil and I suppose you could add in some vitamin E drops (although I have not tried this).

16. Shannon Lambert says

I love the fact that she has a DIY kit! I’m orderring it so I can quickly make it while i search for the ingredients to make my own refills. I also “liked” on FB. This is awesome!

17. carmen says

The lotion bars would be fantastic! I hate traveling with liquids anymore and the lotion you find even at the better hotels just doesn’t feel moisturizing enough. Being able to throw a bar in your bag would solve everything!

18. Amy says

I would love to try the bug block. I don’t know about you, but putting bug spray on my kids can sometimes turn into a panic episode with them crying “no, it stinks, it’s sticky, etc.” This seems like a good idea if I do say so myself. Rub it on the exposed skin…no bugs. SOLD! …and I can continue to breath the air and not be contaminated by the spray!

19. Jacqui says

I would definitely use the rash cream for my little one. I’m always on the lookout for natural products to use on him. I’m excited to have discovered these products! Thanks Jillee and Renee!

1. […] These lotion bars are inexpensive and easy to make and are perfect for warding off that rough winter skin. Mom will adore the nourishment that the bars give and you can make them for around $10 or so for several (depending on the size that you want to make them). You can buy forms to create small decorative bars and fill a basket with them or just make a larger one – it’s all up to you. The bars contain beeswax, coconut oil and Shea butter and are the perfect answer to dry skin problems. DIY Instructions – Onegoodthingbyjillee […]

2. […] These lotion bars are inexpensive and easy to make and are perfect for warding off that rough winter skin. Mom will adore the nourishment that the bars give and you can make them for around $10 or so for several (depending on the size that you want to make them). You can buy forms to create small decorative bars and fill a basket with them or just make a larger one – it’s all up to you. The bars contain beeswax, coconut oil and Shea butter and are the perfect answer to dry skin problems. DIY Instructions – Onegoodthingbyjillee […]