My sister and I were having a conversation the other day about all the different ways we use essential oils in our day-to-day lives and couldn’t believe how MANY there were! It seemed like we could have gone on and on and on! At one point I grabbed a little notebook I keep in my purse and started writing them down….and the idea for today’s post was born! :-)
There are literally hundreds, maybe even thousands, of ways to use essential oils, and those of us who love them and use them find new applications everyday!
Here are just 35 of the ways my sister and I have used essential oils that might surprise you! I hope you will add some of YOUR uses too!
- Every time you change the air filters in your home, place a few drops of essential oil on the filter. It will kill microbes in your duct work, and make your home smell wonderful.
- Put a drop or two of essential oil on a couple of cotton balls and put one in each of a pair of stinky shoes.
- A drop of Peppermint essential oil under your tongue is an instant breath freshener. (Or make my Edible Peppermint Lip Scrub and then lick your lips!)
- For earlobes that get sore and inflamed from wearing cheapo earrings, rub a drop or two of Melaleuca essential oil on them and it takes care of the discomfort right away!
- Spiders & mice HATE peppermint. Fill a spray bottle with water, add 10-15 drops of Peppermint essential oil, and spray the peppermint water in the cracks and gaps where spiders & rodents can enter your home. Alternatively, add one or two drops of Peppermint oil to a cotton ball and place in these same areas.
- Use Birch, Eucalyptus, or Peppermint essential oil as a local anesthetic. If you are diabetic, apply to fingertips before finger-prick blood tests.
- Take a small roller bottle of Melaleuca essential oil to your next pedicure appointment and quickly dab and rub into each toenail before polish for an anti-fungal layer of protection.
- Stubborn headache? Add a few drops of Birch essential oil to a quarter-sized amount of shampoo and wash your hair. Or dab a few drops of Peppermint essential oil on your temples, neck and sinuses.
- Rub a drop of Lemon essential oil on the side of your nose to get relief from a runny nose due to colds or allergies. (This oil is photo sensitive. Do not expose the skin to direct sunlight for 24-78 hours after application.)
- Diffuse Lemon essential oil after cooking fish to eliminate that lingering fishy smell.
- To halt hiccups, add 4-5 drops of Peppermint essential oil to 1 – 2 Tbsp of room temperature water to a shot glass full of water. Drink in one big gulp.
- Create your own “Monster Spray” for kids to use before bed by adding a few drops of Lavender essential oil to a small spray bottle with water in it. It will create a monster-free zone and help lull kiddos into a restful sleep.
- Another option for bedtime…place a few drops of Lavender essential oil on your baby’s blanket or stuffed animal, and let the aroma do its work at bed or nap time.
- Take that same “Monster Spray” on the road with you. Spray around hotels rooms, including bed sheets and bathrooms, rental cars, or other areas to kill microbes and deodorize the area.
- Struggling with bed-wetting issues? No drinks for at least 2 hours before bed, use the restroom right before he/she gets into bed, and rub one drop of Cypress essential oil over his/her lower abdomen.
- Permanent marker is no match against a couple drops of Lemon essential oil and some elbow grease.
- During the summer, place a diffuser near the entrance to your home and diffuse Peppermint or Lemongrass essential oil to help keep flies at bay.
- Place a diffuser with Peppermint in it next to house plants infested with pesky mites or aphids. Or a combination of water and Lemon EO in a spray bottle will also do the trick.
- Add some Lemon essential oil to the soap dispenser of your dishwasher for dishes that sparkle!
- Let Lemon or Wild Orange essential oil “SOLVE” all your solvent needs. Use a few drops to remove gum from carpet & hair, to help remove sticky labels, clean sticky tree sap off of gardening tools, even clean a gunked-up whiteboard.
- Make flavored Ice cubes for lemonade, water, or punch by adding a drop of essential oil to your ice tray.
- Outdoor recreation spray. Add Lemongrass or Lavender EOs to water in a spray bottle and keep nearby when fishing, boating and camping.
- Use a Lemon EO soaked cloth to preserve leather jackets, microfiber sofas, etc and prevent leather from splitting.
- Give your smoothies a small flavor explosion with a drop of Lemon, Lime or Wild Orange!
- Add Cilantro, Lemon, and/or Lime essential oil to your favorite salsa or guacamole recipes. Gives an extra pop of intense flavor!
- Likewise, add a drop of Lime or Lemon essential oil to a tall glass of lemonade for extra flavor!
- Make your own mints with your favorite flavored essential oil, or a combination!
- Add a drop of Peppermint essential oil to your next cup of coffee for a delicious peppermint cup of joe.
- To fight germs on your gym stuff, fill a small spray bottle with water, add a drop each of Melaleuca and Lavender essential oil and spray down your gym bag, shoes, and yoga mat when you’re done.
- Add a drop of Sandalwood or Lavender essential oil to your shaving cream before your morning shave for a soothing and pleasant-smelling experience.
- Apply Melaleuca essential oil after getting a tattoo to avoid infection. Dilute with coconut oil or use as a spray with purified water. Another great option: Healing Salve with essential oils from Spark Naturals.
- Got dandruff? Add a drop of Melaleuca to quarter-sized amount of shampoo. Works for beard dandruff too!
- To ease Swimmer’s Ear, add a drop of Melaleuca and a drop of Lavender EO to a cotton ball. Wipe the inside of ear, back of ear and down both jawlines.
- Add a drop of Melaleuca to a cup of white vinegar (or 1/2 cup epsom salt) and add it to your next load of laundry for an inexpensive, all-natural, antimicrobial fabric softener.
- Put a drop of your favorite essential oil (I use Lemon or Peppermint) on a cotton ball and add it to your vacuum cleaner bag or collector cup for a fresh smell each time you vacuum.
What are some of your favorite ways to use essential oils?
Use coupon code “jillee” to get 10% off any Spark Naturals essential oils order.