Spring Cleaning Cheat Sheet (Printable)

spring cleaning

Did you know that cleaning your house is good for you health? Me either! As a matter of fact, there are times that I’m pretty sure cleaning my house is BAD for my health. Like the times when I am so frustrated by the lack of effort being put forth by other people in the house that I my blood pressure starts to boil….yeah…that can’t be good for my health. :-)

But if you go about it with the right state of mind and a couple of easy techniques, house cleaning can actually be stress-reducing!

folding laundry

One technique is to use cleaning time as meditation time. For example, when I’m doing laundry. It doesn’t take a lot of concentration to fold and hang clothing, so it’s the perfect time to just let my mind go wherever it wants to go. I actually get some of my best ideas folding laundry. :-)

If you don’t like to work in quiet, another option is to turn on some music and get moving. Music helps to take your mind off the task at hand and may even make you work faster.

dancing cleaning

Another stress-reducing technique is to “move your body”, i.e. running the stairs rather than walking. Quick movement releases natural mood-elevating endorphins into your bloodstream, making house-cleaning a lot more enjoyable. :-)

Best of all, the end product of all this cleaning is a clutter-free, clean home, which in and of itself, relieves stress.

organized kitchen

Since SPRING CLEANING seems to be on everyone’s mind lately…I thought I would share this House Cleaning Calendar I spotted at Reader’s Digest the other day. I’m personally not a big believer in SPRING CLEANING…..I mean why tackle everything during one season? Why not spread it evenly throughout the year? So I liked the no-nonsense approach of this list. I hope you will too.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE COPY

house cleaning cheat sheet copy

Facebook59Twitter13Pinterest3966Google+7

Comments

1. Janet T says

Just what I need to bring this mammoth task down to a size I can contemplate!
    Another idea (never tested, but sounds feasible): how about teaming up with 1 or 2 friends and going to each other’s houses to get through the chores? I find that cleaning is a lonely job and I lose momentum, but with companionship it would be sociable and possibly even fun. Everything completed faster and maybe even better, as some people like doing cleaning jobs that others hate, so friends can balance each other out . . . Well, that’s the theory! Any takers?

• Cynthia says

I totally agree!
      And you can do a one-pot meal that’ll feed your friends all day. We did this not too long ago when we helped a friend move. I went to her apartment early and made loaded potato soup and we kept munching on it through the whole day, because you could heat it as necessary.
      Also, I find that I love to do certain tasks that are a burden to others (washing dishes, and scrubbing baseboards, for example)…I am sure that getting together with some friends would take the stress and loneliness out of Spring cleaning! GREAT idea!

• PaulaG says

Great idea, and at one time (for a couple of years, as I remember), I was part of a team. It worked wonderfully! One day per week (I think ours was every Thursday) for 4 hours (as I recall), we would meet at one of our houses. There were 4 of us, so we each had a turn at our own house about once per month. Anyway, the house hostess each week would have a plan for what she wanted done. Sometimes we cleaned, sometimes we did major re-organizing &/or re-arranging projects (along with cleaning that area, of course), but always we had great conversation, laughter, and fellowship. I would sure like to have that arrangement again! We really got a lot of work done, and developed closer relationships at the same time. I encourage you to try to get something similar going! Everyone wins!

2. Kathi says

Do you have a formula for cleaning mildew from the tile grout in showers,and keeping it free of mildew? I have tried bleach, clorine (from my pool) and several cleaners and still battle the mildew. HELP!!!!

• Robin says

Please make sure you and family members use the exhaust fan in your bathroom(s) and continue running it for 20 minutes after the end of the shower/bath. That will go along way to alleviate the residual moisture that mold/mildew needs in order to live. Leave the door open as much as possible, I know that sometimes this is not feasible but it will facilitate the circulation of fresh air in the bathroom. Make sure to leave the shower curtain or doors open a little bit (several inches) so air can get in to circulate to help dry it out. Mold/mildew has only a few requirements: dark, moist spaces w/ some type of “food” source, thus your shower is the perfect place. Hope this helps….

• Connie says

Air, air, and more air! Be sure you run your ventilation fans every time someone bathes. Keep them running for at least an hour or two afterward if possible. Open windows on dry, sunny days. Keep the bathroom door open between uses. Also, I find that good old Lysol Spray used religiously in the shower prevents mildew, especially on shower curtains. Spray it liberally on the tiles once they are dry. Hope this helps.

• Tere says

Baking soda used as a paste will help with old grout mildew. You can use a toothbrush to apply it. I’ve used vinegar to remove it; works great. If you don’t want to use baking soda for some reason (I can’t imagine why, it’s so CHEAP!) toothpaste also works really well.

In the new house, wipe down your grout EVERY TIME you get out of the shower. I’ve seen on Pinterest that one of those dish cleaner things that holds detergent works; I’ve been meaning to try it. Fill up with 1/2 dish detergent, 1/2 with vinegar.

Vinegar is my go-to for everything. What vinegar doesn’t clean, baking soda will!

• CTY says

Long story but I have experience cleaning walls. Depends on surface. All walls can and should be vacuumed before any type of deep cleaning, all wall decorations & drapery should be removed (its a good time to clean them too). Work with as much light as possible.
      Nicotine stains: buy Clean-n-Brite (not for wallpaper)
      Flat paint: is the most tedious–Absorene dry cleaning sponges (hardware stores) for dirt & soot cleaning.
      Semi-gloss or satin painted: spray bottle with vinegar, water & a squirt of dish detergent–de-greaser as needed. Keep in mind that when you spray the run marks can stain–so bottom to top and wipe/rinse as you go.
      Wall paper: clean with a cleaning putty (this was the original use of both Silly Putty & Play-Doh); white bread can be rolled into a ball and used in a pinch. Try Absorene brand book cleaner.
      Natural wood/paneling: tri-sodium phosphate (TSP).
      Brick/natural stone fireplace walls: same recipe as for semi-gloss paint, scrub with scrub brush. I put lots of towels down because I rinse with a 2 gallon garden sprayer filled with warm water–again work in small areas.
      Glass/ceramic tile–degrease with oil (see Jillee’s Post -for cleaning the range hood) if needed, then follow up with V & W w/ dish detergent, rinse and wipe clean.
      Keep this in mind: 1. Always test a discreet area first. 2. Even if you are repainting, the walls should be cleaned.

3. jenw says

Music used to be my go to for cleaning/laundry…but recently I’ve discovered audiobooks! I’ve learned that I don’t hate folding laundry when I’ve got my headphones on and am listening to a book. I even LIKE folding! :) Audiobooks ain’t cheap…but if you find sites to sign up with a membership, they’re affordable. $15 for 55 hours of listening…that’s a lot of laundry/dishes/mopping distraction! :)

• Stephanie says

I like to use librivox.org for audiobooks. They have tons of free public domain books to listen to! Some of the readers are a little monotonous, but I’ve been able to find so many great books that I’ve always been meaning to get around to reading by using them.

4. khrys1119 says

too funny, this list has making beds and doing dishes, but yet there is no scrubbing of toilets, bathroom counters, mirrors, or kitchen floors here… or dusting It is missing many of the absolutely necessary tasks that take up tons of time every week and make it so hard to fit all of the extra “twice a month” and “every 6 month” things in. Of course if I could just get everyone on board with the “put things away when you’re done with them” the rest would be SO much easier!

5. Karen says

Love this idea, cuts cleaning down to manageable blocks of time! For many reasons I have to clean one of my bathrooms every day and I find if I get into a routine it’s not that bad, just part of my morning. This cheat sheet would make the rest of the cleaning the same.

• sage_brush says

Hi Karen, I also clean one bathroom every day, and its surrounding area, overlapping into the next area. That way is never overwhelming, and my house seems immaculate to those that stop by. (even though it really isn’t) I continue it outside, and do the yard work outside the area of the house that I cleaned.

Additionally – I do not spring clean, but tackle one thing in the daily area such as: if I am cleaning the family room, which also has tons of book shelves, if it is nice weather, I clean one window, if the weather is lousy, I thoroughly clean one shelf.

6. Lori says

One very necessary thing missing from your list. It is very important to clean the coils on your refrigerator at LEAST once a year. Some coils are located in back of the fridge, others are under the fridge. Vacuuming the dust from the coils allows better air circulation and your fridge will operate much more efficiently.

7. Sierra says

Thank you Jillee! Do you have any brilliant advice about … MOLD? I’ve recently moved from a dry climate to a warm, humid climate and I am no match for the mold they have around here. Normal bathroom cleaner and a LOT of scrubbing don’t seem to get the mold from the grout and tiles in my shower. I don’t know what to do, because I am nervous to use something as harsh as bleach in such a confined, low-ventilation area.

8. Maggie says

I want to add “amen” to the audiobook idea. I “read” while doing housework, yardwork, and grooming my show dogs. I don’t seem to have much time to sit and read a book so I enjoy doing tasks that don’t tax my brain so I can listen to books. They have such great readers now that audio versions can really enhance your reading enjoyment and, yes, public libraries usually have a great selection of all the latest books in this format.

9. Jillian says

I am so glad I never have to ‘spring clean’ any more! I follow Flylady.net’s system of cleaning, decluttering, and organizing my place and I no longer need to do any ‘big’ cleaning as it all gets done in small bits of time. In fact, I now only clean 10-15 minutes a day and less than 1 hour once a week (that’s when I do the detailed stuff). Spreading it out this way has made it a real joy to ‘housekeep’. It’s a WHOLE lot less stress for me too.

10. CTY says

Great list–I have a similar one. I too find the jobs are easier if you spread them throughout the year, instead of waiting for spring. Flylady is a great tool. Food for thought: I would reword “put away clutter” with “deal with clutter”—if it is truly clutter then it is stuff you don’t need so donate it or toss it.
    For the naysayers: As far as scrubbing toilets, I never spend more than 2 minutes on each. Its a gross job and that’s all the longer I can hold my breath for. The floor and carpet mishaps are cleaned on demand. Dusting happens when I vacuum with the attachment. Laundry one load a day, wash, dry, fold & put away–face it we have more than enough clothes we don’t require multiple loads in a day. If you are uber behind scrap the money together to go to the coin laundry to catch up.
    Side note: the history major in me feels the need to add a tidbit. Originally, Spring Cleaning came about because the old harsh cleaners had to have every window wide open. Also it was when the house was dirtiest due to coal soot & oil residue throughout the house. Summer was too hot & was canning time. Autumn was the harvest season with root cellar organization & more canning. Winter was too cold to open windows–and holiday decorating (like bows of holly or pine around windows inside & out to keep the draft down) and then all those delectable holiday foods that were weeks in the making.
    JILLEE–THANX FOR THE GREAT LIST.

11. Kathy Simkins says

I love your cleaning checklist. Might I suggest another area that you might want to consider creating a checklist for? I have noticed that the newer wives and mothers have not all been taught how to organize their kitchens and panties to maximize their efficiency. I have lovely daughter-in-laws that I think the world of but they are overworked and overwhelmed with their lives and all of their responsibilities that my heart aches for them. If they would just learn to store the items that they use in a particular part of their kitchen ( like all of the baking pans in one cupboard near the oven and all of the spices for baking in that same part of the kitchen they could do so much more with less stress running around the kitchen trying to find things to do a single task.) I have 2 of some items in my kitchen so that I can save time .I have a pair of kitchen shears and a can opener on each side of my kitchen. I have salt in a container in my baking cupboard and one in a cupboard by my stove. I try to save space and save time. I find that they have no idea that you can stack items in the dish cupboards. I have had lots of fun trying to find large cooking utensils in a seemly bottomless huge drawer in the kitchen. You have to dig through every donceivable device, and item just to stir a pot of stew on the stove. And they have no idea how to organize their food in a pantry. I have found non food items that should never be stored around food in with the food, cleaning products, bug spray, medicines. They waste time and energy and sometimes money because they haven’t got a clue about storing like things together. I know it was all basic knowledge to our generation but the later generations have missed out on this practical side of life. I think that you could really help them. I think that too often mother’s have had to work so hard that they forgot that this is something that you don’t necessarily learn automatically. I remember when I was in high school I had a home economics teacher that had no clue how to arrange things for efficiency in a kitchen, When she was gone due to an illness I had a free period and re-arranged the kitchens with some friends, When the teacher came back she was surprised and left a big note on the blackboard. WHOEVER DID THIS … SHOULD BE TEACHING HOME ECONOMICS IN THE LOCAL COLLEGE! We never did let on as to who did it. She had never been taught that basic concept.

• Charlotte says

I would have loved a Home Economics class when I went to school. My school was a parochial school. They taught everything you needed to know to get into college. Nothing practical for everyday living. I have had to learn by experience, usually the hard way, too. But you remember things better that way I think. I still don’t know everything and I’m 62 yo. I am learning how to do things better, easier and quicker every day.. I just rearranged my kitchen the other day for the 32nd time. LOL I, too, love these comment sections for I get so many great ideas. Like I said, I am still learning. :-)

12. Barbara says

I would like to add a very, very important “Once a Year” cleaning tip: Pull out your Dryer and clean behind it, remove the large tubing that attatches to the back of the dryer that vents outside and vacuum both the opening and the tubing. You would be surprised how much lint and dirt settles in there! At least once a month I use one of those dryer brushes after pulling out the lint screen, pulling up excess lint! I clean my lint screen with each load I dry, but am always surprised at how much excess lint accumulates in the dryer vent as well as the outside exhaust tubing. Not only will you notice your dryer working more efficiently, but you’ve significantly reduce a potential fire hazard!
    While you are at it, take the time to clean under and around your water heater and furnace, but I check these areas every time I change my furnace filter (monthly, as we live in the country surrounded in trees, which seems to generate more “dust”.

This cheat sheet is very useful! Thank you for sharing such detailed list. I can just add some more in case I would want to especially for my daily cleaning to avoid intensive cleaning every month. I can make this list as a strict guide in following my cleaning schedule!

1. […] grab yourself a cocktail, and lets get started. First you’ll want to clean the house, Here is a detailed list you can print that may help you out and if you’re into non toxic […]