Spring Cleaning Cheat Sheet (Printable)

spring cleaning

Did you know that cleaning your house is good for you health? Me either! As a matter of fact, there are times that I’m pretty sure cleaning my house is BAD for my health. Like the times when I am so frustrated by the lack of effort being put forth by other people in the house that I my blood pressure starts to boil….yeah…that can’t be good for my health. :-)

But if you go about it with the right state of mind and a couple of easy techniques, house cleaning can actually be stress-reducing!

folding laundry

One technique is to use cleaning time as meditation time. For example, when I’m doing laundry. It doesn’t take a lot of concentration to fold and hang clothing, so it’s the perfect time to just let my mind go wherever it wants to go. I actually get some of my best ideas folding laundry. :-)

If you don’t like to work in quiet, another option is to turn on some music and get moving. Music helps to take your mind off the task at hand and may even make you work faster.

dancing cleaning

Another stress-reducing technique is to “move your body”, i.e. running the stairs rather than walking. Quick movement releases natural mood-elevating endorphins into your bloodstream, making house-cleaning a lot more enjoyable. :-)

Best of all, the end product of all this cleaning is a clutter-free, clean home, which in and of itself, relieves stress.

organized kitchen

Since SPRING CLEANING seems to be on everyone’s mind lately…I thought I would share this House Cleaning Calendar I spotted at Reader’s Digest the other day. I’m personally not a big believer in SPRING CLEANING…..I mean why tackle everything during one season? Why not spread it evenly throughout the year? So I liked the no-nonsense approach of this list. I hope you will too.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE COPY

house cleaning cheat sheet copy

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter12Pin on Pinterest4,254Google+7

Comments

1. Janet T says

Just what I need to bring this mammoth task down to a size I can contemplate!
    Another idea (never tested, but sounds feasible): how about teaming up with 1 or 2 friends and going to each other’s houses to get through the chores? I find that cleaning is a lonely job and I lose momentum, but with companionship it would be sociable and possibly even fun. Everything completed faster and maybe even better, as some people like doing cleaning jobs that others hate, so friends can balance each other out . . . Well, that’s the theory! Any takers?

• Cynthia says

I totally agree!
      And you can do a one-pot meal that’ll feed your friends all day. We did this not too long ago when we helped a friend move. I went to her apartment early and made loaded potato soup and we kept munching on it through the whole day, because you could heat it as necessary.
      Also, I find that I love to do certain tasks that are a burden to others (washing dishes, and scrubbing baseboards, for example)…I am sure that getting together with some friends would take the stress and loneliness out of Spring cleaning! GREAT idea!

• PaulaG says

Great idea, and at one time (for a couple of years, as I remember), I was part of a team. It worked wonderfully! One day per week (I think ours was every Thursday) for 4 hours (as I recall), we would meet at one of our houses. There were 4 of us, so we each had a turn at our own house about once per month. Anyway, the house hostess each week would have a plan for what she wanted done. Sometimes we cleaned, sometimes we did major re-organizing &/or re-arranging projects (along with cleaning that area, of course), but always we had great conversation, laughter, and fellowship. I would sure like to have that arrangement again! We really got a lot of work done, and developed closer relationships at the same time. I encourage you to try to get something similar going! Everyone wins!

2. Melissa says

THANK YOU!! I sure wish I’d been keeping up like this, it makes it seem so reasonable!

3. Kathi says

Do you have a formula for cleaning mildew from the tile grout in showers,and keeping it free of mildew? I have tried bleach, clorine (from my pool) and several cleaners and still battle the mildew. HELP!!!!

• Robin says

Please make sure you and family members use the exhaust fan in your bathroom(s) and continue running it for 20 minutes after the end of the shower/bath. That will go along way to alleviate the residual moisture that mold/mildew needs in order to live. Leave the door open as much as possible, I know that sometimes this is not feasible but it will facilitate the circulation of fresh air in the bathroom. Make sure to leave the shower curtain or doors open a little bit (several inches) so air can get in to circulate to help dry it out. Mold/mildew has only a few requirements: dark, moist spaces w/ some type of “food” source, thus your shower is the perfect place. Hope this helps….

• Connie says

Air, air, and more air! Be sure you run your ventilation fans every time someone bathes. Keep them running for at least an hour or two afterward if possible. Open windows on dry, sunny days. Keep the bathroom door open between uses. Also, I find that good old Lysol Spray used religiously in the shower prevents mildew, especially on shower curtains. Spray it liberally on the tiles once they are dry. Hope this helps.

• Tere says

Baking soda used as a paste will help with old grout mildew. You can use a toothbrush to apply it. I’ve used vinegar to remove it; works great. If you don’t want to use baking soda for some reason (I can’t imagine why, it’s so CHEAP!) toothpaste also works really well.

In the new house, wipe down your grout EVERY TIME you get out of the shower. I’ve seen on Pinterest that one of those dish cleaner things that holds detergent works; I’ve been meaning to try it. Fill up with 1/2 dish detergent, 1/2 with vinegar.

Vinegar is my go-to for everything. What vinegar doesn’t clean, baking soda will!

4. Michele says

Impossible to employ right now, as we move in less than 3 weeks….however, you can bet this will become the “new normal” at our new place!

• Susan says

I usually clean house as we move in (floors, bathroom) and use it to clean the house on the way out too

• CTY says

Long story but I have experience cleaning walls. Depends on surface. All walls can and should be vacuumed before any type of deep cleaning, all wall decorations & drapery should be removed (its a good time to clean them too). Work with as much light as possible.
      Nicotine stains: buy Clean-n-Brite (not for wallpaper)
      Flat paint: is the most tedious–Absorene dry cleaning sponges (hardware stores) for dirt & soot cleaning.
      Semi-gloss or satin painted: spray bottle with vinegar, water & a squirt of dish detergent–de-greaser as needed. Keep in mind that when you spray the run marks can stain–so bottom to top and wipe/rinse as you go.
      Wall paper: clean with a cleaning putty (this was the original use of both Silly Putty & Play-Doh); white bread can be rolled into a ball and used in a pinch. Try Absorene brand book cleaner.
      Natural wood/paneling: tri-sodium phosphate (TSP).
      Brick/natural stone fireplace walls: same recipe as for semi-gloss paint, scrub with scrub brush. I put lots of towels down because I rinse with a 2 gallon garden sprayer filled with warm water–again work in small areas.
      Glass/ceramic tile–degrease with oil (see Jillee’s Post -for cleaning the range hood) if needed, then follow up with V & W w/ dish detergent, rinse and wipe clean.
      Keep this in mind: 1. Always test a discreet area first. 2. Even if you are repainting, the walls should be cleaned.

5. jenw says

Music used to be my go to for cleaning/laundry…but recently I’ve discovered audiobooks! I’ve learned that I don’t hate folding laundry when I’ve got my headphones on and am listening to a book. I even LIKE folding! :) Audiobooks ain’t cheap…but if you find sites to sign up with a membership, they’re affordable. $15 for 55 hours of listening…that’s a lot of laundry/dishes/mopping distraction! :)

• Stephanie says

I like to use librivox.org for audiobooks. They have tons of free public domain books to listen to! Some of the readers are a little monotonous, but I’ve been able to find so many great books that I’ve always been meaning to get around to reading by using them.

6. Angela says

Love all the tips. The audio books are a great idea, don’t forget to use your library for audio books. Thats what I want to use while sewing.

7. Jaci says

Boy this list is so realistic anyone could do it and keep up with it. Thank you Jillee!

8. Sandy Trifiletti says

Very timely as I am going to begin spring cleaning today. Thanks for the sheet. :)
    Sandy

9. khrys1119 says

too funny, this list has making beds and doing dishes, but yet there is no scrubbing of toilets, bathroom counters, mirrors, or kitchen floors here… or dusting It is missing many of the absolutely necessary tasks that take up tons of time every week and make it so hard to fit all of the extra “twice a month” and “every 6 month” things in. Of course if I could just get everyone on board with the “put things away when you’re done with them” the rest would be SO much easier!

1. […] grab yourself a cocktail, and lets get started. First you’ll want to clean the house, Here is a detailed list you can print that may help you out and if you’re into non toxic […]