28 Health and Beauty Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

apple cider vinegar

I have posted many health and beauty ideas in the past on this blog with Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) as one of the main ingredients. But I have never done a post devoted solely to this magic elixir….before now. Lately I’ve been hearing more and more about the benefits of this stuff and I have made a concerted effort to start taking it on a daily basis as a preventive measure. Which is not easy! As a matter of fact, I have had to make up my own “easier to swallow” mixture, while my sister takes it straight! Maybe someday I can work up to that…but maybe not.

Before I get started let me emphasize that in order to get the benefits of ACV you need to use raw organic ACV. This contains the “mother” of the vinegar which has raw enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria that promote healing.  Clear vinegar is processed and doesn’t have any of the benefits of raw ACV. I use Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, which I can find at my local grocery store.

As the title of this post suggests….I am going to focus on two areas that ACV is most beneficial.  Health AND Beauty!

Let’s start with HEALTH.

14 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:

Tame tummy troubles.

The pectin content in ACV helps treat diarrhea by forming bulk fibrous matter. The pectin also forms a protective coat for soothing the colon lining and intestinal spasms. Try mixing one or two tablespoons into water, or clear juice like apple juice.

Prevent indigestion.

Sip before eating, especially if you know you’re going to indulge in foods that cause indigestion. Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and drink it 30 minutes before you dine.

apple cider vinegar

Help clear a stuffy nose.

Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink. This helps sinus drainage.

Help for hiccups.

Since hiccups are often caused by either low stomach acid slowing the digestion of protein, or eating too much…ACV can be a great solution for hiccups. It restores the acid balance in the stomach and eases irritating spasms of the diaphragm.

Soothe a sore throat.

As soon as you feel the prickle of a sore throat, take some ACV to help head off the infection at the pass. Turns out, most germs can’t survive in the acidic environment vinegar creates. Just mix ¼ cup apple cider vinegar with ¼ cup warm water and gargle every hour or so.

Reduce swelling.

Rubbing apple cider vinegar onto swollen hands or feet reduces swelling. A wonderful thing during pregnancy!

Extinguish exhaustion.

Exercise and sometimes extreme stress cause lactic acid to build up in the body, causing fatigue. Apple cider vinegar contains potassium and enzymes that may relieve that tired feeling. Next time you’re feeling beat, add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to a glass of chilled vegetable drink or to a glass of water.

Relieve nighttime leg cramps.

ACV taken diluted in water twice daily, will dissolve acid crystals in the blood and provide potassium, calcium and other essential minerals to the body needed to ease the leg cramps.

Banish bad breath.

Due to its acidic properties, Apple Cider Vinegar makes a wonderful remedy for bad breath or halitosis. Simply add 1/2 tablespoon of ACV into a cup of water and gargle the mixture in your mouth for 10 seconds at a time until the cup is empty.

Fight yeast infections.

One of the best home remedies to treat a yeast infection is Apple Cider Vinegar. Add 1 and a half cups of ACV into a bathtub filled with warm water, and then soak in it for about 20 minutes. This should be done once a day for the first 3 days of the infection.

Foot or skin fungus.

Just as ACV can help kill Candida in the body, it is often useful against yeast and fungus on the skin and nails. If you have foot or toe fungus, soak the feet in 1 cup of ACV in water or apply directly to the affected area. For skin fungus or yeast, apply ACV directly. For children or those with sensitive skin, it is best to dilute the ACV with water before applying to the skin.

Control blood sugars.

The anti-glycemic effects of apple cider vinegar help to improve insulin sensitivity, which is essential to maintain the sugar levels of blood. Mix one teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of filtered water and take 3 times a day to steady your stomach’s rate of digestion which in turn will keep blood sugar levels more consistent. If you are diabetic, consult your physician.

Boost weight loss.

Many people claim that Apple Cider Vinegar promotes weight loss by speeding up the metabolism. A suggested remedy is to mix 2 teaspoons of the vinegar into a glass of water and drink this before every meal or sip it slowly throughout the day

Lower blood cholesterol.

Research has indicated that apple cider vinegar improves the lipid profile of blood by decreasing the levels of triglycerides and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) or bad cholesterol, as also by increasing the levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) or good cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol, consult your physician.

14 More BEAUTY Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:

Hair rinse.

Acetic acid, the main ingredient in ACV, will remove build up from styling products and conditioners and strengthen the hair shaft, leaving you with soft, shiny strands. It will also balance hair’s pH level, simulate the scalp to promote hair growth, and is a cure for dandruff. Dilute 1/3 cup ACV in 4 cups of water and pour over your hair after shampooing. Leave it in for a few seconds before rinse your hair using cold water to seal the hair shaft and create more shine.

Here is a wonderful ACV Hair Rinse from my sister’s blog – Camp Wander:  Rosemary, Lavender & Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse

Facial mask.

Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and bentonite clay, add 1 tablespoon raw honey. Apply to skin. Leave this detoxifying, deep-pore treatment on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.

Skin toner.

Psoriasis sufferers praise apple cider vinegar for reducing inflammation. Apply a few drops to a cotton ball and rub on your T-zone or other dry spots to prevent breakouts and minimize blemishes.

Here is a DIY Skin Brightener I did a blog post about last year.

Soothing bath soak.

The next time you get ready to slip into a warm bath, add one to two capfuls of apple cider vinegar. It draws toxins out of the body, leaving behind toned and moisturized skin.

Teeth whitener.

Gargle with apple cider vinegar in the morning. The vinegar helps remove stains, whiten teeth, and kill bacteria in your mouth and gums. Brush as usual after you gargle.

Invigorating foot soak.

Use apple cider vinegar to soothe aching and swollen feet.

Sunburn remedy.

Relieve the pain of a sunburn and minimize peeling by applying a wash cloth soaked in apple cider vinegar to the area.

Alleviate age spots.

Apple Cider Vinegar contains sulfur that fights the effects of aging, including age spots. Dab age spots, or liver spots, with ACV every night before you go to sleep. Do not wash off the vinegar. If you feel a stinging sensation, dilute the vinegar with water. Wash off in the morning.

Ease varicose veins.

ACV is great for varicose veins because it improves circulation in the vein wall and helps to ease the bulging and swelling vein so it is less noticeable and less painful. Combine equal parts ACV and your favorite lotion. Apply morning and night to varicose veins in a circular motion until absorbed. Depending on the severity of your varicose veins, you should begin to see improvement within a month.

Natural deodorant.

Most commercial deodorants are antiperspirants, which block your ability to sweat. Since sweat is one of your body’s natural means of detoxification, blocking your ability to sweat can block your ability to detoxify. ACV absorbs and neutralizes odors. Simply rub a bit of ACV in your underarms. The vinegary smell dissipates once it dries.

Acne remedy.

ACV kills bacteria and balances skin’s pH level. It also absorbs excessive oil from our skin, which is a leading cause of acne. Mix one part vinegar to 3-4 parts water. Apply solution directly to your skin with clean cotton pad, and leave it there for about ten minutes. After ten minutes, rinse off the vinegar. Repeat this three times a day. For severe cases of acne, the solution can be used overnight without rinsing.

Wart removal.

Try placing a cotton pad soaked in apple cider vinegar on top, then secure with a bandage. Leave on overnight and remove in the morning. If you stick to this consistently for a week, you should start to see results.

Relieve arthritis pain.

The potassium in cider vinegar may be especially beneficial because it works to prevent calcium build-up in the joints, which is linked to joint stiffness.

Improve bone health.

The abundance of calcium, potassium, magnesium, and other vital minerals, makes apple cider vinegar a good candidate for maintaining bone health.

How To Take Apple Cider Vinegar:

apple cider vinegar

As I mentioned at the beginning….as GOOD as ACV is for you….that’s how BAD it tastes! Which begs the question….how on earth are you supposed to get past that???

Well, for the hard core ACV enthusiasts it’s just added to some water and then “bottoms up!” But for more sensitive folks, like myself, there’s still hope! Just add some raw honey, stevia or agave to give it a little sweetness. Or you can chase it with a little sweetened apple juice. Whatever works for you!

Here are some general guidelines to follow:

For daily maintenance, weight loss and pH balancing:
2 teaspoons in 8 oz of water 3x a day (taken before your meals)

For treating an acute condition like acid reflux, cough, bronchitis, or sore throat:
2 Tablespoons in 8 oz of water 3x a day (taken before your meals) .

Do you use apple cider vinegar in your health and/or beauty regimens?

Facebook10269Twitter224Pinterest22710Google+85

Comments

1. Alice says

What a great post, Thank you for sharing. I wanted to share my most recent ACV experience. My mother was raised in European country side where they relied solely on organic and natural remedies one of which is ACV. She mentioned a lot of what your post is about and although I doubted it a little, I recently became hooked to learning more and believing. I have been suffering a horrible rash (to which doctors just told me to take some prescription for the itchiness). Long story short, I refused to take it and the rash was intensifying so, I did what my mother was telling me that is to rub ACV (organic) directly onto my skin and lo’ and behold IT WORKED IMMEDIATELY. Mind you I went through a box of Benedryl and suffered this painful rash for 3 weeks before opening my mouth to my mom to get her advise. Whatever kind of rash I was suffering from after using ACV and getting some vitamin D my rash started getting better even in the appearance of it. Thank God for apples and all things created to help us.

2. Sarah says

To get rid of yeast infection, always make sure you have Vitamin C powder/crystals in your medicine cabinet.. Place 1 tsp in some water, and drink morning and night, and within 3 days it’s gone.

You can purchase Vitamin C powder/crystals at your local health food store.

3. shell clark says

Acv really works!!! Trust me!!! I have really bad allergies and I have not had to go to the Dr. Or be on antibiotics yet!!!! Its great even though it tastes horrible…. bt I mix mine with apple juice hold my nose and chug.

4. Dee Bee says

On the farm where I was raised, the hard working men would be out in the cold early mornings but would stop to take a break in the morning to eat. They always drank a large hot cup of homemade apple cider with raw honey as soon as the weather got cool. They believed it kept colds away and apparently it did. Dee

• Gwyn says

So they warmed the ACV then? Hmm interesting, bet it’s more palatable warm with some honey a little like warm cider that’s just on the hard side maybe. Do you know though if warming it changes any of the benefits/makeup and if so what temp is the breaking point? I know it’s the “mother” that holds or creates so much of the benefit and I know that can be destroyed I’m just not sure how or what does it.

5. Robin says

My mom makes “Vinegar Tea” when she feels a cold coming on.
    To make:
    In a cup of hot water add 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 Tablespoons of honey. Drink while hot and repeat every 2-3 hours.
    My friends think we should change the name because there is no “tea” in the concoction!
    It really makes you feel better!

• Samantha says

Thanks for this tip. I woke up with a dry, sore throat and a bad sinus headache…the ones where you can feel it all the way into your back! Yuck!! I have been taking apple cider vinegar for weight loss, but I am going to try this! I really cannot afford to be out of school because of sinus congestion!

• Sue Bloomfield says

When I was first married my husband told me about the same ACV tea with honey. His grandmother swore by it and never was sick. We stopped doing it for a while but are going back to having it every night after dinner warmed up in a coffee mug. After you drink it for a while you get used to the taste but maybe we will try it with the apple juice/cider. This has so many benefits and since my husband suffers from arthritis we are hoping this will help with the joint swelling as well.

• Tammy says

Robin, if you use honey that was produced locally, your “tea” works great for allergies and sinus issues as well. I suffer horribly from pollen allergies, and by drinking one cup a day, have noticed I rarely have any issues now. It’s like getting allergy shots, without the needles!

6. Carrie says

I have been using ACV for the last few months. I figured as a daily drink it couldn’t hurt right… I haven’t lost weight, I haven’t seen any thing to get really worked up over unless you have IBS symptoms or lactose intolorence.

I have noticed that I am using the bathroom better and all of a sudden I am not gasy anymore. It has really been helpful for me to not get gas bloated after eating dairy.

7. Erin says

I’ve used Acv to clear up my kids’ pink eye. 1/4 tsp in 1/2 cup water, dropped in the eyes 3x a day. Cleared it up in 2 days. Stings a bit for a few seconds but even my drama queen 7 yr old could cope with it. ACV-love the stuff!

8. Cara says

I love drinking apple cider vinegar–Love it! My husband thinks it’s disgusting though and so I saw the other day on another blog how a woman takes it daily. She mixes it with apple juice and some raw honey and she says it tastes just like apple cider that way. It sounds like something to try for kiddos/husbands that aren’t interested in ACV :)

9. Lorna S says

To prevent swelling, itching and pain from a bee sting, dab a cotton ball in ACV (or white vinegar) and press onto the bee sting. If you do this immediately after receiving the sting, there will be minimal swelling or pain. Works every time!

• Antonette Lobo says

some beach I visited in Australia, they leave a bottle of vinegar(white) just in case someone gets a Sting Ray attack, with instructions what to do, that kept me out of the water, haha.

• MANDI says

Try eatting prunes instead. The single wrapped one are pretty good. I can not drink prune juice AT ALL it would not be pretty but me and the kids can eat them. I know the single wrap one are more expensive but they are easy to pack,stay fresh longer and will not go to waste.Just my two cents :)

• tracey says

and bypasses your teeth. one of the side effects of drinking any sort of vinegar or acid containing drinks is the erosion of your tooth enamel. using a straw and rinsing your mouth out after with plain water can really decrease that problem.

• Lisa says

I kept hearing people say that, so I asked my dentist, since there is soooo much misinformation online (and in person really!). Anyway, my dentist said that lemons are actually worse for your tooth enamel. She said as long as you’re not holding it in your mount, there’s no problem.

10. mary knight says

I take a glass of this with water everywhere I go to help with attacks of indigestion. A sip will clear my head and help me burp up. I have constant chronic indigestion and thank my lucky stars that we have ACV as a remedy. Another thing: it is a fermented food! Fermented foods have probiotics in them. I love reading about all the other uses, which I plan to employ. Great posting today.

11. Linda says

So glad that you posted this now as I just started “trying” to take ACV this week. It is the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth. Added honey but will add some Apple juice and see how it goes. Thanks for your blog along with your sisters;
    Dori and Rebecca.

12. KL says

I’ve have a ton of digestive issues since I turned 40. ACV is totally my savior! When my tummy starts to bubble I make an ACV cocktail. It’s 1-2 Tablespoons of ACV, lots of ice and about a cup of water. It’s truly a life savor!

• Lisa says

I have just. ..literally Just , started to take the ACV. I hope upon hope that it helps my stomach the way it has helped yours… I have the same issues and since I have gotten a little over 40 it seems more prevalent. .. it wasn’t why I bought the ACV as I didn’t know it would help with that …I was taking it for other reasons and one was fatigue… but I guess if it helps regulate your body’s alkaline state and kills bad bacteria and promotes good then it would help with fatigue and my stomach 《fingers crossed》 :)

• Joe says

I just started taking it tonight and hope it works for me too. I’ve been having stomach pains for months now and the doctor is pretty much scratching his head to what it might be. I’m only in my late twenties and this health issue has caused me alot of worry and grief. I’m hoping that the ACV will aid me in feeling better again.

13. heather says

Just a WARNING about ACV – you should always ALWAYS dilute it because it will eat the enamel off your teeth over time. The gargling w/ ACV straight is a terrible idea, for this reason. Diluted, it would be fine. PLEASE inform your readers about this. Thanks! Great blog, by the way. :)

• Lisa says

That’s actually not true, at least according to my dentist.

JILLEE… your blog is so awesome! Would you mind finding out about this once and for all and posting it? I’m sure dentists/dental hygienists even have differing opinions. Thanks in advance! ;-)

• christina says

ACV is definitely acidic and will cause acid erosion.Please dilute with water and don’t use it as a mouthrinse. -dental hygienist.

Also warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon tastes like apple pie

14. STACEY says

WONDERFUL POST TODAY……I LOVE RAW ACV………….Also good for chickens, I add about a Tablespoon of raw acv to a gallon of their drinking water about every other day (every day in summer) when I clean and refill their container. Not only is it good internally, but it also keeps the water container cleaner (less slime build-up) so, it’s not just for people !! Also, (off subject) I sprinkle a little of garlic granules into their morning mash (breakfast) not only good for the chickens to ingest, but keeps their POOP (technical term) from smelling so bad and attracting so many flies………..a win-win situation…………..

• KimmerZ70 says

One of my cats started peeing all over the place and even did it right in front of me and would have that sad meow cry when she did it. I did some Google research and long story short, she had all of the symptoms of a Urinary Tract Infection. I then Googled how to home remedy her and ACV was the magic solution! I had to put a bit of it in her wet food with half of a crunched up vitamin C pill. A few days later, she wasn’t crying anymore and was back to using the cat box. Saved me a ton on a vet bill too!

15. Qusie says

When I was a little girl half a century ago, I used to visit my Grandma on her farm. She would make all kinds of special treats for me, and I usually ate too many of them. When I would wake up in the middle of the night with a “tummy ache,” Grandma always warmed up a mixture of 1 tablespoon ACV, 1 tablespoon of water, and 1 teaspoon of honey (from her own hives), and made me drink it. I don’t remember it tasting too badly, but it worked better than anything I’ve ever tried since. It’s nice to see people going back to Grandma’s natural remedies!

16. CTY says

I’ll be adding ACV to my foot baths for now on.
    I was super excited awhile ago when I read about using it as a hair rinse– so much positive feedback from those who use it. I tried it and my long, wavy, super thick hair got tangled beyond belief. It took a bottle & a half of conditioner before I could even get a wide comb partially trough it. I ended up dipping the comb directly in conditioner & them to hair. In the end 3 bottles of conditioner were empty.

What I do now when I feel like my hair needs a treatment is the dip clean, detangled ends of my hair in ACV.
    Will venture over to Camp Wander to see what Rebecca has going on–maybe she has a magic solution.

• Gwyn says

Huh, that’s really interesting. While it isn’t wavy my hair has gotten very long and is very thick too and when I tried the backing soda hair wash it got very tangled and felt, unrinsed I guess is the best description, as well. I was very disappointed until I used the ACV and water rinse as soon as I put that on and rinsed the tangles came out and my hair felt better and when it dried it felt so much better than when I use shampoo and conditioner. My hair has definitely changed as I’ve gotten older and I though I was doomed but the vinegar/water rinse really seems to be the key for me. Funny your hair has such an opposite reaction. Too bad, I’m sorry it doesn’t work for you.

• KD says

How much ACV are you using as a rinse? I use about a tablespoon or so in a pint mason jar of water. But I don’t use any kind of chemicals on my hair (dye, perms, etc), so it’s not damaged by anything except the sun. When your hair is damaged and you strip away all the silicones put in conditioners to hide that damage, it can turn into a real mess. Sometimes I put coconut oil in my hair and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before washing it out. Works wonders. (coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft)

• Brandette W. says

CTY,
      I had the exact same issue! I tried this last year and my hair was a tangley mess and it took me quite awhile to get it back to normal. I never found anyone else have this issue, so I figured either I did something wrong or my hair is just testy. Glad to know I wasn’t alone!

• Bushra says

Same thing happened to me. I have got shoulder length but curly hair. Solution of it I managed to get was … comb your hair, shampoo … rinse with ACV, massage for a bit and then put hair conditioner (very little amount than you usually put)… and rinse. Do not try to comb hair right after that. Let them get towel and air dry. shake your hair to get rid to any more water. Works for me!! I usually never need to even comb my hair… they are untangled, soft and silky! :)

• jENNIFER says

I have very thick long straight hair, I have been using baking soda “shampoo” with essential oils, and ACV “conditioner” and have had no tangle problems. If I used the bakins soda wash alone, it was somewhat tangle, but as soon as I put the ACV rinse on, the tangles went right away. I love it and I use my own scents AND, save money. No one can believe what I use for my hair when I tell them. I recently cut 12 inches off, and I use even less now…I LOVE IT.

17. Tara says

I use it as a facial toner and my skin is loads brighter and clearer than it’s ever been. And I’m pregnant, which means it’s even combating all of the hormonal changes. It’s fantastic. My skin is kind of sensitive, so I rinse it off almost right away, but that seems to be enough. I also apply coconut oil to my face after the fact as moisturizer, and the two products are doing an astounding job. I’ve never been happier with my skin, and it feels like my skin has never been happier with me, either. ;)

• Stephanie Tethrake says

I put 2 tsp of undiluted ACV in a shot glass and do it like shots, which bypasses the teeth. Initially I had some burning sensation and chest tightness, but overtime I have adjusted tomit and it is pleasant now.

• Shannon Kendall says

I tried drinking it straight as I don’t like a lot of preparation for anything. It felt like it was eating a hole in my belly. I kept on for over a week until finally the burn was unbearable. Do yourself a favor and dilute it anyway.

18. THERESA says

My husband has had an itchy rash that breaks out daily for almost 3 years. The rash just appears for a while and disappears. Doctors have not been able to figure out the cause. He takes Benedryl and has prescription cream to apply which sometimes gives temporary relief for the itch. I bought the organic vinegar today and we will see if it works. If anyone has a suggestion to make this rash go away, we would love to hear it.

• Jon says

TELL YOUR HUSBAND TO CHANGE HIS COFFEE.
        If I drink too much coffee, or change to a different brand – i break out eczema rash.Hat to a steroid creme from my doctor.
        I diluted my coffee – filled the coffe mug half way, then added hot water. Amazing – my rash disappeared.
        If I go to a restaurant and order coffee – which is usually strong – in the middle of the night and the next day – I itch so bad – I have to put on the steroid creme for relief.
        Try diluting the coffee !
        ACV – does wonders for my digestion, relieves bloat and constipation – losing weight also!

• Hayley says

Hi Theresa
      Almost all of the conditions and diseases we face are from parasites (from foods, water, walking barefoot, people in restaurants not washing hands, pets etc the list goes on. Do some research online and look into doing a parasite cleanse, There are three natural ingredients in most products that can rid your body of over 100 parasites. Some good reading to be found on parasites in our body is http://www.drclark.co.uk/
      I also drink ACV in my water everyday, due to the alkalizing effect on the body once metabolised.

• Shelley says

Egyptian Magic will help your husband’s rash go away, or at least keep it down with regular use. Sometimes rashes can be caused by stress and need more than a topical treatment to help it go away (like learning to relax the mind). Some Costco locations have it in stock. If you order online, be sure to order from the actual company. Fake products on Amazon. Keep in mind that they “make no claims” to what it does because, I’m sure, only huge companies can afford the clinical testing to back the claims so take a look at all the testimonies. http://www.egyptianmagic.com/

• Diana says

Hi, I had some problem until one day I was reading the side effects of Rosemary. Light bulb went off in my head. I have rosemary plant and would make Rosemary Chicken or add to Salad. Too much will cause a rash. Keep a food diary and when he breaks out look at what he eat in the days before rash appeared. Hope this helps. Diana

• Kim says

I had a bad case of eczema on both hands for about a two year period in my early 40′s. I started taking about 3T’s of ACV daily w/ warm water and over a period of about 8 months the eczema went away. This was not topical, I ingested it. My Naturopath doctor agrees I have detoxed my kidneys. I agreed since toxin build-up presents itself in your largest organ, the skin! I went on vacation for a week w/o my ACV and the ezcema started to reappear. I swear by this stuff for most of the reasons llisted on this post. The most substantial benefit I would say i take it for is because it neutralizes your pH- making me more alkaline which can stave off disease. I have not had my anual bronchitis, a cold or been sick in any way in the year and a half since I started using it.

I just started drinking the Bragg’s ACV and water mix and also started cleaning my face as well with this and noticed my face clearing up within 12 hours. I sure hope it helps my eczema too. I have heard many great things about using ACV, I can’t wait to see the benefits.

~ Diana

19. Kathryn says

I began to get skin tags two months ago. My OB said it was because my blood sugars were getting too high and I had about 6 weeks to get them back to normal before my gestational diabetes test. (My last pregnancy was dangerously close to being diabetic.) I kicked into action by taking a glass of water with 1 Tbl ACV, 1 Tbl lemon juice, 1 tsp cinnamon, and a packet of stevia every day. Sometimes I would skip the water and put everything in a green smoothie. That made it a little more palatable and helped the cinnamon mix in. My blood sugars were completely normal and one of the skin tags went away completely. This recipe came from a youtube video posted on this blog: http://glutenfreewithjudee.blogspot.com/2013/06/drink-this-lose-weight-30-day-update.html. My daughter was also coming down with a nasty cold. I made her drink ACV with Airborne and it was gone in two days. I’m a believer!

• Stacey says

I, too, heard it was good for skin tags. I had a bad one in my armpit that I kept cutting when I shaved. I didn’t want to buy the $40 medicine. So I dabbed Braggs straight on it for 2 days. On the 3rd day it fell off, after turning black. I was amazed it happened that fast. It had been there for a year so I can’t believe it was a coincidence.

I LOVE apple cider vinegar! I had 4 warts that I’ve had for a long time, and ACV got rid of them in less than a week! At night, I doused a cotton ball with ACV, put a band aid over it, and let it work over night. You literally can feel the ACV working! This meant no doctor’s visit and what a cheap remedy!

21. KD says

I am going to have to try this for DH. He wakes up in the middle of the night with terrible leg cramps. He’s tried taking supplements and eating one or two bananas a day, with no results. Maybe this will help! (especially since getting him to go to the doctor is near impossible!)

• Cathy says

My husband gets severe leg crams at night. He also has extreme soreness and swelling around one of his knee’s as well, I suggested banana’s too, but they upset his stomach. We bought potassium vitamins. He takes them daily now. Within only a few days there was a dramatic difference in his pain level. No more banana’s here, we will stick to the potassium supplement instead.

This might help your husband too.

• Hayley says

Hi Cathy

Black cherries are also an excellent anti inflammatory, I had excruciating pain in the joint of my large toe for almost an entire day a few months back and after researching, I ate a packet of black cherries and within half an hour my pain was gone, so now when faced with any inflammation I eat black cherries and it seems to do the trick.

• susan luna says

try taking your favorite lotion mix apple cider vinegar in it sheke up good massage into knee or legs i did it have varicous veins and they swell within minutes swelling and pain went away do it as much as you need to but do it in circular motion

22. Aunt Hilda says

I’ve been treating Seborrhoeic dermatitis as well as perioral dermatitis for years. I heard about using ACV on a recipe exchange group over a decade ago. Been a loyal and true ever since. Thanks to your article, I was saved from having to buy the secret elixir recipes. Thank you, Jillee!

23. Sarah says

Decided to try ACV one day when I was having horrible indegestion and had no Quick-Eze tablets. And it worked so well if not better than those tablets because it worked for much longer! And this is with the clear stuff because that’s all I had. Haven’t got around to trying any of the other benefits yet but it is magic stuff.

24. KK says

Love this post, Jillee! Any one know if ACV is bad for receding gums?? I know one is supposed to avoid acidic things such as grapefruit, so would ACV also be wise to avoid?
    Also, I can’t imagine using Braggs on my hair (too expensive). Would an inexpensive brand be good for the hair & save the Braggs for internal use?
    KD, does coconut oil wash out easily from hair? I love it on my skin but would be concerned it wouldn’t thoroughly rinse out, thus leaving my hair oily:(

Hi KK! I would probably check with your dentist before using ACV. An inexpensive brand might be ok on your hair but I think Braggs would be the best. I’ve read comments from a couple of people saying that you don’t want to use much on your hair.

25. Josh says

It also make bruises go away fast. My wife bruises very easily during her time of the month. She will get a bruise from sitting on a hard toilet seat or a unpadded wooden dining room chair, or when the kids run up and hug her when they come home from school. A friend of ours mentioned that she should use ACV to heal those bruises. We looked it up on the internet and many people actually recommend it. So we tried it. Normally her bruises last for about 2 weeks. When they appeared we put ACV on them a couple times a day and 4 days later they were all but gone.

• Rachel says

I’ve had the same results with acv and even white vinegar on bruises. If I hit my self hard and know it’s going to bruise I try to soak a cotton ball in vinegar and apply it to the area for 30-40 min and it seems to take care of the problem! This has only been for smaller bruises and I normally can get to them before they show much discoloration. The longer you wait and the bigger/deeper the bruise the longer it’ll take to heal obviously.

• Ellen says

Your wife sound extremely Vitamin C deficient. You might look into that….not ascorbic acid–it’s the outer “envelope” of the C complex. Use a whole food vitamin C.

26. Patricia J says

I just have to chime in here. I started drinking 2 tsp ACV, 2 tsp local honey, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon all diluted in 8-10 oz of filtered water 3 times per day. I started on Saturnday morning so by Sunday afternoon I had consumed 5 doses of the drink. While cooking I had a blonde moment and burned my finger tips quite badly. I HATE burns, I really HATE burns, and on the fingertips of my right hand, what a terrible place for burns, it seems like they take forever to heal! I did all of the normal stuff, running my fingers under cold water, then held them in a ice water bath.
    Later in the evening I thought to myself that the blisters were already going down but did n’t make any connection with the ACV yet. This morning there is almost no pain. The redness is all gone, there are still white spots where the blisters had been but, I repeat, no pain. This is fantastic, I have never had a burn heal this quicly, the ACV is the only variable here so I have to say that this is another of it’s benefits. I am now on day three, haven’t noticed any dramatic benefits yet, but I do think it was a bit easier to wake up this morning. I will update in a week or two.

27. Ansley says

Not sure if someone mentioned it but Braggs has flavored drinks. That is what I use. I get grape-acai, apple cinnamon, and honey. They are 16oz. I drink it for overall health. One of my Doctors recommended ACV years ago and I didn’t listen. Now I am a believer! My indigestion is gone and I have used it to help my weight loss. I have a shot glass (2 tbs) that I fill in the mornings. Down the hatch! Then I fill it up with water and drink it to rinse my mouth. It’s that easy :-) One bottle lasts me for 2 weeks. Several stores here carry as well as online at the Bragg website. I get it for $2. That is almost as much as a soda and way less than Starbucks . lol

28. Amber says

I am a firm believer in the wonders of acv but I have to say this: Never drink or gargle undiluted acv, it is damaging to tooth enamel. I actually enjoy my daily glass(es) of acv, honey, and water.

29. Miranda says

Where did you get your information from? A lot of your “tips” are word for word with some other articles that were written sooner than your article. You may want to link back to the sites you used so that it doesn’t look like you are trying to take the credit.

30. missy says

I use acv as a hair rinse a couple times a week and it does seem to make my dry hair a bit softer and shinier. I’ve also used it as a skin toner and to deal with itchy skin with pretty good results. I’m going to give drinking it a shot for energy because I’m trying to get off caffeine. Thanks for your posts and to commenters for their input too.

31. claire says

I love the stuff! I was originally using it for my horse to aid her joints but one day my hands were so painful and stiff, I figured it was worth a shot. Literally within an hour I went from no movement in my hands to full movement again. I was amazed! I take it everyday for my joints now although somedays I do skip since its not the tastiest thing!

Weve killed a wart with it which took two days of ten min soaking.

I went on a course of antibiotics recently an my skin was soooo oily so I wiped my face with some and from then on it wasn’t oily.

My hubby has itchy feet so I will try that soak you mention.

32. Yvette says

juSt A Word Of Warning. Too Much Of A Good Thing Can Become A Bad Thing. Apple Cider OR Any Kind Of Vinegar Inhibits Your Bodies Ability To Absorb Iron.
    If YouAre Prone To Anemia A C V WillAdd To This Problem.
    I Am A ‘Believer’ In The Benefits Of A C V ButHave To Curb My Intake For Emergencies Only Since I Struggle With Anemia.

1. […] the beginning I wanted to drink apple cider vinegar. It’s not an exaggeration either – many times I’d mix with water and drink it.. I would put it on everything, my favorite was to cut up a really cold apple and cover it with […]

2. […] Some health benefits include weight loss. It helps you lose weight because it increases and speeds up your metabolism. Taking 2 tsps of ACV and mixing it with 8 ounces of water is a concoction you can take three times a day typically before each meal. The calcium, magnesium, and potassium found in ACV also helps to maintain bone health keeping them strong rather than brittle. Learn more about ACV here. […]

3. […] Exercise sometimes causes extreme stress cause lactic acid to build up in the body, causing fatigue. Apple cider vinegar contains potassium & enzymes that may relieve that tired feeling. Next time you’re feeling beat, add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to a glass of chilled vegetable juice or to a glass of water. via One Good Thing by Jillee  […]