13 Simple Tips To Freshen Up Your Home’s Decor For Spring!

spring decor

I don’t know about YOU….but *I* am READY for SPRING! Even though we’ve had a fairly anemic winter this year where I live…I am MORE than ready for spring to have sprung already! I can only imagine how those of you back east that are still getting clobbered by winter storms are feeling!

So to help get us through this last gasp of winter weather and ready for the glorious springtime ahead…I have gathered some ideas for bringing our homes out of hibernation and into the bright sunshine of spring!

First things first…..

spring decor

1. Start With A CLEAN Slate

Clean out all the dirt and grime winter left behind. Scrub the floors, and dust and wash the windows to let the sun shine through. Unclutter shelves, cabinets, tables and countertops. You’ll be surprised how quickly your home starts to feel fresher once it’s CLEAN.

spring decor 3

2. Organize Before You Decorate

Banish winter to the basement or garage. Collect ice scrapers, shovels, salt and other winter survival gear and relocate it to an out of the way spot. Move your sweaters and other winter clothing to storage and get out your spring and summer duds. Reorganizing will give you a whole new outlook for spring.

spring decor

3. Bring The Outside In

Fill vases with your favorite blooms and place them on tables, mantles and window sills to remind you that spring is here. Buy an inexpensive bouquet at the grocery store and split it up around the house. I like to use pretty little mismatched vases or mason jars.

Don’t forget nature’s other gifts as well. Gather branches, pebbles, shells, etc and place them in simple containers around the house.

spring decor

4. Paint Your Front Door

This is something I definitely have on my “To Do List” this spring! Actually it’s on my husband’s to do list because he has wanted to try a new color for the front door for a long time now and I have been too chicken. This year is the year! What color do you think I should try?

spring decor 6

5. Paint An Accent Wall

Spring is the time to paint, since you can finally open your windows and let the fresh air in. Paint an accent wall a high-contrast color (the brighter the better). My friend Natali painted one wall in my bedroom as a Christmas present last year. I chose a bright coral color and I LOVE it!

All you need is a single quart to completely transform a space. You can add in accessories to complement it and simply change it when you get tired of it.

spring decor 7

6. Give Your Bookshelves A Boost

Relieve the monotony of rows and rows of books. Sort books by size and subject…line up books, some vertically, some horizontally, in patterns…or arrange books by color for another surprising change. You can also pack a punch by papering just the inside back section of a shelving unit. It’s quick and easy to do, and you get the look of wallpaper without it taking over the entire room!

spring decor 11

7. Perk Up Your Pillows

One of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to update your home is to make or buy new pillow shams for your throw pillows. Replace the throw pillows on your sofa or bed with bright colors & patterns and don’t be afraid to mix in a bold print.

spring decor

8. Change Up Your Furniture

Now’s the time to swap that dark wood bench or upholstered chair for a lighter, spring-colored wicker replacement. Bedrooms, bathrooms and living rooms will welcome the warm seasons when filled with wicker or other garden-inspired furniture. One of my favorite things to decorate with in the spring and summer are vintage watering cans!

spring decor 12

9. Give Life To Old Furniture & Accessories

Adding doses of color doesn’t have to mean a big price tag. Purchase second-hand items such as a side table, or a wooden chair. Small pieces can be easily sanded, primed and sprayed with your new color crush. When you’re tired of them and want to create a new look, give it away or re-donate it.

spring decor

10. Revive Your Bedroom

Strip the flannel sheets and go for cool, silky, high-thread-count cottons. Change out winter comforters, bedskirts, duvets or pillow shams for others in light-colored sheers and florals.

spring decor 13

11. Fill The Fireplace

Now is the perfect time to sweep away the ashes of winter fires and start fresh. Fill your firebox with silk plants, an arrangement of candles, or a display of beautiful birch logs. Or, cover the box with an attractive folding screen.

spring decor 14

12. Play with Punches of Yellow

Nothing says “spring” like the color yellow. Lemons are a fresh, inexpensive style accessory that are also readily on hand for cooking! A large white bowl or tall glass vase of lemons can bring instant style into the kitchen for spring. Pots of yellow daffodils can do that same!

spring decor 15

13. A Whiff Of Spring!

Since it’s now starting to look like spring inside – make it smell that way too! Replace your winter candles and potpourris with spring scents. Place a different scent in each room so you notice the change as you move through your house. Essential oils are a great way to add a fresh scent to your home and lift your spirits at the same time. I love the combination of lavender and grapefruit in a diffuser! Makes my home smell so fresh!

spring decor 16

If you are looking for MORE design and decor inspiration for your home…..check out my Pinterest board From House To Home,” or check out the Pinterest board for the awesome new reality series, NBC’s American Dream Builders.

spring decor 17

The series, NBC’s American Dream Builders, is from the producers of Survivor and The Bachelor and is being hosted by Nate Berkus. It follows the nation’s top 12 designers and home builders as they compete to be crowned the Ultimate Dream Builder and take home a $250,000 cash prize.

I have always admired Nate’s sense of style ever since he first started appearing as a guest on the Oprah show many moons ago. So I know if he’s involved there is going to be lots of great design and decor ideas involved!

spring decor 18

During each weekly episode, two teams will take on a brand new project and must redesign and renovate the space from the inside out – all in a matter of DAYS!

The show premieres Sunday, March 23rd on NBC.

Check out this video for a SNEAK PEEK!  I can’t wait to see what they come up with! If it’s anything like Survivor or The Bachelor it’s sure to be jam-packed with surprises!

Facebook31Twitter20Pinterest998Google+12

Comments

1. Carla says

Love all the ideas! Starting a bit of cleaning and tackling a big painting project over spring break next week. Last year I painted my front door dark blue. It looks good and most people love it. Now that my husband has gotten used to the idea of a painted door…this year, I am sanding it down and repainting it, plum! Great minds think alike Jeanne!

2. Tracy says

Snow is coming down fast & thick here & I am more than ready for spring & some warmer temps! I want to paint my front door too. The house is a cream color with a dark green roof & trim. Anyone have suggestions for a color?

3. Rachel says

I looked online last year at different color ideas for painting my shutters and my house. My house is a light gray and so I went with black shutters and a red door (Red Gumball by Benjamin Moore). I absolutely love it. Red means lots of different things but the meaning in Scotland is that you have paid your mortgage off. Not there yet, but here’s to hoping! Instead of replacing my handle (which would have been about $100) I spray painted it metallic gold for a fresh look.

I have a brick home with beige trim & painted my front door a bright teal (which is what is in my den that you see when you come in the front door)! The HOA pres. stopped by & was so impressed he went home & asked his wife to paint their door yellow!!

I have an inexpensive way to freshen up and change my pillows : I simply buy some nice fabrics according to the season, dark in winter., full of color in spring,
    And I use a hot glue pistol (is it the correct translation ? That s how we call it in French!) to glue the fabric:

I wrap nicely the pillow in fabric and glue it perfectly (it sticks 6 months without a problem,vene in a. Use living room – I just stick one side , so if you want to sleep on the pillow you use the unglue side as glue sometimes can be a bit hard)

I also change my chairs cushions (undo the seat , I have chairs where the sitting base is not fixed by screws, so it s easy, I wrap with fabric, a hunch of hit glue, hop, whole new kitchen for summer !)

And I play and use my fabric to

Cover my dog mattress in the living room : so it s an element of decor too (and it goes to trash when it s dirty. Much easier than washing !)

Cover a plant pot for example in a funny way,
    Or a few books
    Or make a table cloth

With a nice and inexpensive fabric (I often use Ikea ) it s like making the house brand new for a few bucks, and with the hit glue pistol it s done in a few minutes !

Thanks Jillie for all your ideas !

And happy spring to all

6. Joe says

I like things that have a dual purpose.
    In my case, I can never find a pen to write down a message. Everyone walks off with them. I wrap an artificial flower around a pen using florist tape. Fill a vase with dried beans, aquarium gravel or pea gravel. Jam the pens in the vase and I have a bouquet and a supply of pens. With the flowers attached, everyone replaces the pen to the vase. All materials can be found at places like Walmart or the dollar store.
    Not a new idea, but maybe some of you have not seen it before.

7. Sophie says

Hi Jillee, love your blog, read it every day. I don’t know if other people know of this or not. I have two lamps that have silk lamp shades, I’ve put off cleaning them because I just didn’t know how to do it. Magic eraser to the rescue! I took a clean eraser and used it DRY on the lamp shades, it was a miracle. These shades were horrible (2 dogs, 2 cats and tons of dust) Then I wondered if I could get the eraser clean, just ran it under warm water, eraser and lamp shade like new. I read the story of your recovery, I have 25 years, and i’t s been a wonderful life!!!

8. CTY says

Something that can usher in spring (even if the weather is not cooperating) is changing up the menu. Opt for simple baked entrees (like Chicken L’Orange) w/ fresh steamed vegetables & bread sticks rather than cream and cheese based casseroles or stews with biscuits.

9. Sandy says

About two weeks ago I decided I have had with winter, even if winter is not done with us. Been “spring” cleaning ever since as time permits. By the time spring arrives I should be done. Snow is melting today, but w are getting more during the night. Grrrrrr

10. Michelle H says

I also want to paint my front door this spring! Any advice on colors? Do you stay away from light colors because of scuff marks? We have a white door right now and the bottom is covered in marks from the kids!

11. Sunni says

Hello Jillee, I have two questions for you. (1) What is the bookshelf paper? Contact paper, wallpaper? I love the idea. (2) I bought the diffuser but was disappointed to see the instructions say not to use citrus oils in it because of corrosion, yet I see you used grapefruit? I’d love to use orange, do you think it is okay?

Hi Sunni!

So the picture of the bookshelf is actually a stock photo I found so I’m not sure what they used. I think contact paper or wall paper would work wonderfully!

I actually use citrus oils in my diffuser all the time. They will EVENTUALLY degrade the plastic but by the time that happens you’ll probably need a new diffuser anyway!

12. Comet says

To change out the color or pattern on a shelf unit you don’t have to commit to the look forever. Buy FOAM BOARD at the crafts store or WM. Cut to fit so it is a tiny bit snug so it stays in place. Then cover THAT with the wall paper. paint or contact or scrap book paper. If you attach a piece of embroidery thread to match just at one edge you can pull it off when you want to change things.

For deep shelves I have also seen this used as a false back with decor items placed in front and storage items hidden away—think out of season decor or books you don’t want to display right now but don’t want to toss.

13. Ann says

I guess I’m in the minority, but I actually love winter and all the fluffy clothes and cold temps that go with it. lol Having said that, though I do love the extra sunlight and longer days that spring brings. Those are some GREAT ideas to brighten up our homes for the new season. I started my spring cleaning today actually. The windows will have to wait until warmer temps come our way though. I’m also in the mood to repaint so my living room is next on the list. We repainted our front door red last year so no door painting this year. I love it and it goes with our charcoal gray shutters and cream colored house very well. One of our neighbors painted her front door a BRIGHT yellow and I have to say it looks AWFUL. lol Great idea but the color is just wrong. If she had gone more toward an orange, I would have like it. Anyway, sorry for the book!! Good luck with your door painting! I’m sure whatever you choose will be gorgeous. :)