Simple Handmade Gifts – Part One

handmade gifts

I read a rather frightening post online tonight about Christmas Consumerism and how our spending is completely out of control! Guilty!

Don’t get me wrong…I don’t spend LAVISHLY on my family and friends…but I most defininitely OVERspend each year. I always have in mind what I want to spend for gifts, food, decorations, etc….and it never fails but that I always go over!

This year I am TRYING to do things a little differently.  My daughter and I were talking on the phone recently about how stressful and expensive Christmas is and decided to make this year a  “handmade” Christmas…at least for the most part. With 12 and 16 year old boys still at home…this isn’t going to fly completely. I will have to make a few concessions in the form of video games, etc.  But, like I said, for the most part, this is what we are going to try and do.

And taking it one step further….we have decided that “doing” something for someone in the family is as much a gift (if not more!) than something wrapped up in paper with a pretty bow. So some of our gifts are going to be gifts of time/effort/SWEAT! :-)  For example…I REALLY want to do a makeover on our “builders special” mirrors in our bathrooms like this one at InMyOwnStyle.com or this one at TheHouseofSmiths.com   I just think it makes SUCH a difference and is a fairly easy do-it-yourself project with a lot of “bang for the buck”.  So that is what I am asking “Santa” for this year. If I get it….it could possibly be one of the most fantastic Christmas presents I’ve ever received. :-)

I’ve titled this post Simple Handmade Gifts – Part One….because I have SO many of these I want to share…but feel like posting them all at once would be a bit much. So, since I know there are at least a few more such posts I will be making….I’m calling this Part One.  Don’t worry…this is not going to be a day after day after day thing.  Just when the mood strikes me. :-)

So here are the first 6 offerings for your gift-giving inspiration. I didn’t want to “label” any of them as “Teacher Gifts” or “Neighbor Gifts”, etc….but any of them would be great for those and all sorts of other people on your list and in your life.

handmade gifts 7

DIY: monogram mugs
at
DesignMom.com

What I like:
Anything monogrammed I think is fun and shows a personal touch.  I’m also partial to mugs…especially WHITE mugs. :-)  I love the font she’s used here for the letters….but you could use whatever strikes your fancy.

A couple others fonts I thought of that would be cute:

handmade gifts 8

handmade gifts 2

cereal box notepads
at
InfarrantlyCreative.net

What I like:
Two words come to mind…..FUN and COLORFUL!  But beyond that there are some GREAT possibilities with this one. First of all it’s a great tutorial on how to MAKE a notepad…and with that knowledge you can take this idea in a lot of different directions. You could make the notepads and go a completely different direction for the covers.

Or you could lose the covers altogether and just make the notepads.

How about a custom notepad for teachers like the one here at GoodLookCookbook.com??

My guess is any teacher could use something like this!

glass tile pendants
by
TheIdeaRoom.net

This blog is quickly becoming one of my favs for DIY ideas! She’s got a MILLION (well it seems like a million anyway) of them! I guess her blog name is rather appropriate.

What I Like:
These are so quick, easy and inexpensive to make…you could make them with abandon and not feel bad about giving gifts to everyone you know! :-)
Actually, I think this would be an ideal gift for girls to give to their friends. I remember as a girl making long lists of all my friends I needed to get Christmas presents for…and of course my Mom telling me that was preposterous. lol.  It usually ended up being a lip gloss or a chocolate bar or something….but something like this would have been COOL!  Once again, there are endless possibilities for changing up the look and even personalizing it for each giftee.

handmade gifts 3

monogrammed hand sanitizer/soap bottles
at
TheIdeaRoom.net

What I Like:
This is one of the first DIY gift ideas I ever pinned on Pinterest…and I like it as much today as I did then!

It’s just a classic idea.  Almost everyone uses liquid soap or hand sanitizer in a bottle (especially teachers! For good reason!). They are actually pretty cheap to buy….but I really hate the thought of throwing out a perfectly good plastic container.  I really do.  And this is SO much more attractive to have by your sink or on your desk than the ones you buy at the grocery store.  AND it’s got the monogram thing going for it….which I always consider a plus.

handmade gifts 4

Christmas {anytime} soap wrapper
at
fun.kyti.me

What I Like:
This one is a little different…but that’s what I like about it. :-)

handmade gifts 5

A lovely homemade bar of soap (or a pretty bar from the store) is a great gift all by itself…but wrap it up in these cute wrappers and you have something special!

These bars are dressed up for Christmas…but there are also some that are just pretty wrappers…perfect for any gifting occasion.  Bonus: they are free to download and print!

And last but not least (for TODAY)…
handmade gifts 6

fabric covered notebooks
at
BetweenTheLines.blogspot.com

What I like:
Inexpensive –  as in CHEAP! :-)
Broad appeal – Depending on the type of material you choose….these handy little notebooks could be well utilized by just about anyone!  Male, female, young, old, etc etc.
Multiple uses – journaling, doodling, note-taking, planning, etc.

I’m definitely going to make some of these (and set aside at least a couple for myself.)

And that’s enough for today….don’t want to send you into INSPIRATION OVERLOAD!  It’s only December 5th!  We’ve got PLENTY of time to do that! ;-)

Facebook39Twitter3Pinterest9491Google+2

Comments

If you are searching for adsense account google adsense profile you then definitely have the perfect placeYou may be at the ideal place if you are searching for adsense bill. It is possible to put together an google adsense profile within your company name and handle. If you require an adsense credit account, You can also let us know. We are able to buy your adsense account during 3 to 5 days of your energy, Go ahead and get in touch.

Yahoo and google adsense is just about the most effectively promoting strategy, right this moment over the internet.

How much cash it is possible to get paid with Adsense? . The perfect solution is A LOT of financial resources ! A good number of webpages bring in quite a few 100 euros each and every day, this will be a formula. The majority of folks who use Google adsense, accomplish this for three considerations: “I want to save yourself a couple of euros with Search engines Adsense without the need of attempt from me. ” Nearly all web master or page individual may well make some cash with Google adsense while avoiding considerably more endeavor than join the process and mixture the computer code on its web pages. Type of source of income for web property at tiny bit visitors.

1. DEBBIE says

YOU HAVE SUCH GREAT GIFT IDEALS,WITH THE WAY THE ECOMONY IS TODAY I AM LOOKING FOR HANDMADE IDEAL FOR CHRISTMAS GIFTS THIS YEAR,YOU ARE TRUELY A BLESSING .

THANKS, HAPPY CRAFTING
    DEB

2. CTY says

Because I cannot afford to give what is really needed (lots of cash), this year I challenged myself to make all the holiday gifts with the budget of $1 or less. My ideas came from Jillee & www, my own imagination and food items that I have been giving for years. The hardest part was choosing a gift that the recipient would go gaga over. Luckily I have a short list I give to. This is what I made. DH (Jillee’s recipe) Dove Body Wash and 4 Star Trek themed (I designed) paper snowflakes, Son 1 (27 yrs old) 2 dozen Star Wars themed snowflakes (dudecraft.com), D-inL- from felt a Harry Potter (just his face) Kindle cover (pinterest), Son 2 (23 yrs old) paper Super Hero & villains finger puppets (lovecity.com) also Dove Body wash. I broke the budget for my 7 month old granddaughter–spent about $5 -sorry can’t tell you what it was because I have applied for a patent (her college fund). Neighbors & other friends got food items and children got Paper Nativity Sets (like paper dolls) made from a paper box card (valitasdesignsandfreshfolds.com). the Nativity design was mine. Christmas was minimal because we help Son 2 with tuition all year long, and help son1 with groceries in the summer (he is a teacher & no pay checks in the summer). Everyone went gaga and said thank you over & over.

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored at wwork so I
    decided to browse your blog on myy iphone during lunch break.
    I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take
    a look when I get home. I’m ammazed at hoow quick your blog loaded on my cell phone
    .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow,
    awesome site!

The match is offered in supreme 3D graphics and an awesome seven. Addiction is
    when you can not stop oneself acquiring away from it and you need
    to have to do it a lot more and you crave it when it is not there.
    Although intended mostly for young young ones, individuals of all ages have
    located laptop video games very remarkable and entertaining.

Trying to make your ex lover jealous is one of the worst
    points you can do if you want to get back with your ex, considering that all
    it is going to do is show him that you have moved on and that he must do the exact
    same. Avoid obtaining dismayed if he is seeing somebody else, since you
    won’t be able to stop it no issue what you attempt.

The true filmaholic hears a song from the soundtrack
    and knows exactly where it comes in during the film.
    He, along with the other townspeople, watches the beautiful theater
    being demolished. This film continues a trend in fashionable CSI-CIA-crime
    composing deficiencies in knowledge of the fundamental concepts of know-how
    and that i guess it should not hassle lots of
    individuals even so for me your entire plot appeared instead
    forced.

If you want a smaller but higher quality picture then a Plasma
    TV would be a good option as these can be purchased at sizes up to 65 inches, and therefore still providing you with a big screen viewing experience.
    The style of a well used movie theater can be carried out using the structural arranging
    as part of your room. In some cases, surround sound is not possible in low frequency; however, it is not the case with Panasonic
    SC-PT480EB-K.

That is really interesting,You are an excessively professional blogger.

I have joined your rss feed and sit up for looking for morde of your magnificent post.
    Additionally, I have shared your web site in my social networks

If you have a home theatre system or a pair of loudspeakers then you will want to get the best
    possible sound quality and maximum potential from your speaker system.
    Actually, the cinema home systems subject is invaded
    by different terms which describe the same thing.
    9:30 pm Street Smarts: YAK Films’ Dance Then and Now – YAK Films is an international media production team whose work with urban dance began with the legendary Turf Feinz crew in Oakland, CA, innovators of the Turf dancing style.

An assignment to visit a bar, sample a beer, purchase a snack and check out the men’s cloakroom is
    not most women’s idea of a great shopping trip but getting paid
    to carry out such an assignment will sound like a good deal to many men. (The gears in the camera
    that pulled the film through was technology borrowed from clockwork.
    Now from these movies most of the people have been influenced in terms of their work and opting
    education in their field of interest.

The fact is that each and everything must be black and bright white as that
    the notion of the creation must be legibly drawn on a piece
    of paper. Besides, you can also avoid the rush of
    people in choosing the best of trinkets at local shops and unusual price
    bargains- one can easily get the attractively unique fashion jewels at home at amazingly reasonable
    prices compared to the conventional shops. that can offer you a great deal of
    fashion tips for your special occasion.

Very good article, all I needed to know is here!
    Superb, this article has everything in detail.
    Nice article, it was able to explain the idea of the subject
    well.
    Very nice read! Article was well written, covering important
    parts of the subject.
    Very good read, this article has most parts covered and explained.

If you are looking to buy a desktop PC for your home it is likely you will want it to perform a variety of tasks from basic
    things like sending emails and word processing to more complex tasks like downloading music and streaming video from the internet.
    In some cases, surround sound is not possible in low frequency; however, it
    is not the case with Panasonic SC-PT480EB-K.

A Greek chorus of historical figures, including Leonardo da Vinci and
    19th-century politician Giuseppe Garibaldi,
    add rueful comment on the characters and their troubles while arguing
    about Italy’s distressing current state of affairs. (The gears in the
    camera that pulled the film through was technology borrowed
    from clockwork. Now from these movies most of the people have been influenced in terms of
    their work and opting education in their field of
    interest.

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my
    own blog and was curious what all is required to get
    setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would
    cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative.

I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself spending way too much
    time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

In this particular process, any person close or of the family of the criminal
    defendant will contact a seasoned bail bond agent by the net, cell phone,
    or a live in-person visit. The legislation is designed to protect the rights of persons
    hurt working at sea. Apart from being a diligent lawyer, it is his impeccable work ethics that allowed him to resolve marriage procedure with ease.

the best possible sound quality and maximum potential from your speaker
    system. He, along with the other townspeople, watches the beautiful theater being demolished.
    In some cases, surround sound is not possible in low frequency; however, it is not the case with Panasonic SC-PT480EB-K.

Howdy! This blog post could not be written much better!
    Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He constantly kept preaching about this. I will send this information to him.
    Pretty sure he’s going to have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!

The lending standards for conventional mortgages have been revamped by Freddie personal unsecured
    loans Mac and Fannie Mae also buy these mortgages provided the
    loan conforms to their guidelines. Bad credit personal loans that are offered to you.
    For people Residential Rental Property Income & IRS Tax RulesPeople have many reasons for renting residential real estate.