Make Your Own Aromatherapy Mood Mists

aromatherapy mood mistsThe power of scent is a remarkable thing. It invokes such strong feelings that once you associate a particular smell with a certain emotion (think of the feeling of warmth and security associated with Mom’s fresh baked cookies!), simply smelling it in the future can evoke those same emotions.

But the power of scent doesn’t end there! It can actually benefit our health! Our sense of smell can actually connect to the brain and affect our mood and sense of well-being!

This is the premise behind Aromatherapy.

Aromatherapy utilizes essential oils, also known as plant hormones. The inhaled aroma from these oils stimulates the limbic system in the brain. The limbic system is a region that influences emotions and memories and is directly linked to the adrenals, pituitary gland, the hypothalamus, the parts of the body that regulate heart rate, blood pressure, stress, memory, hormone balance, and breathing. This makes the effects of essential oils immediate in bringing about emotional and physiological balance.

The array of essential oils that are available is almost mind-boggling, and each has its own healing properties, such as anti-bacterial, antiviral, diuretic, vasodilator, tranquilizing, and adrenal stimulating.

Luckily people much smarter than me have figured out what oils produce what effect.

These two aromatherapy “recipes” from Andrea Manitsas at Organic Authority are good examples of how different oils can actually affect our moods.

Plus, they sound like they could come in handy when life gets a little out of balance. :-)

essential oils

A Quick Pick-Me-Up

1 drop eucalyptus essential oil

2 drops geranium essential oil

3 drops peppermint essential oil

essential oils

Take it Down a Notch

2 drops bergamot essential oil

1 drop frankincense essential oil

3 drops lavender essential oil

To Make the Sprays

1. Fill a mini spray bottle with 4 ounces of pure distilled water.

2. Carefully put the selected blend of essential oils directly into the spray bottle.

3. Shake vigorously to combine.

Be sure to shake it before each use, as the water and essential oils tend to separate.

So which “mood mist” could YOU use about now?  :-)

sparknaturalsJillee

Share on Facebook38Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest2,743Google+4

Comments

• Jamie says

Using vodka works much better and does not leave that rubbing alcohol smell. It also helps to dry faster if you choose to use it as a room spray or a fabric spray in the Febeeze-ish fashion.

1. Deborah Jennings says

I think I could use the Quick Pick Me Up! I love the scented sprays. I used to buy mine, but now, thanks to you, I can make my own. I keep them in each of our bathrooms, and have a small one I carry in my purse for when I have to use a stinky public restroom.

Thank you so much for this! I am in love with your site and all your neat recipes and advice!

2. Faith says

One caution – people will try to tell you that no one has ever been allergic to a pure essential oil, but that’s actually not true. If you’re allergic to the plant (say, Juniper) you’ll be even more allergic to its distilled essence. Know your allergies and proceed with caution. If you’re blessed enough to not have allergies to work around – have fun! =)

• Debbra W says

I’m with Faith. I have asthma. When I spray anything it is in the air and I have to run for a neutral area of the home and I have to stay away for several hours. That means I can’t spray anything to clean it without wearing a surgical mask or the scary kind of mask that makes you look like an insect. Since I can’t spray anything, I gently pour some on a cleaning cloth and rub it on the woodwork to test, or onto an out of the way spot on the counter, whatever. It still smells good and I get to live.

3. Michelle says

I love this, could you recomend a place to purchase the Essential oils? Thanks Jillee

Hi Michelle….I have some links within the post above that will take you to Amazon.com where you can purchase essential oils. Or another good place to buy them is at your local health food store. :-)

The essential oils seem like a good idea. In college, I tried to make room freshener gels with cheap potpourri liquid. I liked them, but the potpourri made me sick. I had a headache every time I was in my room for a month before I figured it out. Essential oils probably wouldn’t give me a headache.

• Anita says

Sharla, I have to be VERY careful with “scents”. I’ve suffered from headaches all my life and MANY smells will set off headaches. Perfumes are the worst and many air fresheners. It seems the cheap stuff is much worse. As to essent. oils.. you’ll have to just try them out a little at a time and one at a time. I love lavender and do great with it. I also love the smell of Patchouli but found out the hard way if I smell if for more than a few minutes I will get a headache and I won’t go away until the smell is out of here. Even the perfume samples in magazines give me a headache without opening them. So just be careful when trying out new scents. For me it’s usually floral scents.

5. Bret Riel says

Some essential oils such as tea tree have demonstrated anti-microbial effects, but there is still a lack of clinical evidence demonstrating efficacy against bacterial, fungal, or viral infections. Evidence for the efficacy of aromatherapy in treating medical conditions remains poor, with a particular lack of studies employing rigorous methodology,`’:*

With best thoughts