Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Simple Handmade Gifts – Part Seven

Yikes!!  It’s December 4th!  We are entering the home stretch people! I thought I would squeeze in one more Handmade Gift Ideas post before it’s too late!  (See Part One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six here.)

I was inspired by the gift bags I have been putting together for our first annual One Good Thing By Jillee company Christmas Party. :-)  I thought it would be fun to include some “Jillee Favorites” in the bags, so I’m including Semi-Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix, Roasted Almonds, Honey Butter Ambrosia, and something NEW!  Hot Chocolate Stirring Spoons.

Since I am pressed for time this week (the party is tomorrow!) I decided to make a semi-homemade version of this popular food craft idea.

I was at the party store yesterday and my sister spotted these cute wooden spoons. Since I was already planning on including the Hot Chocolate in the gift bags…I thought a couple of Stirring Spoons would be fun to throw in too. Originally I was going to make them using silicone molds…but then I realized you can buy already “molded chocolate” in the candy aisle!  All the work has been done for you! :-)

hot chocolate stirring spoons

The tricky part was figuring out how to get the spoon and the chocolate to come together as one.

First, I tried heating the spoon and pushing it in the chocolate. Ummm…wooden spoons really don’t HEAT up that much. STRIKE ONE.

Second, I tried heating the chocolate pieces, ever-so-slightly, in the microwave and inserting delicately into the chocolate.  Ummm….flattened chocolate is not that attractive.  STRIKE TWO.

Third, I decided that if I couldn’t actually get the spoon INTO the chocolate….I could at least ATTACH it with chocolate. SUCCESS!  (Whew…STRIKE THREE was too close for comfort!)

Here is how I did it:

Melt about a 1/2 cup of chocolate (chips or some of the candy) in a microwave safe bowl

hot chocolate stirring spoons

Dip just the end of the wooden (or plastic) spoon into the melted chocolate and then carefully attach it to the top of the piece of chocolate candy.

hot chocolate stirring spoons

At this point I applied gentle pressure and a sort of a rocking back and forth method to get the tip of the spoon embedded just slightly into the chocolate candy. This helped the spoon to stand up until the “glue” (the melted chocolate) hardened.

hot chocolate stirring spoons

Once I had attached all the spoons to the pieces of chocolate, I set them all in the fridge for about 15 minutes to let them harden. Then I bagged them in cellophane bags and tied with some twine!

All ready to go in the gift bags!

hot chocolate stirring spoons

And here are the rest of the Simple Handmade Gift Ideas I’ve rounded up for this 7th installment:

Pretty DIY Storage Boxes

from Nicest Things

Tissue-Pack Cover

Scraps of bright print fabric are perfect for hiding unsightly tissue packs. Make them to match your room, your car, or your office.

from Better Homes and Gardens

DIY Marshmallow Shooters

by Moms Crafty Space

Adorable Baby Blocks

by Better Homes and Gardens

Can’t forget the Canines…..Carrot & Banana Natural Dog Treat

from 17 Apart

L.O.V.E. Bookends

from Pinterest

Multicolor Can Candleholder Set

from zulily

Made from chipped and rusted paint cans. Not a tutorial, but looks so simple I decided to add it.

Crafty Pin Cushions

by Rebecca Sower

handmade gifts

Shrink Your Favorite Books!

from Small World Land

Decoupage Pencils

by Craft and Creativity

DIY Surprise Card

by Craft and Creativity

DIY Duct Tape Gift Wrap

by The Sweetest Occasion

Chalkboard Paint Mugs

by Wit and Whistle

DIY Dollhouse Bookshelf

by Simple As That

handmade gifts

That’s all folks!  Hopefully something there will spark a creative idea….because let’s face it….it’s time to get serious!  There isn’t much time left ’til Santa’s Clause comes! :-)

Looking for MORE inspiration?  Check out “Simple Handmade Gifts” – Parts 1 through 6!  :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

18 thoughts on “Simple Handmade Gifts – Part Seven

1. Deb

The flower pin cushion is very cute . I have an old quilt that can’t be used on a bed any more . But I couldn’t bear to toss it . This is a good use for it. Problem is I didn’t see directions on the link . I hunted the web a little and found 50 pin cushions ideas on a posting of Tipnut. She also had a link to the Flower pin cushion.
    So I thought I would save others the trouble of looking and give the link .

Deb

2. Elizabeth

I think yesterday’s luminaries are a great gift especially for kids to give to grandparents/relatives. We actually sold a bunch of those and a few other crafts I found ok this site at our church St. Nicholas Faire. The kids made them (with help) as a fundraiser for youth activities.

3. Sarah

I get “you 404′d it, Gnarly Dude” errors on the links to installments 3 through 6 :( Specifically it says:

“YOU 404’D IT. GNARLY, DUDE.
    Surfin’ ain’t easy, and right now, you’re lost at sea. But don’t worry; simply pick an option from the list below, and you’ll be back out riding the waves of the Internet in no time.

Hit the “back” button on your browser. It’s perfect for situations like this!
    Head on over to the home page.
    Punt.”

4. Antoinette

I LOVE your blog!!! These are such cute ideas!! And affordable! ;)
    My family makes fun of me because most of my sentences start with “From Jill’s blog I made….”, or “I saw on Pinterest today…”
    They tease me, but my husband LOVES the body butter I make from your site!!

5. CTY

Ohhhh that ever so versatile twine. Great ideas! Like the spoons– I think I’ll use Lindt Chocolate balls–before I eat them all ;-) Guessing the chocolate is soft enough to press a lollipop stick inside, secure with melted chocolate & douse with sprinkles or crushed peppermint (make up your own to Chai spices to sprinkle on a white chocolate version) before the chocolate sets.
    Love the tissue holder too. I recently bought some Vera Bradley napkins because they were on clearance and now I know what to do with them. How pretty in the purse. Thinking they would be great for my No 2 son’s wedding shower (of course he’d have to get a girlfriend first). What do you want from me– I had boys and never got to do a Hope Chest.
    PS CINNAMON LOVERS ALERT
    Found this incredible recipe– what a cookie. Great tutorial too. Might could be even made gluten-free?

6. Linda Barnhart

Oh dear Jillee,

You are such a life saver. I know it’s only the 4th, but the days are going by so fast. I have Altoids to make today and little ribbon German stars to fold tonight. And I’ll make the chocolate spoons in between. Since I’ve found you, I’m now accumulating a nice supply of things to make home made gifts, from my heart….and yours! I see I need to find some clear bags for this one, but I have the pretty butchers twine now. Thanks for taking time to help out so many people. You are a blessing indeed. I so look forward to your postings very morning.

7. Comet

Again with the TWINE!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Gnashes teeth!!!!! Shakes fist at IKEA web site which failed to provide twine to the string deprived!!!!!!

Looks very cute tho!!!!!!!!!

And the other ideas are very clever!!!!!

8. Harriet

Hi Jillee,
    I’m living in Eastern Europe and i stumbled across your site, you see the thing is i’m a farmers wife, too houseproud and i love your blog! You make my morning when i read your blog, it helps me wake up at four in the morning when i have to milk cows in the freeeezing cold! Keep up the good work and thanks for all your great advice :)
    P.s In Bulgaria they make everything out of nothing here and i might just get a new trend going with all your crafty ideas and recipes :D x

9. Kathy Sweedyk

Hi Jillee – You continue to amaze me with all your great ideas, especially regarding your simple homemade gifts. But my new favorite gift idea you’ve overlooked which is understandable. What is it? Gift bags I fill with samples and recipes of your many great ideas! After all, what do you give as a housewarming gift to someone who already has everything? Why a bag with mattress freshener, pillow cleaning instructions, linen sheet spray, directions for cleaning washer, dryer and dishwasher. I also put in some favorite tips, mine and yours. I’ve had very positive responses thus far. Of course. every bag is customized for the recipient and the occasion. With the plethora of info on your site, I’m never at a loss for new “groupings” to assemble! The plus for me is getting to decorating the bags, boxes and containers, designing labels & recipe cards. Sounds like a win-win!

10. factory direct alibaba jewelry

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide
    credit and sources back to your weblog? My blog is in the
    very same area of interest as yours and my users would certainly
    benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Many thanks!

11. Pingback: Simple Handmade Gifts – Part Eight | One Good Thing by Jillee